• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think PS5 will continue breaking sales records?

Do you think PS5 will continue breaking sales record as PS4 did?

• Yes, and will dominate more than PS4

Votes: 100 40.5%
  • Maybe some of them but competition will be closer this gen

Votes: 103 41.7%
  • No, Sony is doomed

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Phil just bought my mom

Votes: 22 8.9%

• Total voters

Aladin

In terms of console market share,
If Console market grows at 15%,
PS5 : 95mn + 15%
Xbox Series : 65mn + 15%

In terms of gaming divison level Revenue and profitability,
I see Xbox division beating Playstation within span of 3 financial years, unless playstation also consolidates and becomes a bigger player.

Aladin

This will be the longest generation ever. New SSDs and much more powerful CPUs will keep developers happy for a long time. The only problem might be the Series S holding things back at the tail end of the generation.
Defining a generation is a grey territory. I see tech itself stagnating, and hence a long generation.

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't think Sony will reach PS4 sales and i think Microsoft will sell around 50% more Series than Xbox One, but Sony will still "win" because auf PC Ports and xCloud. Nintendo will be a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

protonion

Ps5 hype is unreal right now.
I know a few people working in big stores and they have never experienced anything like this.
Combine this with a killer launch window line up....

I expect year 1 and 2 to be huge (40 mil).

After that we will see.

I don't expect any sales records. Too expensive.
Launching at the same price point as the PS4 did with pre-order demand through the roof and selling out within 3 hours here in NZ?

Meanwhile there are Xbox consoles sitting on online store shelves almost 24 hours after pre-orders went live.

Last edited:
Ah yes, having a list of PS4 games is a massive reason to buy a PS5 lol.

You think MS bought Zenimax to still release all their games on playstation in the future? Oh you poor thing.
PS4 attach rate sits at 9.6 games per console so yes lol PlayStation users will carry over to PS5 because they invested lots of money into the platform already.
Its not rocket science.

MrFunSocks

Banned
As opposed to having a bunch of Xbox One games being a massive reason to buy The Series X?
I'm not the one making that argument, but nice try I guess.

PS4 attach rate sits at 9.6 games per console so yes lol PlayStation users will carry over to PS5 because they invested lots of money into the platform already.
Its not rocket science.
No-one plays old games though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But you are. You are just too fucking stupid to see it.
lol not sure where you got that from.

The list of games releasing on XBSX aren't a good reason to buy it either IMO. Hell I won't be buying a single game on launch day, I'll be playing PUBG with hopefully a stable framerate finally lol.

The PS5 will sell gangbusters, I suspect better than the PS4, but it really does depend on just how much Microsoft want to commit to a hostile takeover of gaming. If they were to buy EA and Activision, then everyone else is fucked.

As things stand right now though, Playstation's fuck ups so far have been minor, while their successes have been extremely well received. I don't think they have to worry about selling consoles and dominating the market any time soon.

MS is a trickier one to guess at the success of though. It could well be they've spent enough money to get a shortcut to success, and all those studios they bought will churn out bangers, while the cheap barrier to entry will entice more people than last gen over.

Of course it all depends on those purchases, and for that, we just can't tell yet.

If we go off passed precedent, then I'm not confident.

Fans of the recent acquisitions seem to forget that MS is not the same as Xbox.

MS has money to burn, and everything they've ever spent on Xbox is small change to them. 7.5 billion was just a cheeky little side bet.

Xbox conversly, well, we still don't know for sure if the division has ever made a profit, and for the entire last generation (and actually even several years before even that) they've handled their games and studios with broad incompetence, delivering mostly underwhelming games, often in a terrible technical state at launch, and shown no real clear vision for what they want their games to be or how they're managing them.properly.

It's yet to be seen whether Xbox will turn that around their new games will turn out better.

What's more, it will likely be the games started after the acquisitions that will be the proof in the puddings. The new studios first releases will have been started and organised without Xbox running the show.

Good Lord, the Zenimax acquisition really sent the fanboys into a panic.

Would everyone just take a deep breathe please? Both companies are better off - and so are we as gamers/consumers - with healthy competition. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
So far all I see from MS are more promises and they`ve already shot themselves into the foot with that weak pos series S.
Maybe the situation will change in 2-3 years if that Zenimax acquisition pays off, but for the foreseeable future I see a continuation of the 2-3 to 1 sales trend we`ve seen with the PS4 and the X1.

Last edited:

kyoji

Always next year huh? and next next year after that? and please wait a little longer? Hey look good on microsoft for purchasing some studios, But lets not beat around the bush. Out of the 3 console manufacturers MS needed to upgrade by FAR the most. The fact that there releases slowed down so much towards the end of current gen and their 1st party STILL was not going to be ready for the start of next gen is alarming in comparison to sony. But hey lets ignore whats been really going on up until this point and continue to give them a pass on what if's and whats supposively coming to be while trying to downplay proven track records. Respect is earned not given. That goes to say for anything.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Launching at the same price point as the PS4 did with pre-order demand through the roof and selling out within 3 hours here in NZ?

Meanwhile there are Xbox consoles sitting on online store shelves almost 24 hours after pre-orders went live.

First off, get your facts right. The PS5 is not the same price as the PS4. The main version is 499$. And it's widely reported Sony pushed more disk base units by a considerable margin.

Secondly, Xbox consoles are sold out as well now. Who the hell cares if it's 3 hours or 24h. Seriously, are we going to make a preorders war now...

What matters are real sales. We ALL know those systems will be sold out at launch. Next Gen is not going to be decided during holiday 2020. This is a long term play.

Competition will be much closer than last gen. I predict MS will reach/exceed their X360 numbers. Not sure whether they'll sell 100M for the first time - but since they're practically giving away the S/X + gamepass, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

PS5 will hit 100M minimum, regardless of how well Xbox do. That's a certainty.

For the first time, I think we might actually have a generation where all parties are delivering great value. If you asked me a week ago, I'd say MS has no chance, as the lack of quality exclusive content is hurting them. But the game's changed now. Though 2-3 years wait to see what impact these studio purchases have.

I think that the ps5 will beat the PS4 and probably in the software attach rate thanks to the de (if any can be found). The hunger is there, just see how the world is reacting to any Sony next gen news, game clips or YouTube shows

I also believe that this could be ms’s 360 generation all over again and we will see far more sales of their consoles this time. Certainly the series S has the potential to be a great user driver for them, even as a second console. At least for the first couple of years and until the new gen truly finds its feet. Much better messaging and no ‘tv,tv,tv...’ or Kinect focus is instantly a better starting place this time around. No confusing mixed messages and lack of answers this time.

there is also the switch out there and it’s doing gang busters, still. Which to me indicates that although targeting mostly a different market, that gamers (customers) will go were the experiences and games are

the hardware is the most exciting, with the most potential that has been seen for many years (maybe even an upgraded switch will turn up),from all the big players

it’s just down to the software to deliver and provide those experiences that draw in the players both old and new alike

game on as they say (can’t wait as a gamer, to see where this next road takes us all)

Birdo

Banned
The price is too high to break records.

You can't judge by a console launch, due to most early adopters being the kinds of people who post on here. Once the hype initial wave is over, I think there will be a huge slowdown of next-gen console sales.

Launch aligned or even in total sales PS4 broke many records for home console history. Selling consoles, selling games. Even with game subscriptions, in users, in revenue, in profit. In mostly everything. And if not it's a close 2nd being PS2 on top of it.

As an example, it had the best launch selling a million consoles on day one, 4.2M in a month and a half and ~7M in the first ~4 months and a half, until the end if their 1st fiscal year. And ~14M on its first full year.

Having Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Cyberpunk, Sackboy, AC Vallhalla, CoD Cold War, Watchdogs, Godfall, Devil May Cry V Special Edition and so on, in addition to the dozen or so of great PS4 games included in the PS5 PS+ collection at launch and BC with boost mode, plus games coming for its first year like Ratchet & Clank, Horizon 2, Returnal, God of War 2 and maybe Gran Turismo 7 plus timed exclusives in the horizon like Final Fantasy VII Remake episode 2 and Final Fantasy XVI, do you think PS5 is going to outsell these PS4 numbers?

How do you think it compares to the launch lineup of Series X and their announced games or its first year? What big games are going to move Xbox Series X and Game Pass at launch and the during first year?

Do you think PS5 are going to continue their lead of selling the double or more units than Xbox? Do you think Series X or Game Pass is going to block that? If so, since the start or maybe will start to doing it on late 2022 or 2023, once MS starts releasing their non crossgen console exclusives?

I think that PS5 sells more than PS4

I think that xbox x sells same as one

Why?

PS5 preorders sold out in 30s to few minutes
Now next batches say they are available january - march 2021

So PS5 is sold out for 2-5 months already here*

It is almost 27 hours from xbox pre-orders opening and both versions are still available to order.

*Maybe they get more units to physical stores but they will go fast too

Last edited:
More expensive console, more expensive games, plus a global recession that isn't set to end anytime soon? Long term, I kind of doubt it. It will still sell gangbusters at launch, of course.

Last edited:

martino

i see nothing to stop this train and begin of the gen can have an impact for the second half of it.
There are also lot of ways third party can react to MS move (and difference in hardware sales in frist years can play a role too)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Why?

It is almost 27 hours from xbox pre-orders opening and both versions are still available to order.

You know how much consoles they had? Caause as far as I know MS started manufactuared consoles sooner. But you could be right, however pretty important metric is missing.

Depends on how Sony stocks up for the middle stage of the gen where the console usually hits apex. That's when MS exclusive content will start to trickle in. Their marketing has a harder job on their hands in the NA market now. Sony has the larger mindshare but they don't produce as many headlines in the American press as the home boys. That's an issue they sorely need to fix. One way to stay ahead of the curve that the previous team used was user engagement across the board. They'll need that a lot. Eric's marketing team is a joke from my initial impressions however. In Europe and Asia it won't matter. In NA, marketing will decide a lot in 2022/2023/2024, crucial years to hit new sales milestones. Out the gate they'll handily beat MS, including in NA.

Last edited:

yurinka

You think MS bought Zenimax to still release all their games on playstation in the future? Oh you poor thing.
They did it with Minecraft, so could do it again. MS said that once the Zenimax PS5 timed consoles exclusives run out, they will consider exclusivity for each game on a case by case.

The two more or less recent Zenimax huge seller IPs, Elder Scrolls and Fallout, surely made a huge % of their revenue on PlayStation. This means a huge % of the Zenimax revenue came from PS. So I assume they will keep Elder Scrolls and Fallout on PS (maybe after a timed console exclusive on Xbox) while the other Zenimax titles would be full console exclusives. If over time they adapt their games to Game Pass, which would mean to make them GaaS to reduce the cost of releasing a game and to focus on more paid DLCs/expansions not included in Game Pass to compensate Game Pass will highly decrease their revenue coming from full price game sales, they will need as much as players as possible, which again would make sense to add PS into the mix.

I assume at least Halo, Forza, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will become GaaS since they are the ones with a bigger potential to put there a huge userbase.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 pre-orders looked way higher than Xbox.
So yes I believe Sony will set records again.

There is just more interest in PS5 than Series X/S.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It has already begun.

PS5 is well ahead in every region, they sold out in seconds and minutes vs Xbox selling in hours and over a day.
Despite Xbox being artificially supply constrained .

This generation will be even worse for Xbox, PlayStation have sequels due for all their major properties and massive bombs to drop with nostalgic value that cannot be replicated.

Xbox can keep spending but it's like emptying a sinking boat with a small bucket, pointless. It will cost them a lot more than 7.5 billion to even get close to competing.
The brand is dead in Europe, Middle East and Asia.

Time for them to consider their future.

yurinka

Secondly, the best seller in town is Nintendo and it's not even close. The Switch will probably sell 26 to 28 millions units this fiscal year. You can expect another 23 to 25 million next year with Breath of the Wild 2 and the Switch Pro. No way Sony can match those numbers.
Switch sells more because of its position on its life cycle. Aligning sales PS5 sold more, and doesn't seem realistic to see them selling 26 to 28M Switches this fiscal year.
image.png

image.png

Aren’t the top 5 consoles sold PS2, PS4, PS1, Wii and PS3?

I’m sure some sort of record or other will be broken as the PS5 joins the other Playstations but maybe not to the level of the PS2 on an apples to apples comparison.
Yes, but you have to consider that PS4 is the only one of that list that is still selling, while the other ones completed their life cycle. As you can see in the graphs above PS4 is still selling and will continue selling during several years.

And aligning sales, it's selling better than PS2 compared to how PS2 was at this point of its life cycle (see 1st graph). And looking at the 2nd graph, at least until now PS4 had a very similar path than the PS2, and PS4 has an extra: it's still $300 so there's room for price cuts so sales bumps in the future.

Ah yes, having a list of PS4 games is a massive reason to buy a PS5 lol.
Well, MS said that during 2 years (so until at least mid November 2022) their games will be cross-gen. EA Play put their games there a year after their release and I'd say they don't have any next gen only AAA for this or next year. The next two Zenimax games have timed console exclusive on PS5.

This means that until at least very late 2022, Xbox won't have next gen only AAA games on Game Pass, but some people talks as if it's going to move Xboxes, when during a couple of year its big games are going to be last gen or cross gen games.

In PS5 they will get almost 20 of the best games of the last gen for the subscription most people already pays to play online. So would be like a smaller Game Pass without needing to pay Game Pass on top of Gold. Something great for people who will jump to PS5 having skipped PS4, or for those who upgrade from PS4 to PS5 and will need some time to buy new games because of economics.

Last edited:

RafterXL

People have short memories if they think we'll see a repeat, or worse, of this gen. Microsoft did everything possible wrong at the start of last gen and short of Halo getting bumped they've done everything right for this gen.

Worldwide Sony will still win, but in the States I think XSX/S will sell more just like the 360, or do people forget the PS3/360 was a dead heat?

Bryank75

Banned
People have short memories if they think we'll see a repeat, or worse, of this gen. Microsoft did everything possible wrong at the start of last gen and short of Halo getting bumped they've done everything right for this gen.

Worldwide Sony will still win, but in the States I think XSX/S will sell more just like the 360, or do people forget the PS3/360 was a dead heat?
You think now, that people have catalogs, friends and are expecting GOW2, Horizon and Spider-man 2 etc etc, that they will all change to Xbox?
They would need a really great reason.

Maybe they will make up some ground with new or younger gamers..who knows.
I do however think Sony shouldn't take things for granted.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sony has the popularity and the momentum with the average consumer and will likely keep it going.. if you look at their revenue numbers for the last quarter vs Xbox it was a massive difference.

Huge swaths of the world just don't care about XBox, and it hurts MS's ability to grow or even sustain.

I think MS is talking a good game right now and has a bunch of quality studios, but their output is still unknown or years off... Sony in the mean time will likely easily dominate, and IMO it will be worse than last gen. Despite the flop that was MS's messaging they still had some momentum from the 360 generation going with average consumers who aren't internet savvy and hearing the latest news. Those same people aren't necessarily hearing about acquisitions or anything good about MS... the most prominent internet talk about Xbox in the last few months has been Craig memes.

The above is said despite me wanting MS to succeed for various reasons, mostly because I think competition is healthy.. but partly because I live in Seattle and work in tech so MS doing well is good for me lol

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I'd say Sony will dominate worldwide again but my guess is that Xbox will claw back *some* marketshare in the territories they lost by not releasing the Xbox One here until a year after the fact.

Xbox One lost not only because it was a less desirable console than the PS4, but also because it simply wasn't available here in the Netherlands until a year after the PS4. Same for a dozen other European markets. By the time they actually could be assed to release here, the war was already lost long ago.

Allandor

The choices are really fanboyish. I can't choose a simple no without saying "sony is doomed". That does not make sense.
So my answer is no, I don't think so. Covid19 is a big factor here where many people just can't afford a expensive console. My guess would be, that sales for PS4 and xb1 will still be really good.
And Sony is not doomed because of this.

thelastword

Banned
PS5 will dominate even more than PS4...in these areas..

1.) Exclusive AAA games
2.) Better variety and unique/novel gameplay in their exclusives, higher risk taking.
3.) Higher sales for the hardware and First party software, they will break all these records broken this gen yet again...

MrFunSocks

Banned
They did it with Minecraft, so could do it again. MS said that once the Zenimax PS5 timed consoles exclusives run out, they will consider exclusivity for each game on a case by case.

The two more or less recent Zenimax huge seller IPs, Elder Scrolls and Fallout, surely made a huge % of their revenue on PlayStation. This means a huge % of the Zenimax revenue came from PS. So I assume they will keep Elder Scrolls and Fallout on PS (maybe after a timed console exclusive on Xbox) while the other Zenimax titles would be full console exclusives. If over time they adapt their games to Game Pass, which would mean to make them GaaS to reduce the cost of releasing a game and to focus on more paid DLCs/expansions not included in Game Pass to compensate Game Pass will highly decrease their revenue coming from full price game sales, they will need as much as players as possible, which again would make sense to add PS into the mix.

I assume at least Halo, Forza, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls and Fallout will become GaaS since they are the ones with a bigger potential to put there a huge userbase.
So you think they’ll put their biggest games on the competing consoles too? Don’t you think that they’re the games that they’d withhold because they are the ones that would make people buy an Xbox if they were exclusive?

Minecraft is a beast of its own, and was too big to make exclusive. It’s literally one of the best selling games of all time. It’s best not to use it as the basis of your assumptions because it’s a one in a million unique case.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It will sell a lot but won’t get near PS4. PC market grows year after year, and Xbox will steal back some market share due to Jim Ryan’s blunders and misinformation. Switch has also eaten into the JRPG market that Sony had a monopoly on so those users are less inclined to own a Playstation.

JLB

Banned
There is some wishful thinking that PS5 will dominate even more than PS4.
PS4 compete again a more expensive, less powerful, universally criticized machine.
Now MS has Gamepass, the lowest entry price console, 23 fucking studios, the most powerful console.
No chance.

Orky

Banned

Why?

well, this could also mean that Sony just didn’t produce a lot of units. It’s easy to sell out in a few minutes, if you have a low amount of units.
You don’t know. We don’t know

what we DO know is That:

1: Sony won’t launch wordwide at the same date, whereas MS DOES, which could mean that MS can produce more units, since they can easily sell worldwide at the same date, Sony can’t.

2: Sony is actually DELAYING preorders. There are people on Reddit that preorders right when the preorders opened and they received an email saying that their console will be delayed and delivered mid-December. Why is that?

DocRay

1: Sony won’t launch wordwide at the same date, whereas MS DOES, which could mean that MS can produce more units, since they can easily sell worldwide at the same date, Sony can’t.

2: Sony is actually DELAYING preorders. There are people on Reddit that preorders right when the preorders opened and they received an email saying that their console will be delayed and delivered mid-December. Why is that?

First point it´s pure marketing, You have to launch at the same time that you competitor, where the battle is going to be more difficult. They send more consoles to territories where xbox is stronger...think in the little boy that want a Xbox for holidays, go to the store, and its sold out, you see a new playstation and buy it because there´s stock...

I think all the preorders are going to be fullfiled, but that´s me XD.

yurinka

So you think they’ll put their biggest games on the competing consoles too? Don’t you think that they’re the games that they’d withhold because they are the ones that would make people buy an Xbox if they were exclusive?

Minecraft is a beast of its own, and was too big to make exclusive. It’s literally one of the best selling games of all time. It’s best not to use it as the basis of your assumptions because it’s a one in a million unique case.
I think Elder Scrolls and Fallout are a very similar case for Microsoft than Minecraft, or like Marvel or Star Wars for Disney. They generate an insane amount of revenue, very likely the majority of the revenue they generate, in other platforms.

So at least until they get back the huge amount of money they invested on buying that, it makes sense for them to keep these huge IPs in other platforms, even if it's with a timed console exclusive on Xbox.

The other Zenimax IPs and games sold way less in other consoles (maybe Doom Eternal is the exception because it sold 3 million in the launch month so it has potential for huge sales), had a way smaller userbase in the other consoles so maybe it's ok to use them as exclusive. The amount of people upset about it and the amount of revenue that they wouldn't generate on other places would be manageable.

YoodlePro

These are the times that GAF shows it's primarily a US forum with a majority of US members.
Outside the US, PlayStation is THE console gaming brand.
Outlier hardcore Xbox fans from the 360 days, power users and some poor souls here and there game only on Xbox in pretty much the rest of the world. Otherwise, people who buy Xbox buy it alongside a PS5, for the occasional xbox exclusive (this might change in the future, looking at you Bethesda).
So yes, PS5 PS6 and how many PSs will be made will dominate worldwide with little to no difficulty.

Top Bottom