• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does abandoning games you've sunk significant time in bother you?

SSfox

For me it's simple. If I drop a game before finish it means i don't like it ( which tbh fortunately don't happen to me often for games I buy day 1), and so in those case i very likely sell the game.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don't suddenly abandon games after like 50+ hours of playing them because of not liking them anymore. I try to finish at least the main story if I'm starting to get bored with the rest.

Now my work involves both lighter and crazy amount of work months so I had to stop playing big games on multiple occasions and that can bother me. And unfortunately in some cases I didn't return to these games (at least not yet ;)).

mansoor1980

for single player games its not an issue as i can keep the save files but online/subscription based games are hard to abandon

Amiga

OCD forced me to finish Last of Us 2,
Destiny 2 became more grindy and less rewarding, and the community became less welcoming for non-clan players.
some games have cheap difficulty spikes that forced me to give up even though I wanted to keep playing.

I can't do it. I rarely quit games. If I do, it's usually early on when the thought of having to do another 50+ hours of it sounds too daunting. This happened recently with Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

BigLee74

Previously, if I had bought a game for actual cash, then it was getting played regardless of how bad it turned out to be.

Now I only try new stuff if on game pass, so don’t feel bad if I dump a game as soon as it becomes a drag (given I paid for three years worth ages ago).

Control for example, after 8 hours or so, I tapped out.

HomebrewHero

Neo Member
This thread could be titled "Do you finish Ubisoft games?" All their open world games suffer from bloat. Lots of mentions of AC, I did push a bit to beat Origins because I knew I was close, but started Odyssey soon after and dropped it after about 20 hours. With Valhalla I'm 40 hours into and just started back up after taking a break for Cyberpunk. The Far Cry series is guilty as well, I really enjoyed 5 but after liberating the third area just got burned out on it. I really wonder if most people actually enjoy this, just want more for their money, or could Ubi tighten these games up without public outcry?

regawdless

Banned
I abandon games when I think I've had enough. If a game fails to keep my interest, I have a ton of other games to play. So no, it doesn't bother me. I'm oversaturated with games and only put time into the best ones.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Games are for having fun. If I spend 100 hours in a game and stop having fun, I'll just abandon it without looking back. Life's too short to be worried about such little things.

Last edited:
Games are for having fun. If I spend 100 hours in a game and stop having fun, I'll just abandon it without looking back. Life's too short to be worried about such little things.
Exactly this. I like the dinner and drinks analogy too. We all can easily spend the amount it costs for a new game for a nice dinner and some drinks and that "fun" last a few hours if that. Also with Game Pass and PS Now there is zero remorse just dropping a game like a fly.

JayK47

It does bother me. I tend to force my way through it. But I have stopped from time to time. Mostly jRPGs with ridiculous bosses or secrete (or true) endings.

John2290

Massively but what hurts me more is juggling a few "big" games and investing time and money and then I suddenly get one of those "eh, I couldn't be arsed" periods with games. Trying really hard to stick with and not fall off the switch games I'm juggling now and fall it a burn out, pissing money to the wind.

I have to start over if i spend too long away and it's infuriating but it often leads to the best gaming I have, like with Divinity OS2 this year after a two year break on a 90 hour save and starting fresh, man it was so much better the second time around and weaving in and out of content I'd touched on and not.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Most definitely! If I sank a ton of time into it and didn't see it to the end it almost feels like a waste of time.

I haven't done it TOO many times, thankfully. But the few times I have has been enough to make me annoyed. The last two games have been Shadow of War and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. I want to finish both, I just don't have the desire to. The longer I go without playing them, the more I don't care to. It sucks, lol.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, it bothers me, which is why I try to be picky about new games and I enjoy replaying old games. I often choose to sink another 50 hours into an old game instead of spending 50 to beat and forever forget some new hotness.

A big exception to this would be multiplayer with friends. I know that those experiences are ethereal and will fade with time. Whether I spent 100 or 1000 hours in a multiplayer game, I consider it time well spent with friends even if we never, ever return to that game in the future.

When it comes to "sticking it out" with a game and giving it dozens of hours only to abandon it in disgust later, I try to abandon games as early as I can. I mean, time wasted is worse than my fear of missing out. I don't think I'm judgmental. I'm generally not the sort of snide person who follows a game from thread to thread, poisoning it with my own angry take. I try to "part on good terms" with a game, and if I can sense it's not going to be up my alley, I ditch it, wash my hands, and try to appreciate the time I did spend with it. Most recently, Kingdom Come Deliverance was that way. Wonderful game that I sunk dozens of hours into, but I reached a certain point where I got sick of progressing at the pace of crawling on my hands and knees.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Most definitely! If I sank a ton of time into it and didn't see it to the end it almost feels like a waste of time.

