• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still consider the Halo Master Chief Collection to be a scam?

E92 M3

Personally, it was the biggest waste of $60 on a game ever and 343 completely lied to our faces. It was a piece of broken crap and still is. I am still wondering how half the studio wasn't gutted for completely deceiving the audience into buying that broken game.

Levito

Banned
I played it in late 2015 after all the patches. Well the campaigns for Halo 2, Halo 3, and ODST anyways. Was pretty satisfied with it TBH, but I had no interest in revisting the multiplayers for all the games.

heklu

Neo Member
Was it that bad? I never played it, but the gameplay videos and trailers looked good.
Well, I never played any Halo game.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It was never a scam. It had broken matchmaking for a long time, though.

Was it that bad? I never played it, but the gameplay videos and trailers looked good.
Well, I never played any Halo game.

It was DriveClub bad. Seriously. Matchmaking was flat-out broken for a long time.

Hopefully MS releases this on PC and uses the opportunity to make a Scorpio patch along with fixing some bugs and adding Halo Reach to the collection.

Lothars

It was never a scam but to me it's evident on 343 as a developer how they dropped the ball with the halo series.

Only MM was shameful. Halo 3 was underwhelming since it received the least attention, but the campaign content was solid. Still would have preferred it on PC.

Banned
I never considered it a scam. I bought it for the campaigns and got hours of entertainment from them replaying them at higher framerates and graphical fidelity while earning achievements again.

Sulik2

343 didn't make the Master Chief collection. It was primarily Certain Affinity. Its hilarious people still blame 343 for it.

Looking at what they tried to do, in the timeframe they were given we ended up with what we got. It is allot better from launch day, but the game deserves a relaunch and i still have faith that this game is going to get one as a Xbox Playanywhere title and PC Launch.

Its a fucking scam, any one who says otherwise is a 343 shill
They promised a game that worked and that is a faithful representation of the previous Halos

They KNOWINGLY released a shitty ass game

We still never got Frankies explanation

Magwik

Banned
The reviews were held in a closed off environment to give the press a false impression that the games worked. So yes I still consider it a scam.

Jawmuncher

Nah. Even with the MP problems, the collection and increase in performance of the SP campaigns are worth it alone.

The only thing I think was a "scam" was that we didn't get Reach as part of the collection. Despite it actually having master chief unlike ODST

Iorv3th

It didn't work online. It was pretty bad, yeah.

This. It's a scam in that it was advertised as being a way to play the old Halo games online with playlists.

Shit didn't work a single time for me. Just stayed searching forever.

343 didn't make the Master Chief collection. It was primarily Certain Affinity. Its hilarious people still blame 343 for it.

343 name on the box and they were the ones doing the publicity for it at E3 and in previews.

Not a scam, just a project that they didn't manage the scope of as well as they should have.

It's possibly emblematic of the state of the Xbox division at that time - no clear focus.

Good lord it was no scam,bit of a mess yes,but no scam

"a bit of a mess" is really doing it an injustice. It was a disaster. It took almost a year and a half to get everything working (it was irredeemably broken at launch and for the following 4-5 months, like unplayable) and severely damaged the series reputation. I would even go as far to say it played a role in Halo 5 selling about half as many copies as Halo 4.

spootime

If you bought this game for the multiplayer, you got scammed. Full stop. What else would you call getting sold a product that the creators know is broken?

E92 M3

I never considered it a scam. I bought it for the campaigns and got hours of entertainment from them replaying them at higher framerates and graphical fidelity while earning achievements again.

I bought if for MP. Does that not count?

Was 343's name on the box? Yes? So, they take full responsibility for failing to make this a successful project.

Support never gave you a refund? They've always been good about refunding broken games for me.

No, it was a mess.

I don't know how some of y'all are ok with 343 releasing a broken game and calling it a scam.

Lothars

They deserve all the blame, 343 is responsible for Halo, so guess what they get the blame. They also get the blame for how meh Halo 5 is to.

I mean, you're getting 4 Halo campaigns in one package. It's online features are unreliable which diminishes the value of the product, but it is still functional. Unfortunately, there are other titles out there with equally unreliable online systems that are sold on the market. Is it right? Frig no. But until the market stands up to these practices, we will (unfortunately) continue to see titles with unreliable systems released from time to time, until they receive punishment to discourage these kind of actions.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I truly wonder why 343 is associated with this product.

Such a mystery.

8V4xOla.jpg

watership

they put their name on the game though?

This is a problem with 343 Industries, there are a lot of things the company does. They make books, comics and lots of mixed media products, and they also make games. 343's name is all over Halo Wars 2, but they didn't develop that game. MCC was developed by many 3rd party developers, a lot of them were silent developers, who we didn't know about until many months later.

iMax

Well, it was made by a whole bunch of developers. If I remember correctly...

Certain Affinity: Halo 2 Anniversary, Multiplayer
Ruffian Games: Halo 4
Saber Interactive: Halo Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3
Blur Studio: Halo 2 Anniversary cutscenes
United Front Games: Unified UI

343 pulled it all together and handled the backend. They are ultimately responsible.

Well, it was made by a whole bunch of developers. If I remember correctly...

Certain Affinity: Halo 2 Anniversary, Multiplayer
Ruffian Games: Halo 4
Saber Interactive: Halo Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3
Blur Studio: Halo 2 Anniversary cutscenes
United Front Games: Unified UI

343 pulled it all together and handled the backend. They are ultimately responsible.

This

Nah. Even with the MP problems, the collection and increase in performance of the SP campaigns are worth it alone.

The only thing I think was a "scam" was that we didn't get Reach as part of the collection. Despite it actually having master chief unlike ODST
I'm happy Reach was not in the collection.

Hopefully they will make a Halo Reach Anniversary some day on Scorpio completely separate from MCC.

Edit: also I don't think it was a complete scam, they probably didn't realize how completely broken the MP matchmaking was. A massive demonstration of incompetence? Sure.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Considering it took months to get online multiplayer in a functional state and even then, it still doesn't work properly... I'd call it shameful at best.

Still legit impressed how effectively 343 ran that franchise into the ground.

No idea. I don't play multiplayer, but the campaigns are all as fun as before. Is it supposed to be a multiplayer only gripe? Because I'm still getting mileage out of the game. One of the best things I've bought for the Xbox One.

MilkyJoe

I've played half of Halo 1 and some of 4 on it, what's the broken bit?

If it's multiplayer I have not tried.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Certain Affinity only made the remastered H2A maps and had literally nothing to do with the faulty networking/UI layer. Those were made externally, but not by CA and regardless it was 100% our responsibility. The issues were caused by a cascading combination of problems including faulty assumptions about code behaviors in retail rather than test environments, bad "ticket" tracking information and a number of other even more baroque issues. And yes I still owe people a technical explanation and I will provide the best one I'm able/permitted to at some point. That point, for a number of reasons beyond my control, is not now.

Top Bottom