• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find yourself purchasing more PSN/Steam/XBLA games than retail games?

snitsky

The first couple years of this gen I did spend a lot on downloadable games, but the prices jumping from $10 to $15-20 really did put a stop to it. At $10- 800 points it was pretty easy for me to take a chance on something, now I have to be pretty sure it's a game I'm going to like to drop that kind of money on it. I'm the same way with retail though, with the price of games these days I've really cut back on taking chances.

Being unsure of how this will transfer over to the next systems has kind of helped in cutting back as well.

I certainly think this gen has been improved greatly by these services, but I've stopped using WiiWare after I realised it was tied to the console.

dyls said:
It's upsetting that Wiiware/VC (or DSi for that matter) always gets ignored in these conversations.

Not when they still rely on DRM from the stone ages it isn't.

As for the op, well I'm primarily a PC gamer, so yes, ofcourse the majority of my purchases are from DD sources. My 360 has also been pretty much a XBLA + Halo machine for the last 2-3 years or so.

Boney

Banned
GitarooMan said:
VC is on life support. On the other hand, Wiiware has some nice titles, although they are buried in a pile of shit you have to work your way through to find them.
VC still has a huge library.

Oh and I've also got a PSP Go with about ~30 titles (across PSP/PS1/minis but mostly PSP) in my account, so yeah its fair to say I'm fully on board with DD.

Makes me wonder why companies aren't wanting to puch out their classic titles as DD more? Especially Sony and their weird as decisions on what PSone classic gets released, the past 4 months or more have been garbage. I understand the licensing rights they have to go through but how much effort really has to be put into that wouldn't create instant profit?

Or more so why Sony has like 3 games as a full download- Warhawk, Socom and Burnout Paradise? Capitalize on this shit Sony.

Square Triangle said:
Makes me wonder why companies aren't wanting to puch out their classic titles as DD more? Especially Sony and their weird as decisions on what PSone classic gets released, the past 4 months or more have been garbage. I understand the licensing rights they have to go through but how much effort really has to be put into that wouldn't create instant profit?

Or more so why Sony has like 3 games as a full download- Warhawk, Socom and Burnout Paradise? Capitalize on this shit Sony.

It was confirmed just a month or so ago that this is changing. Came along with the PSN+ info.

dyls said:
It's upsetting that Wiiware/VC (or DSi for that matter) always gets ignored in these conversations. I assume the OP doesn't own a Wii, but it still could be mentioned.

It's not rocket science. With Steam, PS3, and 360 it's tied to your account, with the Wii it's tied to your system. Upgrade to a newer model Wii or buy a second one and all your games are worthless. I never, ever even think to buy Wiiware games because it's only tied to the system. They fix their shitty DRM and people will actually start to care about Wiiware games.

Nose Master

I make more impulse buys, sure. :lol I'd probably do the same if I had a decent sized hard drive and they had more shit on Instant Xbox or whatever the full retail service is called.

XBLA yes, because very few of the 360 retail games interest me. Outrun Online Arcade was worth the price of the hardware alone <3

PSN no, because there's not nearly as much to choose from as XBLA and while PS3 has fewer exclusives a lot of it is stuff that interests me heavily (MLB The Show and Hot Shots Golf being the biggies, probably over 1,000 hours played between them this gen).

Top Bottom