I haven't done it TOO many times, thankfully. But the few times I have has been enough to make me annoyed. The last two games have been Shadow of War and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. I want to finish both, I just don't have the desire to. The longer I go without playing them, the more I don't care to. It sucks, lol.
How far are you into Yakuza: LaD? It got really interesting near the end for me.

Aesius

It does, actually. And I rarely do it. When it happens, I often go back and complete the game later, sometimes years later.

However, I typically only play extremely well-reviewed, "must-play" games. Or games that I know I will really enjoy. So when I drop a game, I rarely shelve it permanently. For example, it took me years of "false starts" to finally get hooked on KOTOR, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Witcher 3. Now those are some my favorite games ever. And I didn't enjoy them at first, but I'm very thankful that I preserved and pushed through until they "clicked."

The Fartist

Gold Member
I've played Fallout 3 for more than 500 hours, never finished it. Stopped playing it 6 years ago.

Edit: forgot to mention I started it on PS3, didn't finish, started it again on PC and didn't finish, hence the 500+ hours. It didn't bother me one bit, it was a blast from start to never finished. Wish I could say the same about FO4.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered by stopping playing when I've had enough, what bothers me is how many games are so bloated with repetitive busy work, unnecessary, baren open worlds and grindy, unfulfiling gameplay loops that I'm bored of them well before the end.

I can stomach 1 AAA open world game a year, at most, but even more linear games tend to be way too long winded now too.

RyRy93

I can drop a 100 hour RPG fine, it's the MP focused games where you have invested several hundred or even thousands of hours in that are hard.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

5000 hours in Dota 2.

Doesn't bother me. It's time I spent playing with many friends throughout the years. I might feel bad about spending less time than I maybe should being productive and wasting too much on games here or there - but increased time on one game doesn't make me feel bad if I abandon it at some point.

Trogdor1123

Yes and no. I hate quiting a game when I'm the middle of something. Fallout 4 for me is an example. I like the game a bunch and I'm building settlements (which I never thought I would like but I do!) And that takes a bunch of time but the settlements I've really built up never seem to get attacked so I'm not sure if it's a waste of time.

TintoConCasera

I'm a bit after fighting the leader of the Geomijul I believe. Been a bit!
I see! Was that in chapter 7 or 8? You still have like half the game ahead. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I recommend you to keep playing tho! For me it was a bit boring gameplay wise until later, when it starts getting harder and the gameplay becomes more enjoyable and less mindless. Also the story is nuts, really, one of the best ending scenes I've seen, pretty emotional.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yea it bugs me, but it’s also why I don’t have a Platinum trophy yet. I have over 3000 trophies and not a single platinum. I’ll drop the game before I invest a lot of time into it. A lot of games I’ll stick to the main quest if I’m not really getting into it. By the time the credits roll, I’ve gotten enough out of the game or I’ve kinda gotten tired of the same game play loop. A lot of games can be finished in 30 hours or less. I’ll invest 50-60 hours into a role playing game. If I’m at that point, I plan to finish the game. I have 150 or 160 hours in Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. I have finished both games, but I didn’t do everything. I have over 90 hours in Dark Souls III and I’ve finished it twice on PS. Add another 30 hours for the playthrough I did on Xbox. I like that better than say 150 hours and not have finished the game.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm looking at abandoning Days Gone ffs and I was loving it, I've hit the first proper horde mission and I don't have enough skills points placed into the right skills to help with taking out a horde and more importantly I'm completely fucking shite at running and accurately gunning them down or hitting explosive barrels and shit.

Everytime i die i restart and can't get out of the mission and I'm starting to lose patience with it which is a pity as i was really enjoying the game and would love to see it through to the end, now that i have the new Tomb Raider game via plus I'll probably just abandon it and play it instead

kyussman

This is a well timed thread for me as I'm currently playing Skyrim for the first time....I'm level 25,and have put quite a bit of time in,but I'm not sure if I want to carry on for much longer and I never usually drop games.
I'm only playing it because I've not nothing left to play on my PS4 and haven't got a PS5 yet.
I think I've been spoiled by newer open world games because I'm finding Skyrim to be a bit underwhelming and the combat is really awful too.It also doesn't help that it seems there are about two male voice actors.....one guy that did all the Nord voices and Nick Valentine from Fallout 4,lol......which having played Fallout 4 first is really immersion breaking!
Anyway,I'm sure the game deserved all the accolades it got back in the day but I think I'm just a bit late to the party with it and I've played far better open world games on my PS4...also,did I mention how bad the combat is....I take it all back Witcher III,I'll never moan about your combat again,lol.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
It's liberating.

AyY93Gx.jpg
Id post my ffxi play time but honestly even after seeing your warframe playtime I’m embarrassed... I had almost every job to level cap and several emp and relic weapons completely upgraded.... I had to walk away from ffxiv as I saw myself slipping into the same pattern. Work FFXIV and that was it. Couldn’t even play other games without drifting back to FFXIV

Ten_Fold

Somewhat, I put like 30 hours in DQ 11, just got bored of the turn based. I guess I felt I wasted my time

Not single player but, I got like 16kBP in SF5 in the first 6-7 months an it took a while to get up to that point all for me to say I just didn’t like it. It seems good now, might get back into it.

Saber

Gold Member
If the game tries to hard to annoy you or make demented mechanics for gods knows the reason, then yeah. I see no problem.

This is a well timed thread for me as I'm currently playing Skyrim for the first time....I'm level 25,and have put quite a bit of time in,but I'm not sure if I want to carry on for much longer and I never usually drop games.

Gonna give you a big spoiler. The game does not get any better.
If you want to trully enjoy and have fun with this game, try instaling mods. Otherwise, it's a very mediocre experience. Bugs and crashes gonna make you quit this game for good and it has way too much mentally ill mechanics for it's own good(like npcs having exclusive skills to deal extra damage and receive less damage from you, endless magicka enemies, etc).

Last edited:

Fbh

It used to.
But over the years my mentality has shifted to "if I'm not consistently having fun with it, just drop it".

I think the one exception this gen was Persona 5. Like 80 hours in I finally had enough of the slow pacing and never ending padding, but I was still invested in the characters and story enough to want to see how it ends. Thankfully I could just switch over to easy to rush through the final dungeons (still set it back to hard for bosses as those are legitimately fun).

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The moment you stopped having fun with a game is wasted time. When i saw how AC Valhalla gameplay loop looked like i knew the game doesn't deserve my time, so i skipped it and watched the cinematics on youtube. If you are not having fun with a game, drop it and play something else.

Yeah, I understand exactly how this feels. I was thinking I was done in the U.K. in Valhalla. Suddenly there were two more regions to add to the vision quest I’d been putting off. It was at that moment I suddenly remembered that feeling when an exercise instructor says there are three more, then two more, and one more... and just a few more to go. Wait, what happened to ... ahh screw this, I’m done.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Punch your hours into the game and get the fuck out, don’t mess with that DLC shit.

Zog

Banned
Nah, either I am excited to start another game or I just have had too much of the current game and want to be done with it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Somewhat, I put like 30 hours in DQ 11, just got bored of the turn based. I guess I felt I wasted my time

Not single player but, I got like 16kBP in SF5 in the first 6-7 months an it took a while to get up to that point all for me to say I just didn’t like it. It seems good now, might get back into it.
Did you by chance increase the battle speed to max? That’s helped me tremendously. I also set everyone to auto for grinding in certain areas.

I did something similar in SFV. I had 60 hours, lots of matches online, and I dropped it after the first or second season pass. I kept watching what they would release as DLC. I got Akuma and Sagat and then sat it back down. It wasn’t as interesting. I got the Championship Edition thinking I’d come back.

I only abandon games when I've gotten all I want out of them. I don't care how many hours I have in it, if I'm losing interest for any reason I move on. No ragerts.

GenericUser

Not really, no. I play games to have a good time, to be entertained. If a games starts to bore me, I usually just put it down. Either just for a couple of days, or for good. It doesn't matter if I sunk 2 hours or 200 hours into the game. I don't care about the concept of "backlogs" I just play what I want, when I want.

Ryu Kaiba

Lol people take too long to realize what a soulless grindfest the assassins creed series is.
Its a shame these games are the introduction to gaming for many.

It's not a problem i run into very often but it's something that for sure happens. When it happens i don't make much of it. I'm in peace, i don't feel the need to finish something i'm not enjoying.

Last one i remember is Divinity original sin 2. I enjoyed the first one a lot. Beat it and made a second run which i enjoyed even more, but with 2? I don't know what it is, but it's not the same. It seems fucking boring to me.

I tried as hard i could but there was no way. I abandoned and couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom