• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you PC guys like to see metrics while you’re playing?

Mostly just the Nvidia frame counter and the little icons that let you know Shadowplay is doing its thing properly. I'll put on the RTSS frame time graph if I'm troubleshooting. Or if I'm playing PUBG, because that game is still a stuttering mess and I like the frame time graph to be up to prove in real time that I'm not going crazy and the game indeed got me killed.

Ellery

You can toggle the metrics on and off in-game? What???

Jupp. I have it on F7 or so in MSI Afterburner in the settings it has a toggle hotkey somewhere.

toggle.jpg

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I use the subtle grey Steam FPS counter in my upper left corner. Basically invisible when not looking directly at it.

Yes. I always have Afterburner [RTSS] on until I find the most demanding place in game and after tweaking the settings if need be so min framerate is 60 in that place I turn it off and never need to worry about it ever again.

crumbs

You can toggle the metrics on and off in-game? What???

Yes, using Afterburner + RTSS, you can customize which metrics appear on the OSD and you can setup a hotkey to toggle the OSD on/off. You can also customize size and color of the displayed metrics, which may help with your fear of IR/burn-in on your OLED.

Ever since I got a Free sync monitor I've disabled all metrics. I only check them for one benchmark tune in to make sure they are high enough on average and after that I let FS do its magic

Yoboman

I used to have an frame rate count but realised it just annoyed me and led to me going back and tinkering more settings

FPS top right corner.

I check GPU/CPU utilization if I somehow have unexplainable fps drops to see what the bottle neck is, but it's been ages since I had to do it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I will when I first start a game to make sure my FPS is above a certain threshold for Gsync.

fersnake

i turned it off on my main monitor but i put this on a second one.

btw fps shows 0 because im not playing any game right now.

3026d74e7392be399a2c168c717e0b4f.png

T-Cake

Hell, yes. I like to corroborate every stutter, hitch and tear with the frame time and frame rate graphs that are always in the left corner. 😂

Not on my screen, no.

But I LOVED having it on my LCD keyboard. Unfortunately, my LCD keyboard stopped working a year ago and apparently RGB keyboards have taken over for LCD keyboards FOR SOME REASON. I genuinely have no clue why RGB lightning is so popular and took over something with ACTUAL UTILITY.
/rant

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I bought an LG C9 for gaming last year, and due to ‘burn-in worry’ recently switched off my metrics, which appear in the top left corner of my display.

This is why I don't get why people still buy oled. How is the color quality worth it when there's so many downsides compares to the pros of this technology?

Think of being so worry about some shit like burn in so you have to disable your HUD.

Droxcy

I keep the metrics at work when I'm gaming im just gaming...Just kidding

When I'm playing FPS I have my frame counter and latency about it

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

For the first few runs, yeah. Check everything is playing nice. More habit than any sort of requirement for most games these days. I'm limiting to 141 with RTSS anyway, so just one keypress to show/hide.

Last edited:

TheMan

Only for DCS because FPS can vary so wildly depending on where your view lands. Usually the counter confirms my suspicions.

Last edited:

stitch1

This is one of the reasons I went back to consoles. I found myself trying to squeeze more performance rather than just play the game.

baphomet

If you're concerned about your temps enough that you constantly need to monitor them then you obviously have issues with your build.

And no. I can visually tell that frame rates are 75+ without a counter, and as long as they are in that ballpark gsync does the rest.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about your temps enough that you constantly need to monitor them then you obviously have issues with your build.
My system has been working on AI enlargement of a movie for most of the day (it's mostly a GPU task, but it still keeps my CPU around 25%, and the CPU go much higher even under heavy load).
aCfalch.png

I have a regular air cooler--but a big case with strategically placed fans, and a very low tolerance for noise.

So yeah, if a guild is noisy or has temp problems these days there is a problem with it (sometimes fans are on the wrong PWN/DC setting, or it's an Intel machine).

CamHostage

I've never used it, but having the system monitor app (or if you're extreme, an actual mini-monitor) seems like a nice solution for people who like stats but don't want to feel like their games are just a stream of metrics?

I'm not sure if there's one yet that purely taps gameplay stats and presents them in a user-friendly yet still stat-rich manner (that's a call out to any app builders out there to try making one if a good one isn't out there...) so if this link sucks then my apologies (I'm not seeing in-app framerate in the readout screenshots, so maybe this is only useful if you want really nerdy info about your tower temp...)

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I try to keep them off because I find that Im looking more at the FPS counter than the game Im actually trying to play. Like Im testing framerate more than anything.

Rikkori

Absolutely not. Once I have my OC profile dialed in then I just keep overlay off & only do per-game testing initially then no more. If I'm worried about something I'll just keep HWInfo running in the background and log the data to analyse it later.

Maximum immersion, always.

Nope. I might turn FPS on for a while when I first upgrade to a new graphics card, just to see how it is doing versus my old card, but other than that definitely not.

A long time ago I fell into that trap that so many PC gamers do and was more focused on the tech, what my temps were, and how much I could get out of something by overclocking it, etc. and I finally realized that I was supposed to be PLAYING a game, and not focused on that stuff.

Last edited:

Antitype

Like many others in this thread, RTSS during initial setup, then I turn off all metrics. I find having the overlay on all the time can really ruin the experience because then I'll constantly make adjustments.

Kaleinc

Banned
I guess that's a twitch kids thing - can't look at anything unless there's a megaton of pepes present at all times.

dcx4610

Only if I feel like something is off or curious what kind of FPS I'm getting. Once I see the average though, I turn it off. Too easy to obsess over that stuff and have it ruin your experience of enjoying the game.

Catphish

I usually have task manager running on a separate monitor, especially when playing demanding games like Flight Simulator 2020.

LOLCats

Banned
I bought an LG C9 for gaming last year, and due to ‘burn-in worry’ recently switched off my metrics, which appear in the top left corner of my display.

I discovered that not knowing what my temps were, and how much of my GPU was being utilized, and what my frames and frame-times were, made me... paranoid. LOL.

So I’m back to metrics on. Anyone else here like to game with metrics on?
you can run something like aida64 remote sensor on a tablet. which is what i do because i dont like stat overlays, but i need my telemetry. i have a little tablet stand it sits on the desk.

there was a thread about this some time back. i posted an image of my basic setup.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm running benches, obviously I want them. If I'm just gaming, a simple FPS counter is all I need.

Top Bottom