• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Think We Will Ever See a Nintendo 64 Online App for the Switch?

Do You Think We Will Ever See a Nintendo 64 Online App for the Switch?

• Total voters

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's hard to believe that the SNES Classic was released over three years ago, but in the wake of its success a lot of people assumed that a Nintendo 64 Classic would be coming next. Of course, there wasn't a guarantee that it would come out, and a lot of people made valid points that it would be much more problematic than an NES or SNES Classic system since:

• The controller design would make it more expensive
  • There's a much smaller library to pull classics from compared to the NES and SNES
  • It was less successful compared to the SNES, so there would be less people to buy it out of nostalgia

Well, it's been three years, so it seems we can safely assume that a Nintendo 64 Classic isn't coming.

BUT, with the launch of the Switch's NES Online and SNES Online apps, we've seen that Nintendo is willing and able to bring many of those classics to gamers digitally.

With the insane success of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, it's clear that plenty of people are still nostalgic for/interested in Nintendo 64 games. And, if a Nintendo 64 Online app did launch, it could sidestep a lot of the difficulties that would come with a Nintendo 64 Classic, since Nintendo wouldn't be stuck selling the hardware, and they wouldn't have to worry about the expensive controller(s).

Plus, the N64's limited library wouldn't be as big of an issue in the app, since it's just a bonus to what people are already getting instead of an all-in-one piece of hardware to purchase.

Do you think Nintendo will continue to ride the nostalgia wave that started with the NES/SNES Classics and continued with the blockbuster success of Super Mario 3D All-Stars? Or do you think there's no hope for playing these classics again on modern TV setups?

(Personally, I just want to play Star Fox 64 again.)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I have a feeling Game Boy games are more likely. Although I'd rather see them treat the GB family of games as one big pool and include GB, GBC, and GBA games rather than adding games from one handheld library at a time.

Tranquil

If they did then I could finally play Perfect Dark, heard so much about that game but don't have any means to play it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would love it, but I don't think so.

You already have NES and SNES games offered with the internet subscription, which for 20$/year seem as enough value.

Knowing Nintendo and their latest practices... if they were willing to put N64 games on the Switch, they'll probably sell those on the store rather than giving them for free.

If they did then I could finally play Perfect Dark, heard so much about that game but don't have any means to play it.
Never tried it, but some emulators let you run it at 60fps and play with keyboard and mouse. Not the original experience tho.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Unfortunately that still might not happen, since MS owns Perfect Dark and Rare now. But MS and Nintendo have been friendly, especially given the Minecraft Smash announcement, so who knows?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Why does Nintendo need N64 online when they can charge you for N64 games at retail as part of a package?
An addition to the service that would help them justify an inevitable price hike in the subscription cost, which I'm sure they're more than eager to do.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’d say N64 games are coming one way or another given the work they have put into the emulation layer - it might be retail, or as part of the online, but either way it’s coming. I look forward to playing some classics.

Tranquil

Never tried it, but some emulators let you run it at 60fps and play with keyboard and mouse. Not the original experience tho.

I know, I'm not a fan of emulators in use with the N64, too many bugs and glitches.

Tried playing Golden Eye once, but it just didn't run right and I had to adjust a bunch of settings just to get the video to work. I don't want to deal with it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I know, I'm not a fan of emulators in use with the N64, too many bugs and glitches.

Tried playing Golden Eye once, but it just didn't run right and I had to adjust a bunch of settings just to get the video to work. I don't want to deal with it.
Yeah... I havent touched N64 emulation in years, but back in the day it was almost impossible to play most games without any kind of glitches.

Hooe you get to play those Rare shooters some day, they both are some of my fav games.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Part of me wonders if they'll make access to the N64 library contingent upon purchasing some new SKU of the Switch. Remember the "New" 3DS, and how it got access to, (really good), SNES emulation while the original 3DS didn't? We all know that the original 3DS could have handled those SNES titles just fine, but making access to them exclusive to the "New" model probably did help to shift more than a few units to nostalgic goobers like myself. What if they announce a "New" Switch, (please don't name it this Nintendo, just don't do that), that comes with an exclusive n64 app?

TDiddyLive

It’s remastered but mostly unchanged on Xbox 360. It’s also included with Rare Replay on Xbox One.

Edit: Just looked. Perfect Dark by itself is $9.99, while Rare Replay is currently on sale for $7.49.

Last edited:
Why would they, no need, they are making as much money as they can, might do a zelda collection for $60 tho, fuck them, not gonna be buying anything nintendo untill they start caring again.

Ev1L AuRoN

I honestly don't think n64 games hold up very well, I personally would prefer the GBA games, maybe the whole gameboy family. I miss the old school pokemon games and of course the 2D Metroid games from GBA. But knowing Nintendo, I won't hold by breath.

UnNamed

Banned
No specific app like Virtual Console, but games released individually, as we already see with arcade games on the Eshop.

tylrdiablos

I hope so.
Why havent They ported Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess from the Wii U?
Nintendo is random as shit so who knows
NES Mini was released Nov 2016.
SNES Mini was released Sept 2017...

It seems like we would have heard something about an N64 Mini or GameCube Mini by now.

Are these machines considerably harder to emulate? Maybe there's some licensing issues holding it back.
Only Nintendo knows for sure, and like you said, they're too random to predict. Which is a shame. It'd be easy money for them... again.

I'd settle for GameCube and N64 emulation/Virtual Consoles on the Switch at this point but dedicated hardware would be preferred.

Woopah

Seemingly NSO is getting a big update in April (new fiscal year) and I bet we see Nintendo take a new approach to selling it's back catalogue. Not sure what that will be but I think it'll include some N64 titles.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
i dont think so no way GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
A bit late for that, but hey, just how long did Nintendo wait before releasing the original GB Pokémon game on the 3DS?

Thing is, N64 games need a bit of polish to be even watchable these days with 4K screens and everything. Wii's VC and its 480p output doesn't cut it anymore. And it's much more profitable for Nintendo to just release the best N64 games in collections like they did for Mario. SM64 on my OLED was much, much better than I had expected.

A dedicated channel is not what I expect.

Kokoloko85

NES Mini was released Nov 2016.
SNES Mini was released Sept 2017...

It seems like we would have heard something about an N64 Mini or GameCube Mini by now.

Are these machines considerably harder to emulate? Maybe there's some licensing issues holding it back.
Only Nintendo knows for sure, and like you said, they're too random to predict. Which is a shame. It'd be easy money for them... again.

I'd settle for GameCube and N64 emulation/Virtual Consoles on the Switch at this point but dedicated hardware would be preferred.

Definitely would be easy money.
Yeah Id settle for N64 and Gamecube virtual console on Switch too. Like the N64 virtual console on Wii

Shouldnt be too hard to emulate, Wii is basically gamecubecube, Wii U is basically a stronger Wii and Switch is basically a Wii U lol.
And Licensing wise, Nintendo can do what they want with there 1st party games Im guessing. Maybe some music licensing issues?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m in the mindset that because Mario 3D all stars had Mario 64 that is pretty much the nail in the coffin for the n64 app. They know they can resell us their first party n64 stuff at a premium and there is no way you can launch an N64 app without Mario.. And even if On March 30th all stars goes away, it wouldn’t make sense for them to suddenly give that portion of it away for free to subscribers. I hope I’m wrong but I would expect GB / GBA first now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom