• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctors: You Are Being Lied to About Masks

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

Do they know the amount of screeching that is about to rain down on them? You can't question the narrative.. REEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Nov 24, 2018
For most sane leftists accepting masks don't work will result in major cognitive dissonance. They've willingly trapped themselves in such a network of beliefs that if one topples a whole range of their beliefs and actions over the past few months just shatters. To them its just easier to go along with the narrative.

Ichabod

Feb 18, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hearing this gives me hope. I'm beyond over this "new normal" and all the social engineering it entails. Just one of the many reasons I'll be voting against the side that, if they have their way, will enact mask mandates, contact tracing, and who knows what other draconian measures they see fit in the name of "keeping us safe."

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
LOL! OANN, credible source on science. Did they get the opinion of Dr. Demonsperm too? Buying a labcoat doesn't make you a doctor. And this would assume a collaboration of the vast majority of medical professionals (many of whom work on the frontlines of COVID treatment with masks and PPE) across the globe.

If your surgeon entered the operating room without a mask, right before they put you under, wouldn't you be just a little bit worried? And this is the case before the pandemic. As an engineer, and a child of science, I'm still somehow dismayed that people don't believe in basic medical science. This is shit you learn in elementary school.

If you watch or read OANN, you're intelligence has to be questioned. FFS.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
LOL! OANN, credible source on science. Did they get the opinion of Dr. Demonsperm too? Buying a labcoat doesn't make you a doctor. And this would assume a collaboration of the vast majority of medical professionals (many of whom work on the frontlines of COVID treatment with masks and PPE) across the globe.

If your surgeon entered the operating room without a mask, right before they put you under, wouldn't you be just a little bit worried? And this is the case before the pandemic. As an engineer, and a child of science, I'm still somehow dismayed that people don't believe in basic medical science. This is shit you learn in elementary school.

What a compelling argument you've made.

"BELIEVE SCIENCE (except when we say not to)!!!!11"

If you'd bothered to watch it, you'd see that they covered why they don't believe the masks help, because the masks we are using stop something the size of a hair, when viruses are small, in the .12 micron range which escapes around the mask and suspends in the air.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
What a compelling argument you've made.

"BELIEVE SCIENCE (except when we say not to)!!!!11"

If you'd bothered to watch it, you'd see that they covered why they don't believe the masks help, because the masks we are using stop something the size of a hair, when viruses are small, in the .12 micron range which escapes around the mask and suspends in the air.
Right, so the doctors in the COVID units for hospitals are using worthless N95 masks, amirite? You go ahead any keep believing OANN. I'm sure that'll work out great you for. I have a few N95 masks, and I wear them daily. My gf does as well. Asia has dealt with the pandemic a lot better than the US, which apparently set another daily record for infections. Keep fighting the good fight against common sense, soldier.

BTW, a mask is to protect everyone else from you, by minimizing (not completely eliminating) release of particulates. If 2 people both wear masks, th number of particles in the air are reduced. This in turn reduces the chance of those particles going sucked in through the mask filter. Again, you have your case study in how miserably the US has failed at containing the virus.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Right, so the doctors in the COVID units for hospitals are using worthless N95 masks, amirite? You go ahead any keep believing OANN. I'm sure that'll work out great you for. I have a few N95 masks, and I wear them daily. My gf does as well. Asia has dealt with the pandemic a lot better than the US, which apparently set another daily record for infections. Keep fighting the good fight against common sense, soldier.

BTW, a mask is to protect everyone else from you, by minimizing (not completely eliminating) release of particulates. If 2 people both wear masks, th number of particles in the air are reduced. This in turn reduces the chance of those particles going sucked in through the mask filter. Again, you have your case study in how miserably the US has failed at containing the virus.
Most people don't wear N95's. Most people carry one shitty disposable mask around and wear it repeatedly all day after touching it over and over again. Or they use a bandanna from home, which is even shittier. If the goal is to truly protect people, why are people like yourself silent when you see people wearing something that provides little to no protection? Your argument isn't with me, it's with these doctors, but you haven't even watched the video to argue your point, you just want to screech.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
Most people don't wear N95's. Most people carry one shitty disposable mask around and wear it repeatedly all day after touching it over and over again. Or they use a bandanna from home, which is even shittier. If the goal is to truly protect people, why are people like yourself silent when you see people wearing something that provides little to no protection? Your argument isn't with me, it's with these doctors, but you haven't even watched the video to argue your point, you just want to screech.
Most people where? Not here in Asia. A lot of N95 here. A lot of neoprene ones otherwise, which are good for containing liquid droplets. Wearing a mask to protect others from your illness seems to be popular in Japan and Korea. We had mandatory masks for almost 2 months here in Thailand, and the government provided free masks early on. Those being the surgical masks.

If there wasn't this bizarre anti-intellectual "mah rights" nonsense in the US, a mask mandate could have been put in place, and the government could have done a better job sourcing affordable masks to provide the citizens. It's not rocket science, but when a vocal minority are actively fighting against prevention (as you appear to be), then it makes a solution that much more difficult.

Here's how your resistance to mask-wearing has worked: 4% of the world population has 20% of all the cases and deaths. At what point do you admit to being wrong, and stop listening to crackpots in conservative media? I don't know, maybe you have the same healthcare as the president, so you don't care. Chris Christie seems to have changed his tune after a trip to the ICU.

Reactions: MrMephistoX

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Masks work. The question is how much they work. If people can't be even willing to admit they make at least a small difference at a minimum, then that's just being a contrarian just because you can't bring yourself to fall on the same side of an issue as people on the left.

If you wanna take issue with it being mandated to wear them every single time you step outside your home I'll agree with you. But that's a different debate entirely from whether or not they work. But trying to argue they don't work at all is right wing conspiratorial nonsense.

I'm gonna call out the nutty right wing shit just like I'll call out the nutty left wing shit.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Most people where? Not here in Asia. A lot of N95 here. A lot of neoprene ones otherwise, which are good for containing liquid droplets. Wearing a mask to protect others from your illness seems to be popular in Japan and Korea. We had mandatory masks for almost 2 months here in Thailand, and the government provided free masks early on. Those being the surgical masks.

If there wasn't this bizarre anti-intellectual "mah rights" nonsense in the US, a mask mandate could have been put in place, and the government could have done a better job sourcing affordable masks to provide the citizens. It's not rocket science, but when a vocal minority are actively fighting against prevention (as you appear to be), then it makes a solution that much more difficult.

Here's how your resistance to mask-wearing has worked: 4% of the world population has 20% of all the cases and deaths. At what point do you admit to being wrong, and stop listening to crackpots in conservative media? I don't know, maybe you have the same healthcare as the president, so you don't care. Chris Christie seems to have changed his tune after a trip to the ICU.
Again, the disposable masks and bandanas do not stop viruses. It even says so on the side of the box. Further, 85% of Covid patients say they were wearing masks all the time or frequently. People aren't being told "wear an N95 mask" they're being told to wear anything. Hell, the presidential candidates are using cloth masks and those don't stop viruses either. I don't care if people want to wear maks; that's not my point. My point is that finger waggers are telling people to wear something as protection that doesn't protect them and are actually causing people to touch their faces because they're always fucking with the masks. You tell me who the crackpots are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stimpak

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
For most sane leftists accepting masks don't work will result in major cognitive dissonance. They've willingly trapped themselves in such a network of beliefs that if one topples a whole range of their beliefs and actions over the past few months just shatters. To them its just easier to go along with the narrative.
What does the mask stuff have to do with being left or right? In fact, tha rather left government of Sweden did not introduce a mask mandate, whereas the conservative German government did. This is question is outside of the traditional left / right division.

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
Again, the disposable masks and bandanas do not stop viruses. It even says so on the side of the box. Further, 85% of Covid patients say they were wearing masks all the time or frequently. People aren't being told "wear an N95 mask" they're being told to wear anything. Hell, the presidential candidates are using cloth masks and those don't stop viruses either. I don't care if people want to wear maks; that's not my point. My point is that finger waggers are telling people to wear something as protection that doesn't protect them and are actually causing people to touch their faces because they're always fucking with the masks. You tell me who the crackpots are.

Most masks, as the bare minimum stop droplet/particles that carry the virus. This helps minimize the amount of virus that is spread. Most of it isn't spread as single airborne viruses. If that was the case, Asia wouldn't have been able to contain the spread, and healthcare workers would all have fallen ill within the first weeks.

Everyone wearing a mask and social distancing therefore reduces airborne particles, and all you're left with is the airborne virus, which doesn't appear to be a major factor in how this virus is spread. Again, evidenced even in the US, by the fact that most healthcare workers were able to avoid infection through even disposable masks and garbage bags. Stop listening to crackpot nonsense online. There's no point discussing this further, because it's just plain idiotic. I can't fucking fly home to visit my family this winter, because of asshats who can't grasp the basics.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
Let's face it, some people just can't handle being wrong. After all, their cooperation has destroyed economies, destroyed families, demonised common sense and killed people. Would you admit a mistake of that magnitude?

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Jan 8, 2014

China stopped wearing the masks in a shorter amount of time than we have.

SKM1

Mar 7, 2018

Taken from http://12160.info/m/blogpost?id=2649739:BlogPost:2035264 :

As a person who went to medical school, I was shocked when I read Neil Orr’s study, published in 1981 in the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Dr. Orr was a surgeon in the Severalls Surgical Unit in Colchester. And for six months, from March through August 1980, the surgeons and staff in that unit decided to see what would happen if they did not wear masks during surgeries. They wore no masks for six months, and compared the rate of surgical wound infections from March through August 1980 with the rate of wound infections from March through August of the previous four years. And they discovered, to their amazement, that when nobody wore masks during surgeries, the rate of wound infections was less than half what it was when everyone wore masks. Their conclusion: “It would appear that minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all” and that wearing a mask during surgery “is a standard procedure that could be abandoned.”

I was so amazed that I scoured the medical literature, sure that this was a fluke and that newer studies must show the utility of masks in preventing the spread of disease. But to my surprise the medical literature for the past forty-five years has been consistent: masks are useless in preventing the spread of disease and, if anything, are unsanitary objects that themselves spread bacteria and viruses.
  • Ritter et al., in 1975, found that “the wearing of a surgical face mask had no effect upon the overall operating room environmental contamination.”

• Ha’eri and Wiley, in 1980, applied human albumin microspheres to the interior of surgical masks in 20 operations. At the end of each operation, wound washings were examined under the microscope. “Particle contamination of the wound was demonstrated in all experiments.”

• Laslett and Sabin, in 1989, found that caps and masks were not necessary during cardiac catheterization. “No infections were found in any patient, regardless of whether a cap or mask was used,” they wrote. Sjøl and Kelbaek came to the same conclusion in 2002.

• In Tunevall’s 1991 study, a general surgical team wore no masks in half of their surgeries for two years. After 1,537 operations performed with masks, the wound infection rate was 4.7%, while after 1,551 operations performed without masks, the wound infection rate was only 3.5%.

• A review by Skinner and Sutton in 2001 concluded that “The evidence for discontinuing the use of surgical face masks would appear to be stronger than the evidence available to support their continued use.

• Lahme et al., in 2001, wrote that “surgical face masks worn by patients during regional anaesthesia, did not reduce the concentration of airborne bacteria over the operation field in our study. Thus they are dispensable.”

• Figueiredo et al., in 2001, reported that in five years of doing peritoneal dialysis without masks, rates of peritonitis in their unit were no different than rates in hospitals where masks were worn.

• Bahli did a systematic literature review in 2009 and found that “no significant difference in the incidence of postoperative wound infection was observed between masks groups and groups operated with no masks.

• Surgeons at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, recognizing the lack of evidence supporting the use of masks, ceased requiring them in 2010 for anesthesiologists and other non-scrubbed personnel in the operating room. “Our decision to no longer require routine surgical masks for personnel not scrubbed for surgery is a departure from common practice. But the evidence to support this practice does not exist,” wrote Dr. Eva Sellden.

• Webster et al., in 2010, reported on obstetric, gynecological, general, orthopaedic, breast and urological surgeries performed on 827 patients. All non-scrubbed staff wore masks in half the surgeries, and none of the non-scrubbed staff wore masks in half the surgeries. Surgical site infections occurred in 11.5% of the Mask group, and in only 9.0% of the No Mask group.

• Lipp and Edwards reviewed the surgical literature in 2014 and found “no statistically significant difference in infection rates between the masked and unmasked group in any of the trials.” Vincent and Edwards updated this review in 2016 and the conclusion was the same.

• Carøe, in a 2014 review based on four studies and 6,006 patients, wrote that “none of the four studies found a difference in the number of post-operative infections whether you used a surgical mask or not.”

• Salassa and Swiontkowski, in 2014, investigated the necessity of scrubs, masks and head coverings in the operating room and concluded that “there is no evidence that these measures reduce the prevalence of surgical site infection.”

• Da Zhou et al., reviewing the literature in 2015, concluded that “there is a lack of substantial evidence to support claims that facemasks protect either patient or surgeon from infectious contamination.”
Schools in China are now prohibiting students from wearing masks while exercising. Why? Because it was killing them. It was depriving them of oxygen and it was killing them. At least three children died during Physical Education classes -- two of them while running on their school’s track while wearing a mask. And a 26-year-old man suffered a collapsed lung after running two and a half miles while wearing a mask.

