• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you play games on a handheld device?

M.W.

I own a smart phone, a Vita and a Switch Lite and yet never feel the urge to play games on them. I love the concept of handhelds (Steam Deck preordered) but for some reason I spend my time on console/PC only. I don't commute much (been WFH since March of last year) so maybe that has something to do with it. What about you's guys?

odhiex

I prefer gaming on a big TV, but it is sure nice to have options to play something simple on the go.

The prospect of handheld gaming is always been fascinating to me. Although I must admit, compare to consoles/PC, the time I have spent on the handhelds is significantly less. Maybe 15 vs. 85 in the proportions.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Between DS/3DS & Switch i play a hell of a lot of handheld games, they were the last frontier where quirky & fun experimental games still came out. Glad to see that the Switch is starting to see those types of games again. When i'm at work one of them always comes with me to play on during my lunchbreak.

A huge volume of my collection is devoted to handhelds, hell this is the DS stuff alone. Really do need to finish up getting the remainder of the 3DS stuff i missed out on before it gets too expensive. For DS i'm pretty much almost done now although there's still a handful of titles i'm looking for.
T9bHOzf.jpg

Monokrom

Once in a while I play on my Vita, mainly when I'm visiting my mother. Playing PS1 classics like Suikoden 1& 2 and Castlevania SotN.
But I prefer to play PS5 on my 65" tv.

Alkemyst

Nope. I used to be big on handhelds but haven't seriously played them in years. Barely take my Switch out the box.

nemiroff

Gold Member
No, I just honestly don't see the point when I have these amazing high end setups with big screens.

That reminds me: I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra and never played a single game on it, lol

cireza

Banned
I play Vita quite a bit, Switch Lite every once in s while as well as 3DS and also Game Gear.

I also play GBA on the Wii U Gamepad which is pretty much like playing a handheld.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I beat Xenoblade Chronicles 3D a few hours ago. Spectacular. Otherwise I mostly play on my PC.

I don't play shit on my phone, fuck that.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Used to play on my switch while laying down, but not really in a long time. game time is down and whatever game time I have ps5/xsx gets first dibs. when I'm out like on the metro I sometimes play that mario run game on my cell phone.

Rayderism

I stopped with handhelds when I started needing glasses about 10 years ago. Besides, when I'm home, I have my consoles or PC to game on. When I'm out somewhere, I'm too busy to be playing games. I just don't seem to have any practical use for them anymore.

nkarafo

No, not anymore. 99,99% of mobile game are trash, while the whole touch screen interface limits the playable genres to just a handful anyway. Even connecting a gamepad via bluetooth isn't ideal because most of the times you get horrible input lag.

But even if phones weren't an awful platform to play games, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference for me. Nowadays, i need a big screen and a powerful 5.1 sound to enjoy a game at it's fullest. And even though i would probably still enjoy something like Advance Wars on a handheld to kill my time on the bus, i still end up doing something else like browse the internet or listen to music.

catvonpee

Not usually, unless there's a Switch game I want to play. I'll probably be taking my Switch with me in October for a few days for Metroid.

Ellery

No. I wouldn't know where and when, but I am also older than 30 and I don't travel much by train, bus or plane.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have a 3DS and it got some use for sure, but by the end i never really used it.

That is one of the reasons why I never got a Switch and have no plans to get a Steam Deck. I just dont play portable.

Mr Branding

My Switch barely gets used while docked. Play a ton handheld, also have a Vita and can’t wait for SDeck. Also playing some old school dos games on my gaming laptop

Maybe it’s because I grew up with handhelds but I just can’t play games on my phone. I really rather just have a dedicated gaming handheld with real buttons. That being said I usually rather play on a TV. I don’t really have time to play games when I’m not home relaxing, so handhelds don’t have much utility for me.

I do have a modded 3DS I use occasionally. Last thing I really played on it was Samus Returns a month ago.

I use a handheld occasionally due to work, still have a Vita, new 3DS XL & a Switch. Funnily enough the Switch gets used least for portable play as I find it cumbersome, only really undock it when reviewing a game to spend more time on it and get portable performance. 3DS is the one I tend to carry around, I'll even play it when I'm at home as I can be a sucker for stereoscopic 3D and the updated version of it on the new 3DS is stellar.

amigastar

I love my 3DS but strangely i don't have any big interest in the Switch.
Maybe if Rockstar would announce a top down GTA on the Switch.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Yes.

I finish games on handheld. They hold my attention. On PC and console, I get distracted and tend to drop everything.

JCK75

Currently switch is the only handheld I use, I hate gaming on my phone more than anything and I just can't be bothered.
I have a cheap tablet that I will use for some Plants vs Zombies and World of goo and such but I'd never want to play an actual full fledged game on it.

Tschumi

Bb22 GIF by Big Brother

Yes.

Yes.

I play a PSP 1000 BABY.

I own a Vita. I own a new 3ds. I own a PSP 2000.

I play a mofuggin PSP 1000.

Why? Because it's sexy, it is the single best looking console ever made - also the best feeling, its weight is gorgeous and its solidity is badass.

Does it matter that I can't play super good looking games? Shit no. It's dripping with classics, and I take my time. It fits into my hands perfectly, it's small enough to not be humiliating to use in public (Vita is almost small enough, but still a bit too obvious... especially if you attach handholds to it...

Lumines. Lumines 2. Tactics Ogre. Jeanne D'Arc. Ridge Racer. This is just the beginning... For the rest of my life, I'm content to only ever play this PSP. Until I've finished every good game on the thing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not as much as when I was a kid. I used to play my GBA all the time. I have a PSP, Vita, and DS and while I used them a lot, it's not nearly the amount of use that consoles got. I use my Switch docked 95% of the time and probably won't buy another handheld in the future.

It's the reason I have no interest in the Steam Deck. I know I won't use it enough and its docked mode would only be lackluster to me.

_Ex_

I'm very much into handhelds, since I got my first Game Boy back in 1989. Most recent handheld I bought was a Retroid Pocket 2. I very rarely play handhelds outside my house, but I do play them in my house. Allows intimate cozy gaming in locales of the home which aren't near an HDTV. Handheld game design is generally mindful of more expedient player progress (shorter levels, faster completion time, more frequent saving) which are boons if you are a busy adult. Also handheld games to harbor more quirky or innovative game designs due to not having as big of budgets as console games, so they are willing to take more risks as a result. I appreciate that aspect as well.

Sure, I used Vita all the time until pretty recently. Now, I use Switch (in both modes) as much as I use any other console.

Mobile? No. GTFO with that garbage.

Top Bottom