• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else remember when Sony added that "gimmicky" second stick to the Playstation controller? (Dual Analogue)

Birdo

Banned
Anyone remember the Negcon for PS1? Was kind of a wild concept.

Qwyx9FpuLevIt-OmRTmaU94jm4K1yCP5a3AhpNlaR69GmkWDiiEiC3Dv2AOyRt68LpuosTldEW6yqQaH32bfnsMNTbYnWghF5iwDJuXJ5nDFQj9SSyOkH8Su

Animagic

Banned
almost no developer actually used the right stick like that at first tho. even games with controllable cameras and analog support often had the camera controls bound to the shoulder buttons.
Soul Reaver for example has full analog movement support, but the camera is still controlled with R2 and L2.

it took a while until developers actually wrapped their heads around the concept of a camera stick
Alien Resurrection was famously mocked in reviews for the dual stick controls that are standard today

Last edited:

Aldynes

a way more sensical option is the 1.2 option tho, where you use the Dpad for movement and the stick for camera. the 2.2 option is a funny little quirk but entirely useless for anyone who actually wants to play somewhat comfortably lol
The Turok layout, always played like that on N64 it's the best way in my opinion

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The dual analog sticks on the PS1 was probably one of the greatest innovations in controller tech ever. It's just so natural to use.

I'm still amused by the Gamespot's review of the Alien Resurrection:

Yep, that control scheme that is used by literally every FPS that followed. Knowing they wrote that probably still keeps the reviewer awake at night ...

Alien Resurrection is a forgotten classic. It should get more recognition as being the pioneer for console FPS controls that we still use today.

chaseroni

I feel like Astro's Playroom has a lot of Ape Escape DNA in there, showing off the controller in unique ways.
There's even an Ape Escape reference!

0yAZCH1.jpg

I was really impressed with the way that game utilized the dual sticks back in the day, really creative game to show what the hardware could do.

yurinka

During the PS1, the original stick didn't have analogs. First they released the "Dual Analog Controller" for PS1, and later the first "Dual Shock" for PS1.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Actual testimony taken by a fly on the wall at Sony!s R&D*:

”So, Nintendo has one of these and uhm, it seems to work pretty well.”
”OK, we’ll put one there too.”
”Oh, and they also have this optional rumble that’s pretty fun.”
”We’ll incorporate it right into the controller.”
”Perfect. Wait a second though, the controller now looks pretty fugly with this thing in the middle.”
”...”
”...”
”... Eureka! We’ll have TWO sticks! Incidentally, that’s one more than Nintendo have! That will sound AWESOME on ads!”
”OK, but... what does it do?
”Don’t worry, some weirdo will figure it out.”

*probably not actual testimony. Also, I can’t really speak to flies.

I got one of those first models with concave sticks and no rumble. Nothing to do with it for a while, but I needed a second controller and thought, why the hell not?

MastaKiiLA

The Dual Analog was awesome. I prefer it to every generation of DS that followed it, for 2 reasons:
  1. It had concave tops to the sticks. I really don't get the convex sticks, but I probably don't hold my controller like everyone else.
  2. It was larger. It was the perfect size IMO, and I don't have large hands. I felt more comfortable with that controller than any other.
I didn't care that it didn't have rumble. The controller was perfect. I never second-guessed the addition of a second stick, because I knew that it would benefit 3D games. If you played Goldeneye a lot, you already know how much a second stick would have improved the experience.

Holammer

Argonauts were so ahead of the curve, guys were doing 3D on Gameboy, Starfox, heavily "inspired" the tech for mario 64, it would be funny to see all the idea they came up with.
So ahead of the curve that Nintendo poached a bunch of coders from them. :p

The Dual Analog was awesome. I prefer it to every generation of DS that followed it, for 2 reasons:
  1. It had concave tops to the sticks. I really don't get the convex sticks, but I probably don't hold my controller like everyone else.
  2. It was larger. It was the perfect size IMO, and I don't have large hands. I felt more comfortable with that controller than any other.
I didn't care that it didn't have rumble. The controller was perfect. I never second-guessed the addition of a second stick, because I knew that it would benefit 3D games. If you played Goldeneye a lot, you already know how much a second stick would have improved the experience.

Yeah. Dual Shock was smaller because the Japanese preferred shorter grips, and Sony couldn't be bothered to alter it back from there when it went global. Took 3 more gens to release a version that didn't suck.

Top Bottom