• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
infiniteloop said:
Picked up this sexy sonofabitch today:

5161275103_cfd56f5d48.jpg

Just grabbed mine too. Had no idea the lenticular cover was in North America. I'm very pleased! Can't wait to play around with this tonight! I'm so excited!!!

Solo said:
God damn the dude who plays the Doctor is impossibly ugly

I appreciate the unusual/alien look when it comes to the Doctor. That's one of my favourite aspects of the fourth Doctor. The girls (and guys) can swoon over the 10th or 5th Doctor whenever they like.

Mr. Sam

And here I thought Solo had come to make fun of the idea of basing a franchise on one character portrayed by different actors.

Solo

Mr. Sam said:
And here I thought Solo had come to make fun of the idea of basing a franchise on one character portrayed by different actors.

:lol

No, just wanted to state how ugly dude is. Mission accomplished.

Thomper

For those with Spotify - the series 5 soundtrack is now available on it, accompanying the Specials Soundtrack release from last month.

He has a big fucking face, but I don't think he's ugly really. Once you get used to the large head he looks alright.

David Tennant was always more unsettling to me, I kept picturing a talking rooster. Must have been the hair.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tennant's hair looked really chic during his first series, but every subsequent season they made it spikier and spikier for no reason whatsoever.

ultron87

Solo said:
This show has far too much lineage/baggage for me to EVER contemplate getting into.

Start with the first episode with Matt Smith as the Doctor. It is ridiculously easy to get into. If you like it you can start digging into the older, but still new, stuff ala carte. And then if you really like it you can look into the super old stuff from the sixties.

Mr. Sam

Solo said:
This show has far too much lineage/baggage for me to EVER contemplate getting into.

Think we've all seen all the old series? I'd wager the majority of us probably haven't seen any full episodes prior to the reboot. Also, Series 5, Matt Smith's debut as noted above - and somewhat a reboot in its own right - is indeed a very good jumping on point. There's a lot of info contained in the FAQ in the OP as well. Just sayin' is all...

Solo said:

You do not have to start from 1963...

The series got rebooted in 2005, and that is a fantastic place to start (60ish episodes is not a huge ask). This year was technically a reboot too, so you could start from there and watch too (13 episode is a sinch). You do not need any old info to start this season either, it is just like a new sci-fi show started, and you could easily jump in. It is imposable to watch all 769 episode anyway :p

The really old episodes of Who are pretty much used as source material now, and anything that is brought up in NewWho is explained. Think of it as a new film / TV show been made from stories from a book.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Keyser Soze said:
You do not have to start from 1963...

The series got rebooted in 2005, and that is a fantastic place to start (60ish episodes is not a huge ask). This year was technically a reboot too, so you could start from there and watch too (13 episode is a sinch). You do not need any old info to start this season either, it is just like a new sci-fi show started, and you could easily jump in. It is imposable to watch all 769 episode anyway :p

The really old episodes of Who are pretty much used as source material now, and anything that is brought up in NewWho is explained. Think of it as a new film / TV show been made from stories from a book.

Yeah, I knew literally Zero of anything Doctor Who from before the new show.

I think Steven Moffat described Matt Smith's face as though someone took a handsome guy and distorted his face into a caricature.

Solo said:

The show itself is pretty self contained. All you need to know is that there is this wacky time traveller who travels the galaxy through time and space, while being accompanied by various humans. Fun and danger ensue.

It's not as though you are jumping into the middle of a show during its final season, like BSG for example.

Solo said:
God damn the dude who plays the Doctor is impossibly ugly
My friend's 12 year old daughter, and her friends, adore him.

Regulus Tera said:
Could have been worse:

pQZjZ.jpg

Ihr0y.jpg
I can't decide which of those is the worst Doctor ever.

(The question marks on their costumes are completely unnecessary.)

DoctorWho said:
I appreciate the unusual/alien look when it comes to the Doctor. That's one of my favourite aspects of the fourth Doctor. The girls (and guys) can swoon over the 5th Doctor whenever they like.

Fixed for me. :lol

I find Matt Smith oddly attractive. He isn't ugly by any means.

Listening to the OST now. "I Am the Doctor" is so fucking good. I'll have this on repeat for a while.

DoctorWho said:
Just watched the 11th Hour on Blu-Ray. If Solo were to start somewhere, it should be there.
Yeah, there really is no better place to start. I can't imagine Solo being able to sit through a lot of the Russel T Davies nonsense. :lol

Awesome job on the OP btw, Mr. Sam.

Solo

Christopher Eccelston is awesome. I think if I were to try anything, Id have to try his. I can't separate Tennant from his hilariously awful performance in Harry Potter and Smith is an extra terrestrial.

Solo said:
Christopher Eccelston is awesome. I think if I were to try anything, Id have to try his. I can't separate Tennant from his hilariously awful performance in Harry Potter and Smith is an extra terrestrial.
Eccleston is awesome, but he is saddled with some of the worst episodes and, again, i think you'd find Russel T. Davies writing style a huge turn off. Steven Moffat's sensibilities, however, would likely appeal to you. I think the quality gap in both writing and production values, from season 1-4 and 5, is pretty big (barring the occasional standout episode).

Solo said:

Hey, at least you'd be starting at the very beginning of New Who then. Of course, you'd have to make your way through Tennant's, great, run as well.

EDIT: The OP has a good list of episodes you should watch from New Who. You can probably skip the rest.

Solo said:
Eccelston was awesome as the Doctor, but Tennant is fantastic as well. Dont let his bad turn in HP turn you off, because his Doctor stuff is a lot of fun. There really isn't too much baggage to really jump in and enjoy the show. If you know the history, you get more out of it, but it is rather newbie friendly, and each time he gets a new companion they have to explain it all over again.

Give it a try Solo. I think they have most of the first four seasons on Netflix. And if you follow the list in the OP of this, that is a good primer of episodes while eliminating most of the shit episodes.

PhoncipleBone said:
Eccelston was awesome as the Doctor, but Tennant is fantastic as well. Dont let his bad turn in HP turn you off, because his Doctor stuff is a lot of fun. There really isn't too much baggage to really jump in and enjoy the show. If you know the history, you get more out of it, but it is rather newbie friendly, and each time he gets a new companion they have to explain it all over again.

Give it a try Solo. I think they have most of the first four seasons on Netflix. And if you follow the list in the OP of this, that is a good primer of episodes while eliminating most of the shit episodes.

Just to note Solo. Canada Netflix doesn't have them. :(

DoctorWho said:
Just to note Solo. Canada Netflix doesn't have them. :(
:( That sucks. I know a coworker of mine watched the first two seasons on Netflix, but I am in the States.

But Solo, listen to the boss (DoctorWho, his tag says so), and I. I thought we were mates. The show is just silly fun. It veers from extreme camp to some great sci fi stuff. If anything, it is just fun.

I think Steven Moffat elevates it to another level for me. Russell T Davies had some great moments, but just the overall feel of Moffat's run so far with Smith and Gillan makes me :D

I think it was good timing that a new Doctor came in when Moffat stepped up to the plate.

Discotheque said:
I think Steven Moffat elevates it to another level for me. Russell T Davies had some great moments, but just the overall feel of Moffat's run so far with Smith and Gillan makes me :D

I think it was good timing that a new Doctor came in when Moffat stepped up to the plate.
And the Moffat stuff during the Davies years was almost all awesome. I gush over "Blink" all the time, but dammit, it is that good.

I still have yet to see season 5, but it is in the mail and should be here by the weekend. My wife was the bigger who fan that I, but I always latched onto the Moffat stuff, and with him in charge now I am more excited to see season 5 than my wife.

And Karen Gillan being absolutely yummy makes it even better.

Whaaaat? You haven't seen it yet? Man you're gonna be pleasantly surprised/blown away/amused. Any or all of those things.

Blink was great.

Solo

Okay, I will make a one episode commitment - I will watch the S5 premiere. If I like it, I will continue, and if I don't I won't. I've never watched an episode of this show so I have no idea how I will take to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom