• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you hate the sound of crickets chirping at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Personally I find it relaxing and soothing to hear crickets chirping at night. The rhythm to their chirping puts me to sleep faster, however crickets are always portrayed as annoying. There are a bunch of them outside my window right now and will continue chirping until sunrise.

I don't hear them in Washington. I do hear something similar to this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFojjllBFOk

At night. And it is LOUD. For the longest time I thought they were birds. Parents told me they were spring peepers, but I don't think we have those in WA, so I'm assuming it's these frogs.

I remember when I was younger, sprinklers used to bother me a lot while I was trying to sleep. I would get sort of focused on the rhythm and listen to them, but there would be several at once so it would get annoying. And they're the same thing over and over again. Now I go to bed so late and have a room with a window facing the back of the house that I don't hear them anymore.

Alkimia

Neo Member
In Florida we have crickets and cicadas, but they aren't nearly so loud as the FROGS

As soon as hurricane season starts and we get rain and thunder every day, they'll be really loud all night.

Mordeccai

At night time, fuck frogs, and fuck cicadas. They piss me off to no end, especially if theres pools of water outside. Froggy mate time is one of the most irritating sounds ever.

During the morning, I absolutely hate roosters and chickens. My hometown had issues with chickens running around rampant and the town did nothing about it, so every morning starting at 4 AM the roosters would crow until I left for school. It was a bad time in my life, one where I was constantly pissed because I woke up in a shit mood every day.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
PigSpeakers said:
I don't hear them in Washington. I do hear something similar to this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFojjllBFOk

At night. And it is LOUD. For the longest time I thought they were birds. Parents told me they were spring peepers, but I don't think we have those in WA, so I'm assuming it's these frogs.

I remember when I was younger, sprinklers used to bother me a lot while I was trying to sleep. I would get sort of focused on the rhythm and listen to them, but there would be several at once so it would get annoying. And they're the same thing over and over again. Now I go to bed so late and have a room with a window facing the back of the house that I don't hear them anymore.
I was gonna post this. I live in washinton too. on occasion I hear frogs at night going on like that.

I usually like it, but there are times when it creeps me out. For example, I was walking in this field late at night and the crickets sounded like they were 2 inches away from me and the sound was so powerful it just freaked me out a little.

3N16MA

Banned
mysticwhip said:
I usually like it, but there are times when it creeps me out. For example, I was walking in this field late at night and the crickets sounded like they were 2 inches away from me and the sound was so powerful it just freaked me out a little.

They probably were.

I_D

Outside isn't too bad. It's kinda hypnotic.

When one of those fuckers gets inside your house, though, that's the absolute worst.

3N16MA said:
They probably were.
tumblr_lqq20efLj91qcfba3o1_500.gif

teiresias

The whole "cricket static" outside, ie. the background noise of all the crickets in the wild, is fine and relaxing to me, but having one lone cricket that's made its way into my place and in my bedroom and is hiding somewhere I can't find it that won't shut up is annoying.

Poyunch

It's the sound I associate with night so I'm used to it. It just gets weird when you hear it in weird places or in the middle of the day. Like on the third floor bathroom of one of my university building. So weird.

FunkyPajamas said:
Love them, love the sounds of nature. Birds go crazy around my place at about 4-5 in the morning, right before dawn. It's awesome.
Do you like the soundd oof dogs and cats having sex(not with each other)? because I don't because that shit is annoying. Fuck the sounds of nature.

Peagles

Teh Hamburglar said:
cicadas are worse, especially when every damned one in the neighborhood is wailing at the same time.

The worst ones are the high pitched ones that my parents can't hear and made me think I was going crazy.

toohectic

Immortal_Daemon said:
When one of those fuckers gets inside your house, though, that's the absolute worst.
This! When they are in your house, they are so damn annoying! Lovely outside, annoying inside. One time I had one inside my wall, directly behind my bed pillow. It chirped extra loud all night, every night for two weeks; drove me insane.

vilmer_

I love the sound of crickets on a late summer night. They seemed to have disappeared the last few days though :/

Recarpo

Hate them and can't sleep if they're chirping. Even worse when there's a cricket in my house and I can't find where the little bastard is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom