• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you PC guys like to see metrics while you’re playing?

Siri

Banned
I bought an LG C9 for gaming last year, and due to ‘burn-in worry’ recently switched off my metrics, which appear in the top left corner of my display.

I discovered that not knowing what my temps were, and how much of my GPU was being utilized, and what my frames and frame-times were, made me... paranoid. LOL.

So I’m back to metrics on. Anyone else here like to game with metrics on?

ForestVSea

No. I usually guess what settings will be good based on how the game looks in trailers, and the power of my machine, and as long as it's not slow and stuttering im ready to go.

I do during certain games. Mostly while doing setup for the first time. Most of the time no tho. Well that’s not right. I always have FPS being shown but not everything else.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

If I have downloaded a bunch of mods or made hardware changes I will turn it on during moments where the game was previously stressed to see if there is an improvement. But I never just leave it on for the entire duration of playing.

V4skunk

Banned
I have my cpu/gpu temps and fan speed on the windows start tab. Don't care about having it display in game with fps etc....

LostDonkey

I use the Logitech Arx Control app on my phone linked to the software on my desktop.

just prop my phone up under my monitor, it's great.

Hostile_18

Banned
Keeping it on all the time seems crazy to me. That's proper immersion breaking. If you need a counter to let you know if your games running smoothly or not perhaps you don't need high FPS gaming in the first place.

crumbs

Most of the time it's off, but I'll keep them on during the first 30+ minutes of a new game to get an idea of performance and identify any issues. I set RTSS to show CPU temp & utilization, GPU temp & utilization, VRAM, System RAM, and FPS.

Aidah

I only have them on when adjusting graphics settings, which is typically when I'm just starting a new game or when I notice issues. Don't like to have them on when actually playing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like to whip my dick out and watch my task manager while I finger my way through Crysis.

When both my cpu and gpu are almost, but not quite at maximum capacity, is what I bet making love feels like. :foreveralone:

No, if there is a problem with performance I just drop everything to high or medium. I don't have the energy to mess around with individual settings.

If there are still significant performance issues that game gets thrown in the trash instead.

Last edited:

Chromata

Only for a little bit (~10 mins) to get an idea of how my system is performing with the game so that I can make any adjustments needed early on.

I never fully leave it on since that just gets in the way of the experience.

Nah, if I don't notice performance issues, why have something validating if there is any or not?

There is the menu in FFXIV that shows you your FPS though, and that crazy number always makes me laugh.

StonedRider

If I'm playing games - I'm playing games and don't want to be distracted by anything and lose immersion. I want to see metrics only when I'm tweaking performance settings.

Banned
when I first play a game to dial in the settings, but then I usually turn it off, aside from Multiplayer shooters n stuff

I turn RTSS on just to make sure temps are where I want them, especially in really demanding games. I pride myself on how cold my system runs. Low PC temps are the only thing I've accomplished in life.

Thaedolus

Just when figuring out new overclocks or new settings on a game. Otherwise no, if I have to monitor my shit in game then I didn’t actually set it up right

MastAndo

Gold Member
Yeah, more often than I care to admit. I have Rivatuner SS overlay on everything by default to check FPS, CPU and GPU utilization/temps. I'll toggle it off when all is A-OK though.

junguler

Banned
if it feels like the game is not running at 60 i'll enable steam's fps counter just to make sure and change settings to achieve 60, if not i won't bother.

Siri

Banned
Keeping it on all the time seems crazy to me. That's proper immersion breaking. If you need a counter to let you know if your games running smoothly or not perhaps you don't need high FPS gaming in the first place.

I shouldn’t have said paranoid. It’s really out of curiosity mostly. I just like to see how much my cpu and GPU are being used.

I like to know what my GPU temps are because my GPU will often climb above 80c if I don’t have the fan set right, in which case the GPU will throttle. Every now and then my CPU temp will skyrocket, in which case I want to know what my motherboard temp is - I actually had one crack on me once because it was so hot.

I like the tech side of gaming almost as much as gaming itself - which maybe explains why I felt something was missing when I switched off the metrics. LOL.

Ellery

I have a toggle for it in MSI afterburner, but I usually turn it off once I found the settings and framerate I want to play at and then only check in every now and then if I might feel the framerate dropping or see details in the world (lets say shadows) that I want to turn up a notch and look if I have enough fps headroom to do so.

Other than that I turn it off to immerse myself fully into the game.

The only time I've used it this year was probably for that bad port of HOrizon Zero Dawn. With my system I randomly have issues, but that game was acting insane lol..glad I got the refund on that lol

Siri

Banned
I have a toggle for it in MSI afterburner, but I usually turn it off once I found the settings and framerate I want to play at and then only check in every now and then if I might feel the framerate dropping or see details in the world (lets say shadows) that I want to turn up a notch and look if I have enough fps headroom to do so.

Other than that I turn it off to immerse myself fully into the game.

You can toggle the metrics on and off in-game? What???

Top Bottom