• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the first trailer for halo infinite was misleading?

Umbasaborne

Banned
The first trailer for halo infinite, shown at microsofts e3 2018 press conference, shows a lot of neat things that dont seem to be in the final product, judging by campaign previews. There is weather, large fauna, a desert biome (halo infinites campaigns only biome is the pacific north west one) and even what seems to be underwater exploration. All of this was running “in engine” on the new slip space space engine, but the final product, while certainly looking better than last years showing, doesent look nearly as crisp as that in engine trailer does, on to of the other missing stuff from that original trailer. In a way im reminded of the first few trailers for no mans sky, which features concepts and ai systems which would not make it into the final game, hell sand worms only made it in recently and they are way less impressive than those shown in the first nms trailer.

now, and this is important HALO INFINITE IS GOOD, THE CAMPAIGN WILL LIKELY BE VERY GOOD, WHILE I AM DISSAPOINTED IN MISSING FEATURES I THINK THE GAME WILL BE VERY GOOD REGARDLESS.

I am not making this thread in bad faith, im making it because i dislike the trend of games being shown off as cg “in engine” trailers that are way more visually impressive and complex than what ends up releasing. Halo infinite is not the first, its following the lineage of no mans sky, cyberpunk, watchdogs, final fantasy xv, and a plethura of other games that were seemingly less impressive than their initial trailers. I just want that trend to end.

elliot5

Not really any more misleading than any other reveal trailer that's more or less a concept trailer and primarily for announcing and getting people to join the dev team.

It's not like they BSed gameplay or anything. Thinking Ubisoft rainbow six siege and all that.

3 years is quite a long time and everything is subject to change then.

God of War had bow and arrow aiming and stat leveling up in the reveal trailer. Though admittedly the end product was still fairly close to what was shown.

The "target in engine" trailers are just an early method devs can must use. There's factors like new console/graphics hardware still being finalised so they have to basically brute force with high end spec PCs running their very early engines and game builds to even get those trailers to us. I do want the curated version we saw but within the next 1-2 years it will be very close to that IMO. At launch it's not that far off, the delay appears to have helped tremendously. I'd be kidding myself if I didn't say I called it years ago as being too much for 343 to tackle a new Xbox S/X platform, new engine, new campaign and new multiplayer though.

It's a far sight better than just a CGI trailer, so some perspective from gamers is appreciated in terms of what gets shown vs what gets delivered.

343 have done plenty to get ready for launch, they've gimped the launch once again in terms of certain changes, missing features and missing modes but what they have produced so far makes me feel good about where they're at and more importantly where the game is possibly heading post launch.

Final review says 35% misleading. Beyond just the simulation/graphics analysis there's sort of this "wonder" to that first trailer that's not really there. Common for marketing to tap into something they create just to push out there rather than really understanding the core customer experience and desire. Marketing hypes its own desire in a consumer.

EDIT: Same as us never getting Poncho Chief in the desert fighting a Guardian.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Do you mean the video with all the animals, rhino's and stuff?, becaue i'm pretty sure that was more of a engine tech demo more than an actual demonstaration of the Halo Infinite we would be getting. Things change over years when it comes to final content in games. In fact i'm pretty sure i read that tech demo wasnt even done by 343, it was outsourced.

Also according to some of the preview vids, they could only show footage from the first 2 levels, whatever that entails. So i think we should wait for the game before writing off mising content. 343 did confirm months ago 'multiple biomes'.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
The "target in engine" trailers are just an early method devs can must use. There's factors like new console/graphics hardware still being finalised so they have to basically brute force with high end spec PCs running their very early engines and game builds to even get those trailers to us. I do want the curated version we saw but within the next 1-2 years it will be very close to that IMO. At launch it's not that far off, the delay appears to have helped tremendously. I'd be kidding myself if I didn't say I called it years ago as being too much for 343 to tackle a new Xbox S/X platform, new engine, new campaign and new multiplayer though.

It's a far sight better than just a CGI trailer, so some perspective from gamers is appreciated in terms of what gets shown vs what gets delivered.

343 have done plenty to get ready for launch, they've gimped the launch once again in terms of certain changes, missing features and missing modes but what they have produced so far makes me feel good about where they're at and more importantly where the game is possibly heading post launch.

