• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you hold the appearance of the main character in Returnal against the game?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NahaNago

Eh, I always thought they made her look like that because of politics. She just looks boring to me for the most part, but the main reason I lost interest was because of the roguelite stuff.

NikuNashi

Its funny the people in this thread who are very sensitive seem to be the ones white knighting for Selene.

Comments about people being incels, living in basements, not living in the real world, being perverted and only looking for sexual gratification in games if they want a heroic, visually appealing character to play as. Strange.

T0minator

Returnal's controls with that "good feeling gunplay" and gameplay exceed any way the main character looks or would have looked.
It's pure joy gunning down the enemies in that game.

Holding her look against the game and deciding not to play it because of it....that's really strange

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Don't care what the character looks like, but what constitutes a 'real' human? Are you implying that anyone sexually attractive doesn't look 'real'?
Although beauty can be defined in different ways it is often about symmetric alignment and indistinct facial features to create a character of mass appeal. Most humans however don't look like that in terms of physiognomics. With "real" i mean that she looks more like a distinct human being instead of a video game character.

Which i find much more appealing.

NahaNago

Returnal's controls with that "good feeling gunplay" and gameplay exceed any way the main character looks or would have looked.
It's pure joy gunning down the enemies in that game.

Holding her look against the game and deciding not to play it because of it....that's really strange
not really. The visuals of a game are the first thing to entice someone to play a game. Whether it be from the game looking amazing or interesting or the main character looking interesting whether it be from a sexy or impressive style. You really can't know what the game's control or gunplay feels like until you play it.

This is why you usually have attractive or famous people on magazine covers in stores, or having a good looking guy or girl or a famous person being the main character in of a movie in order to get folks to buy the product.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Eh, I always thought they made her look like that because of politics. She just looks boring to me for the most part, but the main reason I lost interest was because of the roguelite stuff.
I don't know why they made her look like that, but I watched multiple interviews with the actual actress and she's way better looking than the in-game model. If you're going to go through the trouble of replicating an actual human, why ugly them up?

Either way it doesn't impact my view of the game, I just think it's interesting.

Reactions: Isa

JeloSWE

While I was initially put of a little bit in the trailers, I found here looks quite fitting once I started playing, as she is a bit older, here astronaut aspirations feels quite believable. I do preferer prettier than real life characters in games, it gives me some extra dopamine kicks. Honestly, here face looks like a competent but normal ordinary Finnish person (studio is Finnish so it makes sense), here body however is quite attractive and that is what you see most of the time any way so it's more than fine. Regardless of this, the controls, movement and game play is so good she could be a fat blob for all I care.

NahaNago

I don't know why they made her look like that, but I watched multiple interviews with the actual actress and she's way better looking than the in-game model. If you're going to go through the trouble of replicating an actual human, why ugly them up?

Either way it doesn't impact my view of the game, I just think it's interesting.
The idea of an older woman as the main character of a game was pretty interesting. They just needed to create a character that folks would see and want to play as in the game.
While I was initially put of a little bit in the trailers, I found here looks quite fitting once I started playing, as she is a bit older, here astronaut aspirations feels quite believable. I do preferer prettier than real life characters in games, it gives me some extra dopamine kicks. Honestly, here face looks like a competent but normal ordinary Finnish person (studio is Finnish so it makes sense), here body however is quite attractive and that is what you see most of the time any way so it's more than fine. Regardless of this, the controls, movement and game play is so good she could be a fat blob for all I care.
Once I read the word astronaut in your post I was googling other female astronauts and she looks around 10 years older than most I saw.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Its funny the people in this thread who are very sensitive seem to be the ones white knighting for Selene.

Comments about people being incels, living in basements, not living in the real world, being perverted and only looking for sexual gratification in games if they want a heroic, visually appealing character to play as. Strange.
Er i think you'll find that a fair few people are saying opposing views with equal conviction champ

tommib

Sure, half these comments are saying they made her that way because of politics and because of The Woke Cult ™️ but if we question that we’re white knighting.

Last edited:

tassletine

I kind of thought they made her look like the original Doom guy, which was appropriate. The game was boring though, too little to shoot.

Lol this is kind of dumb I'm sorry. A thread like this makes this whole forum look bad. Not just the OP but all these comments as well. I can't believe some of you actually care about this stuff. This right here is one of the reasons some games are creatively held back.
Why does it make the forum look bad? People have preferences and differences of opinions. Not only people, but whole studios care about who the MC is in a movie or game, and have been actively making MCs female or one of the alphabet people.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Most people like attractive characters, just like how they like attractive people. If you could hand pick your significant other from a catalog, you wouldn’t want the less attractive ones. I don’t want to play as someone that looks like the Returnal MC. I believe everyone here would choose a different MC if they had the choice.

Game devs are risking a harder marketing campaign, a weaker IP, and poorer sales when they make a character not as attractive. Look at games that take advantage of attractiveness/sex appeal, they blow up. People couldn’t stop talking about Lady D from Resident Evil 8 or the new hot character added to league or genshin impact.

