• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still say "retard" or "retarded" in conversation?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
No, I do not. It is mean. We are better then this.
Beijing_bouddhist_monk_2009_IMG_1486.JPG

appaws

Banned
I use it. I don’t care. Retarded people don’t get mad at the word. It’s non- retards getting offended on their behalf.

I say gay and fag a lot as well. I don’t care. Weirdly though, I never refer to actual homosexuals that way, just straight guys who are acting unmanly in some way.

I say nigger, but only singing along with Biggie and Tupac. And Yoko’s “Woman is the nigger of the world.”

C4lukin2

Banned
Dude I agree with some of that. But mostly disagree with all of that.

You went dark with it all. And you came off as mean spirited while doing so..,

C4lukin2

Banned
I use it. I don’t care. Retarded people don’t get mad at the word. It’s non- retards getting offended on their behalf.

I say gay and fag a lot as well. I don’t care. Weirdly though, I never refer to actual homosexuals that way, just straight guys who are acting unmanly in some way.

I say nigger, but only singing along with Biggie and Tupac. And Yoko’s “Woman is the nigger of the world.”

Everything you said was awful.

Tesseract

Banned
Yes! Context is king.

But you got dark and weird with it.

Talking about retards and such.

There is a fun sci-fi element to be had. But you got mean with it.

insofar as i can tell nobody in this thread got mean with it

'you' doesn't apply to the whole thread, single out any users you got problems with

June

Not in public, no. I refrain from saying anything in public that is known to be controversial in some way, as I can't be assed dealing with the backlash and getting into arguments over some petty shit.

However with close friends or circles I am more comfortalble in, then yes. It's a word that is more playful than "idiotic" or "stupid".

Whitesnake

Banned
I actually strictly use the IRL, and even then I don’t get many opportunities to say it.

Online you can use a variety of other words: Autist, Sperg, Mongoloid, Smoothbrain, Brainlet, Headass, Exceptional Individual, Brap, etc.

Honestly “retard” isn’t that bad.

brap

Banned
I actually strictly use the IRL, and even then I don’t get many opportunities to say it.

Online you can use a variety of other words: Autist, Sperg, Mongoloid, Smoothbrain, Brainlet, Headass, Exceptional Individual, Brap, etc.

Honestly “retard” isn’t that bad.

HoodWinked

does anyone use this word in relation to an actual handicap person? feel like the word has a different meaning now when used in a derogatory and non-derogatory manner.

like someone who is mentally capable; doing something unfathomably stupid or a situation that is outlandish. but also the word retard is used commonly in music terminology for slowing tempo.

similarly to the word lame, i remember when i was a kid learning that it had an original meaning.

highrider

Banned
I really don’t use the word in a shit talking context, I don’t have an issue with it’s use but it just never took with me. Fuckstick on the other hand..,

bitbydeath

does anyone use this word in relation to an actual handicap person? feel like the word has a different meaning now when used in a derogatory and non-derogatory manner.

like someone who is mentally capable; doing something unfathomably stupid or a situation that is outlandish. but also the word retard is used commonly in music terminology for slowing tempo.

similarly to the word lame, i remember when i was a kid learning that it had an original meaning.

Exactly, words have many different meanings.

Sakura

Yes I still use it, not in everyday convo with people I don't know of course, just like I wouldn't swear in those situations.
I'm not sure why you aren't supposed to use the word. Should stupid be banned because it makes stupid people feel bad?
And even if you take away words like retard, what do you think would happen? People would just use new words, for example using autistic as an insult, or handicapped, etc. and then we would be told we can't use the word autistic any more.

Moneal

Yes I still use it, not in everyday convo with people I don't know of course, just like I wouldn't swear in those situations.
I'm not sure why you aren't supposed to use the word. Should stupid be banned because it makes stupid people feel bad?
And even if you take away words like retard, what do you think would happen? People would just use new words, for example using autistic as an insult, or handicapped, etc. and then we would be told we can't use the word autistic any more.
This is the reason I still use it. You can never get rid of the negative context it is used in, only move it to another word.

O-N-E

I don't remember ever using it. Might have, but don't remember. Just always seemed a bit much, though I haven't given friends grief for it.

Was weird though hearing it being casually used by the principle of a special needs school.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I use it here, even.

It’s blatantly obvious that there’s an effort to control language in the false name of feelings, and if we give into it, it won’t stop, no matter what. I reject that.

What matters is context, something leftist culture has completely forgot the meaning of.

If I walk up to someone developmentally disabled and call them a retard, that’s cruel. If I call a friend on here a retard, after a funny, but stupid joke, that’s just us having a laugh.

Last edited:
I don’t usually call people retarded, unless they are REALLY pushing the boundaries. Although I would describe things as retarded quite a bit. “The hit reg in this game is fucking retarded” for example.

Yes, when people are being retards, obviously.

Moreover, I honestly can't recall ever hearing the word being used to describe actual people with learning disabilities outside of the punchline of self aware jokes, or in fiction to demonstrate a character is evil.

Obviously telling someone who actually is one, is bad and I would never say it but between friends, jokingly? Yeah we do say it.

In german the term is "behindert" that is now frown upon.
Which basically means "disabled", so it's not even a certain type of disability, which "retarded" is.
I am still using the word, but had the first incidence of someone acting up on it a month ago on a forum where I am a mod, asking me to change a word from my post from "sozialbehindert" (socially disabled) to something else.

So, things are getting more tight up here as well, at least on the web.

Pidull

Both myself and my spouse use it occasionally, and we have mentally disabled kids.

It's just a word, how the word is used is the issue. Are you using it to make fun of mentally handicapped people? Not cool.

It's somewhat like the South Park episode on the word faggot, I don't know that anyone other than complete assholes use it to describe gay people anymore. The way words are used changes over time, often rapidly. The current English language is drastically different from just a few hundred years ago. Hell, Boomer is now an abbreviated epithet directed towards older generations.

dust bunny

Occasionally. Sometimes it's just funny and/or descriptive and does no harm to anyone. Just read the situation correctly and don't be retarded.

Top Bottom