• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prepare for a video game release???? [MY BODY IS READY, LIKE TOTALLY READY]

Do you have preparation rituals for a game release

• yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • no

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So there a game that you just can't wait for it to be released. You're hyped, excited and counting the days till release.
What do you do to prepare and do you prepare for some games?

I'll go first. I don't do that offten but there are specific releases that I need to prepare myself for. I'm now fully prepared for Doom Eternal.
So Doom Eternal launches on 20th of March 2020. I have my 15 days off work days which I can use when I want. I've arranged for my off days to start on the 18th of March, I've preordered the game (which is something I rarely do) and I am now fully prepared to play this masterpiece.

How bout you? Do you have any preparation rituals?

Ryu Kaiba

If you say no, you're doing it wrong.
Gotta set the stage so you're properly immersed.

The best time to start a game is at night. Clear your schedule, close the shades, lock the doors, have some coffee or even some wine if you prefer.
Put the phone in Do Not Disturb mode and get cozy.

Last edited:

Aidah

Not really a ritual. If it's something I'm really excited about (which is rare), I'd pre-purchase and pre-load. Before playing, I'd eat and smoke a joint. My gaming room is always ready in terms of ambience.

I'll tell you what though, your post made me a bit more understanding of some people getting upset when a game gets delayed.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Depends if I really want that game, Xenoblade Chronicles was the last I remember buying something on day one. Doom Eternal and the FF7 remake are games that come to mind when I think of games I really want.

Bartski

Gold Member
Book time off work, 4-5 days of food supplies (protein bars, peanuts, milkas and redbull), inform family and friends I'll be "away and difficult to get in touch with for couple of days".
Start at midnight on release and play non stop with sleep breaks until completing the campaign. Doom Eternal is next, then RE3R and TLOU2.

molasar

Banned
Depends on a game.

Usually it is one of these methods.

giphy.gif

source.gif

tumblr_oy0yw8A1RF1wstc5to1_1280.gif

MiguelItUp

I typically just take the day off when the game launches. Play as soon as I can and as long as I can.

This is ONLY for the REAL big ones, haha. Death Stranding was my last, DOOM Eternal will be my next one. ❤️

I bought a whole new console in preparation for god of war with nothing to play on it for a couple of weeks.

Little did I know at the time there were some great games of play eventually but at the time it was only god of war for me.

Not anymore, but i used to love preordering games and sometimes replaying their respective prequels in preparation. Funnily enough i just recompleted shenmue 2 in preparation for shenmue 3, but the younger me would have done this before shenmue 3’s launch last year. Just far too many great games get released to realistically preorder and ‘prepare’ for them.

Clarissa

Banned
I'm a massive fan of fighting games and before the launch of a new game that I really love e.g Tekken, street fighter, Soulcalibur, I shower, cut my nails, give my hori joystick a wipe.

10 minutes before the game launches, I'll sit in front of the TV, look at the countdown and just let anticipation build.

I'll do the same for Final Fantasy 7 remake and Last of us 2.

RealGassy

Banned
Very, very few games deserve a "my body is ready" kind of preparation.
Moreover since it's that rare already, it's almost impossible to predict beforehand if a game is worthy, so that basically never happens.

The kind of preparation i'm talking about - setting aside time, phone in airplane mode, meditation & mental preparation, getting snacks, candles, lube, etc.

Caffeine

recently i havent even been there day 1 for game releases and have been picking a lot up later on i been falling into this trap where if you buy it day 1 the game was probably not even qa tested and you will just crash and burn or run into various bugs for no reason.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not really anymore but when i was a kid when i got a new game i was super stoked about i would go home and clean my room super good and i might even knock out some homework i was slacking on. I didnt want anything to interrupt my focus

EDMIX

How bout you? Do you have any preparation rituals?

Depends on the game. Sometimes I play the previous entry if its a sequel or I'd watch films that are in the same genre as the game. When Red Dead 2 was coming out I spent some weeks watching thru some western classics. For A Few Dollars More, The Searchers, High Noon etc. Did the same thing with Fallen Order, watched some Star Wars Films.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can’t take as many PTO days for games as I use to. I’d always take the day off. When I worked in retail and food even the managers caught on. They’d look at the calendar and say “so, what game came out?”. I would typically head to GameStop around 11, go to the grocery store for food, or just head home and play until 2 or 3 in the morning. I use to go to all the midnight launches, but they aren’t really on my radar anymore. I bought God of War twice. One from GameStop and one digitally. We got our copies at 9 PM.

Digital titles really helped me stay at home more. I do have a ritual about pre-loading. Preload ASAP and make sure controllers are charged. I took PTO off for Red Dead Redemption, DMC5, KH3, and God of War. What I did was make sure everything was good to go the following night. I can’t really do that again, at least for a while.

Sometimes I’ll turn it on as soon as it unlocks just so I can move around in the world. If I’m super excited about the game then it’s all about just being in the world. I’d always plan ahead. Make sure the game is patched or if there’s a theme or avatars then I’d apply them for a while.

I typically apply the theme of a game I really enjoyed and will replay. Right now I have the RE3R theme and I’m really enjoying that. I like to have flair when I can show it off.

Not really a ritual. If it's something I'm really excited about (which is rare), I'd pre-purchase and pre-load. Before playing, I'd eat and smoke a joint. My gaming room is always ready in terms of ambience.

I'll tell you what though, your post made me a bit more understanding of some people getting upset when a game gets delayed.
I'd be pretty pissed if it gets delayed again. I've already booked my days off and it's something that I can't easily change.

Last edited:

dalekjay

I don’t do it, primarily because I don’t buy games day 1 unless it’s a street fighter or KOF, and any other I buy after it gets 50% discount minimum, most of the time if far beyond the hype of release date.

But cyberpunk will be my exception to the rule.

Top Bottom