• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does abandoning games you've sunk significant time in bother you?

Duchess

Nah. I got to what I thought was the end of Rogue Galaxy, then found out there was yet another series of battles to do. I figured I'd played it enough by then, so was happy to stop.

Just put 70hrs in on The Division 2, loved every minute of it, until suddenly I didn't, and realised it would be just a never ending grind from now on, replaying the same missions but with tweaked enemy stats to make them harder, so stopped and moved on to the next game.

Life's too short.

I had the same moment with Fallout 76 last night. Routine search mission turned out to be an Enclave dungeon crawl. Hard going as Fallout is so miserly with its weapons....then my good weapon broke. Turned off and deleted the game. No fun anymore

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah, it does. I prefer reaching the end. Which is why I rarely play open world games, and in particular Ubisoft games.

Dr.D00p

Yeah, it does. I prefer reaching the end. Which is why I rarely play open world games, and in particular Ubisoft games.

When you've played one Assassins Creed, Far Cry or Watchdogs game, you've played them all. They're the very definition of generic 'cookie cutter' game design to feed the rabble.

Kimahri

Banned
When you've played one Assassins Creed, Far Cry or Watchdogs game, you've played them all. They're the very definition of generic 'cookie cutter' game design to feed the rabble.
Yeah, which sucks. Because I find the settings for manye of their games interesting. I really want to play Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla for their subject matter, but my god, can't be bothered. Played 30 minutes of Odyssey and I was out of there.

Orta

Banned
Still annoys me to this day I gave up on Vice City and GTA4 after ploughing a significant amount of time into both. And I know I'll never go back to them.

royox

No, why should it?
I had fun while playing? Yes, then it was worth it every minute playing and you can move on to a new game.

I have a friend that invested literal years of real play-time on WoW that still plays cause "I invested too much money and time on this game, I can't leave or it will be for nothing". I don't share this mentality.

Concern

Depends on the game. MG:R, fuck that game lol. I was stuck on the final boss over like 2 weeks before i finally sent it back to gamefly.

Ark on the other hand. I was bothered cuz of some circumstances my base and 40 plus animals were destroyed when I logged in one day. I was not about to start all over again.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Depends, but yeah, sunk cost often gets me. It's rare that I'll get past the halfway point in a game and drop it out of boredom, I'll usually see it through to the end.

Last game I did that with was Control. The world was kinda interesting but the gameplay was so fucking boring, I just had no desire to see it through.

DonJorginho

Banned
Happened to me on a much smaller scale with Bioshock Infinite, I tried and tried to love this game but it was such a shite experience, and when I deleted it and moved on, only to find out I had 2 hours left I was pretty pissed, but I soon got over it, mostly anyway.

rubenburgt

The only good example I can think of is Overwatch.

I loved playing thag game and I haven't spent hundreds of hours in it.

I dropped it because the balancing philosophy shifted to suit solely the esport scene causing the game to be unbalanced for the other 99% of the playerbase, and believe me when I say that it is clearly noticeable.

Because I have seen the game gradually decrease to its current terrible state do I not feel bothered dropping it.

ShivinN

Gold Member
Sometimes I purposely won't finish a game because I don't want it to be over....I do that with tv-series as well.

Jokerevo

Banned
No. I still believe in the pump and dump.

If I still enjoy pumping I will therefore delay dumping.

I personally do not understand why people force themselves to finish a game they are clearly not enjoying. Time is precious.

This is also why I have only completed a handful of games in the last 5 years and also why my backlog is so huge that I will forever dwell in its shadow <dabs tear>

Top Bottom