• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you remember when you first realized that you will die?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’ve been contemplating death since I was about 10. I still remember one specific day laying on the couch thinking about it. It was right around when Hocus Pocus came out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i remember working it out at a friend's house when i was a kid. my parents showed us Beetlejuice at a young age, and you see death in cartoons and tv shows before you can even speak. nobody really needs to tell you what death it, it's a fact of life. it reveals itself.

im a morbid person and depression features heavily in my family, so i feel like i am more aware of the fragility of life than many people. given the flippant amount of "Wish I was dead" people throw around these days, I feel that way more than ever tbh.

Last edited:
i don't remember the very first time because i've drowned it out so much with so many more subsequent thoughts of mortality

i currently believe there is a cosmic reservoir for every type of being on earth, including humans

and that dying serves a purpose, and that purpose is to simply refresh

ideally nature wants to refresh everything

so you, as you are today, existed 500 years ago, but you got refreshed several times and here you are again now

"standing on the shoulders of giants", more like standing on our own shoulders

Last edited:
Whenever I think about the emptyness of non longer existing I tend dift off and think about the larger picture of Earth no longer existing. No trace of me or anyone else ever existed. I tend to have to take to deep breathes to get me back.

pramod

Banned
I actually do remember it very distinctly. I was around 7 or 8 and I was reading some thing about the life of stars and that our own sun will eventually swallow the earth. Thats when som gears in my kiddie brain clicked into place and I realized what death is. I remember totally freaking out and crying and telling my mom I never want to die. She just laughed. I also had a hard time sleeping for the next few days. I guess I was a wimpy kid.

n0razi

Yup... I was 22 years old on a CBR F4i 600cc sportbike taking a turn at around 40 mph and hit an oil patch, I tried to recover and when the rear wheel grabbed traction, I immediately high-sided (basically the bike kicks you off like riding a mad bull)... I distinctly remember thinking to myself "Yup I'm dead!" while flying through the air. Somehow landed on grass instead of pavement and survived with some wrist sprains and road rash.

EDIT: this is what a high-side looks like
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Yeah, I remember visiting a grave the very first time back when I was 7 or 8, and having my now passed away father trying to explain it. Safe to say it had me thinking and yes it did disturb me at that age, I still think about it on occasion.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
One time I almost drowned in the rapids of the Sacramento River after falling off a boat. While bouncing between rocks, I thought that was the end. Since then, I have tried to live a better life and enjoy whatever time I have left.

Death is imminent. Therefore I just try to enjoy my time alive. Make decisions that will reward me in the long term. I am confident that consciousness is only a defense mechanism developed after billions of years worth of random mutations. Death must “feel” like a long sleep from which you never wake up. What worries me is not taking advantage of every moment I am given.

I spent 8 minutes writing this post while taking a shit. No time wasted.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I can’t remember when for me although fairly recently our cat died and there was this moment while the cat was on its last legs my son who is only little totally realised the cat was going to die and it was heartbreaking to see.

Sometimes I wake up all confused and ask myself.. What's after death? I think about it for a few minutes while having an existence crisis. I can't get over the fact that we are all heading to the same direction. What scares me the most when thinking about death, my loved ones.

MetalAlien

Banned
Laying in bed at 7 or 8 I used to see or maybe feel something that was like when you point a camera at the TV showing the picture. It was like a fractal going off for eternity. Like the ending of the movie 2001. Couldn't get to sleep because of it. I used to think that must be what it's like when you die... becoming one with eternity. I learned that if I turn a fan on me and focus on the white noise instead I could get to sleep. Been doing that ever since.

MWR5g0H.jpg

I honestly think about my parents passing away more so than myself. I don’t really fear my own death and can’t recall the first time I realized one day I was going to die but after seeing my parents with my daughter and realizing just how much of her life they’re going to miss it makes me think about mortality that much more.

Dark Star

A psychedelic experience once grounded my perception of life, death and God. It was an understanding that the human constructs of "time", "death" and "God" do not exist in the grand scheme of things. It was like an understanding that every moment of life is the same moment compounded by mental experience and physical growth. It was like shedding a part of me that I didn't need anymore. I felt enlightened, like I was more connected to everything and everyone than ever before. It was like an opportunity to stare into the metaphorical abyss that is beyond human comprehension.

Our human cultures reinforce ideas like "Running out of time", "Dying alone", "Heaven" and "Hell". These ideas make people live in fear. Why have faith in things you can't prove? Why succumb to fear when there may be more to our existence? What if death in this universe means transitioning into a life in another universe? Perhaps death as an earthly being is an escape from a low vibration. Perhaps there is life after death, thriving in a higher dimension, or even reincarnating as another being (if you believe in "karma" and "higher powers")

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i like what immortal technique said about this matter

'they say death brings you to a better place but i doubt it'

appaws

Banned
Growing up Catholic you think about it a lot. And hear about it a lot. (Although I am guessing that has been toned down a lot since I was a kid.)

That little prayer we all said before we went to bed ended with the line “if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

prag16

Banned
Whenever I think about the emptyness of non longer existing I tend dift off and think about the larger picture of Earth no longer existing. No trace of me or anyone else ever existed. I tend to have to take to deep breathes to get me back.
This is almost exactly how it is for me. For as long as I can remember my mortality has been a thought way in the back of my mind. And as you say anytime it ever comes closer to the forefront, I kind of just remember how tiny and insignificant myself and all that I care about are in the grand scheme of the, not just the planet, but the universe. But that doesn't mean none of it matters. It still matters to me. But of coures, in the long run we're all dead. Every single one of us. So it would be an irrational thing to really dwell on.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you are at least 45 or have health issues you haven’t truly stared down your mortality.
This is a baka statement. In truth younger people die the most. As in most people don't even make it to age 30.

farmerboy

i don't remember the very first time because i've drowned it out so much with so many more subsequent thoughts of mortality

i currently believe there is a cosmic reservoir for every type of being on earth, including humans

and that dying serves a purpose, and that purpose is to simply refresh

ideally nature wants to refresh everything

so you, as you are today, existed 500 years ago, but you got refreshed several times and here you are again now

"standing on the shoulders of giants", more like standing on our own shoulders

Surprisingly profound for someone who also wrote this;

i just want to make her guts look like a bowl of cereal

😉👍

farmerboy

A few years back Dad found out he had bladder cancer. He went in for an operation and they stitched him right back up. While he quickly deteriorated over the next few months, mom died. Dad passed away a few months later. It definitely made me think.

Sorry mate, that is rough. Similar times in my life have certainly heightened my empathy for others.

Death is a really, really hard thing to process. It's terrifying to come to the realisation that ALL things will end, one day.

Fuck this, I'm having a beer😔

GamingKaiju

I have MS and it first starting appearing at the age of 24 I was in Hospital with stroke like symptoms, I laid there on the hospital bed hardly able to stand, slurring my heads and my partner having to wipe my mouth when I drank/eat really made me think about my life.

It made me realise that I wasn't looking after my body and that disease/illness can creep up at any age. I had way to much fast food, over weight, smoked cigs and weed, drank and worked all the time as I was under constant finical stress. I vowed to start looking after my body, eating healthier cut back on the weed and drink and I recently stopped smoking took me another 10 years to do it but late than never. I lost most of my weight with exercising and feel a lot better now.

I recently had another health scare and it got me thinking again because I had slacked off with my renewed sense of life.

I don't worry about my death it's my loved ones I fear for and hope they manage in life without me but as everything in life everything has a expiration date, the earth, the sun everyone and thing on the planet will end.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
All this talk about the Sun swallowing the Earth makes me more uneasy than my death itself.

All the religions on Earth do not make sense when you factor this. (I am not religious, but still, it makes me confused)

I don't fear death at all, and I don't think there's anything after it. I'm fine with it.

Whitecrow

Banned
Yeah, when I started to have sudden heart palpitations. Scared the shit out of me, and lot of nights I thought 'OK I wont make it to tomorrow".

lock2k

Banned
Last year I had Costochondritis.

It is an inflammation in the chest area. I had severe pains and it hurt when I tried to breathe.

It scared the shit out of me because I thought I was having a heart attack. I rushed to the hospital and they examined me (heart, blood, everything) - I was a 100% healthy. The origin of the inflammation? Unknown. I treated it and it was gone. But that scared the shit out of me, mainly because of my daughter (she is 5).

-Minsc-

Unless you are at least 45 or have health issues you haven’t truly stared down your mortality.
I don't remember when I became aware I'll eventually die. While I can say I'll die some day, I can not say I understand the implications of it.

Nymphae

Banned
No what a ridiculous question lol. Though I do remember one time in high school, me and a group of friends were sitting around playing games and getting high, and I was describing the potential afterlife of an Atheist to a friend who had, apparently, never seriously considered an alternative to an afterlife. He was dumbfounded at the new concept of nothingness, and the profound idea coupled with the bud made him green out and lose his lunch.

Fret Runner

is it selfish to hope that I die with the rest of you via a comet impact, nuclear war or Azathoth farting?
I would take comfort in knowing that none of you fuckers get to carrying on either.
GAF meet up in hell?

Tesseract

Banned
is it selfish to hope that I die with the rest of you via a comet impact, nuclear war or Azathoth farting?
I would take comfort in knowing that none of you fuckers get to carrying on either.
GAF meet up in hell?

we're all gonna die, there's no need to be upset

it's probably gonna be really painful by the way for most people, if that gives you any comfort

Mondai

I’ve already died once (though I was a baby so does that count?) I realized when I was little that we all die someday , some days I accept it, some days I get depressed thinking about it :)

WindomURL

I first saw it when I was four and I found my childhood dog dead by our garage. Knew even then that the rule applied to me, too.

But the knowledge of death comes easy. Every day is a series of small deaths, and small births. Someone enters your office, then leaves. You wake up in the morning, and then retire at night. The great and irrevocable binary, where no two moments are the same, all framed by our patterns and habits. Each moment dies, adding to the mulch from which all subsequent moments spring.

There can be great power and encouragement where one seizes on that knowledge, turning it into wisdom. That's the hard part because anyone in any state of comfort is a procrastinator when it comes to their own death. Not today, dammit. Not tomorrow, either. I've got plans after all, but right now I just want to take a nap. I like to picture truly living each and every day as though it was the last, and doing it in full mindfulness, without any panic or desperation. It would be the most powerful performance enhancing drug you could get.

Top Bottom