• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you miss video game Demo discs?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Yes, I remember the Ninja Gaiden demo for the og xbox, I played that shit for months.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I miss them a lot, because it was so nice to get demoes of weird games that you would've never paid attention to, but because they're on the same disk as Tekken 3, you're gonna try them all out.

sunnysideup

Banned
Most definitely. The ease of use was great.

Downloading and Installing games is a fucking pain in the ass.

With these disc you would just put in the disc, and try the demos, and when you where done trying out all of the 6 games 10 minutes later you would just remove the disc. And be done.

These days it would take two hours for those 10 minutes of gameplay.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I miss the weird compilation cds you could find, like the classic Games for Windows 95 disc. It had a hub-world space station you could explore and use to jump into something like 20 different demos.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I can't remember the exact year('97/'98?), but when I bought my PSX it came with a demo disc loaded with awesome games. Metal Gear Solid was on there and I played that shit over and over until I could afford to buy it. I couldn't even afford a game at first, I just wanted the system and planned on borrowing from my buddies.

^Great selection of games on this disc.

Last edited:
I miss game demos in general, don't mind it not being physical - just more of it these days would be nice.

But, to be honest, the real spiritual successor to this is Gamepass for the Xbox as you're allowed to try any game you want and continue to play, or shelve it completely, at your own whim.

Hell, shit cost as much as a yearly magazine subscription.

And no, lmao, I do not have GP, nor have I been a big supporter of it. But this is common sense, and definitely an advantage of GP (that I feel is relevant to the topic).

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I miss them. They were fun to discover and check out.

It was different times, and now the internet offers an overload of trailers, maybe demos, freeware and giveaways and the backlog is huge compared to back then. I don't think I have the same enthusiasm any more.

Kuranghi

Demos in general were amazing, I remember I had one for Rollcage on PC and they left the developer keys active (Like the Dead Island launch code where you could activate 3rd person and other console commands via hotkeys, how did that get through QA :messenger_tears_of_joy:) so you could press an F-key and it gave you two turbos instantly.

The tracks were suspended in the air, so you could technically fly straight to the finish line with the right momentum, so I tried to beat all the levels in the demo by turning to face the finish line at the start of the race and then spamming the boost key + that F-key to basically fly over to it, I submitted a time for a demo competition and my time was like less than 10 seconds for the whole course, I didnt win and no reply on that, filthy cheater haha. They didn't say you couldn't use accidently left on dev keys...

What really blew my little mind back then were "compilations" like, The Sweeney <insert number>. I can't even find reference to them online (for obvious reasons), anyone here relate to that? Finding tiny, unlisted games in the folders was so awesome, was like a treasure hunt.

Last edited:

Paasei

I should still have some of those discs for the first PS. Back in the day I even asked for help here to find one of those games in a specific thread. But sadly I forgot that, too.

Anyway, you were playing as a robot beetle/ladybug shooting terrorists in some harbour.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I don't miss them as they've been replaced by a much much better alternative....BUT, there was something magical about them too and the excitement when you'd get a good one.

Pizza Hut's demo disk with Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider demos on it was one of my favorite. Reggie Fils-Ame was on point when he came up with that. Also had a Tony Hawk demo that'd I'd use the GameShark on to stop the timer and just skate for hours while listening to my own music.

Kuranghi

I just remembered I, like many others I'm sure, bought Zone of the Enders for the MGS 2 demo disc. I planned to play it for a week or two and then return it but when I got it home I realised some bastard had already had the idea but going further and just return the game without the demo disc in the case :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Had to go back and the person behind the counter was so confused I was saying the disc was missing and he's like the disc is right there, "Its *squints at disc* Zone of the Enders", he couldn't understand why I would care about the demo so disc much haha.

I kinda do. It was nice skimming some demos and previews. The music like this below was especially, dope.

Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

That scent of nostalgia

We don't really get much of that type of experimental ambient demoscene music these days. It really set an otherworldly tone like a transition into some surreal dimension if that makes any sense. Cool shit in my book.

Last edited:

MathUser1

Neo Member
I loved those things. I got a pizza hut cd, It came with the console too. That was a really smart move for Sony. It showed off the system and it let you try it for free.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I miss game demo DVD's. I miss stuff like PlayStation Qore. It feels like all of the platform owners used to reach out to consumers a lot more back in the day. I guess now that everyone can merely download things in moments their strategies have changed.

MiguelItUp

Definitely! They were the absolute SHIT when you were younger and didn't have a job, haha.

Some of those demo discs were goddamn SUBSTANTIAL, haha. Especially the ones on PC. So many shareware demos or something similar.

Honestly, I just really miss demos in general being a bigger thing like they used to be.

It's all immediate gratification now, which is cool too, don't give me wrong. But man, I miss knowing demos were coming on the following month's disc and having something else to look forward to.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Not really.

It's like getting food samples at a grocery store display. Entirely unfulfilling.

I need the whole enchilada, baby!

Duchess

Never mind demo discs, who remembers getting demo cassettes from magazines? Often enough, what was included on those C64 demo tapes was enough to make me [ask my mum to] buy the magazine. Every now and again you'd get a full game, too.

Then there were the Amiga days, where you'd have 2 or 3 discs attached to the cover. Lots of interesting PD games from those floppies.

CDs during the PlayStation 1 era remained a thing for a while, before (I assume) it grew too expensive to continue.

Hey, does anyone remember that one crazy time where you bought the PS2 Metal Gear Solid 2 demo and Konami threw in that free robot game? That was pretty sweet 🤪

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I stopped buying mags in the mid 90s so I never got a console demo disc, but I did get a PS1 sampler disc when I bought a used PS1. The guy even included the disc. Fantastic.

I bought Formula 1 and Tekken 2 based off it.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I used to be hardcore with my Mean Machines magazine (it really was excellent, shame it split up into two mags) and later ones. When demo discs were finally a thing for console (before CD's came out, we had to make do with VHS tapes...) I loved them, but I don't miss them. There's still enough demos that come out for me to download, but I have such a massive back catalogue of games, it's become irrelevant to me. I don't miss having to shed a bunch of money for a mag and get it home, only to find all of the news is old and the headlines all hyperbole and "clickbait" and demos rubbish. The first disc of Panzer Dragoon Saga was certainly a highlight though, wish I'd kept it really, might be worth something!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't miss the demo disks. I miss the games having demos, it's something very rare today.
Amen to that.

During the 360/PS3 era, every game and indie seemed to have a demo. Pretty sure it was mandated. Even indie games on XBLIG had 10 minute trials.

Now, it's rolling the dice on a game unless you do your own YT searches and trust what you see out there as good enough to make a purchase decision.

sunnysideup

Banned
It was such an easy and convenient way to try games.

Most of the time i would pop the disc in, try all 7 games in 5 minutes and toss it out into the pile. I have a huuuuge pile of demodiscs. When i dig up an old disc based console these days, i often return to the demo pile. Its like flipping through old magazines.

Sometimes i would find a game that did interesting things with the graphics, like quake 2 on psone, or some game that was sorta fun for an 30 minutes play session like some random snowboard game.

Sometimes you found games you would not have thought you would like but did. But this is and was truly rare.

Or when you got a demo of an game that you really really wanted like mgs2 and you played that over and over again, thinking about how the finished game would end up. In the end the demo was better than the finished game.

I still download demos of games i really like to play. But i rarely if ever download random demos. It just takes to long. Downloading, installing, uninstalling. It just is not enjoyable.

But i would like to have some modern demodiscs. If its not possible physically, they could make them downloadable. Ten demos packaged into one file, which you only have to download, installl, uninstall once.

carlosrox

Banned
Yes, very much so. Those were great.

Game demos in general are awesome to have. I remember the 360 had tons and tons of demos (probably even for most games?).

video game demos , ran shit once , for pc. , i was a magazine addict , for many years.. but the best years? the free sweeties , toys and demo discs , on magazines.

Matt_Fox

BTW there are still some decent console demos out there... Resident Evil 8 did one few months ago, and Samurai Warriors has one out at the moment.

They definitely added value to video game magazines, and the total absence of them today is just one more reason why one by one each mag has gone out of business.

My favorite demo discs came from the Official Xbox Magazine, some of them had the newest or pre-released triple A titles and those discs were the only way you got to try them. They also had trailers for brand new games that I couldn't find anywhere else at the time due to Internet's infancy and lack of YouTube. I miss is solely for the nostalgia reasons but nothing else.

Markio128

Just mentioned demos in the subscription vs purchase thread as some suggested gamepass was great for trying games. That’s what demos were good for, so yeah, I miss them, physical and digitally.

Bluecondor

There was a demo disc included with the PSVR, and then about a year later, Sony released "Playstation VR Worlds" which was also a demo disc. These were great. I definitely miss demo discs.

amigastar

I remember playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 demo from a gaming magazine on the PSX. Good stuff.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What a time.... never had the nerve to rip the disc from the plastic like the cool kids.. I did Import that one Famitsu with the RE4 GC demo... still have it so so mint condition

poodaddy

Demo's are still around and I don't want a bunch of discs laying around the house, as the wife would get pissed and anxious about it by the existence of the second pile of discs, so no I don't.

SkylineRKR

I don't miss them, but during the PS1 days and even PS2 days they were great. Demo1 on Playstation was so good that I probably played it as much as a full game.

Top Bottom