• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

I know many of you including myself were blown away by the visuals from Anthem. It is very hard for me to think that the actual game will look like that at release without some kind of downgrade. Does BioWare have a history of downgraded games or are they legit? The last game that blew me away graphically was The Division and we all know how that turned out. The game was still pretty but it did get a noticeable downgrade. Do you think from what we've seen of Anthem that those graphics will be final?

t63qf9l6z8tfglndhk5o.gif

mskymgur6okcm9o62rdh.gif

This is scorpio footage though, no? I can see it looking like that on that machine, maybe something close to it on a PRO as well.

Newlove

It's tough to say as EA are very familiar with their Frostbite engine at this stage and the hardware it needs to run on. Most of the time though, these games are shown very early before final optimisation.

Maledict

Absolutely. Bioware have *never* been good at graphics or engine optimisation. Ever. It's just not something their studio is good at.

EBE

The storm reminded me of Gears 4s wind flare sections so they certainly don't look impossible.

That said, it will probably look pretty bad on an OG Xbox one

kadotsu

Banned
I could see the environments looking as good in the final game but character/npc animation will surely take a hit.

No I don't think it will not a significant downgrade at least we have seen on DICE Battlefront games that this levels of graphics are possible on the Frostbite engine on current consoles and PCs, the game will look like this at least on PC and on Xbox One X also the Pro but with different settings of course

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah chances are pretty high. Could look better on Scorpio/Pro but on vanilla PS4/XBO I bet it's not going to look like that.

It would be nice to be surprised, but I feel it is a pretty safe bet to guess it is gonna be downgraded. That gameplay video was so scripted and railroaded that it is hard to pull any kind of idea what the final performance and visuals of the game are going to be like from it.

Generally what you do is that you make a target presentation/demo/showpiece that displays the level of quality you're aiming for.

They spend time on polishing up a tech demo- not just for trade show marketing purposes, but also to internalize as a team that this is the level of quality they are going for.
It's quite motivating and encouraging.
Normally, a game is not coming together until near the end. This can leave many people who work on the project for years, somewhat clueless and give them a sense of having no clear vision.

The more correct question would be; Can the full game they are making, reach the visual fidelity by this demo? To which the answer is probably not completely, but one would assume they'll try to get somewhat close.

As more gameplay systems, objects, enemies and so on enter the game, more hits are made on performance, and uncomfortable darlings will need to be killed. It's always like this. That tiny bit of post-processing that looks ohh so nice might very well be sacrificed because it just isn't worth the 10 fps hit when you're playing it moment to moment.

Which is to say, that it is very nice when developers give players the option to choose between lower framerates with more eye candy, or more smooth gameplay with some of the fancier bells and whistles disabled. We can hope the PC version will have a Ultra/High end mode that can take it to this level.

KillLaCam

Banned
Yeah, but EA doesn't downgrade games that much. So it's not gonna be some shocking difference. It just looks like a frostbite game condensed. I'm sure this isn't unobtainable as long as the areas aren't too big.

oti

Banned
This was shown on a Xbox one x. So for that and the pro, no. For PS4 and normal Xbox yeah.

Was it really an Xbox or just a really beefy PC?

In any case, it doesn't really matter. This is 100% a vertical slice. The finished game should look worse, which makes total sense.

Realities of modern game development and need for optimisation say yes.

How much of a downgrade is what will be up for debate though.

CHC

Probably not much of one, really. The reason those scenes look so good is not raw asset quality - it's curation. They make sure you can't and won't see any of the janky transition animations, clumsy reality of player mistakes, and sparsely decorated corners of the world.

I'm sure everything they showed will be in the game, asset-wise, I just doubt any one player is going to have a moment where the stars align and things looks so perfectly fluid and cinematic.

ADS

Don't people remember the original Mass Effect Andromeda vertical slices? They were similarly optimistic.

It will absolutely be downgraded, at least for consoles.

Marcel

Don't people remember the original Mass Effect Andromeda vertical slices? They were similarly optimistic.

It will absolutely be downgraded, at least for consoles.

I remember and all those usual suspects championing (and apologizing for) Bioware are absent now. Really makes you think.

VariantX

Yep. Games lately look better in previews than they ever will when you get your hands on them. Gotta start that hype cycle up early instead of waiting until you're closer to the final product so it realistically looks like something we'd actually get to play on launch day.

Digital Foundry had a nice breakdown suggesting that it's genuinely running, but that each moment appeared staged to maximize the impact of each moment.

Snefer

Generally what you do is that you make a target presentation/demo/showpiece that displays the level of quality you're aiming for.

They spend time on polishing up a tech demo- not just for trade show marketing purposes, but also to internalize as a team that this is the level of quality they are going for.
It's quite motivating and encouraging.
Normally, a game is not coming together until near the end. This can leave many people who work on the project for years, somewhat clueless and give them a sense of having no clear vision.

The more correct question would be; Can the full game they are making, reach the visual fidelity by this demo? To which the answer is probably not completely, but one would assume they'll try to get somewhat close.

As more gameplay systems, objects, enemies and so on enter the game, more hits are made on performance, and uncomfortable darlings will need to be killed. It's always like this. That tiny bit of post-processing that looks ohh so nice might very well be sacrificed because it just isn't worth the 10 fps hit when you're playing it moment to moment.

Which is to say, that it is very nice when developers give players the option to choose between lower framerates with more eye candy, or more smooth gameplay with some of the fancier bells and whistles disabled. We can hope the PC version will have a Ultra/High end mode that can take it to this level.

Not quite how things go down. E3 demos are rarely target renders nowadays (or target renders at all, cant think of a game in many years that actually did that, one thing to capture it on powerful hardware, one way to actually make it prerendered). E3 segments do naturally get more polish of course, and the optimisation part is more or less true (even though you would never make a postprocess effect that eats 10 fps unless you are a complete idiot)

Top Bottom