• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want proper Voice Chat in Switch? Make your voices be heard.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Not been following too much, I must be honest, but isn't the "solution" you've shown just a third part solution and there is no indication of how Nintendo plan to do it yet?

Or have I missed lots?

It is.

Reggie even commented on it.

Being vocal works. There's a reason behind all of these Metroid announcements. Or the regular New 3DS being released. ;^) I'm definitely for better voice chat.

What do you still need to see to not know about the issue mentioned by OP?

Well for one he starts off with

Nintendo has been showing that not only the management of parties for online gaming but also the voice chat itself will be handled via a complementary smartphone app and not a Switch integrated application, that would allow an standard and easy use of this and all other capabilities.

When we had a thread with a user snooping through the Switch where he found a number of the online party/group features were a web applet on the system itself. So I'd like to actually see what's going on first.

People also assumed there was no online matchmaking on the system before launch too. There's too many unknowns. Yeah, the whole headset splitter cable thing is shitty, but "make your voice heard" when people don't even know exactly what they're complaining about is premature to say the least

Shiggy

Well for one he starts off with

When we had a thread with a user snooping through the Swift where he found a number of the online party/group features were a web applet on the system itself. So I'd like to actually see what's going on first.

People also assumed there was no online matchmaking on the system before launch too. There's too many unknowns. Yeah, the whole headset splitter cable thing is shitty, but "make your voice heard" when people don't even know exactly what they're complaining about is premature to say the least

The thread about party management had this tidbit:
Your room has been created.

You can invite friends to the room via
the Nintendo Switch Online Lounge app.

And this:
Lets_Invite
Invite friends and enjoy voice chat while gaming, all via your smart device!

And this:
Need_To_Play
The Nintendo Switch Online Lounge app is required to use this feature

So I don't quite see where you get from that those things can be done through the Switch system itself.

And had you read through the OP, you would've known that this thread is particularly about the splitter thing, which is necessary to hear both voice chat and in-game audio through the same headset. There's nothing we need to see about that anymore, we know that is how it's gonna work. Nintendo even promoted that solution on its Japanese Splatoon Twitter.

I've given up on demanding anything from Nintendo. I just roll with the punches and play the 5-10 games on their platform I can't get elsewhere (when I can defer to emulation, I try to).

I don't bother with 3rd party on their devices at all.

I would help out because Voice Chat/Party Chat is so important to me on PS4, talking to friends while gaming. Unfortunately I'm the only person I know that owns a Switch in the UK so I'd be talking to myself.

PSqueak

Banned
I mean, i understand the importance of protesting this, but this thread comes off as reactionary, like "woah, people are protesting sony? can't let them look bad, let's make a thread about nintendo even tho tons of people are already up in arms about their voice chat bullshit!"

But what if I don't want to chat with randos anyways....

Not a Nintendo Apologist but this is not the system update I care about.

PSqueak

Banned
nintendo is the last company that will ever listen to consumers. good luck

Didn't they listen on the issue of region locking? I mean, even if they planned the switch to not have region lock from day zero the fact that they listed it as a feature in the presentation means they listened to the fans who were demanding the feature.

What about chatting with your friends?

Like i don't talk to randoms in my ps4, but i sure as fuck am glad the feature is there for when im gaming with my friends.

Reggie said so is different from Reggie does so. I guess that's why I would think writting to Trinen before Reggie. I don't know, it looks like you are trying hard to deny what I wrote in OP. Does your aunt work in Nintendo?

I'm not denying anything. I've stated 2 things
1. I need to actually see how this will be used, what the app and it's features are, whether this is the only solution available, etc. I don't think anything is unreasonable about that.
2. Choosing not to believe Reggie when it comes to some things, while taking his word for others seems a bit arbitrary and like Reggie is simply just saying whatever shit he's allowed to and isn't the best source of reliable knowledge

EVH

Then you are fucked, because if they are already selling the dongle, that means you MUST chat with randos if you want to play online /s

This sounds like the kind of decision that was made in the system design planning stage and can't just be changed on a whim or because a few people on twitter are complaining.

aBarreras

So I'm stealing the inspiration from the Sony cross-play movement thread from VlaudTheImpaler, obviously.

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE POSTING

And now, Nintendo wants us to deal with this:

[/I].

why would i read everything when you post starts wrong ? Reggie already said that that is just a solution a partner is offering, and there will be other options

so yeah, i want voice chat on the switch withot need of the app, but stop spreading lies

You guys are better off reaching out to Nintendo of Japan and DeNA

The solution SHOULD be to just develop the app for the switch itself as some background process

Wired Headset in portable mode. Wireless USB dongle in docked mode

Boom done

why would i read everything when you post starts wrong ? Reggie already said that that is just a solution a partner is offering, and there will be other options

so yeah, i want voice chat on the switch withot need of the app, but stop spreading lies

Voice chat will require a phone. That's confirmed. The solutions Reggie is referencing seems to be headset/speaker options, but still via a phone.

This sounds like the kind of decision that was made in the system design planning stage and can't just be changed on a whim or because a few people on twitter are complaining.

It seems more of a software than hardware issue, so I while I don't think it'll be changed on a whim, it is somewhat telling that they massively delayed the rollout for this so hopefully they've learned/rethought some things

It seems like such a simple fix to me. Literally just make a Bluetooth headset, and add the mobile app to the Switch itself. Done. Why is Nintendo so ass backwards?

Justified

Yea I agree it sounds like this was decided at the design phase, but it sounds like another "You just cant flip a switch" type of thing again. Where in the end of things you actually could

Isn't it a technical issue? I'm up for reserving as much as CPU power for games as possible. Should have worked on bringing alive those A53 cores, though.
Nope, it's not.
Is not? I thought it was because CPU is a limited resource on the system. Well, then is inexcusable.
Switch has more CPU power and 4 times the RAM of 360, for example. DS had voice chat in some games during waiting rooms for online. It's not really the problem.

2. No, it's not an issue of Switch lacking power. Even the Nintendo DS was able to do voice chat on the system. It's a deliberate design choice by Nintendo.

[...]
The only possibly valid argument is conserving power (both battery and processing grunt). Even in that case, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't give consumers the option. There is already a RAM and core allocation to the OS. The 360's dashboard ran on 32MB of RAM, so I can't imagine having some of those basic functions built in would break the camels back.

I simply think that when Nintendo chose to outsource its online network's development and selected DeNA, it was determined that it would be much faster for them to work using app development they are familiar with rather than the system itself.
[...]

Would that bold part be the general consensus?

My first thought was that if some of their main multiplayer entries were barely reaching 60fps, they could have chosen to offload the voice chat to an external device (reusing the "supplemental computing device" idea). But everyone seems to agree that voice chat is not a noteworthy drain on resources.

So is the second more believeable idea that they just didn't have the competent people / time to implement it on the Switch itself? In that case complaining would work to "redo" the system.

A third weird idea would be an "image" problem where voice-chat is either not a marketable functionality to have because of Nintendo's child friendly image, or it highlights other problems like the lack of headphone ports on the controllers (Docked/Portable mode "parity" image suffers) or aren't confident about the bluetooth headphones hardware/wifi bandwidth capabilities.
But that would be giving too much power to small issues.

hiim_haz

Banned
Goodluck to those who want it. Maybe they'll make it an option. I personally don't care and am fine with the app, more power to you all though.

EVH

Would that bold part be the general consensus?

My first thought was that if some of their main multiplayer entries were barely reaching 60fps, they could have chosen to offload the voice chat to an external device (reusing the "supplemental computing device" idea). But everyone seems to agree that voice chat is not a big drain on resources.

So is the second more believeable idea that they just didn't have the competent people / time to implement it on the Switch itself? In that case complaining would work to "redo" the system.

A third weird idea would be an "image" problem where voice-chat is either not a marketable functionality to have because of Nintendo's child friendly image, or it highlights other problems like the lack of headphone ports on the controllers (Docked/Portable mode "parity" image suffers) or aren't confident about the bluetooth headphones hardware/wifi bandwidth capabilities.
But that would be giving too much power to small issues.

I also think it has to do with the DeNA agreement. Still, I'm sure DeNA is in charge of the Smartphone app, then for sure Nintendo could manage the Switch app.

I need to get hands on with the app before I make a decision. I can guarantee that the voice chat will have zero impact on that decision, though. I've never needed nor cared about voice chat.

Kintaco

My only issue with the OP is that it doesn't truthfully present what the HORI adapter truely is. It is an optional adapter if you want both voice and game audio on the headset. Of course depending on your headphones it might be more of a necessity.

Also the OP mentions the needed 3 meter cable if the Switch is docked. Well this would be the case even with system base voice chat. Nintendo screwed up by not having audio jacks in the controllers.

There easiest option would be to use Bluetooth headphones, but I'm not sure if this would affect how many controllers can connect at the same time.

Regardless the voice chat app is such a cumbersome way to go about this whole situation. It was a stupid decision and whoever proposed it should be ashamed. Nintendo has the parental control app that would be ideal to protect the children.

WaterAstro

Proper voice chat should pretty much be impossible because they would need to change hardware, I would think.

It might need to have a hardware revision before it's possible.

Kureransu

Honestly, I generally use my phone or 3rd party apps to voice chat anyway, so i'm not too vexed by this. The chat app makes sense from a docked standpoint, even though it could just be solved with a bluetooth headset.

What I'm most excited about is the potential of the chat app itself being stand alone. That means i don't have to be tethered to the switch itself. I think this is going to be like a refined XBL app that were on the Microsoft phones. I'm hoping it's super robust in the sense that i can get reminders of scheduled events that we can set up (especially here on GAF) I can receive messages, invites to games, and party chats without needing my switch to be on or even nearby. I actually use the chat app for league of legends to set up duo times (no voice though).

rudger

Question: are there any developers out there that can confirm that the Switch will not allow microphones to be plugged into and used by the Switch? I.e. Can a developer have their own voice chat option on a game by game basis - similar to how it worked on Wii U?

Obviously not ideal, but curious if they completely wiped out the option or are just pushing this for their games.

Top Bottom