• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you PC guys like to see metrics while you’re playing?

LordOfChaos

Yeah and it's kind of my problem when gaming on PC. I like to keep an eye on things, but then it's like, "oh, this went down to 50fps, better go tweak something", and I spend as much time tweaking as playing. Which can be it's own type of fun, but I see the appeal of both this world and press a button and go consoles.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Depends on if I know if my system is stable or not. Sometimes if you’ve just made a change to your PC or you’re trying a new cooling solution, metrics are %100 invaluable. But if I know my system, then usually not. I’ll just sit back and enjoy the game (sometimes I’ll keep Steams FPS counter on screen though in case I feel a hitch in responsiveness I can check my frames).

brian0057

Banned
Nope.
If a game looks choppy when I'm playing, I'll just adjust the settings until it doesn't look choppy anymore.
I'm pretty familiar with what my system can and can't do.
I wanna play my games and not have to constantly look at the corner of the screen and get distracted, pulling me out of the game. We already have minimaps for that.

Man this game fucking kicks ass. I hit 60 frames all the time no drops! And that arctic cool hitting 60c? This pc build is lit!

All I need is a FPS Counter from time to time. And then I will look at it for a few times and forget about it.
Why worry about all those metrics though? Just enjoy the damn game you are playing :D

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Aside from metrics, I always lock fps to 58 in order to stay in 4k 40-60hz freesync range for maximum smoothness. I take care of all that stuff that actually just takes me out of the game but I can't do without

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I always have a widget on my second monitor's task bar showing the current CPU/GPU/RAM/Network consumption.
My laptop also has a widget for temperatures, as the thing tends to get quite hot.

Other than that: FPS or so, only very rarely.
At the moment, playing Doom Eternal on Linux (Proton), I was curious about the performance so I added the FPS display. But I don't generally do that.

Last edited:

Ogrebushi

Neo Member
Steams fps counter, though i rarely look at it. I do worry about temps now and again (mostly a habit when i had an old 8350) but instead of ton of desktop space on an overlay for temps
and the fact i dislike "clownshit" so i dont have rainbow led's going, instead i use the software to setup the motherboard led to "TEMP" green->yellow-> red, and the AIO led has the same deal.
Never need to worry about the gpu since its an old MSI rx480 thats normal fan curve didnt even have it ramp up more than 20% or so when i was playing around with etherium mining ages ago.

GymWolf

No, i hate having that stuff on screen but not becaude of burn in, i just don't like statistics where i play.

I'm so lazy sometimes that even when i have shitty performance, i still don't put the statistics in game to see if it's a gpu or cpu problem, mostly necause even knowing that i'm not expert enough to fix the problem :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The only thing i keep up is the framerate with riva tuner and only for the first hours to see if i can maintain stable 60 fps.

Last edited:

ViolentP

If something is wrong, won't your eyes tell you that? Why do you need a framerate counter to tell you if there is something wrong or not? Serious question.
Easier to eyeball a 30 frame drop when it is below 60. When it has dropped from 140 to 110? Not so much.

Chastten

Banned
Nope, unless there's something wrong and metrics might help me find out what exactly.

If I'm enjoying a game I don't need to know my FPS, frametime, memory usage or whatever.

I don't look at any metrics for my pc unless I'm worried about my harddrive.

Heres a question for all those tracking fps. If you can't tell if your game is smooth buttery 60fps (tm) without metrics does it really matter if you are getting 60fps?

Three

I bought an LG C9 for gaming last year, and due to ‘burn-in worry’ recently switched off my metrics, which appear in the top left corner of my display.

I discovered that not knowing what my temps were, and how much of my GPU was being utilized, and what my frames and frame-times were, made me... paranoid. LOL.

So I’m back to metrics on. Anyone else here like to game with metrics on?
If I wanted to see metrics while playing a game I would have stayed in the office.

Siri

Banned
Heres a question for all those tracking fps. If you can't tell if your game is smooth buttery 60fps (tm) without metrics does it really matter if you are getting 60fps?

It’s interesting that so many people posting in this thread have made the assumption that those of us who display metrics are unable to differentiate between high and low frame-rates.

I’d argue it’s the opposite, that people who display metrics are probably very good at gauging frame-rates (without the use of frame counters) because it’s likely they’re ‘techies’. Myself, I’m highly susceptible to any sort of frame-time issue and will ‘feel it‘ before I see it. I can also easily tell the difference between 30, 45, 60, 75 and 120 FPS.

So why do I play with metrics on? (I can can actually picture many of you sitting there with sour looks on your faces, wondering what my problem is.)

Because I’m a techie! I love seeing my GPU and CPU usage and temperatures and how much system ram and vram a certain game is drawing. And, for me, seeing these metrics doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the game - but actually enhances it. What a wonderful feeling seeing your GPU at 95% capacity, running below 80 Celsius, and your frames bang on at 60! Seeing such a metric totally justifies the purchase of my 4K display and 2080TI, and brings a big smile to my face!

My ideal date, btw, would be sitting the young lady down at my computer and showing her my metrics while playing a near maxed out RedDead Redemption 2 at 4K - everything sky high! I’m even getting excited right now just thinking about it!

T-Cake

I noticed in all my gaming metrics that Resident Evil 7 seems to be one of the most smoothest I've ever seen on the frame time graphs in RTSS. In nearly all games, there are tiny little spikes (0.1ms) you can see on the graph but which are imperceptible otherwise but RE7 is just rock solid smoooooooth.

teezzy

Banned
People concerned with FPS drops they can't even notice without an FPS counter. :unsure:

I have G Sync for a reason. Everything I play is butter.

Top Bottom