• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer art work for a video game cover or just the logo by itself?

Do you prefer art work for a video game cover or just the logo by itself?

• Just the logo by itself, it's minimalistic that way.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Art work, just the logo by itself is boring.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • I don't give a shit as long as the game is good.

Votes: 30 32.3%

• Total voters
eBu8zb2.jpg

Nezzeroth

It depends. I used to like Final Fantasy covers more before, when they were white and clean (Europe). But usually artwork is better.

Garnox

Anesthetically, I like just the logo. Nice and clean.

However, as a consumer, I like the artwork, gives you some insight as to what the game is about.

Like a bookcover.

So I ultimately voted artwork.

Fahdis

Cool. I've got into GOG for the first time since Christmas with some cheap ass games. Didnt know you can make your own game icon.

You can sync all your games from different game stores like PS, Xbox, Epic etc and also add games manually; then apply the artwork. I'll take a pic or host a pic of my example when I can.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Lighting bolts are also very important. You need lots of lighting bolts so people know your game is cool and exciting.

2PwC7wu.jpg

Something that sets the tone. Usually, a still logo or graphic title that conveys the worldsetting or something key will do. Something like this:

Does the first Bioshock logo with the City icons count as Logo or Cover art?
The City icons under the logo look like they belong ias letters in the Logo.

gTcK8nk.jpg

I'm honestly still kind of miffed that Take2 went with this instead:

263216-bioshock-macintosh-front-cover.jpg

It really doesn't convery or envoke nearly the same tonality of the game's atmosphere. I would've preferred the visually stand alone descriptive title.

Artwork can be fine too, but most the time its not very exciting. "Tough-dude-walking-or-facing-towards-you" can only stay cool so many times. Its pretty clear most covers go through a checklist by some business marketing department. I prefer it when the developers themselves grace it with their own personal touch. If its an original idea then they usually understand the core of the game itself better than some unimaginative suits would.

Top Bottom