• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know anyone afflicted with 'Yellow Fever'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionian

Dumb chick associates the term "Yellow fever" with dating someone for the colour of their skin.

I want those minutes back, OP.

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT: I shouldn't have been dismissive.

It seems like there is a serious discussion forming in this thread about dating preferences. I don't want to dismiss that. I guess I should watch the video.

All that said, I see nothing wrong with someone having dating/sexual preferences to specific race's. Not everyone has the same turn on's or what they find attractive. I think on some level, it can be limiting. In that, I think ANYONE of any race can be beautiful and attractive. But I do get why preferences exist, and I see nothing with it.

But at least for me, I think something like that can change (and be greatly impacted by your surroundings). When I was younger, I mostly dated only white women (because where I lived, Caucasian were generally the majority). I found myself thinking they were my preference. But then when I moved to other states that were more diverse, I started finding that my preferences weren't so set in stone. Then when I moved to Japan, that was an even more interesting experience. Basically, I think this sort of thing can be limited by your surroundings. And the more you immerse yourself in different situations, the more your preferences can be a bit more open.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I find half-asian women exceedingly attractive, but don't prefer 100% asian women to any other specific ethnicity.

Stitch

Gold Member
"Men with yellow fever look at you and they only see school girls or sexual geishas,"

lol what!?

obvious clickbait is obvious

Fuchsdh

Dumb chick associates the term "Yellow fever" with dating someone for the colour of their skin.

I want those minutes back, OP.

To build off this: I watched the video. The Youtuber is conflating a bunch of (related but separate) ideas.

One: cultural fetishism. People romanticize the Japanese (hi GAFfers), people romanticize Old Europe, et al. That doesn't really have anything to do with sexual attraction and more with what you value and see in other cultures. There are a lot of white guys who identify strongly with "Native American culture", for instance--living off the land, trying to be harmonious with nature, etc. While I can see why this is offensive to some (because these are usually broad reductions of entire cultures), it's a whole 'nother video topic.

Two: Building off the other thread about attraction, you might just be attracted to phenotypes that are more common in those of Asian descent. That doesn't mean that they see Asians as just their potential waifus.

So in short, I feel like she's lumping a lot of stuff into her concept of "yellow fever", herefor defined as someone who is interested in Asians only for their stereotyped attributes. And yeah, thinking an Asian girl is going to be submissive is about as broad and generalized as black men's members. It's certainly not approaching someone as two- or three-dimensional.

But there's a lot more going on here.

That, and the Youtuber's whole demeanor rubs me the wrong way. Okay, you've got some muscles. What does that have to do with being submissive?

Spl1nter

I got the vaccine to prevent yellow fever. It was the only one that had any real risks involved I remember.

Severe allergic reaction to a vaccine component (about 1 person in 55,000).
Severe nervous system reaction (about 1 person in 125,000).
Life-threatening severe illness with organ failure (about 1 person in 250,000). More than half the people who suffer this side effect die.

I married a Filipina woman, so I guess you'd say I don't have yellow fever so much as I have a severe, ongoing case of LBFMitis.

cwmartin

So this is just another feminist rant about how guys are wrong for liking a certain thing?

Legitimate curiosity, not attempting to start an argument passive-aggressive style, but, do you think men who ONLY find Asian women attractive and desirable is a healthy way to perceive women and relationships?

edit: It works any way, replace "Asian women" with "Caucasian women" or "Black women".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"We can encourage more foreigners to marry Shanghai ladies so their children will be able to speak Chinese,"

"It will help spread Chinese culture far and wide."

- Jackie Chan

Unless your name is Chris Tucker, you can't argue with Jackie Chan.

I remember that one really popular video on YouTube about yellow fever by a bunch of asian student film makers or something like 7-8 years ago.

In high school, almost every guy I knew that was into anime or video games desperately wanted an asian girlfriend. It was kind of crazy.

She makes a distinction between people who are attracted to Asian features and people who are attracted because of some preconceived notion of what Asian is. So I don't particularly disagree with her. This is a good distinction.

