• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually enjoy looking at those fanmade unreal engine etc. tech demo/remaster things?

Do you actually enjoy looking at those fanmade unreal engine etc. tech demos?

• Total voters

supernova8

Banned
Every 5 seconds we have another one of these "wow look it's space invaders reimagined in Unreal Engine 8!".

I'm honestly getting sick of them. Of course the remedy is "don't look at them then" but where's the fun in that?
Especially in the last few weeks/months it's as if every other new thread is one of these "omg unreal engine 28 pong!".

I already put some people on ignore because they seems to spam GAF with obscure indie games that are almost always lame (hint for one: popular Spanish party island).

Probably will have to do the same with the repeat offenders who keep posting these silly faux tech demo things.

What say you, GAF?
Am I just a grumpy dickhead? Probably!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Kupfer

Fuck those clickbait " XXX in UE5 Remake" videos.
The videos have nothing to do with remakes and are just an attempt to capture the mood and image of a popular game to get precious clicks.
They don't get one click or one second of viewtime from me.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, most of the time I run in to these kinds of videos it’s because someone on GAF posts them.

I usually give the video the benefit of the doubt in those cases since someone here though it was worthwhile, but I’m usually disappointed by the footage 98% of the time.

winjer

Gold Member
There are are few that are well done, and present a cool what if scenario.
But most are quite bad, with low quality assets, a ton of post processing effects to try and hide the bad visuals.
The worst part is when some douchebag creates a clickbait title for a thread or youtube video, claiming it's something amazingly good, but it's just crap.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Some of them can look really good. I guess i just want to see what is possible in the near future.

supernova8

Banned
Pro tip: it's usually the same few users posting these, and you can make most of them disappear by blocking just one or two people.

I'm glad I don't have to see those posts linking to every single clickbait bullshit Bluedrake video about "is this the next best shooter?!" (probably not).

KXVXII9X

A lot of them showcase just how important great art direction is. While a lot have fancy lighting and litter everything with reflections, the overall presentation is inconsistent. Especially, when you see the shoddy animations and physics at play. A game like Zelda BotW may significantly have less graphical fidelity, but it makes up for it in both art/sound direction and beautiful animations and physics. While I don't like these videos, I am coming around to being very excited about UE5. After playing a few games lately with great lighting and detail, I am really eager for more of that.

SeraphJan

I personally love UE5, so anything related interests me, until I could produce better models than these fans, I'm in no position to shitting on them

Last edited:

Paasei

No, they are all the same. Just a bunch of rain and pools for extra reflection.

The only one that was impressive, although I'm not sure it was made by a fan or amateur, was the one on the train station in Unreal 5.

Graphics literally do not matter anymore. No one gives a shit if your game looks cutting edge. The video games industry is completely mainstream now, the small groups of nerds arguing over pixels have no power in the market.

Saber

Gold Member
I found them pretty stupid and quite honestly think are mostly made to appeal ultra realistic fetishes, because every artistic vision is lost with the transition.

supernova8

Banned
No, they are all the same. Just a bunch of rain and pools for extra reflection.

The only one that was impressive, although I'm not sure it was made by a fan or amateur, was the one on the train station in Unreal 5.
That one in particular was more of a tech demo for the tech itself (it wasn't any game) rather than "hey check out [insert game] reimagined [badly] in Unreal Engine 5!" so I'm not really counting that.

Aure

Banned
No, it frustrates and infuriates the hell out of me. I absolutely despise them beyond belief.
I hate every single one of them because there isn't even a chance to play it, so i dislike the vids automatically.

Fbh

Not really, there's only very few of them that actually look good and even those tend to look bad in motion because of bad animations.

They also almost never showcase proper gameplay. It's usually a poorly animated character waking around a static environment

daveonezero

Banned
I think they are cool personal projects and people getting practice with the tools.

No harm in them. But they aren’t that interesting.

No, it frustrates and infuriates the hell out of me. I absolutely despise them beyond belief.
I hate every single one of them because there isn't even a chance to play it, so i dislike the vids automatically.
There is nothing to play. It is just a model walking around an environment.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they are fine on their own. i don't care what people do with their time and if people enjoy making them then great. i'm just sick of seeing them now and how much attention they get. they are labelled as "remakes" or in some cases as if it's official or going to be a real game. i suppose a positive is that Unreal Engine is so easy to work with now and that's why they are more common now.

i don't want to see another one. they aren't interesting to me. i can't play them. now maybe if it was a real studio making something i can buy and play...

Last edited:
Nope. Also, if there is something in the videos that looks nice, the amateurish animation and lip sync make them look even worse somehow.

Sleepwalker

Only mine...:messenger_tears_of_joy:

but yeah ... most of them just look like there's something off...
and then the others are literally just models plopped into that kite demo scene in Unreal

Ok pal, now to get you a job at gamefreak asap. Not saying it looks super awesome but the bar isn't high for pokemon and you'd be an improvement for sure.

• LOL
Reactions: MP!
Video game development has way too many people who can create on a technical basis but have zero ideas or imagination. Projects like these only highlight that fact.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I personally love UE5, so anything related interests me, until I could produce better models than these fans, I'm in no position to shitting on them
Alot of those models are "stock" assets.
You can easily tell difference between someone who did 1 hours work and somehow who put hours of thought and work into their "demo".
Starting to think these demos are created by u5 devs to flood the internet!
Its a bad look for UE5, cuz a good portion of them are absolutely shit.
Id go as far as to say most of the "xx game remake" ones are really bad.
They just get a bunch of free assets turn lumen on use the third person blueprint with some ugly clothes they didnt bother to rig properly and say XX game Remake in the title for clicks.
Atleast have some art direction, even if you just steal the original games one.

These are interesting uses of Unreal Engine 5 and one of the reasons its a game changer for 3D artists, its producing offline render quality stuff in realtime.
With nextgen GPU/CPUs and the new workflows in Unreal Engine 5....the next "Crysis" moment should be upon us soon.

And yes these two cutscenes are real time Unreal Engine 5, and yes they were rendered on a super beefy PC, and yes their games dont look that good.

Sybrix

Nope, most of the time they dont look good.

And even if they do, they dont amount to anything, none of these projects get the point that they are playable games, and even if they get close they get shut down by the developer of the IP.

Ellery

Kinda cool you are bringing it up, because recently I wanted to comment in one of those threads about fanmade UE5 videos that I never watch those videos, because of how they can affect your perception of games and skew your expectations.

I avoid this as much as I can. Sure I've seen a video here and there of Ocarina of Time or so, but if I want to look at overpromising underdelivering graphical showcases of games that don't work in reality I'll just watch some Ubisoft E3 presentations.

Those tech demos will never come out and never be playable and all of them are going for the graphical wow affect mostly for people that have a very subjective perception of what graphics are and see some shiny textures which impresses them way too much.

If people play around with it and find a job because they impressed a studio or developers it then that is extremely cool, but as a consumer it is like watching Scalebound and Deep Down trailers.

Top Bottom