• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anybody feel like they have no political home anymore?

Woggleman

Jan 1, 2020
I am a liberal but more of a 60s kind of liberal than an SJW. I believe in freedom and for people to live their lives as they see fit and that no person should ever be treated as a second class citizen. I am also a staunch believer in free speech and free expression. That being said I find myself more and more distanced from the left. I don't like Donald Trump but I understand his appeal. I understand how people got so fed up with the PC crap and walking eggshells that somebody who stomps all over them with glee would resonate. Until the left understands how this happened it won't stop. When Donald Trump looks like the sane option compared to you maybe you need to take stock of your movement. You can't breathe anymore without some woke internet mob coming for your head.

I also can't stand much of the alt right who also get offended by everything and see anything that features a woman, minority or gay person as some woke conspiracy. I also feel that freedom applies to gays who want to marry and women having the right to abortions. People need to mind their business.

I just find myself increasingly disillusioned with the trainwreck that society has become on both sides.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
This woke nonsense is off-putting to a lot of people, including a lot of Democrats. I believe that's why Joe Biden won the primary so overwhelmingly. For all his flaws, being woke isn't one of them.

• LOL
Reactions: Sign

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Unless there's another outsider running that is like throwing a human hand grenade into the DC establishment, I may never vote again after Trump leaves office. I don't have any desire to vote for scummy establishment Republicans or Democrats. Democrats especially since they've gone batshit insane.

Reactions: slavia71

Sterling88

Sep 19, 2019
I also can't stand much of the alt right who also get offended by everything and see anything that features a woman, minority or gay person as some woke conspiracy.
9 times out of 10 there's absolutely an agenda behind it. Not conforming to that doesn't make someone 'alt right'.

Reactions: brettski2024

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
This woke nonsense is off-putting to a lot of people, including a lot of Democrats. I believe that's why Joe Biden won the primary so overwhelmingly. For all his flaws, being woke isn't one of them.
It's worse because he's obviously a bigoted old white man himself, but he panders like crazy to the woke crowd in an attempt to get their vote. He's a shit bag who is also disingenuous and a liar and is just going with whatever his handlers tell him will get him the win.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The Libertarian Party isn't terribly viable. Their highest-ranking public official is Justin Amash, who ran as a Republican in his last election. The next highest-ranking office holders are eight mayors.
Oops, I was mistaken then. The 'third' I was thinking of was the Green party. I guess Libertarian party is a fourth.

Spare the lengthy platitudes about party viability and lesser of two evils. United States parties didn't materialize out of thin air. The stagnation is caused by chumps like you who "vote blue no matter who".

We tend to treat Federal politics as the big show while ignoring local. In reality our political system is designed to slowly grow from the local levels upward until influence at the federal level is gained (grassroots movements, in other words).

Reactions: hariseldon

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
Oops, I was mistaken then. The 'third' I was thinking of was the Green party. I guess Libertarian party is a fourth.

Spare the lengthy platitudes about party viability and lesser of two evils. United States parties didn't materialize out of thin air. The stagnation is caused by chumps like you who "vote blue no matter who".

We tend to treat Federal politics as the big show while ignoring local. In reality our political system is designed to slowly grow from the local levels upward until influence at the federal level is gained (grassroots movements, in other words).
The Green Party has even fewer officeholders than the Libertarians do. I'm not saying that its an ideal situation -- but both Greens and Libertarians have had quite a bit of time to grow their movements.

Mar 18, 2018
The Green Party has even fewer officeholders than the Libertarians do. I'm not saying that its an ideal situation -- but both Greens and Libertarians have had quite a bit of time to grow their movements.
Movements grow by people voting..................................................................................................................................... and that is the problem. Too many people who vote for a Dem or Repub just because they don't want to see the other side win instead of voting for one of the other candidates. And they always find a reason to hate the other 'small' guy while playing off the reasons to not vote for the people they vote for.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Joe Biden might not be woke now but he will be forced to cater to them.
Joe Biden is a braindead puppet being dragged around by the DNC because they decided his name recognition and association with the Obama admin make him their best hope to beat Trump. He is, quite literally, an empty vessel. All of his "thoughts" and "positions" were programmed in him by his handlers, with the possible exception that you're not black unless you vote for him.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
There should be no political “home.” Politics aren’t sports. Politicians aren’t deities or super heroes. They are imperfect avatars meant to best represent the makeup of their constituents. Nothing more.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
But you get screwed in primaries.
You're screwed in the primaries either way. It's not like the Democrats ran anybody worth voting for. A year ago Warren was looking pretty good and then she basically sold her soul trying for power and failed.

I consider Biden or Trump as "getting screwed", might as well maintain my principles while it happens.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
You're screwed in the primaries either way. It's not like the Democrats ran anybody worth voting for. A year ago Warren was looking pretty good and then she basically sold her soul trying for power and failed.

I consider Biden or Trump as "getting screwed", might as well maintain my principles while it happens.
Well I was thinking more about 2024, and hopefully the return of at least some semblance of sanity in U.S. politics.

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
I don't think this OP makes sense. Within the span of maybe one sentence, it goes from saying "I understand wokeness has gone too far" to "not everything is a woke conspiracy." Pick one.

I also don't think this general sentiment, which we've obviously been hearing and saying ourselves a lot over the last three years, really holds up on closer inspection. One political party is operating within the ordinary bounds of American policy. The other is demanding that men have access to gynecologists. Like many here, I grew up hating the Republican party for their reckless military intervention and dogmatic adherence to international free trade. In case you haven't been paying attention, Donald Trump reversed the parties on that now.

My real problem with this thread, as Stouffers Stouffers pointed out, is that we shouldn't be looking for political "homes." You should have an open mind and use your judgment to support candidates, not parties, that best align with your worldview and station. When the Democrats represented my positions on my primary issues, I trusted them to be right about the other issues, too, and that was a mistake.

Case in point: abortion. I strongly encourage you guys to scrutinize this issue with the same skepticism that put other long-held liberal dogma into question. I was pro-choice myself until I took an honest look at the science behind embryology. We can make all the emotional appeals we want, but it's still the destruction of an alive human.

The one sentiment I routinely see that throws me for a loop in these threads is "I don't like the way the Left is going, but I support gay marriage." Does anyone here sincerely think this issue is still in play?

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
I don't think this OP makes sense. Within the span of maybe one sentence, it goes from saying "I understand wokeness has gone too far" to "not everything is a woke conspiracy." Pick one.

I also don't think this general sentiment, which we've obviously been hearing and saying ourselves a lot over the last three years, really holds up on closer inspection. One political party is operating within the ordinary bounds of American policy. The other is demanding that men have access to gynecologists. Like many here, I grew up hating the Republican party for their reckless military intervention and dogmatic adherence to international free trade. In case you haven't been paying attention, Donald Trump reversed the parties on that now.

My real problem with this thread, as Stouffers Stouffers pointed out, is that we shouldn't be looking for political "homes." You should have an open mind and use your judgment to support candidates, not parties, that best align with your worldview and station. When the Democrats represented my positions on my primary issues, I trusted them to be right about the other issues, too, and that was a mistake.

Case in point: abortion. I strongly encourage you guys to scrutinize this issue with the same skepticism that put other long-held liberal dogma into question. I was pro-choice myself until I took an honest look at the science behind embryology. We can make all the emotional appeals we want, but it's still the destruction of an alive human.

The one sentiment I routinely see that throws me for a loop in these threads is "I don't like the way the Left is going, but I support gay marriage." Does anyone here sincerely think this issue is still in play?
He doesn't have to pick one. They can both be true at the same time. That's the point. There's too much partisan bullshit on both sides. It's making things difficult.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Movements grow by people voting..................................................................................................................................... and that is the problem. Too many people who vote for a Dem or Repub just because they don't want to see the other side win instead of voting for one of the other candidates. And they always find a reason to hate the other 'small' guy while playing off the reasons to not vote for the people they vote for.
Our voting system is part of the problem. Reforming it won't solve all our problems, but I think it'll be a good start.

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Don’t feel bad that you don’t belong to a heard of like minded dilettantes. Being an independent mind may not get you many friends, but the ones you get are worthwhile. And you will sleep better at night knowing you didn’t bend your beliefs to be part of the crowd.

zcaa0g

Sep 3, 2018
Elections in every country has never been about the best candidate; it's always been about which candidate will do the least amount of damage.

