• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Dragon Quest can work without Toriyama's art style?

yurinka

I never played them properly, but from outside 95% of the Dragon Quest appeal is the Toriyama style.

Last edited:

Life

It's a very nostalgic style he has - but I have always thought it to be quite limiting in creating distinguished characters. Some characters look far too similar - and they have to because that's the style.

Yoboman

Yeah definitely. In fact I'd be interested in them trying a different mangakas art style

Something like a One Piece or Jojos art style would be fascinating

Davevil

No ...like realistic Mario

super-mario-mercedes-500x500_c.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'll make it easy, The day that Akira Toriyama is no longer involved, is the day of the franchise's funeral.

Also the franchise miss Sugiyama, he was a Gold part Of Dragon quest.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I disagree, having big changes of even more of a reason to maintain his style to keep at least some familiarity.
That's okay. I can see it going either way. But if you are making big changes already, it wouldn't be too out of place to change the style. Of course with a series as old and iconic as Dragon Quest, I'm sure that would ruffle a lot of feathers. I think it would be an interesting change due to how traditional the series has been to this point. This all depends on the new kind of style used and such.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What's up with these comments about Toriyama needing to be alive/involved to make a game that aesthetically looks like DQ? He didn't animate DBZ himself. You can easily make the argument that finding someone who knows the man's "eye" and can develop character designs for future installments. Purists I'm sure will scoff (as if the folks buying the game solely for the artwork are driving sales), but it's not like this conceit means the end of DQ (or DBZ for that matter).

. . .unless legally he owns the rights to the look (like the fella who owns the music) then no.

As for the OP's question. At this point. . .nope. It's like trying to change the look of THE SIMPSONS. Modern day of this show is wildly different than the early days, but it still LOOKS like THE SIMPSONS as opposed to KING OF THE HILL. Same here. The aesthetic, whether designed by Toriyama or not, is largely fixed.

Oof85

Yes but only if its a spiritual sequel franchise but not DQ exactly n whichever style they go with it'd more than likely be something somewhat off-putting.

Everyone doesn't like Toriyama's style but it works for DQ because once seen, you know you're looking at DQ.

So as long as they mirror that same distinct stylization aspect, there's a good chance of survival.

It's similar to the Atlus mainstays of Shin Megami and Persona. You know when you're looking at it.

Pokemon as well, to a point.

If anything it's crazy that FF never imprinted a certain look to their games. Well, you know what I mean. From snes to Playstation 1 to ps2 to ps3, constantly shifting.

Last edited:

Metnut

I’m fine either way on the artwork but excited that we’ll finally get a new composer. DQ11 had really underwhelming music which was compounded by it being such a long game.

jimmypython

Toriyama, yes: Akihiro Yoshida art style is successfully inherited by Kazuya Takahashi for FF14 and FF16. I am sure there are artists that can do the DQ style.
Toriyama art style, hard to say: FF replaced Amano with Nomura and many others for character/monster designs and that worked for FF. But DQ is a different franchise.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I definitely think it could, but I feel like it wouldn't sit well for a lot of fans. Especially if the games received different art. As a different form of entertainment it may be more digestible. Toriyama's art is just so damn identifiable, it's hard to think of the DQ games with anything but.

nocsi

Yes but only if its a spiritual sequel franchise but not DQ exactly n whichever style they go with it'd more than likely be something somewhat off-putting.

Everyone doesn't like Toriyama's style but it works for DQ because once seen, you know you're looking at DQ.

So as long as they mirror that same distinct stylization aspect, there's a good chance of survival.

It's similar to the Atlus mainstays of Shin Megami and Persona. You know when you're looking at it.

Pokemon as well, to a point.

If anything it's crazy that FF never imprinted a certain look to their games. Well, you know what I mean. From snes to Playstation 1 to ps2 to ps3, constantly shifting.
For FF, the logos all have the same style. The music is also consistent across the games, albeit adhering to their games styles. It’s nice that FF can be free form with its styles, it allows for easier translation of FF into different genres

Fbh

I think it could but they probably won't because at this point it's such an integral part of the franchise that moving away from it would probably upset a big part of the franchise.

It's not like they'd really struggle once Toriyama retires. I'm sure there's plenty of artists that can make slight variations of Goku.

Top Bottom