• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think every developer should use Unreal Engine as their base to make their game or should stick to their own engines?

Hudo

It depends on what your use case is, what your budget is, what your long term plan is and your technical capabilities (i.e. personnel, time, development equipment, etc) are.
Sometimes using a third-party engine is better, sometimes developing your own is better. From a long term perspective, having your own tech that you fully control is usually the better way to go.
It really depends. Unreal also has its limitations and is not the answer for every problem you might encounter, there's also a lot of hype around it that is not always warranted IMHO...

CuNi

It's not a engine problem. The engines we have are good. It's the games that suck nowadays, no engine gonna fix that.

Rickyiez

I always hear this shit. It drives me nuts!! How come SNK could develop 7 Metal Slug mainline games in 12 years in the 90s, sell them at a profit , which are still widely considered one of the most advanced/complex sprite-based 2D graphics works to this day, if it was that hard to produce them? How many people even worked on the first Metal Slug? According to Wikipedia the first 3 games were developed by SNK's Nazca
team, which was like 12 people (at least known through the credits). Let's just assume they were double that or even triple that, so 24 to 36 people (programmers, sound composers, producers inlcluded). If a bunch of these people could develop 3 mainline Metal Slug games in roughly 3 - 4 years, producing nothing but the highest quality of 2D animation, then I call bullshit that developing handmade 2D spritebasd games is just an impossible endeavour, workload-wise as well as financially and/or more expensive than making 3D games. Today, you have hundreds (!) of developers working on one Unreal-Engine based 3D game for years, which cost hundres of millions of dollars, and some of these games even struggle to break even. I don't believe 2D spirte games are harder and/or more expensive to make than the usual high-profile 3D games these days. I just don't believe it.
Comparing Metal Slug to a full blown 3D World 🤷‍♂️

Where did I say that exactly?
I was asking - you said “When you see 5 games using UE but they don’t look the same at all, here’s when I wish to see more studio’s using it.” - I literally can’t tell when games are using it so I’m asking if you think they have a similar look or something

Mista

Banned
I was asking - you said “When you see 5 games using UE but they don’t look the same at all, here’s when I wish to see more studio’s using it.” - I literally can’t tell when games are using it so I’m asking if you think they have a similar look or something
Not at all. That’s why I said they don’t look the same

Which makes me want to see more from the same engine but by different people. Its always fun to see who’s going to excel over who and brings out the best they can

Does anyone know how much Epic would make from royalties when a company uses UE?
Say a company sells a million copies of their UE based game, what would Epic make?

Not at all. That’s why I said they don’t look the same

Which makes me want to see more from the same engine but by different people. Its always fun to see who’s going to excel over who and brings out the best they can
Got it agreed

Mista

Banned
Does anyone know how much Epic would make from royalties when a company uses UE?
Say a company sells a million copies of their UE based game, what would Epic make?
Not sure exactly how much but they do make a lot

There's conditions that determines how much they're getting but I can't remember

Its not. Flight Sim uses Asobo's in house engine which is another engine that should live on.
Many of the features were from Forza which they integrated into their own. So not entirely independent !

==============
I think if it was not the question of man power and funding, then definately unique engines would have been better which were designed for specific needs, but since this is not possible for many developers, I believe Unreal Engine is the best third party option.

Not sure exactly how much but they do make a lot

There's conditions that determines how much they're getting but I can't remember
Would be interesting to see how much of Epics revenue comes from Fortnite and how much comes from UE royalties.
They have over 1000 employees, and I'm not sure how many of those are working on Fortnight and how many on UE development.

Another thing I think of is you have Asobo Studios with about 120 employees at the time of Plagues Tale and they made an engine that looks as good as UE4, so I imagine that Epic employ a fair few people as technical support to other devs who use the engine.

keraj37

I'll tell you. That how good a game looks doesn't depend just on the engine. DICE is great at making shooters that look amazing.

Jedi fallen order looks worse than battlefront 2 but better than Andromeda

100% .. Just like the example I wrote in my previous post

It’s not the engine alone, it’s who excels in using it.

Makes total sense - however, I want to see an UE game that looks better than BF1 or BF2 from DICE, maybe I didn't see, but I know non.

VN1X

Banned
I always wondered what would happen if all devs including major ones would stop using their own engines and just use Unreal Engine, I mean the tech demo we saw a while back is something to get excited over but should all devs stick to their own engine or should they just use Unreal Engine? So what are your thoughts on this? Should some devs stick to their own engine or use Unreal Engine?
Not every shower thought needs its own thread lol.

But in case you're serious I ask you: what is it exactly that made you come to this question? Is it because you saw some 'purty visuals' but then didn't stop to think that this has nothing to do with the engine but artstyle and dev know-how? An engine can be the most advanced thing on the market but it's useless if people don't know how to develop for the thing. Obviously some aspects of developing games for certain engines have gotten easier and more streamlined over time but the notion that all devs should stick to one engine is ridiculous. Especially when said engine is UE3 and every game looks the same because of the way it renders polygons, textures, lighting, etc.

I played Trails of Mana recently and didn't even need to look up to see that it runs on UE4. So in the hands of less capable devs it only highlights how easy it is to become complacent.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Many of the features were from Forza which they integrated into their own. So not entirely independent !

==============
I think if it was not the question of man power and funding, then definately unique engines would have been better which were designed for specific needs, but since this is not possible for many developers, I believe Unreal Engine is the best third party option.
I do want to know where people get these ideas.

I do want to know where people get these ideas.
It is a matter of simple search or reading articles. Interview with the studio itself:

"Then, we had the great support of Turn 10 during all the years of development of the simulator to learn all the physics, photo-realism, density and base structure of the FTech Engine, which in the version we used, was slightly modified to support the large load of data. "

“In short, the visual rendering is calculated on the player’s Windows 10, but all the 3D Textures and Data used come from the FTech Engine in a mix w
ith Azure.”

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion great game is solely based on designers not engines, you can have old ass engine for a game but good is good game if its well deigned.

Unreal is good, recently I’ve been impressed by Spyro. Gears continues to impress on a technical level. But hell no, we need more distinctive presentations.

Unreal is perfect for those without the resources or time to make their own tools, but not the absolute peak of technology.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It is a matter of simple search or reading articles. Interview with the studio itself:

"Then, we had the great support of Turn 10 during all the years of development of the simulator to learn all the physics, photo-realism, density and base structure of the FTech Engine, which in the version we used, was slightly modified to support the large load of data. "

“In short, the visual rendering is calculated on the player’s Windows 10, but all the 3D Textures and Data used come from the FTech Engine in a mix w
ith Azure.”

An Xplainin Xplainin thread linked to that MadInfinite article again. They said in the NoClip interview that they use their in house engine which was also used in Plague's Tale. Also.
You link to a XboxEra forum thread which links to this.
This article is known to have mistranslated everything. It says stuffs like "Asobo is working on another project with Microsoft". Sadly everyone picked up this news and believed it.
Here is the original article in French(use Google Translate)
No mention of Turn 10 and ForzaTech.

Its not just NoClip, Asobo has done many other interviews with Flight Sim YouTubers and always said "in-house engine". Heres another interview.

At 5:11

6:06

Top Bottom