• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burai said:
It is a 90 minute episode. You just don't get to see the second half of it until next week!

SHYAMLALAMNAN TWIST!
WELL I DON'T WANT TO WAIT

But that's how it feels. Although cliffhung, it was like wait what it's done!?

Zomba13

Oh my god! Those aliens! Fucking freaky!
Properly scary Doctor Who monsters (at the very least going by their looks).

Fudge it. The whole amy pregnant thing struck me as a bit odd.
The fact that for 40 minutes of the programme it wasnt mentioned at all, amy so desperate to find the doctor again, rory not really seeming to aware that she was pregnant, the only time she tries to tell the Doctor is when shes alone with him. Why did the doctor look so shocked and the fact when he reacted like that Amy gave a little knowing nod to him (watched it back). Doctors baby!
All a very long shot I must admit.

captain wow said:
The fact that for 40 minutes of the programme it wasnt mentioned at all, amy so desperate to find the doctor again, rory not really seeming to aware that she was pregnant, the only time she tries to tell the Doctor is when shes alone with him. Why did the doctor look so shocked and the fact when he reacted like that Amy gave a little knowing nod to him (watched it back). Doctors baby!
Oh, there's something not right about the whole thing and the pains she was experiencing don't really add up to a
Pregnancy
when River was experiencing them too.

Mr. Sam

Sheppard said:
Well, they both might be
preggos
or it is a side effect from the Silent on women?

Or is it the same object from different parts in its timestream being so close to itself?

Kuraudo

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Oh my god! Those aliens! Fucking freaky!
Properly scary Doctor Who monsters (at the very least going by their looks).

They're terrifying in concept too - as soon as you turn to run away from them you forget there's something you're meant to run away from.

OMG Aero

Sheppard said:
Well, they both might be
preggos
or it is a side effect from the Silent on women?
I really hope it isn't an effect of the Silent unles it's some sort of mind control making her think and say that.
I find it really unrealistic that Amy would
feel sick and have a stomach ache 2 or 3 times in a couple of hours and instantly think "Well that means I'm pregnant. Better tell the Doctor."

Eteric Rice

I just realized. If
the little girl is River Song. Then it means this.

In silence of the library, the Doctor first meets River Song (in her dying day) in a space suit.

If the little girl is River Song, then she first meets the Doctor while in a space suit.

It also means that the first day the Doctor meets River, she dies. The first time River meets the Doctor, he dies.
It's like coming full circle or something.

Sheppard

OMG Aero said:
I really hope it isn't an effect of the Silent unles it's some sort of mind control making her think and say that.
I find it really unrealistic that Amy would
feel sick and have a stomach ache 2 or 3 times in a couple of hours and instantly think "Well that means I'm pregnant. Better tell the Doctor."

I see what you are saying on that and I agree on the fact that Amy would tell the Doctor first before Rory anyways. It is just what you would do if you had The Doctor around. In turn I don't think the Doctor is involved with that anyways.

A lot of people are claiming
The Doctor at the beginning of the episode is a clone of some sorts. I highly doubt that a clone would be able to start regenerating like the real Doctor would.

Then again, there is an episode later this season that deals with (FUTURE EPISODE SPOILERS!):
Dopplegangers

Dizzy

Banned
captain wow said:
As soon as she said she felt sick I thought they might be a pregnancy thing going on. lol can't really remember the episode despite watching it a few hours ago but didn't it happen to River too? I expect that the aliens make them pregnant somehow.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Dizzy said:
As soon as she said she felt sick I thought they might be a pregnancy thing going on. lol can't really remember the episode despite watching it a few hours ago but didn't it happen to River too? I expect that the aliens make them pregnant somehow.

I'd like to think it's not as simple as a pregnancy.

stupei

Okay this sucks a little. I can finally talk to you guys about spoilers, but only half of the spoilers and it doesn't air here for another 5 hours so I'm trying to go over again in my head which part was revealed when.

But in response to things already being discussed in the thread:
The idea of River and the Doctor moving in opposite directions really does seem to point to the astronaut being River, I agree, but in the library she said that he came to see her and they went on their romantic evening where he gave her the sonic. The Doctor has to remember this and know that since it hasn't happened yet, somehow he's getting out of his own death. Somehow.

Also just watched Karen's appearance on the Late Late Show and my god she was adorably nervous.

Zenith

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Jesus those fucking things are scary when they open their mouths. They make the Daleks look like bitches. Seriously, what the fuck.

Also, did anyone notice that
The Silent only kills a person when that person sees them like three or so times? Maybe the more you see them, the harder it is for them to erase the memory?[/soiler]
"Discussions about episodes that have aired in the UK, however, are not to be spoiler tagged."

maruchan

God I love dw, great start to the new season.. Doctor who in hd is awesome....

Does dw still have the tradition of getting famous writers to write episodesz? Like the old days when they would get people like Douglas Adams to write?

Kuraudo

Banned
stupei said:
Okay this sucks a little. I can finally talk to you guys about spoilers, but only half of the spoilers and it doesn't air here for another 5 hours so I'm trying to go over again in my head which part was revealed when.

But in response to things already being discussed in the thread:
The idea of River and the Doctor moving in opposite directions really does seem to point to the astronaut being River, I agree, but in the library she said that he came to see her and they went on their romantic evening where he gave her the sonic. The Doctor has to remember this and know that since it hasn't happened yet, somehow he's getting out of his own death. Somehow.

Also just watched Karen's appearance on the Late Late Show and my god she was adorably nervous.

But there's two hundred years between the present stuff and the Doctor's death, which is plenty of time for them to have a crazy relationship of events that aren't shown on-screen.

Thinking from a writer's point of view:
The visual imagery of the astronaut suit alone is meant to make the audience recall Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. It's fitting that both the Doctor's first meeting with River and vice versa would both involve a "space suit" of some kind.

Remember, a writer is always trying to point your mind, either subconsciously or otherwise, in a certain direction. This can either be meant to set you up for a big swerve or to make sure you stay on the right track.

It's fun messing with perception.

mattx5

So the the child astronaut is Amy's daughter? Or River Song? Or both? And did anyone else think that the Doctor putting on the astronaut helmet foreshadowed him being the astronaut from the beach - i.e. he kills himself? Although Eteric's point about the 'full circle' imagery is equally compelling.

stupei

Kuraudo said:
But there's two hundred years between the present stuff and the Doctor's death, which is plenty of time for them to have a crazy relationship of events that aren't shown on-screen.

But River says the last time I saw you when she refers to the time the Doctor gave her the sonic. If he actually dies here, that is the last time she saw him and it changes the entire dynamic of the meeting in the library. I just don't see Moffat retconning his own stuff to that degree.

8bit said:
Of everything, I loved the Easter Island statue allusion the most.

Writing for this show has to be the best experience ever. Where any other show would have to have a character suggesting Matt/the Doctor looks like that as a punchline, with Who he becomes the statue. They get to skip right past reference and make it total revision.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well that was a great episode. I wasn't following the Who's news closely, but I had no idea that 70% of season's teaser trailer would come from the premier.

But again, omg so good.

DoctorWho said:
Thinking from a writer's point of view:
The visual imagery of the astronaut suit alone is meant to make the audience recall Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. It's fitting that both the Doctor's first meeting with River and vice versa would both involve a "space suit" of some kind.
That's an interesting and fair point, but this wasn't
River's first meeting with the doctor :p

Jex

Damn that was a good season opener. As we already know from River Song, Moffat really loves messing around with time travel plots in a serious way and this was one particularly dramatic way to do that.

It's really hard to speculate about future events because the possibility for misdirection is extremely high. It's sure going to be fun to find out though.

Jinfash said:
Well that was a great episode. I wasn't following the Who's news closely, but I had no idea that 70% of season's teaser trailer would come from the premier.

But again, omg so good.

That's an interesting and fair point, but this wasn't
River's first meeting with the doctor :p

We don't know that for sure. Just to be clear
we're talking about the potential of the child being River and not the adult.

stupei said:
And just a little bit of a Dementor's kiss as well.

Oh, good point.

Zenith

Banned
stupei said:
But River says the last time I saw you when she refers to the time the Doctor gave her the sonic. If he actually dies here, that is the last time she saw him and it changes the entire dynamic of the meeting in the library. I just don't see Moffat retconning his own stuff to that degree.[/spiler]
That's the last time the Doctor saw her. As she's just spent time with his 900 year old self, him dying at 1100 can't be the last time she saw him. A past version could have taken her out on that date before the Library.

Mr. Sam

It's nice to have my speculation that The Doctor spends lots of time travelling by himself off-screen confirmed. Who's laughing now, internet?

Mr. Sam said:
It's nice to have my speculation that The Doctor spends lots of time travelling by himself off-screen confirmed. Who's laughing now, internet?

Just you.

That must be lonely.

I'd quote your avatar but I can't figure out how to.

Rokam

Will the BBC have new episodes up on their website, or will I be SOL? I see right now the newest is region locked, but I assume that's because it hasn't aired over here yet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DoctorWho said:
We don't know that for sure. Just to be clear
we're talking about the potential of the child being River and not the adult.
*ANEURYSM*

This is what I get for not following speculation threads, that and lacking some common sense. It all make sense now, especially considering what River was telling Rory. Horii shit.

How long have you guys known, or theorized this? anything else I need to know?

Also:
If someone is going to suggest that Amy's pregnancy, or child, is somehow going to be tied with River's origin story (ie: something as crazy as "River is Amy's daughter!!"), and provide something giving weight to it: I'm going to literally hang myself.

Either way:

fLAmF.gif
Moffat
Uotgo.gif

Whoa.

Im with the main theory in this thread. This season will be crazy.

The first half is seven episodes right? Which means the reveal will probably be the cliffhanger. Awesome.

8bit

Knows the Score
Rokam said:
Will the BBC have new episodes up on their website, or will I be SOL? I see right now the newest is region locked, but I assume that's because it hasn't aired over here yet.

You need to figure out how to bypass iplayer, it's possible.

Jinfash said:
*ANEURYSM*

This is what I get for not following speculation threads, that and lacking some common sense. It all make sense now, especially considering what River was telling Rory. Horii shit.

How long have you guys known, or theorized this? anything else I need to know?

Also:
If someone is going to suggest that Amy's pregnancy, or child, is somehow going to be tied with River's origin story (ie: something as crazy as "River is Amy's daughter!!"), and provide something giving weight to it: I'm going to literally hang myself.

Either way:

fLAmF.gif
Moffat
Uotgo.gif

We only started speculating about it at the end of this episode so you are completely in the loop. You can laugh along with us at all the people who don't know what the hell is going on.

Remember: He's being deliberately ridiculous to attract Amy and Rory's attention. There must be a reason for that.

He could have simply sent them an invitation and left it at that.

Anyone know the book Amy was reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom