• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever have amazing songs in your dreams?

justAjohn

I heard two songs in two different dreams. I can´t recount them, but the probably unbeatable quality of good feeling I had as I listened to them was not tarnished by the sadness they left behind as I realised I won´t hear them again.

This was, I think, what made me start on the "just enjoy the ride" approach to the life.

Airola

Yeah I remember listening to the absolute best song in my dreams at least a few times.
The experience was always amazing but I don't remember a note from those songs. I kinda remember the feeling though.

Often not long before I wake up, while still in deep sleep I will hear the most indescribably beautiful otherworldly music. There is a part of my awareness that wants to remember - to hold on, but it's so beautiful that I lose the desire to focus on anything other than the music.

I don't know if any others share this experience. I've asked a few people, but mostly just get a "you're weird" look. :p

Kinda I guess. Sometimes I wake up, and have good lyrics in my head. I have a note pad somewhere with lyrics from most of the times that's happened.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Nope, I rarely remember my dreams and can’t even tell you the last time I remembered, it’s been at least 4-5 years.
maybe the brain damage finally caught up

Dark Star

Quite often!

I'm a hobby musician, I produce/create music (playing guitar, drums, piano, making beats using DAW's - trap, bass, edm, etc). I'm always listening to music, too, so it makes sense that it would seep into my dreams. I've "written" music in my dreams, and it's always like "THE BEST SONG EVER" super catchy riffs and lyrics. And then I wake and very quickly forget the jingle haha.

I imagine this phenomenon also happens to mathematicians and physicists who are completely absorbed in their work, they somewhat "discover" or "see" new models and unique ideas in their dreams, but it clearly takes a very special dream for them to actually realize and remember it after waking up.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
It's a cheap multi effects pedal that goes for like 30 bucks online if you have any doubts about it's quality.
Well the Line 6 supports pedals. But it's solid state, so it already has a bunch of built in effects. Even a built in tuner. It's a very nice practice all and they're pretty cheap. Still prefer the tube amps though for a louder setting.

kingbean

Well the Line 6 supports pedals. But it's solid state, so it already has a bunch of built in effects. Even a built in tuner. It's a very nice practice all and they're pretty cheap. Still prefer the tube amps though for a louder setting.

I wish I could afford a tube amp. Currently I've only got solid state practice amps. I'm thinking I might get a Tiny Terror or something from orange and maybe a simple 1x12 to start if I need something louder.

Riven326

Banned
I wish I could afford a tube amp. Currently I've only got solid state practice amps. I'm thinking I might get a Tiny Terror or something from orange and maybe a simple 1x12 to start if I need something louder.
I tried one of the Line 6 hybrid amps. Very nice tone. That was when they were first introduced. Cheaper than a traditional tube amp and has all the benefits of a solid state. Not sure if they ever caught on.

kingbean

I tried one of the Line 6 hybrid amps. Very nice tone. That was when they were first introduced. Cheaper than a traditional tube amp and has all the benefits of a solid state. Not sure if they ever caught on.

I actually had a Line 6 modeling amp back in 2005 and it was pretty decent, but I traded it for an Ibanez 2x12.

Quite often!

I'm a hobby musician, I produce/create music (playing guitar, drums, piano, making beats using DAW's - trap, bass, edm, etc). I'm always listening to music, too, so it makes sense that it would seep into my dreams. I've "written" music in my dreams, and it's always like "THE BEST SONG EVER" super catchy riffs and lyrics. And then I wake and very quickly forget the jingle haha.

I imagine this phenomenon also happens to mathematicians and physicists who are completely absorbed in their work, they somewhat "discover" or "see" new models and unique ideas in their dreams, but it clearly takes a very special dream for them to actually realize and remember it after waking up.
I know this feeling all too well. Everytime I'm confident I'll remember it when I wake up that when I realise what's happening in my sleep, I tell myself "I've got this, I'll record that when I wake up." then when I do wake up, It's literally like someone wiped my memory with that device Tommy Lee Jones uses in Men in Black.

I've heard some artists are disciplined enough to wake themselves up to write ideas down.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, than I wake up depressed that I will never be able to create it in real life.

My dreams are usually absent of sound but I will sometimes wake up to hear music in my head for a little while before it fades away. For example, a week ago, it was the intro of this song which I had first listened to a couple days earlier.

Once I had a dream that The Dead Milkmen did a cover version of De La Soul's "Me Myself and I"

In my dream they even recreated the video. I was sad when I woke up, it was a good cover.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Very interesting. The only time I ever recall hearing sound was during this very horrific (nightmare? sleep paralysis episode?) dream. I don’t think I've ever been more acutely terrified for my being as I was on that night. I remember it well too. A very high level of stairs with the classic red carpet was the setting where it happened in said dream. It was as if an entity, a demon of some sort made a scream that pierced the souls. I am not kidding. This is all taking place in my mind in the dream, some very ominous entity created a scream that seemed like it went through my ear, to my brain and I felt the very core of my nature, my being at severe risk. I literally in my mind, thought I was being claimed by an evil entity. Of what that entity looked like or was, I have zero clue or recollection. But I screamed for God with all my might. I believe I was screaming “God” and maybe “God, help” but I definitely know I was screaming for God and possibly even Jesus and that’s when I awoke. I thought that when I had finally escaped from that episode and my eyes were finally opened, my mom or bro would have been running at my door or perhaps the neighbors would ask what’s going on or call the police. Nothing. But I could have sworn I was screaming at the top of my lungs, with all my might for God. If was either all in my nightmare or whatever that was, or an internal struggle from within. Whatever it was, the experience was surreal. I don’t ever want to have anything close to something like that happening again. I can’t describe it well, because the feeling was nearly out of our range of fathom I truly think, but I’m pretty sure I was dealing with forces I knew very little about. I believe I might have been visited by an evil spirit wishing to take my soul? I don’t know, but I am sure of how real it felt in my mind, and I was definitely feeling a fear that instinctively called out for my very being to call for God to help. I don’t know what that was, but that’s the story of the only time I can recall sound of any kind in a dream

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song in any dream, that I can recall at least

mango drank

Yeah, happens from time to time. Sometimes, when I remember the tune, I whistle it into my voice recorder app to remember for later.

Related: last night I dreamt that Muse was introducing a new music video for their song Map of the Problematique, and explaining that the song was secretly about sex all along. Then they debuted the video, and the lyrics included the line "Girl, I wanna cream your onions." :pie_thinking:

Kev Kev

thats funny, im a musician and i cant hardly recall hearing music in my dreams. if i did it was just little doodle of songs/instruments, but never whole songs from a 4 piece band or whatever.

the one and only times i specifically remember hearing music that wasnt an incoherent mess or just a blurb of an instrument, was in this one dream where me and my family were being hunted/exterminated by the government. it felt very city 17ish (from half life), and they started playing sad piano music over all f of the PA speakers throughout the area. i figured out in my dream that they were trying to demoralize us so we would give up or accept our fate, thus making it easier to kill us.

it was fucked up.

thats funny, im a musician and i cant hardly recall hearing music in my dreams. if i did it was just little doodle of songs/instruments, but never whole songs from a 4 piece band or whatever.

the one and only times i specifically remember hearing music that wasnt an incoherent mess or just a blurb of an instrument, was in this one dream where me and my family were being hunted/exterminated by the government. it felt very city 17ish (from half life), and they started playing sad piano music over all f of the PA speakers throughout the area. i figured out in my dream that they were trying to demoralize us so we would give up or accept our fate, thus making it easier to kill us.

it was fucked up.

I mean just a melody or a guitar part

lock2k

Banned

it was fucked up.

Also a musician.

I had whole songs structured in dreams and even fake songs by legit artists I like. Imagine the disappointment when waking up lmao

MastAndo

Gold Member
A few times right before falling asleep, I've come up with songs that I thought were just incredible. I've thought I should keep a pen and pad at my bedside so I can jot things down, but I keep forgetting.

In my waking hours, I play a little guitar and bought a midi keyboard recently - when I try to create anything decent on those, nothing happens. Go figure.

Tesseract

Banned
for as much music as i listen to, i'm always surprised by how silent my dreams appear to be

like beksinski paintings, they are

Nymphae

Banned
I read some time ago that if you smoke weed frequently, and past a certain time of day, you don't dream. I have found this to be the case for years now, I was a daily smoker and would smoke right up until going to bed every night basically. Haven't had a dream in years.

Now that I've temporarily stopped, the dreams are back. Last night I dreamt that I was in some mom & pop convenience store, and I was late for ordering the Analogue Pocket lol. I was yelling about it in the store and I commandeered a nearby PC they had to try and make the sale, and everything I typed to try and get me to the website was wrong, I kept making typing errors and freaking out. I then woke up, and a couple of hours later tried and failed to order one. Spooky.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Songs in dreams would be a huge welcome considering dreams from what i understand are more about situations

-Arcadia-

Banned
Very, very rarely, in the weirdest dreams, and close to waking up. It is awesome though. A little like living in your own Hollywood scene with soundtrack.

Mistake

Never had a song, but I’ve been lucid on more than one occasion. Also, anyone I know personally will act the same as they always do, no matter the circumstances. It makes some funny situations.

I remember writing and playing a few songs in dreams that were world changing...transcendent..then wake up and i just remember that they had some really powerful drone or strong presence to the sound

Top Bottom