• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you play video games as an escape?

Laptop1991

Yes i do quite a bit, especially the open world games of Tes, fallout and the older Gta games, if im immersed its a good game.

EekTheKat

I'm at the age where I look for things to escape from videogames, as I've been around long enough to see everything I loved as a kid burn to the ground in every form of media.

But in all seriousness,. some games do tend to provoke anger and build up a lot of stress and tension for me. Turning the screen off and go running and listening to a podcast tend to be better escapes for me.

I still dabble in some games, currently tackling Sunbreak on switch. but take frequent breaks.

YMMV of course.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I hope you're ok OP.

I play for escapism, generally. Not in the "take me from this hell" sense - life is fine - but in the same way I like to get lost in a film or a book.

It's why I have so little interest in multiplayer games. It's not some marginal difference. They're the total opposite of escapism.

In my teenage/early adult years yes, definitely, but someday I stopped having a shitty attitude towards life and everything became good. And now I‘m just playing from time to time because I like trophies.

CitizenZ

Banned
This is my opening sentence to every review I write:

Thank you to the dev {insert name} and publisher {insert name} for creating and providing a game for me to escape, X, and enjoy.

X= something usual tied to the genre like think, explore, or I put in a joke about the game. Last review, I entered "crafts bandage", as you have to do that all the time, one at a time.

op22

Mostly because shooting fireballs from my hands is fun. Experiencing the darker side of humanity from a safe distance in the great ones is also nice.

J0WxOLH.gif

SyWjLtH.gif

Top Bottom