Final review says 35% misleading. Beyond just the simulation/graphics analysis there's sort of this "wonder" to that first trailer that's not really there. Common for marketing to tap into something they create just to push out there rather than really understanding the core customer experience and desire. Marketing hypes its own desire in a consumer.
I think thats a large thing that seems to be missing for me as well. We will know when we get the game in our hands, but the scope and mystery from that first trailer doesnt seem to be there. I hope im wrong. And while i am trying my best to be understanding of the difficulties of game dev, i cant help but feel dissapointed that its kind of launching incomplete, many games seem to get away with that these days and i dont like that trend

I think thats a large thing that seems to be missing for me as well. We will know when we get the game in our hands, but the scope and mystery from that first trailer doesnt seem to be there. I hope im wrong. And while i am trying my best to be understanding of the difficulties of game dev, i cant help but feel dissapointed that its kind of launching incomplete, many games seem to get away with that these days and i dont like that trend
It's not an ideal trend but games are just so complex and detailed these days it's almost amazing how they get developed by hundreds/thousands of dedicated people. When I think of MCC I cringe at the thought of waiting 4-5 years for it to get great. When I think of my time spent in say Apex Legends launch vs Apex now and I'm quite happy at that 2 year run and the game evolving all that time. Halo 5 launched fairly incomplete too but modes like Firefight were amazing to receive for free approx 1-1.5 years post launch. MCC still gets free maps and updates etc. It's an unwelcomed feeling at launch but over say the next 2-5 years it's a pretty warm Halo blanket to have wrapped around your Halo Infinite gaming future.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Not really any more misleading than any other reveal trailer that's more or less a concept trailer and primarily for announcing and getting people to join the dev team.

It's not like they BSed gameplay or anything. Thinking Ubisoft rainbow six siege and all that.

3 years is quite a long time and everything is subject to change then.

God of War had bow and arrow aiming and stat leveling up in the reveal trailer. Though admittedly the end product was still fairly close to what was shown.
Thats very true, i suppose its just been a very long time of me getting really excited over the first few trailers for a game, only to be dissapointed when it comes out as something that seems a little lesser. Unfortunatley its become a trend. And its not only reffering to visuals, features or mechanics are often cut as well, as was prevalent in cyberpunk

MrFunSocks

Banned
You've seen like 5 minutes of the campaign in previews yet you're already saying that an engine trailer like 5 years ago is "misleading" because it has things you haven't seen in an unreleased game? Not to mention that was a trailer to just show off the engine, not the game specifically.

This takes concern to the next level.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Graphically yes, and that trailer came out when the one x was still in its prime so many people (including DF) were absolutely amazed that was going to be a last gen title. Then it became evident two years later that that would not be the case.

that aside however the trailer was more of a proof of concept. Id argue halo 5’s original trailer with poncho chief was far more misleading

And dont even get me started on hunt the truth

Last edited:
I think the final game could have looked nearly identical to that initial "SlipSpace Engine" trailer if the Xbox One had been dropped as a supported platform. I would have been completely ok if they had announced that Halo Infinite was only going to be available on Xbox One X, Xbox Series S/X, and PC.

jigglet

Banned
Of course it has to be misleading, otherwise it'll spoil the twist at the end when we get the face reveal (where it turns out MC is transgender)

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Graphically yes, and that trailer came out when the one x was still in its prime so many people (including DF) were absolutely amazed that was going to be a last gen title. Then it became evident two years later that that would not be the case.

that aside however the trailer was more of a proof of concept. Id argue halo 5’s original trailer with poncho chief was far more misleading

And dont even get me started on hunt the truth
Haha yeah, i get the sense that halo 5’s story went through a big change at the last minute, like destiny

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No.

b2lklDt.gif

I feel attacked, bamboozled, hoodwinked by this trailer. They preyed on my hopes and dreams and now I am in a deep depression regarding the graphical fidelity of the Halo game. It looked so amazing before and now… just… how dare they…

Shorter answer is no.

Fbh

In what sense ?.

Do I think it shows stuff that aren't in the final game? Sure.

Do I think they did that intentionally with the sole purpose of mislead people ? Not really. It's just the realities of game development, sometimes things don't work out, or have to be changed, or get taken out as the team decided they'd rather focus on other stuff. What they showed was probably a representation of what they had planned in 2018, but a lot can change in 3 years.

Besides, they've showed a lot of new footage since then. No one should be basing their purchasing decisions on a 3 years old teaser trailer when there has been plenty of newer footage available.

If nothing else I think it's another good example of why I don't like games being announced too early.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yes. I was under the impression that it was going to be this massive reboot with animals and wildlife on the level of say Avatar. A fully living breathing world. I dont see any of that in the latest trailers. I have no idea why they would spend so much time animating and rendering all those animals if they are not in the final game. No wonder the game took 6 years. They had spent the first 3 years jerking around doing shit that wasnt even going to be in the final game.

