• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still use your Steam Controller?

Steam Controller

• I still use it

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Used it for a good while but gave up

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Briefly tried it but it wasn't for me

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Never owned one

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters
capsule_616x353.jpg

I really loved this controller for shooters and in terms of accuracy it's a massive step up from dual analogs (if you take advantage of trackpad+gyro). But eventually the constant need for micromanaging and customizing the buttons for each new game wore me down. Doesn't help that it's hit and miss whether games support both left analog + trackpad mouse at the same time. And I still had to bring up the Steam overlay a lot to remember the controls for each game.

So ultimately I gave up and now I'm simply using wireless m/kb from the couch, along with an XB1 controller. What's your experience with the SC?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I use it only with steam link for watching movie. It sucks for gaming.
I did bought another one just to keep it in the box lol

Stitch

Gold Member
I used it for some hidden objects games :D And Java Minecraft lol. never had to customize the controls because pretty much every game already had some user profiles. Even Minecraft

Last edited:
I use it occasionally for games without controller support or some old shooters. Generally there's a good amount of custom configurations to try so never bothered to do my own for games. Recently played through Singularity with it :messenger_sunglasses:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I only used it a handful of times. Mostly sat on a shelf with my Dreamcast fishing rod and Gamecube keyboard controller.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The thing with the SC is the time to set up for any given game can vary by quite a bit. I've come to realise that you're better off going into a new game with the default control scheme and making small changes over time to suit your needs, rather than picking the top community config and trying to learn the game's controls, prompts, and SC config at the same time.

There are also some default settings that I despise, so they're the first thing I change. They are haptics (which thankfully has an option to disable controller-wide*) and left pad click required. It's a touch pad, I shouldn't need to click it to use it. Plus, if you disable that, you open up the option to have click presses in 4 directions, which is 8 extra bindings if you use both pads.

Some different games I use it for:
Axiom Verge
2D platformer, nice and comfortable with touch movement. Grip bindings can result in minimal hand movement​
Borderlands (they're all the same)
Not much to say here, FPS aiming can be pretty precise with gyro tweaked. Doesn't take much.​
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Got all achievements using this controller. Dodge on one grip button, run on the other. I also set up L3 to be my "Skip cutscene", which presses Start on start press and presses X on release. And that's the sort of little thing I love being able to do with this.​
Torchlight
I was scared to approach this because I didn't want to spend all my time moving the cursor across the screen, but a fantastic community config has it all worked out. One button moves the mouse to a region of the screen, clicking and moving back. The analog stick is bound to move the cursor in a circle around the character and click, giving the game analog movement.​
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1/2
There were a bit of a pain as games using old versions of DirectX (before 8.1, I think) need .dll wrappers. But once in game, I gave myself a few QoL upgrades similar to the RE3 cutscene skip. I turn a press into a series of precisely tweaked button presses to perform certain things, taking away some of the tedium of outdated design.​
Any game with QTEs
Give yourself a turbo key.​
Don't get me wrong, I would often rather use my DS4 if:
  • Mixed inputs aren't a thing
  • Right analog stick needs to be emulated (related to above)
  • The game makes heavy use of L1/R1 (Dark Souls)
  • We're talking about sheer ergonomics
But it definitely still has its place for me.

Graciaus

I tried and gave up. My free time is limited and I would rather play games then learn how to configure a controller to play a game.

GymWolf

bought it on super offer price, used for 5 minutes, never used again.

i don't like to do 30 min work to make the pad working good with basically every game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Need a "rarely/sometimes" option.

Only use mine about twice a year at this point.

Only useful for games where you don't want to use mouse and keyboard and there's no controller support.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I tried to make a good M&K configuration for Fallout 4 for longer than some people played the game itself. Never again.

