• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel the need to rebuy PS5 DC physical releases

ps4 but ps5 disc games

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Yes - But I wait for a discount to rebuy ps4 games on ps5

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Yes - But I only buy digital updates/DC

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is obviously a question to physical disc buyers.
For now I have only bought digital patches/claimed free ps5 updates for games like Uncharted 4, Death Stranding or Final Fantasy 7 remake because of the price. 5$ is ok.
But there are more and more of these and there are few reasons why some might want to update their physical library now or in the future.
I like the preservation aspect and "ownership" aspect of physical games. I know that there are day1 patches but both ps4 releases and ps5 for most single player releases are still "playable" and fully finished games this way.
You CAN play Days Gone gold disc version. It will be pain buy you have what you paid for and what was approved for release. I just wish patches were downloadable to usb stick like it was on 360.

And I would like to replace all the ps4 labeled cases for ps5.
This time it is really weird as even some new releases like Mass Effect Trilogy, do not have ps5 versions at all. Buying ps4 game in 2021 in order to play on ps5 feels almost like a scam.
PS4 and PS5 versions are almost merging and mixing together. Many games have essentially PS5 version but only via patch like Days Gone. In that case, I would feel scammed buying ps5 disc just for the patch.
If it's a directors cut and the free update for ps4 does not bring it to the same level like Death Stranding, then it's a different story.

I understand this is a tired topic. I have like 600 games on steam... and I do not resent it. I just find it comforting to have a fully playable physical version of a game. I realize it is going away and soon we are all going to switch to fully digital, subscription based services... and I will hate it.
But for now - I like to curate my small collection of favorite games which nobody will take away from me.
And the backwards compatibility is comforting. ps4 collection have not died like it often was with gen transitions. But if ps6 won't have a disc drive, then it will be troublesome...

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If update is free - that's nice.
If I have the game, haven't play it, will eventually play it on PS5 and update costs around 5€ - I'll go with that.

No way I'm paying full price again for a patch / case with PS5 logo just so my shelf looks more PS5-ish.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on the game. But I usually wait a long fucking time to pick up games so in most cases I buy the remaster/complete edition anyway. As an example, I didn't buy FF7 remake or Death Stranding when they came out on PS4 because it was so obvious they would get a new release on PS5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The challenge is knowing whether all of the content is actually on the disc when you buy a director's cut. Or any game for that matter, so I'm hesitant to buy physical without confirmation. On principle I wait for a discount on rereleases. No reason to pay full price twice.

Last edited:

Miles708

The challenge is knowing whether all of the content is actually on the disc when you buy a director's cut. Or any game for that matter, so I'm hesitant to buy physical without confirmation. On principle I wait for a discount on rereleases. No reason to pay full price twice.

For most releases you can find this info prertty easiliy thankfully.
I have more than 50 games on PS4, all physical, and i didn't update any of them! Not even day one patches. Fuck that shit. The only games i've downloaded any patch for are No Man's Sky and DriveClub.
It's certainly easier if you don't plan on playing online.

It is 100% doable but you need to be pragmatic about it. Horizon, Souls games, God of War and most big releases are thankfully not much trouble.
For others, the rule is simple: if there is a big day one patch addressing big bugs, i simply delete that game for my purchase list. I have lots of games, i can live without one.
DLC, subsquent patches, new features: simply ignore. Games are long enough already, i don't have time for additional content anyway.

For the OP: in the case of Days Gone be aware that there is a "new" physical version including many of the patches released in the meantime, so you might want to check and go for that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For most releases you can find this info prertty easiliy thankfully.
I have more than 50 games on PS4, all physical, and i didn't update any of them! Not even day one patches. Fuck that shit. The only games i've downloaded any patch for are No Man's Sky and DriveClub.
It's certainly easier if you don't plan on playing online.

It is 100% doable but you need to be pragmatic about it. Horizon, Souls games, God of War and most big releases are thankfully not much trouble.
For others, the rule is simple: if there is a big day one patch addressing big bugs, i simply delete that game for my purchase list. I have lots of games, i can live without one.
DLC, subsquent patches, new features: simply ignore. Games are long enough already, i don't have time for additional content anyway.

For the OP: in the case of Days Gone be aware that there is a "new" physical version including many of the patches released in the meantime, so you might want to check and go for that.
Didn't knew there is a new Days gone version ! I have the original ps4 release.
I like the way you think. All these games were most likely playable and approved for release (gold). And often reviewers give out 9s and 10s without even day1 patch.
So certainly the games are playable but I would still always update since I don't have limited internet.
I just like to know that I own the real game on a disc

Miles708

Didn't knew there is a new Days gone version ! I have the original ps4 release.
I like the way you think. All these games were most likely playable and approved for release (gold). And often reviewers give out 9s and 10s without even day1 patch.
So certainly the games are playable but I would still always update since I don't have limited internet.
I just like to know that I own the real game on a disc

You have to be aware that some games (like Death Stranding) make saves not back-compatible. That means that if you uninstall the game, next time you will have to also re-dwonaload the patches to use your saved game.
That's why i always go with GOTY editions (if they have the content on-disc) and avoid patching altogether. It's crucial to know just how broken a game's 1.0 version is, to filter that out right away.

Basically my pre-purchase data-checking has gone from "is this game good" to "is this game functional".

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You have to be aware that some games (like Death Stranding) make saves not back-compatible. That means that if you uninstall the game, next time you will have to also re-dwonaload the patches to use your saved game.
That's why i always go with GOTY editions (if they have the content on-disc) and avoid patching altogether. It's crucial to know just how broken a game's 1.0 version is, to filter that out right away.

Basically my pre-purchase data-checking has gone from "is this game good" to "is this game functional".
I don't care about saves. I like replay my games from the beginning.
But good to know, thanks

sn0man

Not to derail but I don’t want to start a thread that console warriors jump on. Do you physical collectors feel weird about PS4/5 games now with PC? What I mean is that normally I like to collect the directors cut, goty, or whatever definitive release. Often I’m motivated by content. Something though I’m motivated by better resolution and frame rate. For example, TLOURemastered on PS4 was great to collect for the steady frame rate as much as the Ellie mission.

Now with PC releases like Horizon and Days Gone, the definitive release is a digital PC release. What do I get now?

Last edited:

Miles708

Going physical on PC makes no sense since it's a voucher anyway, so that's something.
It depends on where you want to play really. Usually i don't want to sit at my desk at home after sitting at my desk all day at work, so i prefer going the console physical route. That means that PC editions don't really make a difference to my choices.

That said, if i would game on PC, i would just check if the game is available on GOG. Spending money on any other store makes no sense.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I only ever buy physical if it's significantly cheaper than digital or if I have some emotional connection.

Top Bottom