Does a Celebrity's Politics effect your view of them?

Are you able to separate a Celebrity (Actor, Musician etc) and their political views and the enjoyment of watching them?

I can do this for some actors and musicians but some I just cannot.

Example: Adam Baldwin whom I love watching in shows, every since My Bodyguard, through various movies to television shows like Chuck, Firefly, Angel, The Last Ship. I love his presence. Hell I've even gotten into a Twitter Arguement that lasted a weekend. I still like him. His politics are abhorrent to me.

James Woods. FUCK THAT GUY

Charlie Daniels Band: The Devil Went Down to Georgia. One of my favourite songs of all time. Charlie is a fucking dick though.

I think their must be another quality that makes me able to overlook certain Celebrities politics. It's very rare that if they are on an opposite side politically of me that I enjoy their work.

Hell even Sean Penn whom I align with nauseates me when I see him talk politics. I loved his early stuff, now I'll never watch another movie of his.

Dec 4, 2011
Portland, OR
Not really.
Alex Baldwin's done and said some dumb stuff but 30 Rock wouldn't be the same without him.

But, then again, Adam Baldwins GamerGate stuff didn't sour me to Jayne on Firefly, but I do think I consciously subtly avoid him in things.

It varies, I guess.
Also, Baldwins are problematic.

Mar 12, 2014
A celebrities political view does not usually affect my opinion of them at all. A celebrities belief that they should ram their political opinion down everyone's throat most certainly does.

Aug 19, 2007
Political no. But some personal stances would annoy me. But wouldnt stop me from enjoying their work if they are an entertainer. I am still going to see Tom Cruises movies, I dont care what his religion is.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
No. They'd have to be confirmed a member of a Hate group or a criminal for me to care. I am too self centered to worry about other peoples opinion. I only care about their actions honestly.

Dec 3, 2013
Nah. While I may have my own opinions towards theirs, their job is to entertain us. If they still provide that quality entertainment, I will still watch/listen to their work. But that is where it stops for all celebrities, etc..

I do not celebrity worship or get starstruck. In my line of work I shake hands with many actors, musicians, athletes. and public figures, in which they are not treated any better or any worse than your non famous hard working person by me. At the end of the day, all of our shit stinks.

Last edited: