• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like your body?

MikeyB

I burn too easily and probably will get skin cancer. Also, 6'5" is an inconveniently tall height. Haven't been exercising enough lately because of work.

But otherwise, yeah, this vehicle is pretty decent.

Maedre

Banned
I´m ok with myself most of the time.
I feel like i have the perfect height (1.85 m or 6.1 I believe)
I hover around 95 kg or 220 Punds. Thats something i have to change but beside that I'm ok with myself.

Yes. Sometimes I look at myself and go "damn I'm looking good" lol. Gotta have some confidence in your body image. I'm liking the three or four grey hairs showing up (I'm 30). My dad though is super self-conscious about it, dyes his moustache, the whole shebang.

Just working on my arms and belly. I use weights nearly every day, started a month ago. No specific goal or unrealistic expectations.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yes. Sometimes I look at myself and go "damn I'm looking good" lol. Gotta have some confidence in your body image. I'm liking the three or four grey hairs showing up (I'm 30). My dad though is super self-conscious about it, dyes his moustache, the whole shebang.

Just working on my arms and belly. I use weights nearly every day, started a month ago. No specific goal or unrealistic expectations.
You are a handsome mofo.

Apathy

Nope. The spare tire I carry and have a hard time getting rid of always makes me look at my body and not like it. Trying to do something about it though.

So far I am, yeah. I work as a gym instructor for a living so that isn't changing anytime soon. As long as I stay this trim and toned and keep this big arse of mine I'll be happy for a good long while!

Bladenic

Hate it and working to improve but have things that will never go away (fucking stretch marks) so i dunno if I'll ever love like it.

HeatBoost

I'd give it a 6/10

Lot of room for improvement, but no out-and-out defects that are terribly cumbersome. Not a visual masterpiece, and more than a bit clunky, but in a stable way. Maybe best described as totally playable.

fans of the genre might like it

Turin

Banned
Overall, yes. Certain conditioning goals I haven't reached yet but appearance-wise I'm good where it's at.

I'm lighter than I've been in over a decade, which is good. Still more to go. But I've also sorta reached the hump (37) where I know it's all downhill from here. And my health is already pretty dire as it is.

(So I guess no. I don't like my body.)

You can still effectively salvage your health with enough commitment but that's far easier said than done. Rooting for you, JB.

Congratulations on the weight loss. ;)

Sinthetic

Went from 13 1/2 stone down to 11 stone for my wedding, so I'm looking the best I've looked in 10 years.

Being covered in tattoos and 10% body fat doesn't hurt either.

Tuck

Aside from my face, I hate it.

I'm far too skinny. I suffer from IBS which has a hugely negative impact on my life. I also have lots of muskular skeletal issues - most joints hurt in some way or another. My eye sight also isn't great though glasses arent too bad.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Aesthetically? Mostly.
All-in-all? i could do without the genetic chronic heart issues.

Samstrike

Not totally. I mean i like it at lot better than 2 years ago when I was 120 pounds heavier but I have excess skin in the abdomen area and a lot of stretch marks. Been going to the gym a lot but it doesn't help that much. I'm considering surgery to remove the excess skin.

cromofo

Thanks for the advice. I guess I need to take a more strict diet. My weight isn't my problem, I'm actually quite happy with that, just the bodyfat.

Any tips or links regarding a good diet or routine?

First step is calculating your calorie maintenance level: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm Read the info under the calculator as well.

Assuming you're a beginner, I'd stick with more aerobic exercises at first. Eventually when you've built up enough endurance and strenght I'd switch to 3x a week full body routine 3x a week can be used for weight loss and weight gain so it's perfect for beginners.

As for diet, as it's most important, start tracking calories, there's a lot of apps that help you with that. Learn about different foods and take the result of the calculator above in consideration and construct your diet accordingly.

Say your mainenance is 2500 cals:

-200 to -500 cals is for weight loss
+200 to +500 cals is for weight(muscle) gain

Aim for the 200 minumum at first, especially when you want to gain weight after losing fat.

Yeah, it's pretty cool now (post 24). Bounces back really quickly and is pretty hardy despite all it's gone/going through even at 35+. Nice work, body. We're friends now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The only thing i hate about my body is being too skinny. I can't seem to even reach 130lbs. And it's not like I stop myself from eating like if I was anoxeric on the contrary. I might not eat in huge portions, but I eat dammit.

Hell, I spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer, and my diet outside of main meals consist of mostly eating junk food(chips, candies, cookies, chocolat) with the rare apple. You'd think I'd get fat that way, but nope. Maybe I would need to eat more junk food or something but I don't want to ruin my health either by just eating more crap. Maybe I just need to get myself some muscles, but I really don't want to go to a gym, so yeah... vicious circle.

I guess some fat people would love to be in my situation, but still... I guess my situation could be worse.

Saya

I used to hate my body. I had a massive beer belly. Last December I started to work out seriously. Running, lifting, changing my diet, etc. Now I'm in the best shape of my life. It's sounds like a cliche, but it's never too late to make a change. Work hard and you'll see great results.

big_z

There are things I wish I could change but at the same time as I achieve fitness goals and see more muscle definition I kind of like it at times. So some days I don't like it and others i don't mind.

I'm not surprised by the responses in this thread. In general the average human body doesn't look that great naked.

Nightfall

First step is calculating your calorie maintenance level: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm Read the info under the calculator as well.

Assuming you're a beginner, I'd stick with more aerobic exercises at first. Eventually when you've built up enough endurance and strenght I'd switch to 3x a week full body routine 3x a week can be used for weight loss and weight gain so it's perfect for beginners.

As for diet, as it's most important, start tracking calories, there's a lot of apps that help you with that. Learn about different foods and take the result of the calculator above in consideration and construct your diet accordingly.

Say your mainenance is 2500 cals:

-200 to -500 cals is for weight loss
+200 to +500 cals is for weight(muscle) gain

Aim for the 200 minumum at first, especially when you want to gain weight after losing fat.

I'm doing Taekwondo 2-3 times a week and I'm also a runner, so not exactly beginner stage (used to weigh much much more about... I guess it's 8 years ago by now)

But yeah I'll try that. Thanks, I really appreciate it :)

cromofo

I'm doing Taekwondo 2-3 times a week and I'm also a runner, so not exactly beginner stage (used to weigh much much more about... I guess it's 8 years ago by now)

But yeah I'll try that. Thanks, I really appreciate it :)

I'd go with 3x full body straight away then. Good luck and I hope you stick with it!

You are a handsome mofo.
Thanks! :)
Nice work, body. We're friends now.
Tina-Fey-giving-herself-high-five.gif

Drinkel

I think I've reached a point in my life where it feels dumb to complain about it. It's perfectly functional without any major flaws. As long as I'm healthy any aesthetic flaws seem unnecessary to worry about. It's what I tell myself anyway.

I'm tall which is fucking great, and no disabilities (except a minor thing in the eyes)- so I guess I should be grateful.

I'm pretty fucking fat though (although I'm told I definitely don't show the 100kg I swing around), so I don't think I have much self-esteem in that regard. Eh, it's because of a choice to not stress over diet/exercise, so I guess I have myself to blame on that.

I'm definitely far from attractive, but I'm healthy. Good enough for me.

Gabbelgak

I'm happy enough with it that I don't really stress over it. There are of course things I dislike but they are a part of me and I just accept that. Some of it I could change (like weight), others are things I'm stuck with.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pre-2013: Hell no. Hated myself for being skinny all my life.
Post-2013: A bit more comfortable. I'm no longer emaciated skinny, and so I'm good enough to wear a t-shirt without feeling ashamed anymore, but I still have a long way to go before I reach my ideal Christian Bale in American Psycho physique.

That's just the body though. Regarding the face, however, lots of shit I don't like. Got a big, hook nose, huge nostrils, bottom teeth are slightly crooked, lips are too big, got chin fat, and chubby cheeks, dark circles around my eyes, gray hairs, and my hairline's starting to recede in that ugly M shape.

Oh, and my calves are tiny and awful and will forever be so. :(

I've had a minor complex about my body ever since I had a GF who was unpleasantly surprised that I wasn't all abs and pecs 20 years ago. Haven't been topless in public since.

6 ft, 175 lbs fwiw.

Jmille99

Nope, and never have been. Need to lose more weight, and I have eyelashes that girls wish they could have.

But I have pretty eyes from what Ive been told. So I guess theres that.

Nowise10

I've been working out for a year and a half and I'm pretty sure my insecurities with my body have only grown sense then.

Pre-2013: Hell no. Hated myself for being skinny all my life.
Post-2013: A bit more comfortable. I'm no longer emaciated skinny, and so I'm good enough to wear a t-shirt without feeling ashamed anymore, but I still have a long way to go before I reach my ideal Christian Bale in American Psycho physique.

That's just the body though. Regarding the face, however, lots of shit I don't like. Got a big, hook nose, huge nostrils, bottom teeth are slightly crooked, lips are too big, got chin fat, and chubby cheeks, dark circles around my eyes, gray hairs, and my hairline's starting to recede in that ugly M shape.

Oh, and my calves are tiny and awful and will forever be so. :(

It's nice to get to that Bale physique but maintaining it would be a job in of itself. Actors go through all that training just for it to stay for a few weeks of shooting. They don't maintain it unless if they're regular gym users. For me that wouldn't seem worth it, I'd rather get to a physique I'm comfortable with and can maintain for a while. Body image issues don't go away cause that's down to thought processes rather than only relying on external looks. Plenty of people who get super fit but still have a negative body image, so gotta work on mentality too.

The Lamp

I was liking it as my body was getting stronger, but then I learned weightlifting is a dangerous thing way too many people nonchalantly recommend to beginners. Injured my back carefully doing the lifting all the bros on the internet recommend, when I discovered I have degenerative disc disease and a tarlov cyst (which can be caused by weightlifting and is almost incurable). No more loading of the spine. Spent a year recovering, still recovering. Then I hurt my shoulder and learned I anatomically have a shoulder bone that scrapes against my rotator cuff, so I've been damaging that every time I do overhead or bench press or lift my arms laterally. So I haven't been able to gain muscle mass in a year.

Top Bottom