• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you play games on a handheld device?

Mr Hyde

I almost never played portable before Switch. I owned a GBA and a Vita but they were seldom used. Switch is the first handheld that I truly loved, mostly because of the hybrid format, but also for it being the first device to bring that console experience on the go and do it well. I also travel a lot more now so it's getting a good amount of use. I have also gravitated towards indies in the past years and Switch is perfect for that

Not really, I play Gameboy/Gameboy Advance sometimes but mostly I prefer the big screen. I used to play some PSP/Vita, but eventually I always felt "ok this is cool, but most of these games would be better with a bigger budget on a big screen".

I prefer to play Gameboy stuff on a CRT as well really.. The handheld aspect doesn't add much for me, only if I want to kill some time when I'm traveling. But mostly I do other stuff anyway..

gamer82

Rarely on my 3ds , kinda ina gaming rut just now I just can’t seem to get in the mood to turn any of the consoles on.

maybe the end is near

I absolutely love the Switch. I recently dug out my New3DSXL to play through some of the games I missed and have been enjoying it and I always have my GBA charged to play Tetris DX. I really hope Nintendo's next console is in the same spirit as the current Switch.

In the summer I head out to the lake where we don't even have a modern TV so handhelds are the go-to entertainment if the weather sucks.

Mobile/phone games are trash and have no place in gaming discussion outside Reddit.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not much but more becuase what I play isn’t one it. If switch had a port of destiny 2 I’d be all over it

pr0cs

nah, don't see the point.

maybe if I had to commute each day but with covid closing all our business offices and everyone WFH now I see zero point to own a handheld device.

KAL2006

Banned
Yes I do but it all comes down to software. I played handhelds more before due to the software. On Gameboy Color, Bomberman Hero, Pokémon Gold I was hooked. DS I played Phoenix Wright and was hooked used to play it in bed. I don't usually okay handheld outside but I still like portable play in bed etc. Steam Deck will be used to play a few games in bed, sometimes someone watches TV in the room with the PS5.

Roberts

Havent played anything on my phone in years, have no interest in Switch and I’m not even sure where my Vita is (I used to love it, though), so I guess my answer is a hard no. I think COVID didn’t help, because I don’t travel and therefor have no real reason to play on handhelds.

Aenima

I play daily on my smartphone. (playing Nier Reincarnation now)

I have a PSP that got very little use, and also had a GB Advance that even less use got. No intention to ever buy another portable device just for games.

Astral Dog

I play Switch on both handheld and docked, have a big library of GBA, DS and 3DS games portables are pretty cool 👍

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I definitely use my Vita, 3DS, Wii U Gamepad, and my Switch. On the Vita I like to play PS1 classics, which I’m playing Wild Arms at the moment. I replayed Xenogears last year. I finished Dawn of Sorrow on my 3DS and I’m replaying Portrait of Ruin again. I have a backlog of JRPGs I want to get to including DQ7/8. I played through a lot of the NDS games back when they were out. I plan to replay Chrono Trigger again at some point. Wii U I’ll play a bunch of the GBA VC titles. I’ve got a lot of classic VC games. All the Zelda VC Classics I’ve got on my Wii U and 3DS. As far as the Switch goes. I play it in handheld mode a lot. I docked it for Astral Chain, Link’s Awakening, and Monster Hunter Rise. Otherwise I’ll use it in handheld mode. I do plan to get a Steam Deck for my Steam collection. I played a lot of PC games back in 2010-2013, but I went back to console. I still do have a ton of PC games on Steam, Origin, GOG, etc. I’d like to play a lot of those games, so having a portable option available is going to be a dream come true. I can play Chuck’s Challenge on my phone, but I can’t play Chip’s Challenge unless I stream from my PC. I have a good selection of iOS games too. I have about 75-80% of Square’s iOS games and all of Rockstar’s games on iOS. I even have the unplayable MvsC2, X-MEN, SMT, Dead Space, and Mass Effect on iOS. I prefer handheld over my phone just because I get tired of using my phone for everything.

dcx4610

No. GBA was the last time I was serious about handhelds. I did get the DS and 3DS but I barely touched them. It was more getting them for getting them.

I'm mostly at my PC so I'll be playing games on the screen in front of me. Otherwise, I'll be playing games on my TV. I just don't have a good use case for handhelds. If I traveled for work or I had a job stuck in an office with a bunch of down time, I'd be interested in the Steam Deck.

That said, there are a ton of great handheld games and if there's a GBA game I want to play, I want the authentic experience of playing it on the handheld rather than emulation or on a big screen.

supernova8

Banned
Nope. I bought most handhelds but stopped playing them early on because I would only play them at home, and if I’m playing games at home I’d rather play on a tv.

Mobile games with touch controls are a giant no deal.
Used to play Zelda on the shitter before I sold my Switch. I always considered it a home console that I could occasionally pick up and carry with me rather than a handheld device that could be docked.

sunnysideup

Banned
Nope never.

But not because i dont like to games in an handheld form factor. But because the games on handhelds suck.

This is what is so revolutionary with the deck. I can continue to play the games i play on my pc in my bed or in my back yard.

It will be a great way to finnish games with mundane sections like jrpgs and grinding. Level grind on the deck a then play the story parts on my oled.

Griffon

Back a decade ago I used to play PSP (and later on 3DS) all the time on the loo and in bed before sleep.

Unfortunately since then I didn't feel the urge to get a Vita nor a Switch nor anything equivalent... I simply watch some shit on youtube/twitch or browse neogaf on my phone.

I need to remedy this, the steam deck will be perfect for that.

Last edited:

lachesis

When I was commuting on 30min LIRR ride or NJ Transit bus ride ... YES, all the time.
But since I'm driving in these days, I literally can't. I can see playing it again if autonomous driving becomes the norm though.

On the other hand, my eyes can't really see small things - so I would need glasses to enjoy it. That's one of the reason that I don't really use my smartphone much, because of my old eyes. :(

Sleepwalker

I used my 3ds and sometimes I use my switch. But way way less as i've gotten older. As a teen I used to take my GBA SP and then DS everywhere

Celcius

°Temp. member
Never.
If I'm playing games then I'm at home.
If I'm not at home then I'm doing something else.

Susurrus

Pretty much just if I'm on a trip via work or vacation. Great way to spend time on planes or if I'm in the hotel for the night. Admittedly, this hasn't happened much for the last year and a half, thanks covid.

Only other exception might be if my TV is in use, but even then, I have a spare Switch dock in my bedroom to move the Switch to, and a PSTV to remote play on for my PS4 games in the same place, so more often than not, that happens instead.

GeekyDad

Lttp on this thread, but I pretty much exclusively play on my 3DS or PSP. I have Steam games and consoles, but with work and such, it's just easier/more relaxing to play on my 3DS for a few minutes here and there while sitting at my desk (or on the commode). Still getting so much mileage out of my library of games. Shit, there are games I still have in the wrapper :D ; just waiting for the mood to strike. It's a comfort thing, I guess, and the ease of entry and exit is so easy with the clamshell of the 3DS and sleep mode of the PSP. Hoping to eventually splurge on a Vita and catch up with its library as well.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Nope. I was thinking about getting a DS or 3DS back in the day, but it was like, that's excessive if I'm playing while lying down in bed or whatever. And that whole line of games. Play enough crap as it is.

XXL

I own a Switch. I played a few games on it and never touched it again. Loved Mario Oddessy, hated BOTW.
If You Say So Shrug GIF

Hugare

Have never played with my Switch outside. The damn thing is gigantic.

But played a lot with my PSP and 3DS while going to work/college

FeldMonster

Never had a desire to play worse graphics and gameplay than my home console (SNES, N64, DC) while growing up, and now that the technology is better I have negative interest in anything Nintendo.

I have enjoyed Xbox Remote Streaming from my my Series X (and previously One X), but 5 Ghz WiFi is rare at hotels, etc.

Codes 208

Well over the course of being a gamer ive owned a gbc, gba, gba sp, og ds, ds lite, psp, og 3ds, vita, n3ds xl, 2ds, switch, switch lite and in a few days ill own a switch oled so idk you tell me.

(though for reference of those systems, i only still own a switch lite and a n3ds xl. The rest were either lost to time, stolen, or sold because i was dumb kid who needed money)

chixdiggit

In general I use my phone because it's always on me and that's mostly just Torn when I'm away from my PC.

I do love my Switch but mostly use it when I travel.
I have a Steam Deck ordered and I think I will get a little more use out of that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yes. On the God-tier console Wii U.
Switch-Wii-U.jpg

PSPgo as well. DSi occasionally but those small handhelds make my hands cramp, it's not that my hands are huge, just getting old and hands aren't used to handheld gaming.

I have the switch and that is docked. Rarely play handheld anymore. Noticed I didn't play handheld much when I got my Vita. Rather play a console and tv if I'm home and don't commute much anymore.

Top Bottom