• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Housemarque have the potential to do 5+ million in sales with their new games?

They’ll continue to be successful. I just hope Sony doesn’t beat their typical formula into them. Returnal is a superb game despite not being for everyone. Which makes it special to me. But I know Sony cares very much about critics and how approachable their game is.

Max_Po

Banned
Quiet frankly, their last game Returnal would have sold a lot more if was prices better. I picked it up day 1 but it is an arcade shooter.

Should have been 45 $ at launch max.

Quiet frankly, their last game Returnal would have sold a lot more if was prices better. I picked it up day 1 but it is an arcade shooter.

Should have been 45 $ at launch max.

Yeah, idk how they are gonna balance the bigger budget, their design philosophy, and the price they charge. A lot of people are just not into roguelikes. Thats why indie games usually dont sell more than a million copies, and thats if its a big successful one.

Robb

Gold Member
it doesnt matter how niche the genre is all they need is a great ad campaign and they'll get 10+ million
I disagree, I’m sure that’d help though, but if the genre isn’t something most people care for to begin with it will only help to a certain degree.

Minecraft barely needed advertising, it basically spread through word of mouth alone.

Last edited:
If they hit 5 million, they're doing it wrong.

Leave Housemarque alone! Sony needs at least one developer that doesn't succumb to generic world-class AAA production traits.

I'm not sorry.

Agreed.

Plus 5 Million doesn’t really mean much. What is the size of the development team? What are the costs associated with the development of hte game? What are they looking at for overhead costs? Are there online modes that need infrastructure? How much does that cost and how long is the game itself? Will it have legs to stand on its own and conitnue to be played for years? Or is it more of a one and done deal?

HouseMarque is NOT a large studio and it doesn’t need to be. They don’t need to craft bloated open worlds, but strong memorable level layouts that can be replayed infinitely. Simple, but addictive gameplay loops - these are what the company is known for and why they have continued to succeed for years. They can be highly successful with hundreds of thousands of copies sold because they budget their games well and don’t overly inflate production with pointless fluff or needless employees.

I can’t wait to see what the studio does after Returnal - but I do hope that they return with some variety of “re-release” pack of old classics. Would love to play a PS5 version of Stardust for example :p

Returnal isn't even that hard. You get lucky and pick up a health regenerating artifact or two, leech trait on your weapon, you are literally steamrolling. I really wish they made a NG+ option with a higher difficulty.

Maybe even 10 million + like some of the other sony studios? Their history on playstation have been contained to challenging, lower budget, arcade style games. Stuff like Dead Nation, Resogun, Matterfall, Nex Machina, etc. etc. have all felt like additive titles since sony started offering pure digital releases since the ps3 gen began.

Even now with the breakout critical success of Returnal, their first big budget title, they still didn’t really break out of the million unit bracket that we know of. Do you think with the success of returnal, the bigger install base, and the increased budget that housemarque can ascend to in the sales bracket of sonys other big AAA games or will the niche-like nature and difficulty of their games always turn off more casual gamers?

If so how do we feel about the future of the studio?
Yes

There gonna be like from software. Not be huge immediately but there gonna snowball into a monster over a decade!

I think they might in time… Returnal came out very early into the launch of PS5, when barely anyone had one. The second to second gameplay in Returnal is amazing, but I think they should do a proper 3D-Metroidvania style game without any of the random map nonsense.

Also, if they are given an established IP, they’ll hit that number without issues. I just don’t know what IP could fit their style…

That said, I’ll be happy with a Returnal 2
I’d also love anything from them, as long as it is in the same 3rd person vein of Returnal. Wasn’t a fan of Resogun or any of their previous entries.

Elios83

They can't hope to sell that much if they make games as difficult and unforgiving as Returnal. I mean even the Souls games are far more accessible than what they did with Returnal, thanks to properly placed save points and the possibility to co-op.
They have the talent to have mass market success but they need to go out of their niche, which doesn't mean they have to make a Ubisoft game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ANIMAL1975

Maybe even 10 million + like some of the other sony studios? Their history on playstation have been contained to challenging, lower budget, arcade style games. Stuff like Dead Nation, Resogun, Matterfall, Nex Machina, etc. etc. have all felt like additive titles since sony started offering pure digital releases since the ps3 gen began.

Even now with the breakout critical success of Returnal, their first big budget title, they still didn’t really break out of the million unit bracket that we know of. Do you think with the success of returnal, the bigger install base, and the increased budget that housemarque can ascend to in the sales bracket of sonys other big AAA games or will the niche-like nature and difficulty of their games always turn off more casual gamers?

If so how do we feel about the future of the studio?

I don't see why not, and to all the people saying no please let them doing their games _ in my opinion they're in a position now where they can do for instance a Dead Nation sequel, and also pass the 5 million sales, don't need to do AAA for that. They already earn the name and the work recognition.

I'd love a Dead Nation 2 by the way Housemarque if it wasn't clear.

Last edited:

tommib

I think they might in time… Returnal came out very early into the launch of PS5, when barely anyone had one. The second to second gameplay in Returnal is amazing, but I think they should do a proper 3D-Metroidvania style game without any of the random map nonsense.

Also, if they are given an established IP, they’ll hit that number without issues. I just don’t know what IP could fit their style…

That said, I’ll be happy with a Returnal 2
I’d also love anything from them, as long as it is in the same 3rd person vein of Returnal. Wasn’t a fan of Resogun or any of their previous entries.
Returnal 2 is not happening. Krueger has said that from the beginning. It was a total wet dream project with unlimited funds but a one and done experience.

Mahavastu

Any Returnal numbers?

I think they have a big potential, Returnal was excellent
a few months after release of the game they sold "only" 500k copies.
But: it is a rather niche game, and it was a PS5 exclusive at a time, when not that many PS5 were arround. And now it is on PS+

I did not buy it because I thought it would be too hard. But I play it now via PS+ for about 2 months, 400 runs in and only managed to reach the 5th level (and die during first enemy contact). So yes, I am not really the target group, because the game is too hard for me :messenger_winking_tongue:

So what will happen with the next game? I doubt they will reach 5mio copies, but I guess the next game will sell MUCH better, because Returnal was IMHO extremely good, more PS5's arround and now they are 1st party, so probably more marketing.
But 5mio Copies? Don't think this will happen...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To be fair, HouseMarque never made games to be massive success.

I hope they retain their formula and still make it big; their gameplay "fun level" is just unmatched.

Fromsoft kind of hit that well before Elden Ring. Dark Souls and Sekiro are challenging as hell and they all did over 5 million copies.

They're also multiplatform.

We'll see how well Returnal does on PC and then we'll see how much budget and what direction they go into with their next game, right now there are only a handful of studios within PlayStation that can put out 5 million sellers on a predictable basis.

I do think that ultimately, they're going to be built out to be the next tier of developer for Sony, along with Bluepoint.

S Tier
Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica

A Tier
Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch

B Tier
Polyphony Digital, Media Molecule

C Tier
Bluepoint, Housemarque, San Diego, Team Asobi

D Tier
Bend, Firesprite

Rankings based on commercial success in the last 10 years, balanced with critical acclaim and consistency.

Definitions
S Tier - High likelihood of releasing a GOTY candidate AND a game to sell 15+ million copies
A Tier - moderate likelihood of releasing a GOTY candidate AND a game to sell 10+ million copies
B Tier - Games either have extremely high critical acclaim or have the likelihood of selling over 5 million copies
C Tier - Have not consistently put out games with both critical acclaim and high sales
D Tier - Haven't had consistent output, quality, or sales

tommib

We'll see how well Returnal does on PC and then we'll see how much budget and what direction they go into with their next game, right now there are only a handful of studios within PlayStation that can put out 5 million sellers on a predictable basis.

I do think that ultimately, they're going to be built out to be the next tier of developer for Sony, along with Bluepoint.

S Tier

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier
Bend, Firesprite

Rankings based on commercial success in the last 10 years, balanced with critical acclaim and consistency.

Definitions
S Tier - High likelihood of releasing a GOTY candidate AND a game to sell 15+ million copies
A Tier - moderate likelihood of releasing a GOTY candidate AND a game to sell 10+ million copies
B Tier - Games either have extremely high critical acclaim or have the likelihood of selling over 5 million copies
C Tier - Have not consistently put out games with both critical acclaim and high sales
This is silly. Returnal won several BAFTA awards including best game. BAFTAs are arguably the most prestigious awards at the moment. There are no tiers in PlayStation Studios.

S Tier

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier
Bend, Firesprite

Definitions

Seems about right

This is silly. Returnal won several BAFTA awards including best game. BAFTAs are arguably the most prestigious awards at the moment. There are no tiers in PlayStation Studios.
If you think Housemarque is getting Naughty Dog budgets you’re delusional.

Return Al winning awards doesn’t mean Housemarque gets whatever budget they want.

yurinka

I think Returnal may end doing 5M after its full lifetime, and if not their next game because Returnal was released when a too small userbase was available.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Housemarque is as close as anyone has ever come to make the first fully functional and awesome non-first person 3D Metroidvania the hobby has seen - with Returnal. All the pieces are there, mysterious alien planet, weapon upgrades, suit upgrades, gear to reach specific areas, grapple, water level, platforming, bosses, exploration without hand-holding.
Just add save rooms and doors that let you traverse back to previous maps without dying and losing your progress.

This. Just keep it difficult and they could have a pure masterpiece on their hands. Cannot wait to see what they have next.

It will be interesting to see what Sony do with them.
They wernt a big studio, so maybe Sony might build them into a bigger studio.

Top Bottom