• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want proper Voice Chat in Switch? Make your voices be heard.

EVH

So I'm stealing the inspiration from the Sony cross-play movement thread from VlaudTheImpaler, obviously.

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE POSTING

Nintendo has been showing that not only the management of parties for online gaming but also the voice chat itself will be handled via a complementary smartphone app and not a Switch integrated application, that would allow an standard and easy use of this and all other capabilities. A complementary app would be cool, as long as it is as complementary as the Steam smartphone app. Furthermore, Voice Chat has been in PC since ages ago in a non complicated way, and in the year 2000, Dreamcast already had voice chat services for gaming. Even in Nintendo DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, developed by NST, had voice chat while in between matches more than 10 years ago. Lack of power is NOT an excuse. Battery drain is NOT an excuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_chat_in_online_gaming

And now, Nintendo wants us to deal with this:

ijSrSG7.jpg

- Connect your switch to the dongle.
- Connect your phone to the dongle.
- Connect the dongle to the headset.
And when the switch is in dock? Just buy an additional 3 meter cable?

There is also no excuse for this other than the Nintendo Smartphone App, as according to Nintendo web itself, the Switch has the possibility of using headsets.

But why don't you just use Skype or Discord? Well, that would be adding another app to the deal, as it looks the party chat and friend play management will be also done via the Nintendo app. If that does not end the case, what's the difference of using an app or another for Voice chat?
Well, why would I care? First, because you're going to pay bucks for this soon. Second, because its been many years since people has asked for a good or decent online platform and we are still using Friend fucking Codes.
So, ok, Nintendo does listen actually? Well, it looks it does. Reggie said so in this E3 2007, but there is a way to be sure they get to hear your claims.
Reggie said during E3 it's not the only solution. Is 2017 and you are still believing Reggie? Why not telling what solution is then? They can show just a logo.
It's a third party solution by Hori! This was already discussed. Hori is doing it FOR Nintendo, so it is actually FROM Nintendo.
Why not wait until its out? Because that worked with FriendCodes, right? If you wait until it's out, it will be finished. If you do it before they finish it, they can react.
I don't care anyway and Voice Chat sucks because of kiddos. Good. If you don't care, please at least help the ones who care. Who knows, maybe Nintendo could implement a "mute player" interface like in many other systems that helps you enjoy the voice chat without screaming individuals.

Write them to the following profiles in twitter. These are some:

https://twitter.com/trintran
Bill Trinen
As close as the big dudes as one can get. Everybody knows who Bill is and that he is always between Reggie and Japan.

https://twitter.com/SteveN0rman
Steve Norman
Head of social for Nintendo America.

And of course, the official twitter channels of America, Europe and Japan:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope
https://twitter.com/Nintendo

I personally think that the best one to write to is Bill, but that is something you decide. The text could be something like "Make a proper Voice Chat in Switch" or "Online app in Switch itself", whatever we can think of. It will be actually good if we discuss one here and set a "standard". We could use a hashtag in Twitter and all other social networks such as Facebook. This could also be decided here.

You can also call them and write them:
Mailing address:
4600 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052

Phone number: (425) 882-2040

Or talk to customer support

Did you write to them? Cool, thanks, let us know in this thread and if you get an answer, post it here!
You got lots of followers in Twitter, or actively participate in other pages touching the topic? Nice! Share this!

1. Tweeting Bill or anyone at Nintendo and voicing your dissatisfaction is not harassment.

2. No, it's not an issue of Switch lacking power. Even the Nintendo DS was able to do voice chat on the system. It's a deliberate design choice by Nintendo.

3. The adapter by HORI (or similar adapters by other third parties) is the only solution if you want to have both voice chat and game music through the same headset.

4. No, the app solution isn't more convenient to handle. You need to juggle two (or if you're playing in docked mode with Joy-Cons, three) devices at once. It's easier to just connect a headset directly to the Switch.

I am open to tips on improving this OP.

Goodlife

So I'm stealing the inspiration from the Sony cross-play movement thread from VlaudTheImpaler, obviously.

Nintendo has been showing that not only the management of parties for online gaming but also the voice chat itself will be handled via a complementary smartphone app and not a Switch integrated application, that would allow an standard and easy use of this and all other capabilities. A complementary app would be cool, as long as it is as complementary as the Steam smartphone app. Furthermore, Voice Chat has been in PC since ages ago in a non complicated way, and in the year 2000, Dreamcast already had voice chat services for gaming. Even in Nintendo DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, developed by NST, had voice chat while in between matches more than 10 years ago. Lack of power is NOT an excuse. Battery drain is NOT an excuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_chat_in_online_gaming

And now, Nintendo wants us to deal with this:

There is also no excuse for this other than the Nintendo Smartphone App, as according to Nintendo web itself, the Switch has the possibility of using headsets.

