• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Doctor Sleep" - sequel to "The Shining" - Trailers

The World Will Shine Again.

Only in theaters, November 8th

Edit

Final trailer

OG post

From the YT video

“Doctor Sleep” continues the story of Danny Torrance, 40 years after his terrifying stay at the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson and newcomer Kyliegh Curran star in the supernatural thriller, directed by Mike Flanagan, from his own screenplay based upon the novel by Stephen King.

Still irrevocably scarred by the trauma he endured as a child at the Overlook, Dan Torrance has fought to find some semblance of peace. But that peace is shattered when he encounters Abra, a courageous teenager with her own powerful extrasensory gift, known as the “shine.” Instinctively recognizing that Dan shares her power, Abra has sought him out, desperate for his help against the merciless Rose the Hat and her followers, The True Knot, who feed off the shine of innocents in their quest for immortality. Forming an unlikely alliance, Dan and Abra engage in a brutal life-or-death battle with Rose. Abra’s innocence and fearless embrace of her shine compel Dan to call upon his own powers as never before—at once facing his fears and reawakening the ghosts of the past.

“Doctor Sleep” stars Ewan McGregor (“Star Wars: Episodes I, II & III,” “T2 Trainspotting”) as Dan Torrance, Rebecca Ferguson (the “Mission: Impossible” films, “The Greatest Showman”) as Rose the Hat, and Kyliegh Curran, in her major feature film debut, as Abra. The main ensemble cast also includes Carl Lumbly, Zahn McClarnon, Emily Alyn Lind, Bruce Greenwood, Jocelin Donahue, Alex Essoe and Cliff Curtis. Trevor Macy and Jon Berg produced the film, with Roy Lee, Scott Lumpkin, Akiva Goldsman and Kevin McCormick serving as executive producers. Flanagan’s behind-the-scene creative team was led by director of photography Michael Fimognari (“The Haunting of Hill House”), production designers Maher Ahmad (“Get Hard”) and Elizabeth Boller (“Hush”), and costume designer Terry Anderson (“Den of Thieves”). The music score is composed by The Newton Brothers (“The Haunting of Hill House”)

Not sure if that video is region restricted or not, if it is, this one should work

I own this book but have not read it yet. Will try to get to it before the movie comes out.

EDIT

Movie Poster

Spoiler'd for size

doctor-sleep-teaser-poster.jpg

Last edited:
I read The Shining as a teenager, so it's been awhile, but I seem to recall that "The Shine" has much more of a focus in the novel than in the movie, though someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Seems like "The Shine" is getting it's shine here.

Because the original had such a depth in the plot background, Im not sure a sequel is warranted. As with many, this sequel may suck, and I hope it doesn't answer questions which don't need to be asked.

The book that its based on is pretty ok, not as good as Kings earlier books but it was entertaining.

The trailer seems to really be about referencing the Shinning, i didnt actually get that feeling from the book. I could be remembering wrong but there was not so much talking about the Shinning in the book other than the Shine itself, Danny and then...the end. Like a lot of King books (Dark Tower) he isnt able to finish it up in a way that doesnt feel meh

Pretty sure the girl Abra wasnt black in the books though....but for some reason i get her and Alice from Cell mixed up

zeioIIDX

I read The Shining as a teenager, so it's been awhile, but I seem to recall that "The Shine" has much more of a focus in the novel than in the movie, though someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Seems like "The Shine" is getting it's shine here.
I believe you're right, I never understood why so many people LOVE the movie as much as they do because I always felt like the movie was...5 chapters worth of the book. It always felt like they left out so much stuff from the book and glossed over what the shine/shining even is. Like Dick Holloran smelled oranges/citrus anytime something was about to happen. I can't recall if that was even stated in the movie. The movie is good in its own way but for me, nowhere near as good as the book.

Director Mike Flanagan seems to have a pretty solid track record

I haven't seen all his stuff but Gerald's' Game was good, Hush was decent, Haunting of Hill House (tv series) was great IMO.

Haven't seen Oculus or the Ouija movie

-hal-

I enjoyed the book. I have mixed feelings about this movie, because I'd like to see it made, but it seems extremely unlikely that they'd do it justice.

While the movie The Shining had some great imagery and some good actors, it was disappointing that it veered so strongly away from the book. I feel like they're going to use The Shining movie as a reference instead of the books, which is a shame.

I get the feeling some of you aren't aware of the book Doctor Sleep, so let me say this: King, himself, hadn't planned on revisiting The Shining, but people kept asking him what ever happened to Danny Torrance. Eventually, he started to wonder that very thing.

A bit about the premise of Doctor Sleep (and I will try to be as vague as I can so that I do not totally spoil anything):

Danny finds himself struggling in life, drinking to supress his ability to shine. He finds he can use his talent to help terminally ill people through the process of dying and takes a job in kind of a hospice facility. He becomes aware of a little girl whose ability is far beyond his own, and realizes there is a very real and very dangerous threat to himself and anyone else that can Shine.

It's a great premise and it turns out it was totally worth unearthing the continuing story.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the story other than what I saw in this trailer. I am gonna try to read the book before the movie but will probably fail. I want to avoid spoilers just in case but I am also super intrigued by what's going on.

I know nothing about the story other than what I saw in this trailer. I am gonna try to read the book before the movie but will probably fail. I want to avoid spoilers just in case but I am also super intrigued by what's going on.

They defeat the end bad guy by touching penises together

dan76

What on earth was that? King hates Kubrick's The Shining, yet this movie seems to be leaning heavily on its imagery. The film certainly doesn't need any kind of sequel or explanation, the book maybe. It strikes me as cynical.

It's like The Force Awakens, Kubrick edition.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Should of done a reboot of the shining. Jack becomes Jill, Danny becomes Daniella. Instead of going crazy Jill uses her new Mary sue powers to solve the mysteries of the Overlook hotel and in the end girl power overcomes the evil spirits and Daniella and Jill live happy ever after.

All Toxic Masulinity and no Femanisim makes Jill go something something... CRAZY don't mind if I do.

I read the book and it wasn't bad, but it doesn't really live up to the legacy of The Shining.

For one it's barely scary, Stephen King deals more in "supernatural themed dramas" than he does straight up horror these days, he peppers his modern books with creepy moments but for the most part you read them for a good yarn, not to be really scared much.

I mean's King's best modern book, 11/22/63, is one that doesn't even try to be horror, with only one moment that really tries to be creepy, it's just an interesting story.

Bottom line don't expect this one to be nearly as scary as The Shining, but it'll probably be pretty good.

DiscoJer

I think the movie made the right choice - psychic powers might be okay in a horror movie if a villain has them (like say Carrie), but if the hero has them too, it ends up like a superhero movie.

mekes

The book is okay but not amongst my favourite King novels, mainly because of its wet fart of an ending. Dan Torrance looks much more clean cut than I ever imagined him from the book. I was excited when I heard this was being made but if anything my anticipation dropped after seeing that trailer. Will still watch.

Is this supposed to be a direct sequel to the Kubrick movie? Because that's what it looks like. Hopefully they sneak in a new voiceover from Jack Nicholson or something. Like, Jack's ghost warning Danny or something.

I started reading the book yesterday after the trailer dropped. I’m currently 53 percent through, according to my Kindle, and my three main takeaways/impressions thus far:

1.) Definitely feels like a King novel, feels about as King as it gets.

2.) Doesn’t really feel like The Shining. Almost feels more like a Dark Tower novel, which is hard to explain specifically what I mean without getting spoilerly.

3.) I feel like 80 percent of the 53 percent I’ve completed thus far won’t be in the movie. Not that it’s surprising or bad when this happens, should be expected somewhat, but I just feel the vast majority of what we read about before the moment on the bench shown in the trailer will be hard to either portray accurately/effectively (due to either the nature of novels Vs movies in general, and also the specific differences of The Shining novel vs The Shining film) or fit in from a time constraint angle.

Thus far it’s a pretty solid, mostly easy read IMO. Not blowing me away but I’m interested. Nowhere near as intense as what I remember reading from The Shining as a kid but maybe that’s just because I’m older?

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
When I saw the trailer I thought this would be a quick cash grab and nothing more, but then I realized Mike Flanagan is directing, which gives me hope this could actually be good. I'm interested.

Director Mike Flanagan seems to have a pretty solid track record

I haven't seen all his stuff but Gerald's' Game was good, Hush was decent, Haunting of Hill House (tv series) was great IMO.

Haven't seen Oculus or the Ouija movie
Don't forget Absentia. It's the first Mike Flanagan movie I saw and I really liked it. Well, I like pretty much everything I've seen from him. Great horror director.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I read the book and it wasn't bad, but it doesn't really live up to the legacy of The Shining.

For one it's barely scary, Stephen King deals more in "supernatural themed dramas" than he does straight up horror these days, he peppers his modern books with creepy moments but for the most part you read them for a good yarn, not to be really scared much.

I mean's King's best modern book, 11/22/63, is one that doesn't even try to be horror, with only one moment that really tries to be creepy, it's just an interesting story.

Bottom line don't expect this one to be nearly as scary as The Shining, but it'll probably be pretty good.

Too bad the live action series wound up being ass.

mekes

When I saw the trailer I thought this would be a quick cash grab and nothing more, but then I realized Mike Flanagan is directing, which gives me hope this could actually be good. I'm interested.

Don't forget Absentia. It's the first Mike Flanagan movie I saw and I really liked it. Well, I like pretty much everything I've seen from him. Great horror director.

Interesting. I really liked that movie when I saw it years back. Gives me a little more renewed hope for this film!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everybody knows Jack Nicholson's performance in the Shining is GOAT worthy, the trailer for this is clever and may turn out better than the Shining.

the visual style of stanley kubrick in the shining is pretty striking

and when i look at this it looks like a standard 2010+ studio horror

references/callbacks are clearly centered for maximum obviousness

in kubrick's movie there's a feeling of isolation and stillness even though the camerawork is so dynamic and it brings a kind of nervous discomfort feeling

going by the trailer for the new movie i feel like contact with others is plentiful and there's no need to worry

Directed by the guy who brought us such classics as Ouija and Ouija: Origin of Evil... yeah, no thanks. Don't touch Kubrick films, unless you're an equally as mad genius whose perfectionist work borders on the insane. I understand Stephen King writing a sequel in order to cash in on The Shining's reputation, but this movie looks like standard throwaway horror schlock.

Weiji

Banned
Looks like generic jumpscare salsher stuff.

There is such a stark contrast between Kubricks beautiful visuals and the new teal-tinted shit.

Seriously, looks like a generic made for Netflix slasher flick.

Way to piss on Kubrick's grave asshats.

Also:
“Abra, a courageous teenager”
“Abra’s innocence and fearless embrace of her shine”

They literally can’t even say her name without attaching woke buzzwords too it.

Gross.

I feel like some of the criticisms in the recent few posts are things the movie are doing in order to remain faithful to the book.

I mean it callbacks are a problem for you, definitely don’t read Doctor Sleep

Directed by the guy who brought us such classics as Ouija and Ouija: Origin of Evil... yeah, no thanks. Don't touch Kubrick films, unless you're an equally as mad genius whose perfectionist work borders on the insane. I understand Stephen King writing a sequel in order to cash in on The Shining's reputation, but this movie looks like standard throwaway horror schlock.

Haunting of Hill House, Gerald’s Game, Absentia, Hush, I mean he’s made some good stuff too.

dan76

The new trailer looks like shit. Overcolouered generic looking shit. Why can't anyone make good films anymore!?

McCheese

New trailer was bloody awful, I'm genuinely pissed off that this is in anyway related to one of the greatest films ever made.

Trailer looks like an average Stephen King movie. The best thing about original "Shining" is the fact that Kubrick did not want to copy everything from a book

Baradox

Neo Member
I love Kubrick. I love The Shining. And i really enjoy Stephen King books. So i decided to read Doctor Sleep in preperation for the new movie....and i hated it! I actually never disliked a book by King. Even his less interesting storys still do have some good stuff in them. But Doctor Sleep actualy put me...well...to sleep.
I do not understand, why King wrote a sequel to one of his best novels and focused it on a boring group of vampire like creatures who try to kill people that have the shining.

But the trailers seem to differ quite a bit from the book (well at least in some parts) so there is still hope ;)

Top Bottom