• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still visit gaming sites?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No. Jest here, yt and twitch.
Giant bomb has fallen years ago sadly
Giant Bomb keeps up with the news on their podcast. I listened to the last two weeks and they seemed to bring up what everyone was talking about. I have nothing really bad to say about their site. It’s entertaining because they do talk about games they’re playing. I can see where it isn’t exactly “sneak preview” stuff except when they do get a game early. Honestly, I enjoy what they create. I just don’t feel like I get along with their community. Same with like Hardcore Gaming 101 and a lot of websites. Good content, but when you try to interact with them - it’s like being the odd piece in their space. Maybe that’s just me?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Since GAF->internet->GAF, I don't need to read any other gaming sites. Especially with all the politics/agendas they're trying to push, paid reviews, and tons of ads instead of the actual content. Fuck 'em.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
These days most of them are woke political activism and virtue signalling urinalism, so no. I read headlines in news aggregators, and sometimes diving into a thread on gaf is a fair supplement. I kinda miss the old days with the magazines and all btw, it's not the same these days.

If we're talking gaming journalism sites once in a blue moon I still hop on Destructoid and that's it.

I'm pretty much detached from gaming journalism now, I haven't even read Game Informer since 2019.

laynelane

I've come to the conclusion that feedback from people who are playing games is more valuable than what journalists have to say (which can sometimes have very little to do with actual games). So, I get my news from here, Youtube, and sometimes Reddit.

MOTM

Banned
Just GAF & Resetera. The latter has more diverse topics but I don’t like the vibe of the forum. Gaf has an easier to navigate site and I post here. Used to go to Gamespot back in the day like 10 years ago, not anymore.

Haggard

Banned
pretty much only gaf and sometimes YT.
any relevent (& irrelevant) gaming news from all over the web pops up here. No need to follow any gaming sites.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Average GAF user probably has a higher IQ than any of the so called gaming journalists.

Not really. You have a ton of dumb, blind fanboys here who fight some imaginary war for their beloved companies, totally for free, versus people who just do their daily job for a living, carefully editing the titles and articles to lure the former group to generate as much traffic as possible, and they do so very successfully to say the least, so you have to ask yourself who is the smarter group here.

base

Banned
Only GAF since a long time I suppose. GAF gives me up-to-date stuff and I'm not wasting time for any clickbaits.

Here, YouTube, and sometimes I'll look up a specific reddit for a game. Every once in a while I'll look up a single player game on howlongtobeat.com then decide to go back to playing multiplayer anyway.

The IGNs and Kotakus of the world have no value to me.

Not really. You have a ton of dumb, blind fanboys here who fight some imaginary war for their beloved companies, totally for free, versus people who just do their daily job for a living, carefully editing the titles and articles to lure the former group to generate as much traffic as possible, and they do so very successfully to say the least, so you have to ask yourself who is the smarter group here.
True. Maybe my ever growing ignore list clouds my perception.

Animagic

Banned
Absolutely not. Videogame websites are almost always advertising platforms, or ego-driven attempts to produce corporately approved 'gaming celebrities', like those fuckheads at Giant Bomb. It's all utter garbage. The opinions of those losers hold no more weight than the opinions of some random idiot on Youtube, their 'expertise' is 100% an illusion. Remember when Giant Bomb let Abby Russell push 'Dream Daddy' as one of the best games of the year? Yeah. That's how much credibility those whores have.

I get my gaming news here, Twitter when I can stomach it, or Reddit. I dip my toe into Resetera occasionally, but I'm almost always immediately turned off because of threads with 'Nintendo Thread: TRANS LIVES ARE HUMAN LIVES' titles. Fuck off. I don't want to hear about your pathetic, weirdo politics.

I concur with BusierDonkey, /v/ is infested with the worst people in the world, and it has a median IQ of roughly 75 - BUT because it's a borderline criminal sewer, you also get people talking very honestly about games they love, games they hate, and games that piss them off. That, to me, is worth more than the 300th 4 hour podcast this year where Jeff Gerstmann mumbles 'Yeah, that game is... kinda weird' again.

