• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer Story driven games, or Mechanic driven games, why?

Story or Mechanic

• Story Driven

• Mechanic Driven

• Neither

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banned
Mechanics all the way.
because I'm playing a video game and I'm not watching a fucking movie.

Story driven game, in the indy space especially, is often also just a synonym for "we don't actually know how to make a game, we don't have a single good game mechanic idea, but we know the market is lucrative"

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

People who only play for stories are so odd, I mean there are other places to consume stories why not try that?
Because it's interactive ?

Confused Little Girl GIF

People don't understanding that are so weird.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

I only consider Visual Novels and Point and Click games as Story Driven

So I'm going with Mechanics driven which is everything else.

PillsOff

Banned
Look at sales of something like Assassing Creed franchise or the praise Guardians of the Galaxy got

People mostly prefer the shittiest fucking story wrapped in the most shallow of mechanics.

Guilty_AI

Both, but i veer towards mechanically driven ones for the simple fact truly good story driven games are hard to come by, at least one that is up to the standards of a good book or movie.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good swift gameplay is key.

Anything to do with story, mandatory cut scenes and endless dialogue and chitter chatter in your ear forget it.

Even in RPGs, I'll mash the button to speed up plotlines and NPCs gabbing. I know I need to kill a boss. I'm just here to buy or sell gear at a general store. I dont need screens of text or Bill the Blacksmith gabbing about rivers or his grinding wheel is falling apart. I'll only take my time to pick the right choice if it's a dialogue dependent game like Mass Effect.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In Fallout and ES games, they have books and terminals/audio logs which are purely for story and atmosphere.

Have any of you actually read or listened to them? Some Skyrim books are even multibook volume sets.

I dont know about you guys, but I only care if it'll be a +1 perk boosting pick up. If not, I leave it on the ground.

Last edited:
People who only play for stories are so odd, I mean there are other places to consume stories why not try that?
In addition, most other methods of delivering a story deliver it better, too. Vidya with an extremely good story is a rarity, and you can generally find a novel or movie that does some similar story beat better.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I like it when there is an engaging story that gives context to the gameplay but it shouldn't overwhelm it or feel too disconnected from it. For example, if I approach a teary-eyed NPC who tells me that evil mutants have kidnapped their family and hunkered down in a ruined building 2 miles away, that's enough context for me to run off and start murdering the lot of 'em.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate a well-written and tear-jerking or funny story. Just don't fucking send me off to do some mundane shit that doesn't require any brain power or manual skills, or make me watch a 2-hour long cutscene where the author cums dialogue on my face.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ideally both.

But if I have to choose, a game with strong mechanics is great even when everything else sucks balls.

But a game with a good story is still crappy if playing it is the shits.

I mean, gameplay was always king. It’s what made this hobby what it is. Stories aren’t needed for a game to be a classic.

Last edited:
Hmmm I think gaf is full of shit on this.

To remove story entirely your basically left with sports, racing games, multiplayer etc. They never do well in game of year awards here.

Even in a heavy mechanic focused games like souls story is still a huge part of it.

What would a souls game be with zero world, building, lore, npcs, cutscenes etc. I imagine it would be a more hollow experience.

In fact I know this because thats what the chalice dungeons felt like in bloodborne and even they had some story.

Edit: I do think sacrifices has to be made on both side if both were to implemented in the same game. My option for both also extend to "prefer both type of games as separate games"

I disagree entirely.

I don't think sacrifices have to be made at all.

It's this idea that they do that limits game creators.

Games can and have done both well, and the very best of the medium achieve this ambition wonderfully. It's the very reason Rockstar games like GTA and RDR are so celebrated.

More game devs need to realize that you don't need to reign in your ambition on story or gameplay. You can develop deep systemic design elements and mechanics that add depth and richness to the gameplay and interactivity, while also having a compelling story, plot, and character development (it's only the story pacing that is compromised but even then only to an extent).

mrabott

I prefer story-driven games.
However, the gameplay should be interesting and the challenge solid.
For my personality type I find that once the story is over I lose interest in the game.

Robbinhood

Banned
As I get older, playing a game with just one of those elements feels incomplete and boring.

Thats like asking, do you just want to eat dessert or a piece of chicken breast with no sides or seasoning.

Give me a plate of Steak with a side of mashed potatoes and salad.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
They never do well in game of year awards here
Minecraft.

Also, journos are paid to promote anything that caters to their woke agenda. And that agenda is propagated through story and characters.
You can't be woke with Tetris or Chess.

In the case of Souls games, they have a story, but they never emphasize the story more than the gameplay.
Which is why even people that don't care about the story can still enjoy Souls games.

Heck, even Kojima with his long ass cutscenes still allowed people to skip them in his games.

Drizzlehell

Banned

To remove story entirely your basically left with sports, racing games, multiplayer etc. They never do well in game of year awards here.

Even in a heavy mechanic focused games like souls story is still a huge part of it.

What would a souls game be with zero world, building, lore, npcs, cutscenes etc. I imagine it would be a more hollow experience.

In fact I know this because thats what the chalice dungeons felt like in bloodborne and even they had some story.

out-of-line-anthony-mackie.gif

Last edited:

Banned

when I first played Dark Souls I literally never read anything, didn't really listen to what characters have to say, didn't read any lore online, yet loved the game. I even skipped the intro cutscene.

I didn't watch a single MGS cutscene until I was like 18, and played the first 2 games a shitload of times before that.

lore and world building also isn't the same as story.
and especially not the same as story driven.

"story driven" games is just a synonym for bad gamedesign at this point. as many devs have zero interesting gameplay concepts, don't know how to properly design levels, and just lean on flashy motion capture cutscenes, slow walking bullshit and constant talking to pat out the gamedesign wasteland they created.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Some games need a story to make it interesting for me. Watch Dogs Legion comes to mind with its lack of protagonist which really killed what little story there was in that game and made the missions entirely empty. The first two Watch Dogs games didn't have great stories, but there was enough for me to want to keep playing. Legions.....I just lost interest entirely even though the gameplay mechanic was the same.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gameplay is the king to me.

I can play a game with a terrible story that has a fun gameplay.

I cannot play a game with a great story that is unfun to play.

The story can be skipped, the gameplay cannot.

If the game ain't fun to play, why bother? If I care about the story, I just end up just reading about it or watching it on youtube.

For example,: The Last of Us is an amazing game because the story is cool and the combat is fun, if the gameplay was unfun, I would rather read or watch than play just because of the story. I rather not spend my time doing something that I dislike.

Last edited:
I don't mind a good cutscene here and there but things have gone way overboard the last 5 or 6 years. To the point now where in many games (I'm thinking of Sony games in particular) the dialogue just never stops, someone is always talking, if not to others than to themselves. It's really soured me on story-based games in general to the point where in the last half-decade my tastes have almost completely changed to favour mechanics-based games.

AndrewRyan

The problem is it usually feels like they start with a story then slice it into pieces and paste in-between gameplay. That's fine and I enjoy it but it pales in comparison to books and movies.

AI2ZIa4.jpg

The best integration of the two for me might be Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3. Also like the movie blended games like Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain. Story telling in gaming has the most room for improvement but someday expect them to be better than movies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Story based games then again the best story type games are also wrapped around great gameplay mechanics, Uncharted, TLOU etc etc, pure gameplay mechanics are more your Nintendo Jap type games that just do not interest me

Fbh

Both? I never get why some people want every game to be the same.

Some games I really enjoy for their world, stories and characters, like The Witcher 3, The Mass Effect Trilogy or 13 Sentinels.
Others I primarily like for their mechanics and gameplay like Bayonetta, The Outer Wilds, Sekiro, the souls games, etc
Others I think strike a good balance between the two like God of War 2018, Nier Automata, Chained Echoes, Xenoblade 2, etc.

Braag

I would prefer it to be both. But if the story and writing of a game are top notch, I can overlook less than stellar gameplay and mechanics.
A good example would be Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines which has horrible gameplay mechanics but I've still finished it several times cause the story is so entertaining.
So overall I'd say I enjoy a good story driven game more, but would prefer the game to have enjoyable gameplay mechanics too.

People who say games have poor stories are playing the wrong games.
Hell, I'd say we are starting to see more enjoyable stories in games lately than what movies are offering.

badblue

There is an entire genre of games in which playing for the story is mostly the point of the game.

exactly , you want a good story read a book or watch a movie , games need gameplay not as many cutscenes as posible

Are cutscenes the only place for story to take place in a game?

Filben

Ideally, both. Mechanics only carry a game so far. And in most games all mechanics are explored after some hours. What's then keeping me is story and characters.

gameplay
not sure i accurately remember the plot from any game.

zelda? something about a triforce for some reason or something.
god of war? revenge on the gods or something, who cares.
TLOU? immunity girl going to get analyzed and an ex-dad being like "im a dad again" or something.
MGS? shadow moses and big boss probably
mass effect? someone wants to blow you up, in space.
onimusha? demons are bad.
morrowind? you arrived on a boat, and uh off you goooo.
dark souls? discover youre the chosen one for now or something.
front mission? nations dont like each other, again.
super smash bros? children playing with action figures?

story can help things... contribute to world building, provide context for characters, lead the game in a certain direction, introduce an end-goal... but video games stories as a whole tend to suck hard. they can be entertaining, and make the world feel more engrossing... but the stories themselves are not very good.

if you're really into stories, other mediums do a much better job.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Most stories in movies and books suck hard too. That complaint is completely clueless, get a grip on reality.

Also story =/= plot

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gameplay/mechanics over all. Because if the gameplay isn't fun, then my desire to play it isn't there. Even if it has a great story. If a game has a bad story, but the gameplay rules, I'll still play it.

So I say mechanics are more important, but hey, if story AND mechanics are great, that's always a plus of course.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I disagree entirely.

I don't think sacrifices have to be made at all.

It's this idea that they do that limits game creators.

Games can and have done both well, and the very best of the medium achieve this ambition wonderfully. It's the very reason Rockstar games like GTA and RDR are so celebrated.

More game devs need to realize that you don't need to reign in your ambition on story or gameplay. You can develop deep systemic design elements and mechanics that add depth and richness to the gameplay and interactivity, while also having a compelling story, plot, and character development (it's only the story pacing that is compromised but even then only to an extent).
This had been debated to death in game dev community, I will not write a whole essay here, you could check some information yourself. The TLDR here is, lore does not equal to storytelling, a game could have rich lore such as Souls game, but they do not equal to storytelling like most linear story driven game does, they had different aesthetic to them. (Its not that lore is any less important, its just that they are different)

Games such as RDR2 that had both good storytelling and mechanic however was constantly under criticism by many that its story element and gameplay element felt isolated to each other. The story element work under different rule than its mechanic part. Meaning its story element was competing against its mechanic element (especially its open world exploration part of the mechanic), instead of complement each other. A better work around would be games like Elden Ring and Botw, however although their game design was more unison between the two, it also had to compromise on the storytelling part, they had to keep it lore centric instead of forced narrative.

That doesn't mean I don't like RDR2, it was one of my favorite game, and I totally understood they did their absolutely best to make both element work, this game deserve every praise it gets.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Most of the franchises that have gained or maintained relevance are the ones with quality in at least one of the components of story; characters, plot, or world building. We're stretching back to the 90s for that, and up until the 2000s and arguably a lot layer than that, most gameplay had pretty mediocre game mechanics and design. So that tells me that a good story goes a long way.

These days, my standards are pretty high for both. It's best when the mechanics are integrated with the narrative and vice versa; even if just on a thematic level.

SeraphJan

I only consider Visual Novels and Point and Click games as Story Driven

So I'm going with Mechanics driven which is everything else.
Story driven means mechanic serves as a complement to its storytelling, meaning the storytelling could interfere with its mechanic as much as it need to as long as it serves story purpose. Good examples are Life is Strange, Telltales franchise, Uncharted franchise, Last of Us etc. Even certain type of JRPG might qualify in this department (depends on the game)

Mechanic driven means that story serves as a complement to its mechanic, meaning the story should never get in the way of its mechanic even if it meant the story had to take a minimalistic approach. Good examples are Mario franchise, Zelda franchise, Souls franchise.

Of course we have pure storytelling game with little to none mechanic such as visual novel, on the other hand we also have the opposite which had almost no story such as Minecraft and Terraria

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
It has to be both. Honestly I usually and mot into story. But I just played Xenoblade DE and towards the end I switched that shit to casual as I'd been playing the same combat (which honestly was still good0 for 90 hours and just wanted to see where the story went. It was a crazy slow burner at the beginning but that third act was nuts.

I like when they are married together. So like A souls or Botw.

samoilaaa

There is an entire genre of games in which playing for the story is mostly the point of the game.

Are cutscenes the only place for story to take place in a game?
no , environmental storytelling can be used but most story driven games these days use cutscenes because most gamers dont have the patience to look around and interpret what is in front of them , for the average gamer its easier to asimilate a cutscene

if you have time watch this video

look at bloodborne for example , the story is much more amazing and complex than the ones from the last of us or god of war but its hard for the players to find out what it is about , the naughty dog games have amazing emotional cutscenes so ofc everyone appreciate it more , because its easier to asimilate

Last edited:
Totally depends on the game and my mood. Sometimes I play Point & Click Adventure games, sometimes I play Tetris for two hours straight.

For me, a game doesn't need a good story, or any story at all really, to be great. At the same time, a game with an actually engaging story doesn't need exciting gameplay either, just depends what it's going for. Everything has its place I think.

Minecraft.

Also, journos are paid to promote anything that caters to their woke agenda. And that agenda is propagated through story and characters.
You can't be woke with Tetris or Chess.

In the case of Souls games, they have a story, but they never emphasize the story more than the gameplay.
Which is why even people that don't care about the story can still enjoy Souls games.

Heck, even Kojima with his long ass cutscenes still allowed people to skip them in his games.
Did Minecraft win game of year here? I can't remember?

Anyway when I mean story I don't mean cutscenes or even dialogue. I mean everything that gives context to why your doin something in a game. This can be so many things

For Souls the environmental storytelling and art style is huge and almost impossile to ignore. It's the thing that separates Souls games them from Souls likes.

To cut out story entirely from a Souls game would mean cutting out the crazy architecture, the crazy enemy design even the level design.

No idea why your bringing up game journos I was talking about GAF game of the year.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Mechanics driven.

Games are unique when compared to movies, books, etc, in that you can control what happens to an insane degree. Mechanics that take advantage of this unique aspect of videogames are the ones that draw me in. Games that are basically interactive movies put me to sleep or make me wonder why I'm not just watching a great movie instead of slogging through what is typically garbage pacing/writing when compared to movies.

Top Bottom