• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like talking to people on the phone?

Mistake

I prefer calls or face to face. Texts are for small things. Anyone who is willing to call me instantly gets more of my respect and attention

Riven326

Banned
Nothing is worse than small talk especially if they are above you so you can't just tell them to fuck off and leave you alone. :(
Yes. I much prefer when people are direct and to the point. Just rapid fire, no time to think about it. If it's my boss, just tell me what you need and when you need it. I don't want to know why.

Dark Star

I can talk on the phone with my friends for ages. It's fun. It's WAY more efficient than texting IMO. I tend to overthink my text messages and sometimes delete whole paragraphs before sending. When talking on the phone there's no filter or BS, just say what you mean and let your friend inform you in an instant lol. They can both be a waste of time for different reasons.

I think people like texting because there's very little commitment to keep the conversation going, and there's no expectation for an instant response. I think texting is usually a more organized and clear flow of ideas, but nobody wants to read a wall of text filled with poor grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. Whereas talking on phone is usually a much more tangential and random flow of topics, and sometimes the conversation is overly long and gets stale quick.

Talking on the phone with strangers? Not so much. I hate phone interviews for jobs. Anxiety inducing and insanely formal. I'd also rather order food from an app or website than call a restaurant and talk to someone who's probably not in a very good mood anyways. Same thing with scheduling dentist appointments or whatever, I just don't feel as confident on the phone when talking to people who are trying to do a job, even it's chill and casual.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
My whole life anytime I talk on the phone it was for a direct purpose and nothing else. I dont talk for pleasure or fun on the phone. My grandma is the only person I'll talk to socially on the phone, and even then its 80% me just letting her talk away. Anyone else if I am on the phone I am off it as fast as possible, if I talk to someone I want to look them in the eye.

Top Bottom