• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel this community is thicker skinned and less uptight than other message board communities?

Getting banned on Reee was great. It brought me home.
Same here..
I usually refrained from posting there, anyway, since I was always scared of being banned.
When I started posting a bit, I was permabanned within three days for having an opinion about how women think in relationships.. :D

It feels to good to be back here again..

Love you, guys
(no homo)

Drake

I remember before the moderation change I used to keep my political opinions to myself because if you even showed a hint of conservatism then you would be banned. It got to the point where I would say the most ridiculous over the top SJW, liberal shit just to see what I could get away with. One of my gems was saying that if you disagreed with anything that Hillary said then that made you a misogynist. Got a lot of people agreeing with me too. It was hilarious.

I remember before the moderation change I used to keep my political opinions to myself because if you even showed a hint of conservatism then you would be banned. It got to the point where I would say the most ridiculous over the top SJW, liberal shit just to see what I could get away with. One of my gems was saying that if you disagreed with anything that Hillary said then that made you a misogynist. Got a lot of people agreeing with me too. It was hilarious.
I've been doing the same thing on Era for some time now. I wonder how many other people are like me and we're just trolling each other while saying complete garbage stuff.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
at this point i've been on/off a number of boards. i can tell troll behavior better and can take the steps to remove myself pre-emptively from flame wars i might otherwise have gotten into. the "ignore" button is doing wonders for this LOL.

but yeah in general i try and not get too involved. if there's ever an argument i'm likely to dip after 2-3 posts saying my take. no reason to die on a hill for some conversation that will be out of my control anyways.

Gargus

Banned
No.

Everyone thinks they are smart, thick skinned, not judgemental and more laid back when they are surrounded by others who think similar to them. That's the thing about communities. They all feel as if they are great because they have other people just like them around to make themselves all feel like they are great when really they are all just alike. Meanwhile the other communities think the same thing and other communities aren't as good.

Hell even the nazis thought they were the shit as much as the rest of the world thought they were shit. Just depends on which side of the fence you're on.

Papa

Banned
No.

Everyone thinks they are smart, thick skinned, not judgemental and more laid back when they are surrounded by others who think similar to them. That's the thing about communities. They all feel as if they are great because they have other people just like them around to make themselves all feel like they are great when really they are all just alike. Meanwhile the other communities think the same thing and other communities aren't as good.

Hell even the nazis thought they were the shit as much as the rest of the world thought they were shit. Just depends on which side of the fence you're on.

This is some smoothbrain both sides shit

I think the moderation is great, but I don't think any poster is thicker skinned or less narcissistic as a whole. The moderation sets the tone. On Restera the moderation is really bad and out of control. You have to have the right opinion, say the right things or you get banned. On here if you go at evilore a certain way you get banned, but that's like a tiny thing. There are some questionable bans here, but it's rare and not a big deal.

Last edited:

SiteSeer

speaking of thick skin, just caught a ban over in resetera for a fortnight on a pun over the word 'fluid'. so billy dee williams just did an interview were he referred to himself as gender fluid using the words himself and herself. op leads off with a title 'such and such fluidity in interview'. i post a picture of him in an ad from his colt 45 days and write 'billy d has always been fluid. cheers.' some don't get the joke and i refresh with a 'billy d moves from one fluid to another'. boom banned. it is strictly a pun on the word fluid, but i guess in a thread that references gender identity i inadvertently kicked a hornets nest. i mean if the guy bought a big ass boat there would be a fluid joke in there somewhere too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
speaking of thick skin, just caught a ban over in resetera for a fortnight on a pun over the word 'fluid'. so billy dee williams just did an interview were he referred to himself as gender fluid using the words himself and herself. op leads off with a title 'such and such fluidity in interview'. i post a picture of him in an ad from his colt 45 days and write 'billy d has always been fluid. cheers.' some don't get the joke and i refresh with a 'billy d moves from one fluid to another'. boom banned. it is strictly a pun on the word fluid, but i guess in a thread that references gender identity i inadvertently kicked a hornets nest. i mean if the guy bought a big ass boat there would be a fluid joke in there somewhere too.

Witty joke that would get laughs here. Leave them to their authoritarian utopia.

