• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys ask out retail girls?

O-N-E

I know they have to be friendly to everyone, but the combination of some of them being not so friendly and others having a really convincing smile makes it hard not to believe that maybe they're sort of into you?

I never have, but there's definitely one that stuck in my mind and regret not talking more to.

O-N-E

I work in retail and that is a big no-no even though they allow it where I work.

So the girl will get in trouble if she's caught exchanging numbers with a customer?

No, most are being nice because that’s what the tell them to do , don’t confuse nice with available either.

I know that's a good rule of thumb, but I don't think it's an absolute that should not be broken.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

So the girl will get in trouble if she's caught exchanging numbers with a customer?

I know that's a good rule of thumb, but I don't think it's an absolute that should not be broken.
She could.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t ask, just not at work. The other thing is if they say no there’s no going back to that store because you’ll be the creepy stalker guy.

Last edited:

paparazzo

Never have, but there’s been times where I felt like I could have. In my book it’s fine if it feels like she treats you differently from other customers (smiles big, doesn’t break eye contact, etc). But instead of trying to flirt, I’d give her my number on a piece of paper and suggest going out for drinks/coffee sometime, which you’d set up after she texts you. If she doesn’t, she’s obviously not interested and you can move on. Put the ball in her court.

Mitch

Banned
Several years ago I had multiple interactions with a girl over the course of a few days while purchasing a washer. Decided to ask her out. It didn't work out in my favor, but the interaction was actually a decent experience and confidence boost.

nush

Gold Member
No, there's better ways to meet women other than propositioning ones who are paid to assist and talk to you.
Yes, it's having them trapped in a position they can't get away from and have to be nice to the customers. They get hit on all the damn time and it's never from the hot guys they might actually like.

Ten_Fold

I met my fiancé working retail, she actually asked me out but we was going back and forth flirting. A lot of workers can be rude or fake being nice, you’ll know when someone is into it’s like a feeling you get.

G-Bus

Banned
Had a buddy that would go to Starbucks every morning before work and he always saw the same cashier. Got to the point where they would flirt a bit and she knew his order. He was convinced she was into him. So I talked him into asking her out and it failed wonderfully. She had a boyfriend and apparently the whole exchange was awkward as fuck.

He stopped going to that starbucks afterwards.

Go for it OP. You only live once.

I don't know. All I know is that they won't if they (or anyone else like me)want to with another employee.Just no higher ups.

If she's looking at you at you feel some chemistry just do it. Girls know if they want to sleep with you in 60 seconds. Doesn't mean it'll work but sometimes you just have a good day and feel people are checking you out. I asked out a girl at a coffee shop once, and she said yes.

cr0w

Old Member
Nah, never really found one I thought about asking out. Have definitely had some times with waitresses though, especially the ones at strip clubs. Those are the real diamonds in the rough at those places. Usually hotter and more stable than the strippers.

Smiling just comes more naturally to some, don't think that they're saving a particularly inviting smile for you. See how they react to everyone.
Can't go on a smile alone to gauge their interest. Try and make small talk while you're waiting for them to scan the items.

Ichabod

Banned
75InO9i.jpg

I feel that if you're a regular of that place and she's actually more friendly to you than other customers, then maybe, just maybe give it a shot. other wise, I would just consider she's doing her job.

Elcid

Banned
I know they have to be friendly to everyone, but the combination of some of them being not so friendly and others having a really convincing smile makes it hard not to believe that maybe they're sort of into you?

I never have, but there's definitely one that stuck in my mind and regret not talking more to.
Do it bro. You got nothing to lose.

I feel like 7-10 years ago this was socialably acceptable but now who knows. Back in college I had a canvasser come to my house for donations to whatever dumb cause was popular, anyway I declined but got her number because I could tell there was some chemistry. Now I really don't know how people go about this, with everything perpetuating rape culture and what not. I don't know if the risk is worth the reward

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why would you want to date someonne with retail problems? You know that relationship will be at least 70% them bitching about retail.

DiscoJer

My college was like 70% male, so that's pretty much how I got all my dates back then. Ask them if they are single first. That helps.

And as someone who works retail, we really aren't paid to be friendly. I usually just grunt at customers unless they are hot. Depressingly few women customers have come on to me though. Highlight was a lesbian couple.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Don’t waste your life day dreaming about, women you can actually talk to.

They are not pictures, and they will surprise you with who they are. Don't be a guy who sees a pretty girl and thinks about her for days and regrets speaking to her. The first words out of her mouth could be "i have a boyfriend", or "Thanks".

And usually than you get closer or over lust/crushes.

But usually girls like to be left alone at work. And the best to do is ask when her shift ends and if you can invite her somewhere or do something. You will want to have something good planned that excites and interests her. But you don't know her yet so choosing what you offer is hard. But if your confident in your life and what you do and what you consider fun. You can list lots of examples of things to do and see which catches her attention.

PS: The advice of slipping a piece of paper with your number is terrible. Be direct and ask her out or if she is single.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Where i live, it's usually a no-no. My friend used to work in retail and she wasn't allowed to engage in casual conversation, when we shopped there she barely looked us in the eyes. However if you really feel some sort of connection just slip her a piece of paper with your number.

Sakura

Ehhh I wouldn't recommend it. It's hard to read the other person when you aren't on equal footing. Also if she shoots you down, you can never shop there again, and she is definitely telling the other workers about you.
I work in retail, and the cute cashiers get hit on by dudes ALL the time. You might think you got something between you, but odds are she talks to all the guys like that. Some people are just like that. "But she remember's my order!" She probably remembers 50 dudes orders.
There was this one girl who had a number of customers she hated, customers who would try to chat her up when she was ringing them through. She would be all smiles and engage in the conversation, but if she saw them coming into the store and had the chance she'd make me take the till and go hide in the back.
Opposite situation, but a guy I work with always used to chat with this cute customer, he thought the chemistry was there, he handed her his number on a piece of paper one day, and she never came to the store again. It's a lot harder to read people than you might think.

All that being said, if you're really attractive, then there is a good chance it could work out.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Depends entirely on her personality. If her personalities are bigger than her head go for it.

dorkimoe

No. I wouldnt.

I worked at gamestop and anytime we had a cute girl working, oh lord lol. The girl would have to be nice cuz it was her job and guys would just loiter and linger for hours to talk to them, they got asked out constantly.

Ownage

No, because retail can't afford me.

shyamalan.jpg

Done so two times, but without luck; one of them was already married and had children, and the other wasn't ready for a relationship.

Just be sure you're confident about yourself, and by that I mean being at ease with yourself. From that point onwards no (available) woman is out of reach...

Top Bottom