Mandating masks has not kept death rates down anywhere. The 20 U.S. states that have never ordered people to wear face masks indoors and out have dramatically lower COVID-19 death rates than the 30 states that have mandated masks. Most of the no-mask states have COVID-19 death rates below 20 per 100,000 population, and none have a death rate higher than 55. All 13 states that have death rates higher 55 are states that have required the wearing of masks in all public places. It has not protected them.

“We are living in an atmosphere of permanent illness, of meaningless separation,” writes Benjamin Cherry in the Summer 2020 issue of New View magazine. A separation that is destroying lives, souls, and nature.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Most masks, as the bare minimum stop droplet/particles that carry the virus. This helps minimize the amount of virus that is spread. Most of it isn't spread as single airborne viruses. If that was the case, Asia wouldn't have been able to contain the spread, and healthcare workers would all have fallen ill within the first weeks.

Everyone wearing a mask and social distancing therefore reduces airborne particles, and all you're left with is the airborne virus, which doesn't appear to be a major factor in how this virus is spread. Again, evidenced even in the US, by the fact that most healthcare workers were able to avoid infection through even disposable masks and garbage bags. Stop listening to crackpot nonsense online. There's no point discussing this further, because it's just plain idiotic. I can't fucking fly home to visit my family this winter, because of asshats who can't grasp the basics.
There are more than a few scientific journals that say masks don't prevent contamination, but by all means, continue to clutch your talisman and pretend you know one way or the other.

Scientists don't seem settled exactly on how it's spread. First they said it could live on surfaces for a long time, then they recanted. Then they changed back. First they said masks are worthless, then they recanted. First they said animals couldn't get it, then they recanted. The CDC says it's passed on by coughing, but also breathing. You don't shoot out droplets when you breathe, and certainly not the kind that some shitty little single use mask or a pair of your sister's panties with a couple of loops of fabric on them are going to stop. You're also ignoring that it can enter through the eyes whether that comes from particles in the air, being sneezed/coughed on, or touching your eye after you touch your filthy petri dish mask that you've taken off and put back on 30 times already. You're still ignoring the fact that cases went up during lockdowns when most people were wearing masks. Further, countries like Sweden that didn't lockdown at all and just encouraged people to behave responsibly have had much better results than countries with stringent lockdowns. I know this might be a difficult concept for an absolutist like yourself, but is it possible that not all countries are the same and that some countries are going to fare better/worse based on customs and norms than others whether they have mask mandates or not?

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
This is from South Dakota. Imo at least part of this is behaviorally based, there is no reason that the mask mandate would suddenly cause a drop. So I don't like this graph even though I've posted it. The peaks and troughs are certainly less severe however.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Vier

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
On June 8th California had a mask mandate

They had 3159 cases that day

Today 3105 cases.

4 months later with the mask mandate and they have the same amount of cases.

but ya its all right wing asshats.

I am sure in optimal settings with 100% observation to mask protocol, along with SD and hygene masks do help reduce the spread of the virus. My friend works in a hospital and has stayed away from corona chan thanks to kitting up head to toe and using multiple masks per day.

Some schmoe like Biden who wears the same cotton mask after putting inside his pocket, or touches his mask 60 times is not perfect lab conditions.

And in the end I wouldnt have an issue with this mask stuff if governments lived up to their side of the bargain but they lied like liars. wear a mask and we can go back to sort of normal, LIES. they mandate masks and then 2 months later go back into lock downs. They mandate masks and 2 months later we have more cases and hospitalizations.

New York had a mask mandate since April 15th, yet here they are closing schools, limiting indoor dining etc... But I guess according to Cuomo thats the fault of the Jews LOL.

Someone in government needs to answer why their mask mandates are doing nothing and why even with the masks they are still closing schools and business's. Why do people just accept failure without accountability? and blaming DRUMPF or DA JOOOOS doesnt cut it for me.

Last edited:

sackings

Jul 22, 2020
the evidence is pretty overwhelming that masks dont really seem to make a difference. At least, the garbage-ass cloth masks everyone is wearing doesnt do shit. What we should have done is spent money providing n95 masks for the old and vulnerable. Protect the vulnerable, rest of us keep calm and carry on.

NeoIkaruGAF

Dec 8, 2019
NeoGAF has really nosedived in terms of sanity. Like a bizarro REE.
Please don‘t generalize.
More than one user in this very thread challenging the OP freely, insane or not.
I consider the fact that these discussion can be even aired here a good thing. You’re free to ridicule an opinion, but I for one am thankful some opinions aren’t censored without question.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
Doctors: you are being lied to about masks. Don't wear a mask.
Other Doctors: yeah, you totally are. Just not by us. Wear a mask.
Me: I'm not sure who's right, but I some people I know died of COVID, so why take the chance

Reactions: Vier

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Ah yes
Doctors
On OANN
Don't take my word for it, or even the doctors who had this press conference. Take the CDC's word for it:

Go to 7:00. "Researchers lack evidence that masks offer any protection against Covid 19." This is from over two months ago, but yet you still have the talisman clutchers shrieking about listening to science that they don't even know disagrees with them. And by the way, did that report from the CDC get any play at all from the media?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Petey-o

Whataborman

Apr 19, 2018
Masks work. The question is how much they work.
If something works 1% of the time it still technically "works."

Sure, masks work but increasingly it doesn't seem like they work any better than not wearing a mask. So technically saying "masks work" is true but it really doesn't tell the whole story.

Of course, we're talking about the mask that the average person wears, not N95 masks. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone with one of those on.

But, as I've said before, the argument shouldn't be about the effectiveness of masks, the argument/discussion should be about the government's ability to mandate their use.

I personally don't care how effective masks are, the government (state, local, or national) should not be able to legally force me to wear one if I don't want to.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
If your surgeon entered the operating room without a mask, right before they put you under, wouldn't you be just a little bit worried?
Surgeons also do not operate on people when they are sick with a respiratory infection, because they know the mask isn't adequate protection in those instances.

If your surgeon came in coughing and sneezing but was like, "no worries, I'll slap on this shitty cloth mask I got for $14.99 for 5 from Amazon" would you feel fine?

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
Ah yes
Doctors
On OANN
Have you any idea how ridiculous your stance is? They're showing footage of legitimate doctors. Do you think OANN have doctors of their own? If they showed footage of Dr Fauci, would that make what he says illegitimate? Thousands and thousands of doctor, specialists, virologists, scientists around the world have been saying exactly the same as these doctors. Their approach is backed up by history and methods going back to the beginning of mankind.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny

Stimpak

Jun 20, 2019
California, USA

Sure, masks work but increasingly it doesn't seem like they work any better than not wearing a mask. So technically saying "masks work" is true but it really doesn't tell the whole story.

Of course, we're talking about the mask that the average person wears, not N95 masks. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone with one of those on.

But, as I've said before, the argument shouldn't be about the effectiveness of masks, the argument/discussion should be about the government's ability to mandate their use.

I personally don't care how effective masks are, the government (state, local, or national) should not be able to legally force me to wear one if I don't want to.
Exactly. If people feel safer wearing masks, let them. Those who don’t want to wear them should be given the same consideration. However, we all know who’s screaming at whom over wearing masks.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013

That's not really true though, tons of unofficial studies indicate they work well, though not flawlessly. I've seen some that argue against it, but there's far more evidence for them than against.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie - 12Deflections
Mar 1, 2017
Let's face it, some people just can't handle being wrong. After all, their cooperation has destroyed economies, destroyed families, demonised common sense and killed people. Would you admit a mistake of that magnitude?
you still believe in pizza gate dude

Whataborman

Apr 19, 2018
That's not really true though, tons of unofficial studies indicate they work well, though not flawlessly. I've seen some that argue against it, but there's far more evidence for them than against.
Like I said before, the discussion has always been centered around masks vs. no masks, when it should be centered around the government's ability to force you to wear them.

They could be 100% effective and I still don't think the government should have the power to tell me to wear them.

you still believe in pizza gate dude

In terms of there being pedophiles at high levels of power in this county? I absolutely do.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny
Aug 21, 2018
I think it is more mask work well when combine with outher counter measure like social distaning and general cleainess like washing hand.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
I don't find this amusing in the least. I can see what's going on here and I'm sure others can too. Like I keep saying: Mask wearers are brown shirts. Burn the fucking things before it's too late, if it isn't already ... 'comrades'.

Still, people don't understand how serious this is. Trump MUST win. I quite like living in a free society.

Last edited:

ipukespiders

Oct 9, 2006
I hate masks. And yes, I wear one for eight hours a day. It sucks. It's hard to breathe. I can't hardly understand my cook in a noisy kitchen.

I'm sure as hell no lefty.

However, I can't argue with the success we've had since implementing masks indoors here in Nova Scotia. I also don't know anyone that has gotten sick (regular cold/flu) for ages.

Maybe it's not the masks that work, but the distancing that seeing another person with a mask on causes.

Last edited: