• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever reach out to developers to thank them?

Nymphae

Banned
I wouldn't equate purchasing a game with sending a thank you letter/email/whatever. You're certainly supporting the developer/publisher, and I'm sure it's much appreciated, but in return you're getting a product you'll hopefully derive much enjoyment from. You're making a trade. Taking the time to send a message of appreciation, to go out of your way to directly tell a developer what you thought about their game and how it affected you, is a different act, and one I would imagine isn't done nearly enough in comparison to all the trolling and useless negativity swirling about out there.

I don't think I've ever done it myself. I've sent emails with feedback, I've posted on forums showing love for a game, but I don't think I've ever made a conscious effort to personally show my appreciation for a developer's work. I'll begin doing that.

Good post, and it makes me happy to see some of you are taking this opportunity to consider doing more of this type of thing in the future. We need to balance out all the hate these guys get.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand why people are more willing to send criticisms then words of thanks. I've done it before too, message a dev or someone about something that irked me about their game or what not. Which can certainly be helpful, but there's constructive criticism, and then there's just general complaining and negativity, which I'm doubtful has much of a positive effect, and it probably just gets lost in the noise of all the other hate/negativity.

I constantly chat with the co-CEO from Quantic Dream over twitter. So yes I made sure to express to him how much I like their games, which he appreciated.

suikodan

I saw Itagaki at e3 in 2004 and I was there at the e3 2002's Ninja Gaiden reveal. I jumped on the occasion to thank him for that game.

I also met Mr Miyamoto and Kojima there but didn't have to occasion to thank them. I don't know if they cared anyway ;)

On a lighter side of things, a good friend of mine worked on Assassin's Creed 3 and did a really good job of pumping me up about the game. Once I finished the game almost by force (since I hated it), I did thank him for scrapping the franchise. ;)

I haven't thanked anyone specifically for simply making games which I've paid for, but I have emailed a few contacts to congratulate them when a game goes gold, and to let them know how the work they've done is working in the real world, since the discussions are on a technical basis not a social one.

I've certainly given positive feedback in my emails, but explicitly saying "thank you" for making games? No, only for stuff like beta invites, and them taking the time out of their day to respond to me.

Baleoce

The amount of aversion in this thread for saying thank you to someone for creating something you liked is... baffling. To even suggest that the only reason people who work their asses off to get good jobs as concept artists, animation artists, composers, scrip writing, sound designers, etc etc. is simply for the green that you pay, and not to actually hear about your enjoyment of the game, or perhaps the part they specifically worked on / helped create, is such an insulting concept. Who on earth would try to simplify liking/appreciation of a product, directly to the revenue.

You love the art direction in a game? Try thanking whoever was a part of that team. You love the soundtrack? Thank the composer. It's really not that hard a concept.

Noogy

As a developer I'm surprised at how many fans take the time to say thanks. Every time it sort of takes me by surprise, especially when your title has touched them in some way.

Nowadays, with stuff like Twitter, I find myself thanking other developers more. It's easier when the team is small and you can put a face to the game.

The_Monk

I do it every now and then fellow GAFfer.

Usually when I purchase a game or I finish one I write them a humble e-mail thanking their team for the effort and for making a good game. When I write something is it via e-mail or a letter (physical form). I almost always get an answer and I'm very happy to not only get an answer but also to get a nice answer. It must feel great for them to know how happy their consumers are and also, it feels great, as a consumer when you are heard and they thank you for the time and patience invested while writing something.

From, Guerrilla, Dice, Remedy, Respawn and many more "big companies" I got answers. I sent them some letters with the good old stamp and envelope and their replied via e-mail. When it comes to indie developers they are faster to answer and sometimes is it via Twitter or e-mail too. I'm actually surprised that, not only many of them replied but also, they spent their time doing so. :)

Oh and not only developers! There are great people who work in the community manager area who do an incredible job with their consumers! From Santa Monica studios to Turn10 studios I've met, talked and sent my letters and they were simply incredible. Amazing people, kind and most important, they always were ready for any question showing support and passion for what they love to do.

------------

I only had one case where not only I never got an answer but they did some sort of damage control: Insomniac. A company who made so many great, amazing titles. I once wrote a letter to them. The biggest one I ever wrote explaining how happy I was for their games, how important they were for my loved one, who, in the past had cancer (Leukemia, but thank God survived!) and while she had cancer, gaming was there to pass the time after those painful sessions. It was not an e-mail but an actual letter with extra packaging. I paid extra for a tracking postage, paid extra for a bigger package since I wanted to make sure it would arrive well at the destination. Back in the day I got the info that they did receive the package. While I did not expect any answer I always wondered if they even read all of that. I would be okay to not expect a answer, it's more than okay.

Later on, when FUSE was about to get released, some threads start to surface here, in this fine community. "FUSE Unboxing", others about the Story and so on. Many of there were locked due the negativism from many people. I shared this story to some good fellow GAFfers in those threads and after reading this they were a bit surprised for me never getting a reply after such touching letter and effort (both time and money). It didn't take long for two known members from Insomniac who also post here to show interest about my "issue" (it was okay, nothing serious so I wouldn't call a issue). They said they were sorry, they usually answer or at least check their e-mail from fans and if I took so much effort of time and money as well a lot of heart, the least they could do was to check in their offices where that package was. I explained all the details. I got several PM's from GAFfers asking about what I wrote just for curiosity sake. I answered them all. Days passed and I got some PM's from them (the people who work at Insomniac) they asked for some time since they were busy. I said sure, it's more than okay. More days passed and never got an answer. Went to ask them about this on Twitter and they replied that they were very busy since it was the release week of FUSE. After the game was released I asked back and they never replied... It was just a little public damage control in here and they left me wishing they could take some effort but either way it was nothing serious and I don't regret my money and time wasted. I just don't see the point of pretending to care only to never answer back.

I think we should show them more love from time to time. We complain sometimes without balancing that with appreciation. If you haven't noticed already, everyone involved in the industry is annoyed by each other - gamers too.

LiK

As a developer I'm surprised at how many fans take the time to say thanks. Every time it sort of takes me by surprise, especially when your title has touched them in some way.

Nowadays, with stuff like Twitter, I find myself thanking other developers more. It's easier when the team is small and you can put a face to the game.

I will continue to harass you :D

Mr Git

I generally thank the Norse gods and the universe for Platinum Games pretty regularly. Actually I should send a tweet, been meaning to for ages. Cheers OP I shall barrage devs with gratitude from now on. :)

Musolf815

Yup, Sucker Punch sent me a card and a Sly 3 demo. Later I sent another email thanking them for that stuff and their games and they sent a nice one back. Sanzaru never wrote back...

Baleoce

I assumed they don't give a fuck about anything but my money.

Again though, when you have this perception, are you thinking this with regards to the publisher? (In which case you're most likely correct), or with regards to the team that worked on the game? For example, I'm sure the composer would love to know that you adored their soundtrack.

Skinless

After playing Infinite, I sent Ken Levine a gushing tweet, talking about how I had an incredible experience with the game and even claiming: "I live to play your masterpieces!"

He gave me no acknowledgement, not even bothering himself to hit the "favorite" button... I died a little inside that day...

NFreak

Back when Big Bang Mini came out on the DS I emailed Arkedo to thank them and tell them how much I liked the game. I'm not sure if I did this because I just enjoyed the game that much or I knew it wasn't going to sell very well...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I assumed they don't give a fuck about anything but my money.

Check the thread title, it says developers. This is referring to a very wide variety of people, in a wide variety of positions. I don't think anyone is sending thank you letters to Bobby Kotick or Andrew Wilson.

Seik

Banned
I recently thought about sending Platinum Games a hand written letter to thank them for all the awesome titles they made last gen and making this gen as well. I'd like to tell them how much needed they are in the industry that's begging for more creativity like their work.

Them and Atlus are my most respected devs this gen.

Solidsoul

Banned
If I feel they need to hear all the positive feedback they can get due to an over-abundant amount of negativity, I will make an effort.

Recently wrote on crytek twitter thanking them for all the hardwork on Ryse, it's an awesome game and the hardwork shows through the product. I hope for a sequel.

Also, wrote on Lionheads twitter thanks for making Fable Anniversary exactly the way I wanted it, with all original glitches and issues intact, and new clean HD graphics that stay true to the original.

Though paying full retail for their game I would agree does say thanks enough.

Roto13

Sometimes if I'm talking up a game on Twitter, I'll tag the developer in the tweet, because why not? And I have complimented developers' work in rare instances where I've met them. I don't exactly thank them, though.

Yaqoub

I do all the time if I can find them on Twitter.

I know that the fact that I gave them my money for their work would count as a thank you but it feels more personal to contact them and thank them verbally as well -- especially if I find their work to be exceptional.

Since 99% of the games I'm thankful for are Japanese I usually just thank the localization companies.

I have thanked Kamiya and Uchikoshi for Bayonetta/Zero Escape though.

I like to tweet devs or publishers for my favorite games.

I thanked Treasure for porting Ikaruga to Steam. For some reason they're following me on Twitter now.

:lol

Roto13

I like to tweet devs or publishers for my favorite games.

I thanked Treasure for porting Ikaruga to Steam. For some reason they're following me on Twitter now.

:lol

I talked about how bad Bit.Trip Beat was and Commander Video started following me.

And I trashed Kotaku and Nick Denton started following me.

Those were weird.

colon

I used to write letters to companies whose games I enjoyed back when I was a teen. Usually would just get generic replies back or pamphlets promoting their other upcoming games.

Haven't really done it in a long time though, even though it is much easier to do it through Twitter, e-mail and FB these days.

Quesy Games picked a song of mine in Sound Shapes to be featured in a Milkcrate (the Extended Plays one) and they messaged me to send me a code for some free DLC. We ended up conversing back and forth a little bit and I got to tell them how important the game is to me and how glad I am that they (he) made it. They were very appreciative.

It honestly felt great to express that appreciation one-on-one to a developer I respected.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
If buying the game isn't enough, fuck it.

A lot of the time we get much more entertainment and value than those measly 60 dollars are worth, I think its good to appreciate that. Lets not act like we are doing them some huge favors for buying their game. Id say that given the state of the industry and how much more it costs to make a game compared to previous generations, its the other way around.

Nymphae

Banned
Haven't really done it in a long time though, even though it is much easier to do it through Twitter, e-mail and FB these days.

This is what gets me, it's soooo much easier to do this nowadays but the majority of us don't, or would rather spread negativity (either out of some false sense of it being "constructive criticism", or simply an attempt at humour), either because we think we're too busy, or the effort will go unnoticed, or that it simply doesn't matter. I think all of these are excuses, we have no reason to not reach out and encourage people in our incredibly connected world.

It honestly felt great to express that appreciation one-on-one to a developer I respected.

I think people underestimate how good it makes you feel, as well as the person receiving the thanks. Haters should try it sometime!

I sent Gaben an e-mail after Portal 2 came out to tell him how much I enjoyed the game and everything Valve does and he replied with a "Thanks, Mike" Short and sweet but man did it make me happy to know he read it.

Skinless

I sent Gaben an e-mail after Portal 2 came out to tell him how much I enjoyed the game and everything Valve does and he replied with a "Thanks, Mike" Short and sweet but man did it make me happy to know he read it.
What I've gotten from reading this thread is that perhaps just as important as thanking the developers, is getting acknowledgement from the developers of our thank you's.

No I don't.

But given how much entertainment I get out of them I really should do it more often. Some games have gotten me through some bleak times. Some other world to throw myself into when the real world gets too real is a great gift that we really should appreciate more than we do.

Money makes them possible, but dreamers and masochists make them a reality.

All the time. Same with an author of a book I found extremely compelling, etc..

Maybe because being here in SF I am literally surrounded by people that work on video games or are connected to the industry, that it's less of an abstraction for me? I connect the email or tweet of thanks I send to that dev I ran into at the bar, coffee shop, or wandering about Moscone during GDC i.e. people that appreciate that kind of sincere recognition and thanks
and obviously my money.

inm8num2

On a couple of occasions I've been in touch with developers of smaller/indie games and expressed my appreciation for their work. It's also great to be a part of crowdfunding campaigns - you get to know the developer a bit, and there are various opportunities for communicating with them on a forum or even directly.

Aurongel

This is NeoGAF, why would I want to thank a developer for their hard work on their product? I'd much rather tell recently laid off Take Two employees how mediocre their last game was and how they got what was coming to them.

...Right?

excowboy

I had a lovely exchange over Facebook with GAF's own Dean Dodrill to thank him for the excellent Dust: An Elysian Tale which I absolutely loved. He's a great guy!

SJRB

Gold Member
This is NeoGAF, why would I want to thank a developer for their hard work on their product? I'd much rather tell recently laid off Take Two employees how mediocre their last game was and how they got what was coming to them.

...Right?

Wrong.

Anyway, I like sending Twitter messages to devs every once in a while after I finish a game. Barely ever get a response though.

I thank them in person at events when I get the chance.

I don't send them e-mails because I personally find answering e-mails a chore, and I likely get a fraction of what they do. I don't thank them on Twitter because I really don't think we should be encouraging anyone to use Twitter in a semi-professional capacity. You can say you thanked Phil Fish over Twitter, but a better "thanks" might have been getting him off Twitter so that it didn't push him into such a bad place to begin with.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't do it as often as I should, but I do occasionally reach out to thank people in the industry for the games of theirs that I enjoyed playing. I've gotten some responses back, and it's been a nice feeling all round! When you're dealing with creatives who are often putting in long, unpaid hours to perfect their creations, you come to realise that a simple word of thanks directed to them does a lot to make it worthwhile. The assumption that snatching your cold, hard cash out from your wallet is all anybody cares about is unfairly cynical.

Top Bottom