But why don't you just use Skype or Discord? Well, that would be adding another app to the deal, as it looks the party chat and friend play management will be also done via the Nintendo app. If that does not end the case, what's the difference of using an app or another for Voice chat?
Well, why would I care? First, because you're going to pay bucks for this soon. Second, because its been many years since people has asked for a good or decent online platform and we are still using Friend fucking Codes.
So, ok, Nintendo does listen actually? Well, it looks it does. Reggie said so in this E3 2007, but there is a way to be sure they get to hear your claims.

Write them to the following profiles in twitter. These are some:

https://twitter.com/trintran
Bill Trinen
As close as the big dudes as one can get. Everybody knows who Bill is and that he is always between Reggie and Japan.

https://twitter.com/SteveN0rman
Steve Norman
Head of social for Nintendo America.

And of course, the official twitter channels of America, Europe and Japan:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope
https://twitter.com/Nintendo

I personally think that the best one to write to is Bill, but that is something you decide. The text could be something like "Make a proper Voice Chat in Switch" or "Online app in Switch itself", whatever we can think of. It will be actually good if we discuss one here and set a "standard". We could use a hashtag in Twitter and all other social networks such as Facebook. This could also be decided here.

You can also call them and write them:

Or talk to customer support

Did you write to them? Cool, thanks, let us know in this thread and if you get an answer, post it here!

I am open to tips on improving this OP.

Not been following too much, I must be honest, but isn't the "solution" you've shown just a third part solution and there is no indication of how Nintendo plan to do it yet?

Or have I missed lots?

Spiral_Steak

Neo Member
Boycotting Nintendo won't really do much, you would probably need to tweet a lot at Nintendo japan specifically if you wanted to.

Yes!! An app on the switch needs to exist, and/or actually each game should have option to voice chat on switch console to make voice chat easier especially when playing docked!

Maximo

Doubt anything will happen its the stubborn CEO heads in Japan that probably think this is the best idea the boardroom has come up with *everyone has a phone!*, can't hurt to try tho.

Richie

Not been following too much, I must be honest, but isn't the "solution" you've shown just a third part solution and there is no indication of how Nintendo plan to do it yet?

Or have I missed lots?

Reggie's hinted at it in Kotaku's latest interview.

Totilo: It just seems cumbersome that I'm going to have to plug my headset into a phone into a system, those wires...

Fils-Aime: So let's be clear. What you've seen is the execution by one particular supplier. That is not going to be the only solution.

In the same interview Reggie did say a phone is needed for voice chat though.

I don't mind you guys protesting in a civilized manner if you perceive this as that much of an issue, but...let's take Bill out of the picture, shall we?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it a technical issue? I'm up for reserving as much as CPU power for games as possible. Should have worked on bringing alive those A53 cores, though.

Teran

It's as if gamers forget they've been using VOIP over the last 10 years anyway. Screw voice chat in games lol.

The only thing egregious about this is how bad Nintendo's implementation of it is.

EVH

Uh... Why Bill Trinen
Dude isn't a decision maker

Neither is anyone in NA, to be honest

We know, but he is the closest guy to decission makers and a bridge between the big guys in America and Japan.

Isn't it a technical issue? I'm up for reserving as much as CPU power for games as possible. Should have worked on bringing alive those A53 cores, though.

Nope, it's not.

Please don't harass Bill Trinen on twitter.

This is not harassment.

i actually think even if they had the most perfect way of doing it, i would never ever use it, so no.

Cool, the thing is that we don't have the most perfect way of doing it. Would be cool if you could help the ones that would use it? Thanks.

Matbtz

The hori dongle is just a third party solution. I'll wait a bit to have more information on it before saying anything. And yeah don't harass Bill Trinen :/

EDIT : The thing is the joy cons or the pro controller don't have a headphone jack so it's a problem for docked voice chat anyway. Maybe they want us to use the app with just a earbud while listening to the game sound on the TV as usual

EVH

The hori dongle is just a third party solution. I'll wait a bit to have more information on it before saying anything. And yeah don't harass Bill Trinen :/

It's not a third party solution and this was discussed on the reveal, just hori doing it for Nintendo. Tweeting to one of the only accessible guys in Nintendo is not harassment.

Matbtz

It's not a third party solution and this was discussed on the reveal, just hori doing it for Nintendo. Tweeting to one of the only accessible guys in Nintendo is not harassment.

Reggie says otherwise. I prefer to wait and see more information for my part. Yeah it's not harassment but it's his personal account, I don't see the point to spam the guy.

NeonBlack

So we are not waiting for it to be out and just jumping the gun ?

Reggie says otherwise. I prefer to wait and see more information for my part. Yeah it's not harassment but it's his personal account, I don't see the point to spam the guy.

I don't see whats else there is to see. We've already been told this is the only way for voice chat. It may not be the best to mail him but we should hold Nintendo to the same standard as the rest of the industry.

atr0cious

I think bluetooth support is what you should be asking for. How are we supposed to connect to a docked switch otherwise? Either way you'd be running wires. The phone is a decent solution to the switch's unique proposition.

Rncewind

quote reggies otherwise for me pls

I think bluetooth support is what you should be asking for. How are we supposed to connect to a docked switch otherwise? Either way you'd be running wires. The phone is a decent solution to the switch's unique proposition.

cant have ingame voicechat, switch more underpowred then xbox 360 i guess

EVH

When was Reggie actually reliable? It's ok to wait until is finished, but then you won't be able to change shit. Also, Trinen puts lots of Nintendo stuff in his account. Don't see the problem with tweeting @yosp either. He will listen.

ASaiyan

Banned
Possibly stupid question, but are Bluetooth headsets not supported? Or is just it this one official one that required two wired line-ins? I seem to recall a Bluetooth Zelda set at launch, but I might be misremembering, lol.

Oppo

i suspect BT is part of the whole problem. i think they've reserved it for the joy cons and local multi. you get max 8 devices on a BT piconet. maybe it's maxed out.

atr0cious

That what you claim has nothing to do with voice chat.

Switch can be more unique then a snowflake in that regard
Where did I claim that, please quote me. You don't think there's anything unique about the switch being able to be portable and a home console? The only "solution" would be to put extra junk in the dock to connect more stuff, making the dock and bundles manufacturing costs and price higher. There's a friend's portal on the console, and though it's annoying I can't text someone on it, I'm sure the resources are being spent elsewhere at the moment and they may change it with the summer update. I just use discord until then, but still just the text chat.

Matbtz

quote reggies otherwise for me pls

cant have ingame voicechat, switch more underpowred then xbox 360 i guess
http://kotaku.com/nintendos-reggie-fils-aime-on-switch-voice-chat-lack-o-1796147494
Fils-Aime: So let's be clear. What you've seen is the execution by one particular supplier. That is not going to be the only solution.

When was Reggie actually reliable? It's ok to wait until is finished, but then you won't be able to change shit. Also, Trinen puts lots of Nintendo stuff in his account. Don't see the problem with tweeting @yosp either. He will listen.
In my opinion he dodges a lot of questions and all but I don't think he's gonna lie like this. I don't see the point if it's going to fall on him in 6 months.

Like in january he said :
Oh, so earlier today I got asked about Mother 3; maybe you can ask me about Metroid. Look, again, I am proud as an executive with Nintendo to say that we look at all of the boards and all of the comments and we really have a good understanding of what our consumers want. And believe me, we take that to heart as we work to create content.
So I have nothing to announce - here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can't wait for the next true instalment in that franchise's legacy. Suffice it to say, we're aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let's look back and see what's happened.
A lot of people said BS and was just PR talk but for me iit was sure Metroid was coming.

Maybe I'm wrong and we will have a Nintendo dongle instead of the Hori's one but I don't think there is much difference by being vocal now or at the reveal time. Things seems to be set in stone already with at least one supplier already with a product.

EVH

Fils-Aime: So let’s be clear. What you’ve seen is the execution by one particular supplier. That is not going to be the only solution.
Totilo: But it’s going to require a phone no matter what?
Fils-Aime: It’s going to require a phone. It’s going to require a mobile device and be delivered by an app.

?

wanders

Yeah.

I would wait until voice chat and the app is out before we start picking up our pitchforks. If they're so confident that this would be better for consumers I think it's fair to give it a shot, no matter how crazy it sounds.

EVH

I was just quoting the fact that the Hori dongle appears to be not the only solution. Off course we will need the app on the phone, they have been clear on this

If you want to voice chat via headset and you need the smartphone app for it, you will still need a dongle. The dongle is from Hori but it is made for Nintendo. Maybe it changes the shape when they sell it for other games, but that's it.

Shiggy

1. Tweeting Bill or anyone at Nintendo and voicing your dissatisfaction is not harassment.

2. No, it's not an issue of Switch lacking power. Even the Nintendo DS was able to do voice chat on the system. It's a deliberate design choice by Nintendo.

3. The adapter by HORI (or similar adapters by other third parties) is the only solution if you want to have both voice chat and game music through the same headset.

4. No, the app solution isn't more convenient to handle. You need to juggle two (or if you're playing in docked mode with Joy-Cons, three) devices at once. It's easier to just connect a headset directly to the Switch.

Rncewind

Where did I claim that, please quote me. You don't think there's anything unique about the switch being able to be portable and a home console? The only "solution" would be to put extra junk in the dock to connect more stuff, making the dock and bundles manufacturing costs and price higher. There's a friend's portal on the console, and though it's annoying I can't text someone on it, I'm sure the resources are being spent elsewhere at the moment and they may change it with the summer update. I just use discord until then, but still just the text chat.

Nothing what you write make sense, we talking about basic party chat, you know what that is right? Asother mentioned you can do that on Nintendo DS

JoeLT

This decision baffles me, why not give your users the option for both a phone app and an OS function? Even the 360 had voice chat.

Top Bottom