The quality of the textures and all those zoomed in shots were clearly bs as well. Whats infuriating is that whenever I tried to compare it to Horizon, people would say its Horizon was cutscenes while Halo was gameplay or realtime or whatever. Well, now the same folks are like no that was neither gameplay nor realtime.

I dont get it. they had announced a next gen console at the same conference. Why not take full advantage of it? Again, this was at E3 2018. 3 and a half years ago. They told everyone they were working on Project Scarlett. They must have known the specs or the target specs. Why downgrade it? Division, Watch Dogs, Anthem I understand, they were made on high end PCs and downgraded because of bad console specs, but this was literally shown at a conference where they announced a next gen console.

Whatever. Lets hope they show up with hellblade 2 and Perfect Dark at the VGAs next week. At least they had the sense to make them next gen only 2 years ago.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No.

The 2018 trailer was in-engine at best and was meant to showcase the SlipSpace Engine as opposed to the game itself plus it's 3 1/2 years later, games change throughout development.

I think the game matches, if not exceeds in a lot of places, the in-engine demo in both multiplayer and campaign on the visuals front. The final end result beats that in-engine trailer if the same kind of cherry picking of locations is done for the current game in both MP and especially Campaign.

There are maps in MP every bit as crisp and good looking as what was in that trailer. I've seen footage in campaign of areas that to me match or even look much better than the 2018 trailer because it has the same crispness, but the art and mood are so much better. The main difference and drawback compared to that 2018 trailer is the fact that now we are seeing the full scale game with everything it aims to do, so LODs and expected pop in where appropriate are to be expected.

Go look at campaign preview footage from the first 2-4 levels, the game looks unbelievable, especially those first two because it's even more obvious from those how much they nailed, even exceeded, the promise of the first trailer. Now as to the zeta halo part of the game, those, too, match, but maybe because now we're dealing with a dynamic time of day system where lighting changes can drastically alter how an area looks, sometimes causing an area to not get the same kind of lighting, it's more difficult to appreciate for some, but it looks beautiful. And not everybody is into the art direction, but I love it and feel it's some of the best I've seen. I think the end product of what we will play on the 8th collectively beats the reveal trailer based on what I've seen of the first 4 levels of the game from the highest quality 4K preview footage. The level of detail that was present on various parts of the environment or objects or models in the environments is still present in the final game, and can be seen in full fidelity. The in-engine trailer was giving us a lot of close shots of specific detail, the best looking things under the perfect lighting conditions.

Those same kinds of shots are every bit as possible and as detailed in the current campaign from examination of footage I've watched when the lighting and atmosphere is all there. I think once people are playing it for themselves, and are experiencing those opening two levels and then transitioning to the 3rd mission it will become more clear.

Also, seeing that section underwater wasn't automatically suggesting that we would be going underwater. For all we know it could be something that we see in the game if we actually pay attention and look out for it. As for the desert biome, that was less than 4 seconds of the trailer, but remember that trailer was meant to represent both campaign as well as MP. It was a trailer for Halo Infinite period. Everything else in that trailer is actually in the campaign with uncertainty as to whether the deer and rhinos are, but the locations are in the game, even the caves. As to weather, there would appear to be no rain by the sounds of it, but the game has a dynamic wind and fog system. The zeta halo biome also consists of multiple sub biomes within; a war torn area called the deadlands, mountainous highlands, there are swamplands also, and there's cave systems in the game, too, just like in the trailer, and there are things even more impressive than that based on confirmed hands on. The campaign also has something that wasn't present in that original trailer, the hex walls. If you were under the impression those aren't a beautiful part of the visual presentation and biome, the opening levels will put that concern to rest. But yea, enough of that, back to Halo MP, which I honestly can't believe I'm enjoying this much.

NahaNago

Yes and no. After thinking about it , it did what it was suppose to do and reintroduce and hype up the next halo game. Does the game right now seem like the game in the trailer the I would say no. My views on the trailer was that you would have this living world to explore and do things in. We technically do have a world to explore and do things in it is just that this world is more "gamey" than living world.

