• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want proper Voice Chat in Switch? Make your voices be heard.

de_reddy

Neo Member
You don't tweet someone about this at his personal twitter, just tweet to the offical ones. What's wrong with you guys.

EVH

1. Tweeting Bill or anyone at Nintendo and voicing your dissatisfaction is not harassment.

2. No, it's not an issue of Switch lacking power. Even the Nintendo DS was able to do voice chat on the system. It's a deliberate design choice by Nintendo.

3. The adapter by HORI (or similar adapters by other third parties) is the only solution if you want to have both voice chat and game music through the same headset.

4. No, the app solution isn't more convenient to handle. You need to juggle two (or if you're playing in docked mode with Joy-Cons, three) devices at once. It's easier to just connect a headset directly to the Switch.

Thanks, all this is more or less said in the OP, but I guess people just takes only a look at it.

Is not? I thought it was because CPU is a limited resource on the system. Well, then is inexcusable.

Switch has more CPU power and 4 times the RAM of 360, for example. DS had voice chat in some games during waiting rooms for online. It's not really the problem.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Switch has more CPU power and 4 times the RAM of 360, for example. DS had voice chat in some games during waiting rooms for online. It's not really the problem.
Yes, but I was thinking that Nintendo wanted as much as its CPU power available if they want to get downports from the Ps4/XBO.

Cerium

vwRFTkL.png

qUq6z1C.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you want to voice chat via headset and you need the smartphone app for it, you will still need a dongle. The dongle is from Hori but it is made for Nintendo. Maybe it changes the shape when they sell it for other games, but that's it.

Except you don't know that. You're guessing, it's not a stated fact. You're talking like everything's already been rolled out.

EVH

Except you don't know that. You're guessing, it's not a stated fact. You're talking like everything's already been rolled out.

If you want to use a headset for listening voice in the smartphone app, and game sound, you will need to mix two different sound sources, so a dongle to put them together. There is not much to guess.

Protome

It's not guessing. Nintendo have said repeatedly that you need the smartphone app to use voice chat. This weird defensiveness some people have about how it'll work is getting silly now.

The options will be you need a Y splitter that connects to both your phone and the Switch to get audio from both or you only use the App and have to use your TV speakers like it's 2005 again. These will be the options available because that's what the tech involved allows for.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh ffs, the dongle's _only_ reason is to mix game sound from the console with chat sound from the phone while you're on the go. All cords are just audio. You can obviously totally just plug a headset into your phone and be done with it while playing on a couch, hearing the game from the TV.

Are people purposefully obtuse about this? You can even use this exact headset without the dongle.

Protome

Oh ffs, the dongle's _only_ reason is to mix game sound from the console with chat sound from the phone while you're on the go. All cords are just audio. You can obviously totally just plug a headset into your phone and be done with it while playing on a couch, hearing the game from the TV.

Are people purposefully obtuse about this?

No, people just don't want to settle for a substandard solution. There's a reason why gaming headsets are amongst the most popular accessories for consoles, people want to be able to hear the game and their chat.

Are people being purposefully obtuse about this?

Matbtz

If you want to use a headset for listening voice in the smartphone app, and game sound, you will need to mix two different sound sources, so a dongle to put them together. There is not much to guess.

It's not guessing. Nintendo have said repeatedly that you need the smartphone app to use voice chat. This weird defensiveness some people have about how it'll work is getting silly now.

The options will be you need a Y splitter that connects to both your phone and the Switch to get audio from both or you only use the App and have to use your TV speakers like it's 2005 again. These will be the options available because that's what the tech involved allows for.

We agree this is a bad design but since there are no headphone jack on the joy cons nor the pro controller, what do you suggest then ?
A headset with 3m cable when the Switch is docked ?Because I believe bluetooth headsets don't work (yet?) and not everyone have (wants) one.

Is it really better that use your phone on speakers while gaming ?

The fact that they didn't design the joy cons or the pro controller with headphone jack makes all voice chat execution bad.

Shiggy

No, people just don't want to settle for a substandard solution. There's a reason why gaming headsets are amongst the most popular accessories for consoles, people want to be able to hear the game and their chat.

Yes, they are.

We agree this is a bad design but since there are no headphone jack on the joy cons nor the pro controller, what do you suggest then ? A headset with 3m cable when the Switch is docked ?Because I believe bluetooth headsets don't work (yet?) and not everyone have (wants) one.

The fact that they didn't design the joy cons or the pro controller with headphone jack makes all voice chat execution bad.

Giving options is never bad. Enabling support for Bluetooth headsets would be a great start.

Protome

We agree this is a bad design but since there are no headphone jack on the joy cons nor the pro controller, what do you suggest then ?
A headset with 3m cable when the Switch is docked ?Because I believe bluetooth headsets don't work (yet?) and not everyone have (wants) one.

The ideal solution would be adding voice chat + bluetooth headset support to the OS.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, I didn't intend to address your post, but the posts implying you'd need the dongle for this/any headset to work at all times, not only in this but in every thread about Nintendo's weird voice solution.

You obviously know the deal here, and of course I'm not gonna make an argument against it, if you want both game and chat sound over your headset, this solution is clearly subpar and I'm sure there will be 1st or 3rd party accessories addressing this too.

-shadow-

I truly don't understand how these decisions are made. Where in the ivory tower in Japan does it go so completely off the rails?

The_Lump

Banned
Ironically, I think if they'd have had both the option of in built voice chat AND the phone app, the phone app would probably have got some good press. It's a neat idea.

I have a bluetooth headset for my PS4 which I never use because it's never charged and I can't be bothered to find it on the off chance I want to use it. Being able to just use my phone would be very handy indeed and would probably make me use VC a lot more.

Obviously people who use VC a lot would be much better prepared than myself and the app would be more redundant - but for casual users the App is actually a very good idea - just not as the only available option!

EVH

At the end it looks like the thread was more for arguing about if asking for a better voice chat is stupid or harassment than any other question proposed by the thread. Sucks.

I don't really care. I have no problems setting up voice chat with friends on my own (at home and on the go). And it was a relief to never have to hear or mute 8 year olds singing and screaming in Splatoon and MK8 on WiiU. Actually that might be a big part of why I consider those two games the best online experiences I had this gen.

weekev

Banned
I am in the minority. I think its a good idea and am looking forward to the app. I understand the outrage though. Second screen experience FTW

Rmagnus

Banned
Nope I don't, I do not use it at all but hey it's always good to have options I guess. Tho I will wait and see when the paid online before judging it.

Don't harass Bill on twitter, lol.
The Splatoon 2 Horii thing is only to merge audio, I've you've used Skype or Discord while playing it would work the same way.

Kinda scared to post in this thread but I just want to say that gamers need to be as vocal as possible to Nintendo that their voice chat implantation is an objectively bad idea that they need to fix.

inner-G

Banned
I like there not being voice chat because I don't really like online gaming.

It encroaches on the single-player experience too often

El-Suave

I'll make my voice be heard ... just looking for some stamps and an envelope since we're dealing with Nintendo here.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Os level chat was on my wishlist for switch.

Make it friends only.
Make it difficult to activate for children.

But do it through the system.

This is the 5th time in a row Nintendo failed with online services

It's unbelievable.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I guess, if I'm just answering the thread title, while I think the voice chat situation is kinda fucked up I don't actually "want" proper voice chat. I expect I'll never use it either way.

If you defend it, you're an idiot.

Please do not make posts like this.

qko

What if the reason Nintendo is open to the idea of crossplay with PC and Xbox Live is due to the close environment of their voice chat app.

Not defending it or saying it's right, but the other reaction I've seen after people see more details is people saying they'll stick to Discord on their phone.

I had a seriously heated argument with two other guys about this while in line for an NES classic at Best Buy.

For the life of me, I cannot see how anyone could suggest that this is the more convenient solution. It is borderline idiotic to argue this point. It is impossible that a solution involving breaking engagement with your current device to use another would somehow be more convenient than completing the same task on the one you are already using.

The only possibly valid argument is conserving power (both battery and processing grunt). Even in that case, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't give consumers the option. There is already a RAM and core allocation to the OS. The 360's dashboard ran on 32MB of RAM, so I can't imagine having some of those basic functions built in would break the camels back.

I simply think that when Nintendo chose to outsource its online network's development and selected DeNA, it was determined that it would be much faster for them to work using app development they are familiar with rather than the system itself.

It's a crappy solution, and Nintendo admitted the reality of this when they revealed the price. Xbox Live used to charge $50/year. Nintendo's launch feature set includes the majority of the features people cared about Live for the most minus achievements. I think Nintendo would have undercut Sony/MS regardless of whether the platform was of equal quality, but it being $20 vs $40 is telling. They are aware it's clunky and and compares unfavorably.

They really should have added headphone jacks to the joycon and pro controller.

In the joycon is expecting a bit much, but the pro controller not having one at its price is absolutely ridiculous.

Daedardus

Again, nobody said anything about harassing anyone.

OK, suppose 10,000 people would tweet the same tweet to you everyday, how would you like that on your Twitter wall. It's best to bundle strong responses instead of flooding someone to the point where they'll hate to use their social media account.

EVH

We should probably wait to even seen wtf it is first

Waiting until its finished and it cannot be changed is not the best solution. This is actually what happened with every platform and the "wait and see if it really uses friend codes".

Anyway, that example is in the OP so you should probably know already.

Top Bottom