• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still say "retard" or "retarded" in conversation?

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Not in public, but I tend not to use any slurs or vulgarities in public.

But with friends/work, yeah, nothing is off the table.

Even nigger?

I'll admit to this. I dont call black folks this in private or public derogatively but I routinely use it with friends while telling a story and such to refer to a person or groups of people.
I grew up in a low income, predominant minority, community so it was just a common to use and I'll sometimes with old friends slip into that mode when were all together.

lil puff

I doubt anyone using the word means it literally. It used to be used as just an insult, but them became insensitive like a lot of other terms. People probably still use it because it never really meant more than saying fucking idiot.

I stopped using it but sometimes I still think it about some people.

Ravix

I try not to in public because of how overly sensitive people are nowadays but it slips out once and a while.

iconmaster

Banned
As in “our progress was retarded by the developers’ remarkable lack of even a cursory understanding of their own software?”

No, not nearly often enough.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is this a USA thing? I don't ever remember it being a big insult when we were growing up. I don't generally use it, sort of like faggot in CS1.6, or fayg0t. Tend to use the classics like cockwomble, nobhead, shithead or thundercunt.

lil puff

Is this a USA thing? I don't ever remember it being a big insult when we were growing up. I don't generally use it, sort of like faggot in CS1.6, or fayg0t. Tend to use the classics like cockwomble, nobhead, shithead or thundercunt.
I think pre-internet, no one would bat an eye over the term.

Then again, I remember I was like 15-16 (early 1990s) and my then me, GF and her mom were watching a movie, and I called a guy a 'stupid bastard' and her mom got mad as shit and forced us to time-out for 2 weeks. So, I don't think any of this is universal, some individuals may have been brought up to reject certain terms. My stepmom didn't even like the word 'damn' and barely tolerated 'dang' or 'darn'

Dontero

Banned
retardation is no longer name of disease which means there is no reason to not use it. Secondly only weak people allow their own mouth to be highjacked by other weak people.

IKSTUGA

Yeah I use retard and faggot all the time. Don't really use the N-word, even though it's also pretty commonly used within my group of friends (my country is pretty racist).

DESTROYA

Yes all the time. My brothers and me use it on each other all the time .
I wouldn’t use it on anyone I didn’t know but to a friend or family....sure.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Isn't mentally retarded a medical term? So, ergo, retarded would be a medical term. I have never understood why a mentally retarded person would be offended when you call someone who is not mentally retarded retarded. Its a put down for the non-mentally retarded, and a classification of the actual mentally retarded.

There is another slag word I don't quite get, faggot. That word somehow originated as "Fag" which can mean a cigarette, or Faggot, which can mean a bundle of sticks, and along the way morphed into a slag word for gay people? Like how did that happen, and why? Calling someone a faggot, as in "you are dumber than a bundle of sticks", would makes sense. Calling a gay person a bundle of sticks does not make sense.

I honestly don't get why words piss people off so much. They are only ever given meaning by us. The only reason cuss words exist is because we elevated them to that status.

Fuck is still one of the best sounding words in the english language though.

edit: I'd like to add that, regardless of my inability to understand, I am a cultured man and way to refined to use an icky word like retarded. I generally just call people "Wastes of Life", "Pieces of shit", "Useless Cumbuckets", "Dick Garages", and "Fucking Dumbshits" on a daily basis. It makes me feel better that the mentally handicapped aren't disparaged when I verbally assault some cheating soy boy asshat on PUBG.

Last edited:
We in the UK have much more offensive words like Spaz, Mong or Thick as Pig Shit.

Retard/ed is merely a scientific word for slow to react, such as Fire Retardant.

I don't say it...as quite frankly, it makes the person in question sound like one to even use such a slow reactive word.

ruvikx

Banned
I don't say it...as quite frankly, it makes the person in question sound like one to even use such a slow reactive word.

I don't judge a person's entire character based upon one word they might utter under various circumstances.

"Retard", "retarded", i.e. the only reason we don't use such words in common use is because the PC police have ordained it's unacceptable. A bit like saying "Jesus fucking Christ" in 12th century Holy Roman Empire was also super bad. Some of us have enough perspective to not care about the current-year diktats forcing strange verbal norms upon the people for whatever "population control" reasons.

xrnzaaas

Yep, me and two of my friends since childhood call each other using many inappropriate words. No one takes offence of course and we never do it when we're accompanied by someone else.

My partner doesn't say any "bad words", but she accepts if I do when I play or watch tv and get excited or angry over something.

Last edited:
I work, or worked, in Special Education for most of my adult life.

The “R-word Campaign” is always a focus every year and made me more aware of the hurt this word can others.

I never say it as an adjective. Once in the last few years I used it, at home, as a verb in a conversation about how growing up today is different than growing up when I was kid, I said something like “social media, cell phones, the internet age has both retarded and mutated the maturation process of our youth.”

Last edited:
I work, or worked, in Special Education for most of my adult life.

The “R-word Campaign” is always a focus every year and made me more aware of the hurt this word can others.

I never say it as an adjective. Once in the last few years I used it, at home, as a verb in a conversation about how growing up today is different than growing up when I was kid, I said something like “social media, cell phones, the internet age has been retarded and mutated the maturation process of our youth.”

Can you elaborate more on the hurt it causes others? A lot of posters in here say they'd never call someone who is actually, technically retarded.. retarded, that they'd only use it to describe someone "acting" that way.

I would imagine lumping in people acting stupid/out of sort/etc with people who can't help it wouldn't be particularly well received, but is there other reasons why it's so hurtful?

lil puff

We in the UK have much more offensive words like Spaz, Mong or Thick as Pig Shit.

Retard/ed is merely a scientific word for slow to react, such as Fire Retardant.

You guys in the UK seriously have the best sounding insults.

Like if someone said I was thick as pig shit, I would probably laugh with them at myself.

Mossybrew

Yeah, it's not something I'd say at work or whatever, but for sure a "that's fucking retarded" slips out from time to time.

lil puff

Can you elaborate more on the hurt it causes others? A lot of posters in here say they'd never call someone who is actually, technically retarded.. retarded, that they'd only use it to describe someone "acting" that way.

I would imagine lumping in people acting stupid/out of sort/etc with people who can't help it wouldn't be particularly well received, but is there other reasons why it's so hurtful?
There is no tangible logic to the actual words and how they are taken.

I don't know what it's like to have any disability, but I can see how a word can illicit an emotional response, likely based on personal suffering from being teased, not fitting in, or any experiences any given individual may have went thru.

I'm not the most sensitive person, but if someone tells me they're hurt by something, I tend to just understand. If the desire to use a word becomes so important that I myself become sensitive, I prob need to step away and catch some fresh air.

MacReady13

Yes. Yes I do. It is a word used to make fun of people who are idiots. It's not a word used to pick on people who are genuinely retarded, not that I needed to explain that but, in today's overly sensitive day and age, it appears everything needs to be explained. Mind you, this is how I ALWAYS used the word, so for me it was never taboo.

Nah not really though I have used it sparingly. I have seen mentally disabled kids get hurt by the name calling and it is just about the saddest thing ever. To me, it would be similar to making fun of cancer patients/victims. Just feels wrong. I can call you a million other insulting things.

616y-b6v5DL._SX466_.jpg

boo

Gold Member
I've seen the word used less and less over time, but today I was driving and saw a kid riding his skateboard looking at his phone and he went straight into a hedge and I thought "retard", out of nowhere.

Got me thinking what the GAF has to say about it's use. What say you?

EDIT: Also, I wanted to put a poll in, but couldn't figure out how, am I retarded?

So this is bad:

-What, you post on REEE, are you retarded?

While this is good:

-What, you post on REEE, are you mentally disabled?

Okay then.

Arimer

Yes I do. I was raised with it and it's burned in. I don't say retarded to mean you're literally mentally handicapped. Besides If you get rid of it the next word on the euphemism treadmill will just take it's place.

Yeah, but Northern British culture is different. We use it to take the piss out of one another.

Sometimes, I use it legitimately, but rarely, when describing things like the retardation of ordinance.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

We use mong here too. Like when someone does something really stupid while driving, I may say to my wife “lol did you see that mong cunt?”

I had this car that did a lot of retarding, turns out there was something seriously wrong with the ignition sys...

Oh we aren't talking Ignition timing.

Yeah I say retard sometimes.

appaws

Banned
I remember there was a brief campaign to get people to stop saying "cocksucker" as an insult. I guess because it is insulting to either gay dudes or women to imply that there is anything wrong with being a cocksucker.

That is one of my favorite insults still, and feels so good to say...and add addenda to like "you cocksucker fuck." Or to use as just a way to refer to generic human beings, like "there are about a hundred cocksuckers waiting in line over there."

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Yes. I also say things like "tard helmet", and make references to "riding the short bus" when joking.
I also only do it with friends who met me in college, and my girlfriend, with whom I am authentic. I wouldn't gamble that kind of language with friends I met professionally or anybody I have met in the past 5 years.
The world has changed, and I understand.

If you get rid of it the next word on the euphemism treadmill will just take it's place.
This. Before retards, there were idiots, morons and imbeciles. All had the same meaning, all were replaced with new words because of negative connotations.
Apparently people have this desire to compare dumb behavior to dumb people, and mentally handicapped people are the extreme version of that.

I don't judge a person's entire character based upon one word they might utter under various circumstances.

"Retard", "retarded", i.e. the only reason we don't use such words in common use is because the PC police have ordained it's unacceptable. A bit like saying "Jesus fucking Christ" in 12th century Holy Roman Empire was also super bad. Some of us have enough perspective to not care about the current-year diktats forcing strange verbal norms upon the people for whatever "population control" reasons.

You are correct that we shouldn't be judging people by using the word, but I was more talking about how people use the word in a certain way that makes them sound very stupid.

I personally don't like the word, but people are free to use it of course, but just be wary that in the UK people will just laugh at the word as to us it really isn't that offensive!

You guys in the UK seriously have the best sounding insults.

Like if someone said I was thick as pig shit, I would probably laugh with them at myself.

We only ever say that one for people we really don't like. If they like you, they will use the word "Daft Sod" instead, which is like calling someone a loveable fool or a foolhardy friend. No one will call it (Thick as Pig Shit) you unless you really really upset them with a really really stupid comment! :LOL:

I have only ever used it for people who don't deserve anyone's sympathy and are showing their true IQ levels.

If you wanna offend someone pretty badly based on Sexuality (I won't use this by the way), Knob Jockey is a good one.

We use mong here too. Like when someone does something really stupid while driving, I may say to my wife “lol did you see that mong cunt?”

Mong Cunt is such a weird combination of words that only you guys will combine! :LOL:

My favourite word is a Smeg Head, because it's basically saying someone has a very cheesy penis.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Yes, to reference people with fully functioning brains who fail to use them as opposed to actual disabled people. Not bothered if it's "offensive".

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Words change over time. Retard has become something very different from just someone with a disability. If I say something in a game is retarded, for someone with a mentally disabled son to then be offended is what I call a "well, fuck off then" moment.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Almost daily. Just not to people who may actually be retarded.

Top Bottom