If the Returnal MC looked like Lara Croft, selling the game would have been a lot easier and more people would have enjoyed it. Not many people get joy from playing a 40 year old woman. 40 year old women don’t play these types of games generally. If they did play, they would also want to play someone more attractive and younger.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Er i think you'll find that a fair few people are saying opposing views with equal conviction champ
Unfortunately I am not a 'champ' of anything, just an average person. So in the same way as selene, nobody in their right mind would want me in the lead role of any entertainment.

Welcome to Gaf by the way, I see you are new around here, enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Unfortunately I am not a 'champ' of anything, just an average person. So in the same way as selene, nobody in their right mind would want me in the lead role of any entertainment.

Welcome to Gaf by the way, I see you are new around here, enjoy your stay.
Apparently you're the champ of 8 odd years of NeoGAF at least, champ.

Good to see you avoided being culled for your champion views like the rest of your fellow champions who built the rep of the forum until evil decided to nuke them, champion. Champ champ champion.

I'm in my right mind champ kiddo busta boss and i like her in the lead role so maybe i should welcome you to this great shining door to correctness that you can step through if you so desire, champ.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I usually don't care but this design smells like Woke cult influence plus she looks pissed and not in a good way.
"Daddy, what does 'woke' mean?"

"Well, son, it's a subversion of the natural order is what it is. The natural order being that the only sensible lead protagonist in anything - be it films, books or video games - is a straight, white cis-gendered and preferably western man of around 30-50 summers. If you see a woman - especially an ugly one - a man of colour, or god forbid one of those gays in a leading role, well... that right there - that's 'woke'. There ain't no sensible reason anybody anywhere in the whole wide world would want to put people like that into anything other than a supporting role. Every sensible creative, working under his own steam, would rather tell the time-honoured story of the glorious white man than that of any other. The only reason they'd even consider doing otherwise - of putting some woman in those shoes - is all the pressure they get from liberals and students and those damned do-gooders in the media."

I'm only caping for common sense. The idea that the only stories creatives are interested in telling are those of straight, white tough-men and that the only reason they try to do something different is the 'woke' agenda doesn't hold any water. We've had decades of square-jawed marines, unhinged vigilantes and brooding hairy dads... if developers aren't bored of retelling the same story over and over again, I'm sure as hell bored of listening.

To the people saying 'it's not that she's a woman, it's just that nobody wants to play as unattractive older characters', I would point out that nobody minds when it's men:

artworks-000419430789-jrkcnw-t500x500.jpg

Last edited:

Tschumi

"Daddy, what does 'woke' mean?"

"Well, son, it's a subversion of the natural order is what it is. The natural order being that the only sensible lead protagonist in anything - be it films, books or video games - is a straight, white cis-gendered and preferably western man of around 30-50 summers. If you see a woman - especially an ugly one - a man of colour, or god forbid one of those gays in a leading role, well... that right there - that's 'woke'. There ain't no sensible reason anybody anywhere in the whole wide world would want to put people like that into anything other than a supporting role. Every sensible creative, working under his own steam, would rather tell the time-honoured story of the glorious white man than that of any other. The only reason they'd even consider doing otherwise - of putting some woman in those shoes - is all the pressure they get from liberals and students and those damned do-gooders in the media."
u write this post 10 months ago an entire forum board would dogpile you rofl

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

somewhere on the internet some limpdicked spinoff forum full of gaf rejects is shitting on you, too :D

You have my appreciation.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

somewhere on the internet some limpdicked spinoff forum full of gaf rejects is shitting on you, too :D

You have my appreciation.
I doubt that many people really care what I think :D Honestly, I'm just stating common sense: on both sides of this culture war you have people swinging big-ass hammers for their chosen cause and - as the old saying goes - to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Not every non-white, non-male, non-straight character is a defiant political middle finger and not every game that fails to pass the rainbow representation test is a piece of bigoted alt-right propaganda. Sometimes, maybe even most of the time, it's just people doing something they were interested in doing.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Not an established character they desexualized in a sequel. Going for realism and so she looks like a regular ass astronaut. Have no problems with her design.

Not every regular looking character in a game or show is some woke statement.

If you really wanted her to be all sexed up in a game where it really doesn't fit then...

You Look Thirsty Miss A GIF

And that is me saying that, gafs biggest coomer degenerate.

Umbasaborne

Banned
No, imagine being such a snow flake that a middle aged woman as the protagonist triggers you…

also this website can be a bigger bunch of babies than even REEEEEE at times. Like whenever a main character isn’t a white guy. The comments are all idiotic sentiment like “GeT wOkE gO bRoKe”. Turns out, the world is filled with a lot of different looking people. Playing as a black or middle aged woman is not the left trying to push its agenda on you or whatever you think it is. Thats an incredibly narrow mind set. Seriously it some time feels as if every protagonist would be some variation of matt hazard, nathan drake, or marcus fenix if it were up to the users of this site.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I buy toilet plungers out of necessity. I don't sit down and put 100 hours into playing with my toilet plunger for fun. I don't buy a toilet plunger because I find it attractive.

Returnal is like the toilet plunger, minus the necessity. If you're going to spend man-hours creating an unattractive lead character, prepare for some people to ask themselves if they really need it, regardless of if you have the best gameplay of all time, which Returnal doesn't.

Not really. The game is its own thing and that's fine. Does it appeal to me though? nah, but it probably does to some. Hopefully, those folks enjoy it.

I might've been annoyed if it was an already pre-established character that got redesigned, redefined, or sidelined for the sake of scoring points in todays weird climate.

Ultimately, devs have the right to express themselves however they want even if it doesn't jive with my taste.

Last edited:
I buy toilet plungers out of necessity. I don't sit down and put 100 hours into playing with my toilet plunger for fun. I don't buy a toilet plunger because I find it attractive.

Returnal is like the toilet plunger, minus the necessity. If you're going to spend man-hours creating an unattractive lead character, prepare for some people to ask themselves if they really need it, regardless of if you have the best gameplay of all time, which Returnal doesn't.

Well a toilet plunger can function as an ugly dildo if your ever desperate for one.

Last edited:

Pantz

Aside from her looks, her head does looks a bit off, like it's too big for her body or something.
She freaks me out a little. I don't like her haircut and I generally try to avoid old grannies like her. Imagine the smell of her facial cream.

It's their choice though and I actually prefer a designed character like her over a create a character option.

So yes, I hold it against the game, but not enough to stop me from playing it.
Any other character might have been more interesting than some gross old granny with her gross butt sticking out.

Skifi28

I hold the price of the game against the game. I thought the character looks fine in the game's setting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To the people saying 'it's not that she's a woman, it's just that nobody wants to play as unattractive older characters', I would point out that nobody minds when it's men:

artworks-000419430789-jrkcnw-t500x500.jpg
While I do believe this gendered culture war is far too asinine and extreme and serves only to divide & conquer, this is a very good point when it comes to gamers and their criticisms on average. Gained some perspective here.

Chukhopops

I thought the main character lacked charisma and energy, but overall it didn’t matter. The issues I had with Returnal have nothing to do with the main character (or even the story).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nobody expected a pinup, however the new western styled game-dev sport seems to be who can create the most ugly characters.
FTFY

Look at Square and how beautiful they make their FF characters and the like. Then comes their western focused Forspoken, while not an ugly character per se, she is not in the realm of their eastern designs and very average/plain from what they normally do. Game still looks interesting, however.

But that could also be what they're going for thematically. The whole, normal everyday person finding their greatness and becoming extraordinary.

Though I was shocked Bluepoint gave the Maiden in Black such perky full C maybe small D tits and cute facial features.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FTFY

Look at Square and how beautiful they make their FF characters and the like. Then comes their western focused Forspoken, while not an ugly character per se, she is not in the realm of their eastern designs and very average/plain from what they normally do. Game still looks interesting, however.

But that could also be what they're going for thematically. The whole, normal everyday person finding their greatness and becoming extraordinary.

Though I was shocked Bluepoint gave the Maiden in Black such perky full C maybe small D tits and cute facial features.

I wonder how much the bolded has to do with the race of the character and the race of the gamer. Because personally I think this character looks as good as any FF female character.

Forspoken-voice-actors.jpg

Forspoken-3.jpg

*I'm not calling you out or anything. But I'm surprised this character of Amy Henning's isn't being considered one of the best looking new characters for this generation. I would have thought she'd be the PERFECT new woman character for the "pro-hot" crowd to parade around and point to. Yet, you (and I assume many others) don't view her in that light. Very interesting...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder how much the bolded has to do with the race of the character and the race of the gamer. Because personally I think this character looks as good as any FF female character.

Forspoken-voice-actors.jpg

Forspoken-3.jpg

*I'm not calling you out or anything. But I'm surprised this character of Amy Henning's isn't being considered one of the best looking new characters for this generation. I would have thought she'd be the PERFECT new woman character for the "pro-hot" crowd to parade around and point to. Yet, you (and I assume many others) don't view her in that light. Very interesting...
She isn't unattractive, I made that clear. I'd spit game to her in a bar or club.

But compared to Square's usual designs, she is an everyday person. But again, that may be what they're going for. The whole, everyday late teen to early 20's coming of age girl, becoming fantastical and extraordinary. Someone your average person can relate to more. But notice how it's focus on a western styled release, they don't do that for their eastern styled releases. Cultural points taken into account.

The context was how they tailor compared to their own shores, is all. It's how they see the difference in cultural shaping.

I voted in the poll, the attractiveness of a character is the least of my concerns. I was just commenting on how you can notice the impacts in the industry based on said regions. I personally like the design and it made me more interested in the game versus their standard flair. She does have an Uncharted character style to her.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I don't even look at the player avatar much when I play, but if they've got a bad voice, that can definitely negatively affect my opinion.

Top Bottom