Codes 208

I used my brother-in-law’s (Who bought one day one) to try out for a few minutes. Had a hard time adjusting and ended up never buying one for myself. Definitely more of a tried and true xbox controller guy for pc.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I tried to make a good M&K configuration for Fallout 4 for longer than some people played the game itself. Never again.
You poor thing. That game is horrible for it, given how the Pipboy is. I learned to either go pure MKB or pure controller, no in between. It's mostly the same for all games in that engine (FO3, NV, Skyrim).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't really use it for games unless it's something turn based or not input sensitive. I never really did get used to the track pads for games. Gyro was a nice improvement though.

I use it frequently with my Steam Link in the living room. Either for remote play or desktop access. I have a Xbone dongle plugged in the back for actual controller gaming.

If Valve released an updated controller I would probably buy it just to check it out.

Agent X

I still use mine!

For those people who dread the notion of devising a custom configuration for a particular game: try browsing the configurations submitted by the community. You might find something suitable that another user has already created, and even tweak it further to your own personal preference.

JimboJones

I still use mine!

For those people who dread the notion of devising a custom configuration for a particular game: try browsing the configurations submitted by the community. You might find something suitable that another user has already created, and even tweak it further to your own personal preference.

Yeah, super handy. Lots of configs are available and there are even configs for PS4/Xbox controllers.
While I don't use the steam controller much I appreciate the software that valve created for it as it can be used for lots of different controllers now.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
You poor thing. That game is horrible for it, given how the Pipboy is. I learned to either go pure MKB or pure controller, no in between. It's mostly the same for all games in that engine (FO3, NV, Skyrim).
Oh, I sure as hell do know it. I was going extremely custom where I could hold a shoulder button to get a new function for the mouse and shit like that to make scrolling through enemy inventories and the pip-boy more manageable. I just wanted a responsive mouse in my right thumb for combat and even that was too much to ask out of the shitty controller combined with Bethesda's shitty engine.

Never had one, so I asked a friend who I know does for his opinion.
He finds it interesting, can work well in games with partial controller support where it can replace mouse/keyboard a bit, but otherwise the 360 controller is much better.
It's linked to his Steam Link, which he almost never uses though, so it doesn't get much use either...

hollams

Gold Member
Just used it last night to play Legend of Grimrock, I paired it with an auto hotkey script and it made the game so much easier to play with a controller than mouse/keyboard.

Still use mine to play The Evil Within on PC with gyro aiming, it works like a dream and the shakiness of the aiming enhances the survival horror feeling of the game, since it's easier to sometimes miss shots that way.

Shakka43

Got one during the fire sale, loved the back paddles, hated pretty much all the rest. The position of the face buttons made it them nearly unusable for me.

i bought one thinking i would use it all the time. turns out i prefer kb/m for 90% of games and an xbox one controller for the rest. so it basically just it's in a drawer

good collectors item i suppose?

Azaroth

Gave it a fair shot, but it’s terrible. Had it stashed in a drawer for a long time, and threw it in the garbage last time I was cleaning out junk.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I still use it when I'm playing via Steam link in the living room. At first, I didn't like the right trackpad as a replacement for an analog stick, but at this point I'm used it and it feels natural.

On a side note, I always invert my Y-axis when playing with a controller, but I've found that I don't invert on the trackpad. Basically, my brain only needs inverted controls when there is an actual stick.

teezzy

Banned
I love the damn thing tbh. So cool to overcome games' bad control schemes (Grip Combat Racing - I'm looking at you) and play however you want: back paddles, gyro aiming, etc. Shit rules. You can load user made presets and avoid fussing with too much customization if you'd like. I always turn off the need to click the "d-pad", and turn on high haptics for both the touch pads. It's fucking amazing for platformers that way tbh

Steam controller, you have my sword

Grinchy

Banned
I also hate the clicky shoulder buttons. They are so loud. Even when just emulating a normal controller for Rocket League, where I use R1 for boost, it felt and sounded awful to have that loud click going on so often. The triggers don't feel great to press in either, and the trackpad clicks loudly too (for R3).

Last edited:
Top Bottom