NickFire

I think MS handled their trailers for this game pretty well to be honest. They gave a good faith showing in summer 2020 and took the feedback to heart, delaying the game over a year, and improving it. That should be the gold standard IMO. Much better than cut scene after cut scene that promotes preorders of games about to launch in a broken state.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I was under the impression that it was going to be this massive reboot with animals and wildlife on the level of say Avatar. A fully living breathing world. I dont see any of that in the latest trailers. I have no idea why they would spend so much time animating and rendering all those animals if they are not in the final game.
There is wildlife in Halo Infinite? Didn't you watch any of the previews(they even showed them briefly in the campaign preview)? Some are also present in the multiplayer. Actual lore friendly wildlife not the hippos from the 2018 trailer.
They even had promotional Pringles themed after the Moa bird in the game.
I dont get it. they had announced a next gen console at the same conference. Why not take full advantage of it? Again, this was at E3 2018. 3 and a half years ago. They told everyone they were working on Project Scarlett. They must have known the specs or the target specs. Why downgrade it? Division, Watch Dogs, Anthem I understand, they were made on high end PCs and downgraded because of bad console specs, but this was literally shown at a conference where they announced a next gen console.
Scarlett was announced a year later in E3 2019, not in the same conference. After E3 2018 everyone assumed it would release on Xbox One. But I don't think Xbox One holds this game back as much as everyone thinks it does. Lets compare it with Forza Horizon 5, which also targets Xbox One. Forza Horizon 5 is 4K 30 fps with a 60 fps mode in Series X. Now everyone says Forza Horizon 5 targets supports 4K and 60 fps like Halo Infinite, but they forget that Halo Infinite is 4K 60 fps in the graphics mode and 120 fps in the performance mode. This game already looks that impressive at 4K while targeting 60 fps.
Is this confirmed? I thought I had read recently that while the PNW would be the main one, there would be other sub-biomes.

EDIT: Read it here .
IGN guys also confirmed that their are more biomes. The campaign previews were only limited to the first 4 missions(there are 14).

Last edited:

jakinov

If you (not specifically you) are going to complain that something from years ago then game companies will start showing off things less and less. Part of the reason why game companies show thinfs close to release is because a lot of things are tentative

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The first trailer for halo infinite, shown at microsofts e3 2018 press conference, shows a lot of neat things that dont seem to be in the final product, judging by campaign previews. There is weather, large fauna, a desert biome (halo infinites campaigns only biome is the pacific north west one) and even what seems to be underwater exploration. All of this was running “in engine” on the new slip space space engine, but the final product, while certainly looking better than last years showing, doesent look nearly as crisp as that in engine trailer does, on to of the other missing stuff from that original trailer. In a way im reminded of the first few trailers for no mans sky, which features concepts and ai systems which would not make it into the final game, hell sand worms only made it in recently and they are way less impressive than those shown in the first nms trailer.

now, and this is important HALO INFINITE IS GOOD, THE CAMPAIGN WILL LIKELY BE VERY GOOD, WHILE I AM DISSAPOINTED IN MISSING FEATURES I THINK THE GAME WILL BE VERY GOOD REGARDLESS.

I am not making this thread in bad faith, im making it because i dislike the trend of games being shown off as cg “in engine” trailers that are way more visually impressive and complex than what ends up releasing. Halo infinite is not the first, its following the lineage of no mans sky, cyberpunk, watchdogs, final fantasy xv, and a plethura of other games that were seemingly less impressive than their initial trailers. I just want that trend to end.

It literally says "Game engine demonstration" at the beginning....

So its your fault for thinking a game engine demonstration is representative of the final product.

Bernkastel

The Chief and the marines look more detailed now then the E3 2018 trailer.
The campaign preview looks better than E3 2019 trailer
6bKOAhu.jpg

TmOOuBM.jpg

MS needs to stop doing the "in engine" nonsense, look at the expectations they've created with the next Hellblade, it's not going to look like that but there are many hardcore xbox fans who think it will. Any time anyone says in engine you know the game will be a few steps down from that, they don't even say what the hardware is that the engine is running on. If you aren't going to announce it with gameplay than use a CGI cinematic so we all know they aren't trying to give us any kind of real representation of what the game will look like. They really should wait until the game is ready to show before they announce it but many companies don't and this in engine nonsense just turns people off.

When it comes to the tech trailer that featured Halo that was just odd, who does a trailer for an engine? and if you do that why would you use Halo for it? shouldn't that have been something more generic and not tied to a game? I mean I know a certain MS cheerleader here wants to try to say the actual game looks better in some ways but it does not in any way look better it looks several steps below so what was the purpose of that trailer other than to create some hype?

Bernkastel

I mean I know a certain MS cheerleader here wants to try to say the actual game looks better in some ways but it does not in any way look better it looks several steps below so what was the purpose of that trailer other than to create some hype?
I just said that Chief and the Marines look more detailed now and you already got triggered.
screen-shot-2018-06-10-at-45357-pm-1528674999282_160w.png

Halo-Infinite-Master-Cheif-Armor.jpg

Nothing seen so far this generation looks as good as that trailer so does it really matter?

KRYPT83

Those announce trailers ain't for you or me they are for people in the industry to say hey look what we are working on wanna come join and help

Top Bottom