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
UK here. I've never had a political home.

I've always voted for the person who I think will do the best job leading the country and vote for the party who I believe has the best manifesto. I've voted for different parties and political figures all across the political spectrum.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
The Libertarian Party isn't terribly viable. Their highest-ranking public official is Justin Amash, who ran as a Republican in his last election. The next highest-ranking office holders are eight mayors.
If they are not viable it is because people are conditioned to "vote blue no matter who" or "vote trump or the commies take over".

They are only not-viable because YOU MAKE THEM NOT VIABLE.
Vote for them and eventually they will become a political force that can not be ignored.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I also can't stand much of the alt right who also get offended by everything and see anything that features a woman, minority or gay person as some woke conspiracy.
First off, the alt right is a meaningless term used to disparage people. That's why Tim Pool and Joe Rogan get called alt-right adjacent in news articles. The actual alt-right seems to be a tiny group of people who are mostly just edgy.

But the actual point of my post - don't think of it as a 'woke conspiracy', nobody else does. A better way to think of it is 'ideological agenda'. The ideology of woke is intersectional feminism, which is a collectivist mind virus in which people are not individuals, but rather a neverending cross-section of their immutable characteristics rated for societal power.

Thus, a woman has insight a man doesn't due to male priviledge blinding the male. A black woman has insight a white woman can't. A lesbian... and on and on. Conversely, a 'cis' white male sits atop this pyramid, even if they live in a trailer home. A gay biracial male who can pass for white and straight sits beside him.

The ideology requires full acceptance and no questions. If you criticize it you are a bigot or a nazi. If you cross it accidentally, you will be cancelled unless you apologize profusely and kneel. You still may be cancelled anyway. Ever fearful of being canceled themselves, no one stands up the accused, no matter how ridiculous the supposed crime. Rather, virtue signalling is rewarded as it proves woke credentials- it's a badge of honor to find sexism in some old Christmas song, or racism in a revered movie.

Seen through this ideology, everything becomes racist. If a barista serves a black man too fast, they are racist because they are embarrassed to be serving a black man. If they serve them too slow, its because they don't respect them.

The academically inclined proponents of this ideology believe everything is social construct, not reality. For example, there are no differences between genders, to them it is just socially enforced dogma. A man can be a woman. A woman can be a man. Challenge this and you are a transphobic nazi. But they also embrace this challenge as proof they are being victimized.

But more importantly, this idea of reality being a social construct permeates everything, and since they believe media defines our social roles, it explains why woke idealogy infects everything. The patriarchy will always rule when Dr. Who is male... so Dr. Who must be female, now... and heck, lets change cannon and make the original Dr. Who a black female too. John Conner can not be savior, and must be killed and the franchise rewritten. Rewrite media to create a new reality.

"We've kind of got to tell a lie. We'll go back into history and there will be black people where, historically, there wouldn't have been, and we won't dwell on that. We'll say, 'To hell with it, this is the imaginary, better version of the world. By believing in it, we'll summon it forth'." - Steven Moffat, executive producer, Dr. Who
And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed – if all records told the same tale – then the lie passed into history and became truth. "Who controls the past," ran the Party slogan, "controls the future: who controls the present controls the past." And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. "Reality control," they called it: in Newspeak, "doublethink." -George Orwell, 1984
And so to destroy the 'patriarchy', male leads must be replaced. Race must be swapped. Sexuality must be forefront. This is not a conspiracy per se - there isn't group of shadowy individuals clasping their hands together. Rather, it's a plethora of cult members pushing the same ideology into everything they touch. Movies, video games, knitting, board games, you name it, and woke idealogy will try to infect and subvert it. Churches. Colleges. Didn't you hear? Even math is racist now. History is wrong, it must be rewritten [see the laughable 1619 project].

It's a woke individual getting a HR position and only hiring people who are woke. It's a woke casting director. It's a non-woke person keeping their mouth shut out of fear. It's reeducation redressed as 'diversity and inclusion' training. It's a power trip.

Think back a few decades. Nobody cared Alien starred a woman - she was badass. Sarah Conner was a beast in T2. Nobody had any issues with strong female leads... because it was a non-issue. And it still is. The issue is that a bunch of ideologically driven cultists are piloting the ship now. So Luke must be turned into a broken old man, and Rey must be all powerful because no woman needs a mentor. Bond's sexuality must be ridiculed and stepped on. Joel must [REDACTED]. She-ra must be a lesbian. The issue isn't about women being superheroes, or gay people being present, it's about this being done in a way that is a giant fuck you to the fandom because they're literally telling the fans to fuck off while they redesign culture to fit their ideology.

It's why they don't care if woke reboots destroy franchises. They aren't trying to make good movies. Hell, they din't want people going back and watching the old versions anyway. They want these old movies and ideas burned to the ground. Read their theories, and they'll tell you this straight up. Now, again, I am not saying every person involved even knows they are doing this. Some are just having fun. But it's all part of the overreaching idealogy.

And this is why people are pissed off when they see yet another franchise get rewritten to fit the ideology of woke. It's because the mind virus is spreading. And while it claims to be anti-racist, or anti-fascist, or this or that, and paints anyone calling it out as alt-right or nazi or phobe or ist, the truth is, wokeness is pure, unadulterated racism, sexism, cultural fascism. Race baiting, regressive, censorial drivel that is far worse than even the Satanic Panic of the 80s.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I'm quite at home with Trump's Republican party.

People can keep wishing for that greener grass on the other side and always be disappointed.

Woggleman

Jan 1, 2020
By 60s I mean hippy counter culture types. My parents are hippies who didn't sellout once Reagan ran for pres and they can't stand the super woke people who wake every day looking for reasons to be offended. That being said there is a section of people on the right who deem anything they don't like as having some leftist agenda. Both sides see everything as an us vs them culture war and they find a conspiracy in everything.

TindalosPup

Nov 1, 2019
The Middle of Nowhere
An excerpt from George Washington's Final Address that I recall in times I've felt similarly:

In contemplating the causes which may disturb our Union, it occurs as matter of serious concern that any ground should have been furnished for characterizing parties by geographical discriminations, Northern and Southern, Atlantic and Western; whence designing men may endeavor to excite a belief that there is a real difference of local interests and views. One of the expedients of party to acquire influence within particular districts is to misrepresent the opinions and aims of other districts. You cannot shield yourselves too much against the jealousies and heartburnings which spring from these misrepresentations; they tend to render alien to each other those who ought to be bound together by fraternal affection.
He was warning of the formation of parties based on location (this all actually happens anyway, as we know, and caused the Civil War). Those same parties have changed overtime, eventually becoming the two major parties we know today. The point was we should not allow ourselves to be divided, you should not feel at home with a political party, your home is the country and you share it with everyone else here, we lose that when we subscribe to a political party

Oct 26, 2018
True.

Too bad for liberals and the news, the most clicks come from weird stories involving loud SJW trying to stir up trouble. So it's self defeating. They need to promote wacky stories to get ad clicks and traffic.

Nobody wants to read boring stories about moderate liberal or conservative views.

So what happens at vote time is someone like Biden will win the democrat candidacy (as you said). But for some liberal moderates, or people in the middle who get the hint AOC kind of people might gain traction, so they might vote right.

IMO the best way to beat Trump is to stop talking about him. The media has been bad mouthing Trump for years and he still won and is holding up well with approvals. Everyone knows he's arrogant and insults people like he's on The Apprentice. So promoting that is moot point. Nobody cares. Trump loves it and does it on his own Twitter.

If they want the left to win, what they should do is avoid Trump talk and focus on promoting moderate lefties like Biden, Amy, Pete where the majority of left wing people can gravitate to. And stop with the AOC stuff... which was a big thing last summer which turns off most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: belmarduk

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
I hear you OP the far left and the far right have a Very low tolerance for opposing viewpoints but in my experience cancel culture is more of a leftist tendency. If I post something fiscally or socially conservative like the scientific fact that there’s a biological difference between male and female on a leftist forum or sub reddit I’m probably getting banned. But if I say I agree with abortion only under certain circumstances like rape, incest, life of the mother or extreme disability of the infant on a rightist forum I’m probably getting yelled at but not banned. Here are my hot takes on the politics of a few popular sites:

Twitter is the worst way to have a nuanced conversation since it’s all drive by character limited hot takes...But essential for news.

Facebook sucks because I really don’t want to get into it with friends, extended family, friends of friends or people I haven’t seen in years on political issues or like tote the fact I own a firearm now with people I know. Useless for news.

Reddit is okay because it’s a long form conversation but you tend to get waaay more crazies on either side because of the anonymity. Essential for news. Good discussions on news

Neogaf my favorite I don’t agree with everyone 100% of the time but at least I won’t get banned or called out. Good discussions on news.

ERA Fuck those guys zero tolerance and too sensitive. Gaming news is good but they’re probably going to drive more sites like DF off.

Youtube: I just watch...I don’t even bother commenting for the most part. Good for news linked from other sources above.

Last edited:

TwoDurans

Formerly 'One (1) Giant Size Novelty Sexual Device'
Apr 23, 2011
I am a liberal but more of a 60s kind of liberal than an SJW. I believe in freedom and for people to live their lives as they see fit and that no person should ever be treated as a second class citizen. I am also a staunch believer in free speech and free expression. That being said I find myself more and more distanced from the left. I don't like Donald Trump but I understand his appeal. I understand how people got so fed up with the PC crap and walking eggshells that somebody who stomps all over them with glee would resonate. Until the left understands how this happened it won't stop. When Donald Trump looks like the sane option compared to you maybe you need to take stock of your movement. You can't breathe anymore without some woke internet mob coming for your head.

I also can't stand much of the alt right who also get offended by everything and see anything that features a woman, minority or gay person as some woke conspiracy. I also feel that freedom applies to gays who want to marry and women having the right to abortions. People need to mind their business.

I just find myself increasingly disillusioned with the trainwreck that society has become on both sides.
It's almost like I wrote this myself. I'm not woke enough for ree, and not retarded enough for GAF politics.

I mostly take to reddit when I want to have a political discussion because at least the volume there makes it seem slightly balanced. And where it's unbalanced, it's more of my kind of echo chamber. I think people should hold politicians to a higher standard, think that it's okay to criticize Trump for playing golf when 100k have died, but also agree that the media should consider talking about something else, and want abortion and gay marriage to be legal, because what you do is none of my business. I also think it's okay to give people who are less fortunate a leg up, but expect them to take that opportunity and do something with it. Most importantly I don't hate republicans for being republicans. Everyone has their reasons for voting the way they do.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: charlie_s123

Chankoras

Apr 3, 2020

Trump presidency is the result of disillusionment with mainstream politicians, so in that sense I think many people feel the way you do.
Since the switch to neoliberal socio, political and economic model, working class has suffered the most, globalization and financialization of the economy has changed the landscape and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
the "left" which in reality is more a center party has become the virtue signaling, coastal elitist party, a sort of political cross dressing happening where they don't care about blue collar working folks, these people might feel more at home with right because at least they speak about issues that affect them such as immigration, but unfortunately the right isn't better, they claim to be fiscal responsible, but can't wait to play trickle down economics at any possible chance they have to fill their own coffers, and the usual corruption stuff that pops from time to time.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
It's almost like I wrote this myself. I'm not woke enough for ree, and not retarded enough for GAF politics.

I mostly take to reddit when I want to have a political discussion because at least the volume there makes it seem slightly balanced. And where it's unbalanced, it's more of my kind of echo chamber. I think people should hold politicians to a higher standard, think that it's okay to criticize Trump for playing golf when 100k have died, but also agree that the media should consider talking about something else, and want abortion and gay marriage to be legal, because what you do is none of my business. I also think it's okay to give people who are less fortunate a leg up, but expect them to take that opportunity and do something with it. Most importantly I don't hate republicans for being republicans. Everyone has their reasons for voting the way they do.
I don't think there's anything there that would get you much hassle in the world of GAF politics tbh - sure we have a few vocal nutters but for the most part those views aren't massively out of line with the average, nor would they get you much grief (I guess you might get some Trumpers on your case for criticising Trump but you'd get just as many telling them to can it).