Drake

The fact that you can say this community is thinned skinned is laughable. Literally any political view point is welcome here and as long as you're not an overtly hateful ass you won't get banned. Yes, we do lean more conservative, but conservatives are way more welcoming of opposing view points than liberals.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
The fact that you can say this community is thinned skinned is laughable. Literally any political view point is welcome here and as long as you're not an overtly hateful ass you won't get banned. Yes, we do lean more conservative, but conservatives are way more welcoming of opposing view points than liberals.

I wouldn’t even say GAF leans conservative. Maybe conservative relative to Ree, Reddit and Twitter but that’s just moderate left from 10 years ago. The current_year Overton Window is fucked up. Thanks Hilldog.

RevengeOfToonces

Neo Member
Neogaf was my go-to comedy forum until the mass exodus happened. Whenever I needed a good laugh, I'd come here. For a good five or so years, this place harbored some of the nastiest and most pathetic circle of people on the internet I'd ever seen. Tattletales and professional victims always looking for something to complain about. It was even worse than tumblr or twitter. That tranny with the Minnie Mouse avatar was my favorite. Reading those posts, I was just like - "How can one person possibly be this miserable?"

I forgot I even registered an account here after the site's "reboot" and haven't visited in like a year. Just dropping in, and reading the forum now is almost surreal, but it's nice to see such a momentous turnaround. Is Tyler still in charge of this place? Dude, if you're reading this, you were the Dr. Frankenstein of wokeness lol. I can't believe you ever let it get that far.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Because this is the moderation team on resetera

SfrTUCF.jpg

Papa

Banned
Neogaf was my go-to comedy forum until the mass exodus happened. Whenever I needed a good laugh, I'd come here. For a good five or so years, this place harbored some of the nastiest and most pathetic circle of people on the internet I'd ever seen. Tattletales and professional victims always looking for something to complain about. It was even worse than tumblr or twitter. That tranny with the Minnie Mouse avatar was my favorite. Reading those posts, I was just like - "How can one person possibly be this miserable?"

I forgot I even registered an account here after the site's "reboot" and haven't visited in like a year. Just dropping in, and reading the forum now is almost surreal, but it's nice to see such a momentous turnaround. Is Tyler still in charge of this place? Dude, if you're reading this, you were the Dr. Frankenstein of wokeness lol. I can't believe you ever let it get that far.

The turnaround has been largely his doing. Yes, as site owner he was ultimately responsible for what happened prior to the split, but I think his biggest mistake was crossing the streams of prominent members and moderators and then over-delegating responsibility to unscrupulous and ideologically-driven moderators who then undermined him and stabbed him in the back. Hindsight is great, but I think few saw what was going on in the lead-up to the split. A certain amount of empathy and forgiveness is therefore deserved in my opinion. I think most of the regulars here appreciate what he has done over the past two years and have his back. Call me a suck-up, whatever, I don't care, I'll give him my opinion as I see it, including if I think he's made a mistake.

As far as I can tell from what he has said post-split, he underwent a period of intense introspection and has learned what went wrong and how to prevent it in future. He's more directly involved these days and has put a much better/more transparent moderation process in place. All bans are publicly visible in the ban log (https://www.neogaf.com/bans/) and must include a detailed ban reason to avoid stealth bans on ideological grounds. There is also a ban review/justice project to help overturn the bans of those who were wrongly banned in the past (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-ban-review-justice-project.1463407/). Speech is much more free and there is no top-down enforcement of opinions. This has resulted in a competition of ideas and, naturally, winners and losers as a result. The losers still whine and try to invert the system like losers of any competition do, but the lack of direct moderator intervention (see: coddling) and a reaction score system has helped with this by establishing a natural social hierarchy as determined by the user base.

I don't know you or your history with GAF, but if you like discussing games and controversial ideas with the freedom to express your opinion (we do still have rules around console warring/real racism/etc.) then I encourage you to come back and participate more regularly.

Papa

Banned
We also have a good Reeeeeeeee thread if all you want to do is point and laugh. Nothing wrong with that but I don't consider you a real GAFer if it's the only place you post.

Keihart

tbh, the posibility of having legit discussions about videogames in this board is what i like about it. It's not like 100% the time you have every poster being open to the possibility, but more often than not, it is the case. That seems to be more than what i can say about most places about gaming on the internet.

RevengeOfToonces

Neo Member
We also have a good Reeeeeeeee thread if all you want to do is point and laugh. Nothing wrong with that but I don't consider you a real GAFer if it's the only place you post.

Hey, relax guy. I'm still feeling the site out. Been browsing a little. Mostly that thread though lol. Reeee truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom