• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony is developing a fantasy RPG?

Castef

Banned
I was wondering if Sony is developing its own fantasy RPG for PS5 (or PC/PS5).

I mean, a classic fantasy game in the vein of The Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/The Witcher/Ultima, etc, etc.

With open world/quests/inventory, maybe even a party and so on.

So, you get it. :)

(and no, Demon's Soul does not count... while, actually, an open-world RPG set in the very same world would be huge and interesting...)

S77

I hope not, all those RPGs are dogshit compared to Demon's Souls. All I want is for Sony to contract From Software again for another masterpiece for another generation, that's it.

vkbest

I hope not, all those RPGs are dogshit compared to Demon's Souls. All I want is for Sony to contract From Software again for another masterpiece for another generation, that's it.

Dragon age origins is pretty better for me than Demons souls or any souls. Besides I can’t understand you are trying to say. Sony can develop a fantasy RPG internally (example Sony japan) and get a contract with From to get other souls like game.

From currently want develop exclusive console game even?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nobody knows. wait and see...

i can't think of any Sony studios who can make a good open world RPG though. Horizon is probably the closest to a good one but that had a lot of major flaws.

Reactions: MrS

R6Rider

Gold Member

i can't think of any Sony studios who can make a good open world RPG though. Horizon is probably the closest to a good one but that had a lot of major flaws.

I think there are multiple Sony studios that could pull off a great fantasy RPG, even open world.

Aion002

I hope so!

SIE Japan Studio they made or helped make:

Legend of Dragoon
Jeanne d'Arc
ICO
Shadow of Colossus
Rogue Galaxy
Folklore
White Knight Chronicles
Demon's Souls
Soul Sacrifice
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Freedom Wars
Bloodborne

Which also has the division Team Siren/Gravity that is led by Keiichiro Toyama, the "creator" of Silent Hill.

If 400 people that worked on so many "RPG" games plus the creator of a beloved franchise like Silent Hill, that is a veteran in the industry and also made Siren and Gravity Rush (different types of games) can't make a freaking good RPG..... I am not sure that a studio that only made racing games can revive a dead franchise like Fable. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
I want someone to compete with Bethesda. Give me a not broken Elder Scrolls or Fallout game please.

Supposedly, that’s what Obsidian is planning on doing, making Bethesda style RPGs. And honestly, even though The Outer Worlds was a bit clunky and had limited AI movement (making the world feel lifeless) I feel it had also gotten a gameplay loop that felt close to a Bethesda style RPG. Supposedly, they also have a fantasy RPG in the works, but nobody knows if that will be a Bethesda style RPG.

Guilty_AI

I think there are multiple Sony studios that could pull off a great fantasy RPG, even open world.
Its not that easy to pull off a great fantasy RPG, especially considering major sony first parties seem to specialize in cinematic games. At best it could be a JRPG by some japanese studio or a pseudo-rpg like Horizon ZD.
If they're really making one, i don't think it'd be by a first party studio. Of course there could be studios trying new things too, but i'd be doubtful about the quality of the end product then.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bluepoint Games working on two games? Demon's Souls and an unannounced title?
I remember some commenters speculated that it could be a Legend of Dragoon remake. 🐉🐲

Vawn

Banned
While I'd love even more RPGs, Sony really doesn't need to develop first-party JRPGs because they get basically all third-party JRPGs, many of which choose to be PlayStation exclusives on their own.

JRPG players are already committed to PlayStation compared to Xbox because of games like Dragon Quest, Persona and Disgaea. If Microsoft restarts their efforts like they did early 360 with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, maybe Sony should reconsider.

Castef

Banned
While I'd love even more RPGs, Sony really doesn't need to develop first-party JRPGs because they get basically all third-party JRPGs, many of which choose to be PlayStation exclusives on their own.

Mmmh... not talking about "JRPGs" here, meaning games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy (even though the term has become quite "fluid" recently).

I was talking about open world RPGs a la Dragon Age, Skyrim or even Dragon's Dogma (a good example of a game in this genre developed by a japanese software house)

I hope so!

Legend of Dragoon
Jeanne d'Arc

Two of my all-time favorite games. Both Legend of Dargoon and Jeanne d'Arc need sequels, and if that can't be done, then they both need proper remakes.

Last edited:
I hope so!

Legend of Dragoon
Jeanne d'Arc
ICO
Shadow of Colossus
Rogue Galaxy
Folklore
White Knight Chronicles
Demon's Souls
Soul Sacrifice
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Freedom Wars
Bloodborne

Which also has the division Team Siren/Gravity that is led by Keiichiro Toyama, the "creator" of Silent Hill.

If 400 people that worked on so many "RPG" games plus the creator of a beloved franchise like Silent Hill, that is a veteran in the industry and also made Siren and Gravity Rush (different types of games) can't make a freaking good RPG..... I am not sure that a studio that only made racing games can revive a dead franchise like Fable. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Cmon now clearly the newly established studios by Microsoft will magically make better games that wow people more than the industry defining studios Sony has had for decades and has been pumping out hit after hit. Phil is just gonna make it happen just like he did Xbox one gen. I mean they released 12 exclusives can you believe that?!?

I will ask my uncle.
The dog of my coworker said he knows a guy from Nintendo who knew Iwata and knows Yoshida, and he said definitely yes. It's based on Legend of Zelda meets Shadow of the Colossus and Souls Series. Dark Phantasy. He said there are dark elves dubbed by white people.

MrS

Banned
Who would make it? Can't see it happening as third parties are more experienced, and therefor better, at it. Sony should stay in their lane with 3rd person action/adventure games as it's clearly a winning formula. Just keep refining it.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Mmmh... not talking about "JRPGs" here, meaning games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy (even though the term has become quite "fluid" recently).

I was talking about open world RPGs a la Dragon Age, Skyrim or even Dragon's Dogma (a good example of a game in this genre developed by a japanese software house)

I don't know how much fantasy is in Ghost of Tsushima, but that seems to be an open-world RPG. Horizon is a sci-fi open-world RPG. I don't know if adding a medieval fantasy RPG in a similar style would benefit them a lot.

Eanox

I want Sony to create one. A true RPG not pseudo-RPG.
A game that has a deep customization of skills, armors, weapons and involves crafting and looting feature.

and I want sony to develop Legend of Dragoon, wild arms and Dark Cloud again.

I was wondering if Sony is developing its own fantasy RPG for PS5 (or PC/PS5).

I mean, a classic fantasy game in the vein of The Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/The Witcher/Ultima, etc, etc.

With open world/quests/inventory, maybe even a party and so on.

So, you get it. :)

(and no, Demon's Soul does not count... while, actually, an open-world RPG set in the very same world would be huge and interesting...)

No clue, but I know for a fact Obsidian is making a Elder Scrolls equivalent/style RPG for Microsoft on XSX and PC as one of their Major Projecta.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wish because with those studios they could make one hell of a fantasy RPG. It's one area they have neglected for a long time.

bitbydeath

Project Awakening.

images

Hopefully we’ll see more at Sonys next showing/TGS.

Kumomeme

we look how Ghost of Tushima perform...if it goes well lets hope they expand the knowledge into fantasy rpg setting for next game

probably coming at end of PS5's final year

Aion002

Are we expecting great things from a mobile game developer on thier first PS title?
Second.

Re-link is coming.

Also, not any mobile game developer, one of the biggest that has so much money that they made a studio in Osaka (Cygames Osaka) just to develop console games. Cygames has so much money that they even sponsor Juventus FC (a huge soccer team that has as the main player Cristiano Ronaldo (5 times best soccer player in the world)).

wqpb5dj78ka11.jpg

Their mobile games are great and they definetly won't disappoint on the console space! (I hope...)

Also... They are not Chinese, they are Japanese. So no CCP in case someone worries about that...

Last edited:
Top Bottom