EDIT: I also despise Youtube 'reviewers', Twitch streams, and anything with the faintest whiff of e-celeb about it. 'WASSUP IT'S YA BOY SNIPARELITE COMIN ATCHA WITH ANOTHER REVIEW, THIS TIME FOR CAWWADOODY BLACK... AWPS... COLWAR. If you wanna support the channel then SMASH that like button and SUBSCRIBE to check out more content comin up. Really helps support the channel.' Or worthless idiots like Jim Sterling or Yong Yea, shilling for money while literally reading from websites, and adding their bullshit, uninteresting, deeply worthless 'commentary'. Drop dead, all of you.
Based and freedom-pilled

Animagic

Banned
Nah. Too much whine about politics instead of games. Maybe if the gaming sites turn themselfs back into gaming sites I might get back to use them as a reference of information.
I used to love the retronauts podcast years ago, but they just won’t shut the hell up about their pathetic marxist liberal political views in their retro video game podcast.

It’s mind boggling these types of people never take a step back and humbly ask themselves: “maybe were coming across as a bunch of self righteous assholes...”

I’ll never waste my time listening to them again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
honestly only GAF, links from GAF threads like Youtube videos or something, AVGN videos, and Gamefaqs when I want to look up something about a specific game or walkthrough.

Edit - oh ya and how long to beat. Sometimes when there i read user reviews of games too but not often.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

and many of you probably still have accounts at RE or visit there often

tenor.gif

HTK

Banned
Just GAF, I stopped visiting mainstream gaming sites long time ago. It's sad because even YouTube creators as they get bigger start becoming partnered then every video becomes sponsored and everything is always great. Sad.

I usually go to IGN around E3 because historically it's more organized (imo) so you can make sure you don't miss an announcement, which is easier to do in a message board setting. But I've always preferred message boards as opposed to articles (mainly because I like to read comments, and comments on articles like IGN are absolute garbage now), and message boards end up with all the news anyway so it's not like I'm missing things. I used to go on IGN message boards but activity on that died off, so now I'm on here, Reddit, and era because those are the only gaming message boards that are really active, at least that I can find

Mozzarella

For gaming discussion its: GAF, Reddit, Youtube, GameFaqs. GAF is the best one and for more serious talk. Reddit is for asking for tips on a game or quick questions/responses/short discussions. Youtube is for watching gaming content and news, GameFaqs for shitposting and reading terrible comments from incompetent trolls.
For gaming reviews i use Grouvee, and i had a metacritic account but forgot its password. I visited some other websites but they didnt click with me, they always have a niche userbase or a lot of trolls. If you guys have a good tracking games site i would like to visit it, i visited most of the known ones, rawg, grouvee, backlogged, backloggery, myvideogamelist, gapp, igdb.

tsumake

I visit IGN and bluesnews as a relfex since they’ve been around for 20 years (!). I used to follow hardocp until he stopped. Hardcoregaming101 was a regular for me but it’s dropped in quality.

Any recs for good retrogaming sites?

I go to the book store at the mall every month and read through EGM, EGM2, Gamefan...sometimes ill buy one and pour over the pages for months and months. I think i burned out the preview of final fantasy 6, its going to be amazing and it makes me imagine all the games i could make myself. I love l;ooking at all the strange games coming out in japan.

...is what i wish i could say

20cent

Banned
Not anymore, either the one(s) I liked adopted a paywall business model (no thanks) or their best journalists became youtubers/twitchers (double no thanks) or just left.

Still listening to some podcasts for reviews or recommendations if in the mood.

Javthusiast

Banned
Nope. Only Gaf and for the lulz/news Era.

The only way I come into contact with other gaming sites is either through their game reviews on youtube, their podcasts or people making fun of their dumb takes sometimes on youtube.

Just visiting their sites for news or articles is so obsolete now.

Last edited:
It's really really really hard to read through a gaming website these days.

I used to enjoy Kotaku, for example, almost ten years ago. Now I can't stand it.

I used to surf through gamespot, now I don't ever find myself doing that in the past 10 years.

Maybe its age, or maybe I realized that i can get gaming news highlights if I just hop on NeoGaf and just catch up with gaming here.

I definitely don't pay attention to gaming as I used to anymore.

These days, I just play whatever the hell I want anyway. The console warring and game discussions are just popcorn fodder.

Been in game forums for almost 20 years now.

Console warring has never changed for those 20 years.

I don't think it ever will.

Top Bottom