I'll freely admit that I am more attracted to Asians generally, and my wife is ethnically Chinese (and thoroughly New Jersey). I get creeped out by people who have these strange ideas about Asians as well though. I dated only white girls before I met my wife though, so I guess I don't necessarily fall into this bucket.

Also, she's hot.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yellow Fever is so dumb. Know why? Because 99.9% of asian girls I know or see in the city only date white guys. Do these women have "white fever"?!

GorillaJu

Legitimate curiosity, not attempting to start an argument passive-aggressive style, but, do you think men who ONLY find Asian women attractive and desirable is a healthy way to perceive women and relationships?

Legitimate curiosity, do you know anyone, or have you ever met anyone who has said that only Asian women are attractive? Or is it that they find Asian women most attractive? And you are implying that there is something "unhealthy" about their perception of women in general and relationships. Can you elaborate on this? Because it sounds like more assumption to me.

Irony here being that the people she's criticizing are going to watch her video and just focus on her looks.

Welcome to real life, where people judge you based on your appearance, everywhere you go, everything you do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GAF, can I contract yellow fever if I'm already yellow?

Or am I immunized against this condition?

edit: It works any way, replace "Asian women" with "Caucasian women" or "Black women".

I think men should be able to have whatever preference they want without having to explain themselves or feel like they have to be open minded to everyone else. I have no problem if someone only likes Hispanics or Caucasians or any race exclusively, even if it's with body types, who is to say that what a man prefers is right or wrong? The only people I have seen that have a problem with this idea are hypocrites that don't want to be judged for what they like or do.

"We can encourage more foreigners to marry Shanghai ladies so their children will be able to speak Chinese,"

"It will help spread Chinese culture far and wide."

- Jackie Chan

Unless your name is Chris Tucker, you can't argue with Jackie Chan.

I did my part.

cwmartin

Legitimate curiosity, do you know anyone, or have you ever met anyone who has said that only Asian women are attractive? Or is it that they find Asian women most attractive? And you are implying that there is something "unhealthy" about their perception of women in general and relationships. Can you elaborate on this? Because it sounds like more assumption to me.

Welcome to real life, where people judge you based on your appearance, everywhere you go, everything you do.

Perhaps it is my assumption, and I can certainly concede to that. My assumed interpretation of "yellow-fever" is someone whom is only finding Asian women attractive and desirable for a relationship. Be it for perceived preferences in either appearance or cultural aspects (like the video attempts to make a distinction of).

I've never heard of someone being given the label of having "yellow-fever" while also dating women of all ethnicities, so I thought my assumption held true.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
That was awful. She basically just lumped every guy that dates Asian women into a single distorted caricature.

I remember that one really popular video on YouTube about yellow fever by a bunch of asian student film makers or something like 7-8 years ago.

In high school, almost every guy I knew that was into anime or video games desperately wanted an asian girlfriend. It was kind of crazy.
"A baka gaijin like you doesn't understand."

Someone deadass said this to me in high school.

studyguy

Asians are cute. I live in SoCal though so it's a god damn mix of different types of Asians. I think the Filipino culture meshes super well with the Mexican culture, I can relate so easily to the girls I dated and the way they interact with their families. Also shit, when I was in college, 7 out of 10 girls on campus I'd see were Asian out here, so what was I supposed to do?

Anyway, not dating an Asian now, but I just find it sorta odd that when you discuss it online... most of the conversation steers towards Japanese stereotypes specifically.

That was awful. She basically just lumped every guy that dates Asian women into a single distorted caricature.

This is a cultural thing more than a race thing I believe. For one, it doesn't make much sense that this argument is coming from an American girl. I think a lot of guys are attracted to the girl and the cultural. It's a preference. Just like anything. There's a big difference between a girl growing up in the US and a girl growing up in China. That's something I think she distorts.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Welcome to "Social Justice".

Honestly, why would any web aggregator link to this in good judgment? It's insulting. Not to mention the "talking to my composited self" youtube vBlog crap is annoying as fuck.

As awful as it is, it's also fascinating. Why are so many people so eager to create these imaginary categories of people and then demonize and shame them? And why on earth are people giving them attention?

Gustav

Banned
Living in Germany, I have only once in my life seen a white, German dude dating an Asian woman. It's very uncommon here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom