• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you subscribe to any print/digital newspapers?

What newspapers do you read?

• Wall Street Journal

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • New York Times

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Financial Times

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Washington Post

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Post

• The Economist

• USA Today

• Los Angeles Times

• Non-U.S. newspaper

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

• None

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I got tired of searching for articles through google to read them for free and decided to just subscribe to some since there are some decent holiday deals. I got digital NYtimes, digital Wall Street Journal and digital Economist right now even though I only read like 3 articles a day lol. Which ones do you subscribe to?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I subscribe to digital versions of two French economic / business monthlies. Also tried the Economist and WSJ each time there was an offer.
The best publication by far was the New Yorker though. The richness and complexity of topics they write about is unmatched. Insanely good magazine. Real shame something like that doesn’t exist in French.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a newspaper, but I remember Rogers trying to promote this $9.99/mth plan where you get a shit load of digital magazine through Texture. Was kind of interested. This thread reminded me about it.

I just Googled it. Apple bought them 2 years ago, rebranded it Apple News and now charge $12.99/mth.

lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
I subscribe to iPad versions of

Financial Times
The Times & Sunday Times (UK)
Helsingin Sanomat (FI)

I much prefer the curated approach and newspaper layout to a general endless newsfeed online.

In fact, I quit this week reading online news like Apple News because that endless feed is just too addictive, and designed to increase anxiety.

I do subscribe to Apple News+ for digital magazines like Edge, Men’s Health, National Geographic, Esquire and more. I hope it would be possible to disable the main news feed tab and just keep the magazines tab.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Just the shite that I get bundled into Apple One which isn’t even the full paper, just snippets.

So I get shit from the Times in the UK, same bollocks just longer words than The Sun.

Lupingosei

Banned
I used to when it was about facts.

Now articles are often written like stage plays where the author knows everything about the persons he writes about even their thoughts and feelings.

Journalists love to write stories like that, it makes them feel more like authors and for years they got awards for articles like this.

But as a reader, this is painful to read. I don't need somebody who explains the world to me or creates stories to siphon certain emotions from the reader.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I read the WSJ every now and again. I have a subscription that was required for some of my masters classes and its financial data is great.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I got rid of my NYTimes and Economist subscription last year

WSJ, Bloomberg, Financial Times and plus many others I subscribed to.

Moogle11

Banned
NYT digital, local city paper and many others (as well as magazines) through my county library via the PressReader app.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
1e91867a0072ec58bfb0609ab667c881.jpg

c11194bf14cd6703-600x338.jpg

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nope, feels to me like a total waste of time and money.

I do support 2 monthly (gaming) magazines via subscriptions (both with digital & print versions as a package), but that's another story.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
Hell no. I'm not paying someone else to tell me what to think. Especially given today's level of fake news.

Last edited:

TheContact

I had a game informer subscription for a good 10+ years but cancelled it after they went digital. I didn’t cancel because of that, only that it was around the same time I cancelled. The digital edition was actually pretty cool even if I prefer printed magazines. I just don’t see a point to subscribing to a magazine in this day and age

I subscribe to a few. A mainstream paper, a fringe paper, and a local paper. It's nice to get print sometimes. It can't be stealth-edited.

Top Bottom