• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer Movies or TV Shows GAF?

Movies or TV Shows?

• Total voters
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realise I had thread making privileges until now, thought I'd have a go at making my first thread that interests me. Always been interested to know what people prefer. TV Shows have got more popular with the rise of streaming services and 'bingewatching'.

I tend to prefer Movies personally. Despite having many TV Shows at my disposal on Netflix. I have many reasons for that:

- They require much less commitment. You watch a movie and it's done.

- TV Shows sometimes go on too long and lose what made them good. They are more likely to have a weaker ending if the creators keep milking it.

- Movies are more polished/well put-together and usually have a cleaner ending.

- Filler moments are usually not that common unlike filler episodes to stretch out a season.

A TV Show has to be incredible for me to get fully engaged. The last show to really make me obsessed and forget about movies was Breaking Bad. I know it's a common pick, but it really did hook me like crazy. The character development was off the charts.

I think one thing TV Shows have going for them is they have more time to flesh out the characters and develop them. Movies have to do a good job in a short time.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Movies. I hate plots that drag out for too long. Some series are the exception, but more often than not it's just not worth the time investment.
Netflix cancelling shows has made it even harder to invest time as well. You'll be enjoying a show and then read news of it being cancelled without a proper conclusion. I think I have been burned too many times by them.

I just wish every show knew when to end at the right time. So often I hear someone say 'X Season was great, but then it goes downhill' and it makes you not want to watch it. People saying this put me off watching Dexter even though I heard good things about the earlier seasons.

I don't feel as bad when I watch a bad movie because it was usually 2 hours tops generally.

Mista

Banned
Movies, always and forever. I barely watch TV shows to begin with. The last one was The Witcher when it first got released and couple of days ago I started watching TWD.

I find watching a 1 hour episode is just too much for me. Not that I don’t enjoy it, but I pick my TV shows carefully.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Depends.

TV shows when they're epic and incredibly great. The experience I had with GOT was unlike anything I've ever had with a movie before. Especially the weekly format. All the discussions I had with friends and online communities about the show was just fun. Movies just can't replicate that weekly experience.

But those shows are rare.

Most of the time I prefer movies.

So basically movies have higher floor, TV shows have higher ceiling.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
TV shows when they're epic and incredibly great. The experience I had with GOT was unlike anything I've ever had with a movie before. Especially the weekly format. All the discussions I had with friends and online communities about the show was just fun. Movies just can't replicate that weekly experience.
I wish more TV shows still came out with a weekly format. It's so much easier to follow and you never fall behind. You feel like you are involved in something. A part of me groans when Netflix dumps a whole season at once and people are already finished with it and sharing spoilers. I realise it is much more of a better model for streaming services but I have never been too keen on the idea.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Used to prefer movies but the past few years has been TV shows on demand. I just don't have time to commit to 2+ hours in front of the tube anymore.

Also I don't have terrestrial TV so only watch on demand stuff with no commercials. I tend to be a bit behind the curve; I usually only watch something if I can binge it over a few days.

EDIT: Guess I need to also say I watch more youtube that either TV shows or movies.

Last edited:

mango drank

I used to prefer shows. The episodic, monster-of-the-week kind, usually, because they didn't need a big time commitment--you could jump in and out. But if a TV show with long continuity was really good (GoT, early Battlestar Galactica reboot, Twin Peaks season 1), I'd be into that too. But nowadays, so many shows are a mix of long-ass continuity, really slow and drawn out and very clearly just stalling for time, and really boring. Bad combination. So movies win by default. Tell me a good story, don't lead me on and waste my time.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Pretty equal for both I usually turn to movies when I crave more action and something fast paced. I turn to tv shows when I want more story. Some tv shows/movies are able to blur the line though in between but generally I don't expect too much crazy action/violence when I watch tv and I expect more dialogue and a slower pace.

nush

Gold Member
Netflix cancelling shows has made it even harder to invest time as well. You'll be enjoying a show and then read news of it being cancelled without a proper conclusion. I think I have been burned too many times by them.

That's not just a Netflix issue, it was just like that for regular TV. So many shows cancelled after 1/2 seasons, that's why even if a show is great and people are into it I'd wait until it it got to three seasons before getting into it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
That's not just a Netflix issue, it was just like that for regular TV. So many shows cancelled after 1/2 seasons, that's why even if a show is great and people are into it I'd wait until it it got to three seasons before getting into it.
Very true. I remember there was this show I really liked called FlashForward and it got canned after one season. I was bummed about that for the longest time. It had a really interesting storyline.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I rarely revisit television shows more than 1-2 times. Movies I can watch 20+ times and still love.
I do like mini series though (Band of Brothers, Chernobyl, John Adams, The Pacific). I’ll rewatch those more often.
Mini-Series are great. Nice to know they are getting a definitive conclusion when you watch them. When They See Us is a good one I watched recently. Great performances all-around, not too many episodes and captivating.

Mr Hyde

Movies. It's less commitment, they have an ending and with so many shows being canceled I don't have the energy or time to invest in something that may or may not finish. Movies are generally more well produced, and you can find lots of unique, well written and fascinating flicks in a way series are never allowed to be.

The last show I watched was The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance and it pretty much was the last straw for me regarding series. I loved it, it was so well made and compelling and when I was done I went online to see when season 2 came, only to find out that Netflix canceled it.

The only one I'm waiting for now is the final season of Better Call Saul. After that I'm done with tv-shows.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Movies. However, the caliber of TV in the last 2 decades has been damn great. The TV format inherently offers a platform for a more deep and fleshed out story. The problem lies in sticking the landing and not dragging out the show too long.
I thought Breaking Bad was a good example of ending at the right time. Despite the fact they had grown tremendously during the final couple of seasons with ratings, they still finished it. I'm sure they could have found ways to milk it, but thankfully didn't.

I got a bit worried when that El Camino movie was announced, but it ended up being pretty solid.

I think one of the problems with me is I really need to get heavily hooked in to a show. If I'm not feeling that obsessive feeling after a few episodes to find out what happens, it is likely I'll drop the show.

I thought Breaking Bad was a good example of ending at the right time. Despite the fact they had grown tremendously during the final couple of seasons with ratings, they still finished it. I'm sure they could have found ways to milk it, but thankfully didn't.

I got a bit worried when that El Camino movie was announced, but it ended up being pretty solid.

I think one of the problems with me is I really need to get heavily hooked in to a show. If I'm not feeling that obsessive feeling after a few episodes to find out what happens, it is likely I'll drop the show.
Yea, like I said it really depends on how long it goes on and how the show ends. I know some posters mentioned limited series and I fucking love that idea. Really enjoyed Queen's Gambit recently on Netflix. You could not do that story as good in a 3 hour movie. Ended on a perfect note.

On the other half GOT was a huge passion of mine. I convinced several people to check out the show. Prior to the last 2 seasons I thought it was better than 90% of the stuff Hollywood craps out every year. GOT has re-examined my approach in getting involved with TV shows in general. What a sad last season that was man.

Dark Star

Some ideas work better as TV shows rather than movies, and vice versa. I think movies, especially standalone movies, give you beginning/middle/end within the span of 2ish hours and you feel pretty content with the plot/characters and overall progression of the set/setting/story. In a traditional sense, movies are the best medium to convey a point without running too long, and many of them offer "rewatch value" which is why people actually purchase things like blu-ray and DVD's and even VHS tapes. The camera work, editing, music, acting, direction and production value is almost always elevated in the medium of movies, especially when it comes to very high budget commercial blockbusters.

However, some movies I've seen have a really great concept/idea, but they kind of fail to properly execute these concepts/ideas within that "movie format". They would work better as a Netflix series or something. Like not even a cash-grab sequel could redeem the way the writers fail to wrap the story up in the first iteration. This is why most moviegoers like the 1st film in a series or trilogy of movies the most, because that's where most of the appeal stems from.

I can't think of many TV shows that would be better as a movie, especially sitcoms that pack the content tight for those 20-30 minutes you're watching each episode. But I think most shows run for too long and are full of filler episodes that add very little to the plot. Many shows lose the audience's interest after multiple seasons, thus why so many are cancelled every year. I'd say more "dramatic" shows like Breaking Bad really demonstrate how you can stretch out a "movie idea" for a few seasons and make it gratifying and interesting, and flesh out characters who would otherwise be considered "background" or "side" characters in a 2 hour movie.

Last edited:
All this talk of tv shows and mini series reminded me of the fact we may never get a third season of David Fincher’s “Mindhunter”....

giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Punisher etc. should have been movies, save the time. Fad, trend etc.

tv shows

imagine condensing the sopranos or breaking bad into 90-120 minutes

these shows are better than any movie i've ever seen so you have quality AND quantity

I_D

Damn near every good movie that has ever existed could have used another half hour or so.
Even Kubrick's movies are too damn short.
TV shows allow for a plot to properly develop, with actual character-development for everybody the audience meets.

There are tons of shitty movies and shows, of course, but the greatest shows are better than the greatest movies.

xrnzaaas

TV shows, but I changed my habits over the last 10+ years and now I usually stay away from long running series that have outstayed their welcome. I like watching short(er) shows and mini-series.

Fbh

I think my favourite format is Miniseries or shows like Fargo where it's essentially a different story with a different cast every season.

The extra runtime allows to develop the plot and character better than movies, but the limited nature prevents extreme padding, unnecessarily stretching the plot for multiple seasons, unexpected cancellations and the massive disappointment of following a show for multiple years only to get to a horrible ending (like game of thrones)

MrMephistoX

I just wish every show knew when to end at the right time. So often I hear someone say 'X Season was great, but then it goes downhill' and it makes you not want to watch it. People saying this put me off watching Dexter even though I heard good things about the earlier seasons.

I don't feel as bad when I watch a bad movie because it was usually 2 hours tops generally.
Good point. The Marvel shows are a terrific example: great cast and very solid adaptations of the serialized comic storylines...now it’s all in limbo unless Disney adds them to D+ and reboots them.

teezzy

Banned
Good point. The Marvel shows are a terrific example: great cast and very solid adaptations of the serialized comic storylines...now it’s all in limbo unless Disney adds them to D+ and reboots them.

That Daredevil show was like the best thing I'd seen since Buffy/Angel

Then I found out it wasby Drew Goddard... Angel/Cabin in the Woods alumni. It's a shame they canned it

Volt-man98

Neo Member
Mostly movies because tv shows mostly leave cliffhangers endings and im kinda of a impatient.

i know movies do the same but it’s rarely they do that.

Hugare

Movies, sometimes mini-series

A movie or a mini-series is the perfect way to tell a story

Most shows tend to shit the bed adter 1-2 seasons, when they try their best to stretch the story

True Detective, Sharp Objects and Years and Years are excellent mini-series that worked for me because they told a story in less than 10 episodes and that was enough

Moogle11

Banned
Used to be more into movies, but has swung more to series. I really only watch with my wife these days as gaming, reading and sports watching took priority in my “me time.”

It’s easier to just have some series to watch with the wife regulary until we finish rather than wasting time browsing around various streaming services to find a movie each time. I don’t really follow movies like I did back in my teens through early 30s either, so I don’t have a running list of movies I want to watch in my head.

I also like series as it’s easier to get more invested in characters, plot lines etc., character development has a lot more room etc. when it’s a few seasons rather than a couple hours.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
That Daredevil show was like the best thing I'd seen since Buffy/Angel

Then I found out it wasby Drew Goddard... Angel/Cabin in the Woods alumni. It's a shame they canned it
Honestly struggled to get in to Daredevil. I kept watching it for Jon Bernthal as The Punisher, I think he stole the show. I think Daredevil gets his ass kicked too much. Was never that big on Elektra either. The Punisher is probably the best Marvel show IMO. Loved Ben Barnes as Billy Russo, too.

Kadayi

Banned
Tricky. I like the spectacle of a film, but I appreciate the long-form nature of a good TV series as well. I guess I'd probably bat for the latter when push comes to shove, but at the same time when they pack me into the longship and set me off, I'm taking my Film Blu-Rays with me to GAF Valhalla. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Movies, though I also enjoy TV shows.
I just prefer shorter standalone experiences that force the creators to use the time efficiently to evoke whatever they wish to evoke to the audience. I also love going to the theatre.

EDIT: The last English shows I followed and enjoyed were Mad Men and Breaking Bad, both of which were top tier, better than your average movie. House of Cards lost me after the first 2 seasons, but I feel like rewatching it to completion now given the current political climate and those Xmas videos Spacey keeps on posting now. Lol

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
tv easily. story goes into way more detail and you can either binge it or take it slow. my attention span sucks so i struggle to sit and watch a movie for 2 hours. if it's split up into 20, 30, 45, 50, 60 minute episodes that's better.

BlueAlpaca

Movies, but if they get TV shows right they could be better. So far it hasn't happened, Game of Thrones and Lost could have been something special but they messed it up, yet I'm hopeful somebody might get it right in the future.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
tv easily. story goes into way more detail and you can either binge it or take it slow. my attention span sucks so i struggle to sit and watch a movie for 2 hours. if it's split up into 20, 30, 45, 50, 60 minute episodes that's better.
I look at it differently, for some reason. A one hour episode of TV show seems like too much, but watching a full movie does not. Maybe it's because I know there is much more episodes to get through afterwards.

Back when TV shows were good in the 70's to early 90's, assuming you had the right channels, the best shows had episodes between 45 minutes to future length movie (120 minutes or more) in run time. A-team and Knight Rider being examples of some shows that did this. In that case the answer would clearly be TV shows.

Now? They are both pretty bad, I'd maybe give a slight edge to movies but Internet video is better than both currently.

Top Bottom